Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wasn't there some concern that it would run afoul of the parliamentarian or something?

There always is.

What's the court going to do? Strike down the annual budget, bring government to a halt and crash everything because the Senate played a little loose with their own rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The conservative argument from SCOTUS's side isn't necessarily "SOMEONE BENEFITS" so much as it's "if Congress had meant to give anywhere near this much benefit to this many people, they probably would have said so in the original law Biden is trying to stretch here". Which isn't a terribly unreasonable argument, unfortunately.

The real questions at hand were whether the Court is going to let Biden exploit Congress's mistakes or step in to correct them, as well as whether anyone could convince the Court they had standing to get involved in the first place.

Ok now let’s do that with the 2001 AUMF.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

There always is.

What's the court going to do? Strike down the annual budget, bring government to a halt and crash everything because the Senate played a little loose with their own rules?

Well the argument is probably that if the parliamentarian rules against it the senate majority isn't going to override her, even though they can. Not that the court has any say over senate rules, the constitution is quite clear that each house of congress is the sole arbiter of its own rules (with some specifically noted exceptions: quorum, etc)

Ultimately the issue is that congress is less interested in governing than in finding someone else to blame for their failure to govern, and the court is all too happy to take all the heat for imposing unpopular conservative legislation on the country.

The story should be all about how congress refused and still refuses to address the student loan crisis, but it's all going to be about how that mean old court stopped a good thing from happening but whaddya gonna do they're there for life, and everyone's just gonna kind of forget that we elect people every two years who have the power to fix these problems but choose not to use it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Farchanter posted:

IIRC Twitter even coded a procedural Nazi suppression filter, but elected to not actually deploy it because Neonazi politicians kept getting caught in the dragnet.

fixed

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

An interesting fact I learned today:

The concept of judicial review in the US was not started with Marbury v Madison, but by a case called Bayard v Singleton in the North Carolina Supreme Court.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

pencilhands posted:

An interesting fact I learned today:

The concept of judicial review in the US was not started with Marbury v Madison, but by a case called Bayard v Singleton in the North Carolina Supreme Court.

Judicial review as a concept of older than America and was assumed by the founding fathers when they didn't bake in parliamentary supremacy. It just took a while to recognize.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1640428641762054144

Gorsuch and Kavanaugh dissented.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/032723zor_nmjp.pdf

Gorsuch posted:

However much the district court may have thought Mr.
Donziger warranted punishment, the prosecution in this
case broke a basic constitutional promise essential to our
liberty. In this country, judges have no more power to initiate
a prosecution of those who come before them than
prosecutors have to sit in judgment of those they charge. In
the name of the “United States,” two different groups of
prosecutors have asked us to turn a blind eye to this promise.
Respectfully, I would not. With this Court’s failure to
intervene today, I can only hope that future courts weighing
whether to appoint their own prosecutors will consider
carefully Judge Menashi’s dissenting opinion in this case,
the continuing vitality of Young, and the limits of its reasoning.
Our Constitution does not tolerate what happened
here.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 28, 2023

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

What do you think about the merits of the case?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm with Steve. That was insane bullshit.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Fuschia tude posted:

I tend to agree with Gorsuch that a judge hiring a private law firm to prosecute the case is ridiculous. The merits of the contempt case itself are irrelevant since the District Court declined to prosecute.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Frankly if there's anyone bribing judges I think it's more likely to be the giant oil company.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Harold Fjord posted:

Frankly if there's anyone bribing judges I think it's more likely to be the giant oil company.

Yeah. I rather doubt the guy was bribing anyone, especially enough to overcome oil company bribe money. The Ecuadorean court arrived at it's judgement because, gasp!, the merits were on the plaintiff side and there were large national interests in preserving the Amazon

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Does this mean that at least two of Kagan, Sotomayor, and Jackson voted to deny cert? Is that surprising?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

raminasi posted:

Does this mean that at least two of Kagan, Sotomayor, and Jackson voted to deny cert? Is that surprising?

They all did. Beer and Gorsuch were the only two who dissented. There's probably some kind of reason for it, but none of them put their reasoning in writing. If I had to guess, I'd say it's most likely because there's a precedent from the 1980's that Gorsuch mentions in his dissent where a court “approved the use of court-appointed prosecutors as a ‘last resort’ in certain criminal contempt cases." So while it's undoubtedly a conflict of interests, unfair, and almost assuredly bad, it's a thing that's happened before.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ershalim posted:

They all did. Beer and Gorsuch were the only two who dissented. There's probably some kind of reason for it, but none of them put their reasoning in writing. If I had to guess, I'd say it's most likely because there's a precedent from the 1980's that Gorsuch mentions in his dissent where a court “approved the use of court-appointed prosecutors as a ‘last resort’ in certain criminal contempt cases." So while it's undoubtedly a conflict of interests, unfair, and almost assuredly bad, it's a thing that's happened before.

Oh, I thought that the cert up-or-down votes weren't public and we only knew who dissented when they published a written dissent. But now that I think about it, it wouldn't make any sense for a dissenter to dissent without joining or at least mentioning a different published dissent, so, yeah, ok.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ershalim posted:

Only 2 published something and 4 are needed to hear a case. Does that leave the possibility that one justice voted to hear the case but didn’t want to join the opinion for whatever reason?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

hobbesmaster posted:

Only 2 published something and 4 are needed to hear a case. Does that leave the possibility that one justice voted to hear the case but didn’t want to join the opinion for whatever reason?

I've only seen it written as "the two conservative justices" but I guess it's possible that one of the three liberal justices dissented but opted out of signing on or writing their own dissent. That feels unlikely, though. Dissents are really useful for future rulings and signaling that "hey this poo poo sucks." And this poo poo does suck, so I'd expect them to be willing to put their name next to someone saying that, if not write a few pages about how it's a blight on our legacy as a nation or whatever.

raminasi posted:

Oh, I thought that the cert up-or-down votes weren't public and we only knew who dissented when they published a written dissent. But now that I think about it, it wouldn't make any sense for a dissenter to dissent without joining or at least mentioning a different published dissent, so, yeah, ok.

Yeah, that's what I based it on. The articles I've seen only mention Beer and Gorsuch, and I really do think this is the kind of thing that you'd want to write something about if you disagreed with it. I guess they think the process is sound, even if the action that brought it about was crazy poo poo, but Gorsuch was more willing to ignore the specific precedent in question in favor of a more fundamental objection to the fact it happened at all?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's confusing because they're talking about the 6-3 Court makeup like we don't all know it already but the overall makeup is less relevant than only two conservative judges being the dissent

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Harold Fjord posted:

They did bribe the judge, openly and legally. No one is denying the enormous compensation they gave him, which the judge characterized as a bribe under oath. However, no one in power has elected to handpick a judge and prosecution firm to address this.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

On cert denials, lack of a written dissent absolutely doesn’t mean that a justice voted for cert - written dissents are uncommon in that circumstance.

Now, because it only takes four votes to grant cert, it’s definite that at least one two of the liberal bloc voted to deny it, but hard to say who (probably Kagan and Jackson though.)

Kalman fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 28, 2023

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Kalman posted:

On cert denials, lack of a written dissent absolutely doesn’t mean that a justice voted for cert - written dissents are uncommon in that circumstance.

Now, because it only takes four votes to grant cert, it’s definite that at least one of the liberal bloc voted to deny it, but hard to say who (probably Kagan though.)

Two, right?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

raminasi posted:

Two, right?

Whoops, yeah. Two must have voted against. Probably Jackson?

(Also there is some strategy to cert votes - if the liberal justices think they’re going to get a bad opinion out of it that’ll make things worse overall, they might vote against cert even if they think the underlying ruling was bad.)

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Ershalim posted:

Yeah, that's what I based it on. The articles I've seen only mention Beer and Gorsuch, and I really do think this is the kind of thing that you'd want to write something about if you disagreed with it. I guess they think the process is sound, even if the action that brought it about was crazy poo poo, but Gorsuch was more willing to ignore the specific precedent in question in favor of a more fundamental objection to the fact it happened at all?

The SCOTUS petition is about a relatively narrow, technical question that comes up after the merits of the Ecuador judgment have been litigated. For all the crazy backstory, you want the district court's 2014 order that goes over the trial and the judge's findings. That was upheld in a different opinion.

(The good news is that it's published at 974 F.Supp.2d 362 and can be found online for free. The bad news is that it's roughly as long as The Return of the King, and not nearly as interesting.)

After Donziger loses, the Court issues a series of orders that he refuses to comply with, which he admits for the purposes of this petition. The Court wants to charge him with criminal contempt for disobeying those orders and refers him to DOJ, which declines to prosecute on the basis of insufficient resources - "we still love you and please don't yell at us, but we have better things to do."

At this point there's a rule which says:

quote:

(2) Appointing a Prosecutor. The court must request that the contempt be prosecuted by an attorney for the government, unless the interest of justice requires the appointment of another attorney. If the government declines the request, the court must appoint another attorney to prosecute the contempt.

There's also a case (Young v. U.S. ex rel Vuitton*) which affirms the court's power to appoint a private prosecutor, so that's what the district court does for the contempt charge. Most of the arguments on appeal are about whether the prosecutor is exercising an inherent judicial power to punish contempt as Young suggests, or an executive power that would be subject to the Appointments clause - and if it is, whether the prosecutors are inferior officers subject to supervision. Gorsuch and Kav want to read Young narrowly (a "last resort") because they think it conflicts with more recent separation-of-powers cases, and they think there's an Appointments clause problem too. IMO, the majority probably got it right.

* Not surprisingly, the case was about counterfeit handbags. Louis Vuitton got an order telling the defendants not to sell them, and then they did anyway, and then the district court appointed LV's own lawyers as the prosecution for a criminal contempt action. SCOTUS said you can appoint a private prosecutor, you just can't use the other side's lawyers. So at least there's that.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Fuschia tude posted:

It was entirely meritless

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1643929027353124864?s=20

quote:

IN LATE JUNE 2019, right after the U.S. Supreme Court released its final opinion of the term, Justice Clarence Thomas boarded a large private jet headed to Indonesia. He and his wife were going on vacation: nine days of island-hopping in a volcanic archipelago on a superyacht staffed by a coterie of attendants and a private chef.

If Thomas had chartered the plane and the 162-foot yacht himself, the total cost of the trip could have exceeded $500,000. Fortunately for him, that wasn’t necessary: He was on vacation with real estate magnate and Republican megadonor Harlan Crow, who owned the jet — and the yacht, too.

The extent and frequency of Crow’s apparent gifts to Thomas have no known precedent in the modern history of the U.S. Supreme Court.

These trips appeared nowhere on Thomas’ financial disclosures. His failure to report the flights appears to violate a law passed after Watergate that requires justices, judges, members of Congress and federal officials to disclose most gifts, two ethics law experts said. He also should have disclosed his trips on the yacht, these experts said.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 6, 2023

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Is there anything Justice Roberts could do within his position as Chief Justice, or is it impeachment or literally nothing in terms of any repercussions?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

So It Goes posted:

Is there anything Justice Roberts could do within his position as Chief Justice, or is it impeachment or literally nothing in terms of any repercussions?

Roberts can yell at him and manipulate which opinions he gets to write, but he can't prevent him from contributing his vote to rulings or writing concurrences and dissents. It's impeachment or death for that (because it won't be resignation)

Or Congress could enact a binding code of conduct for Supreme Court justices, bringing them into line with the rest of the judicial system, but, well, *gestures wildly*

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

So It Goes posted:

He could begin a campaign of workplace harassment, put pubes on his soda can, stuff like that.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Devor posted:

He could begin a campaign of workplace harassment, put pubes on his soda can, stuff like that.

He could also decapitate Justice Thomas with a zweihander.

I don't expect anything to be done, but it'd be funny if a law setting conduct standards somehow got passed. Mainly because it would inevitably end up in front of SCOTUS.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
And he'd only be angry because Thomas is dumb enough to be so stupidly open about the corruption. Roberts et al absolutely do the same corrupt poo poo, but cloak it in enough Respectable Business layers that they get a pass

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Slaan posted:

And he'd only be angry because Thomas is dumb enough to be so stupidly open about the corruption. Roberts et al absolutely do the same corrupt poo poo, but cloak it in enough Respectable Business layers that they get a pass

I'd give anything to know what Scalia's version of Pierre Delecto was.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

raminasi posted:

Well, they are libs, so no

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SCOTUS intervened in a case that is currently making its way through the courts regarding trans issues

https://twitter.com/AHoweBlogger/status/1644045957095387155?s=20

https://twitter.com/GregStohr/status/1644044836599889921?s=20

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Alito is the least surprising dissent on there, even beyond Thomas.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jaxyon posted:

Alito is the least surprising dissent on there, even beyond Thomas.

the argument is basically the seven sane-ish justices going "yeah the state took eighteen months to get off its rear end, this is not an urgent matter, we are lifting the stay" and the other two going "no u"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

SCOTUS intervened in a case that is currently making its way through the courts regarding trans issues

https://twitter.com/AHoweBlogger/status/1644045957095387155?s=20

https://twitter.com/GregStohr/status/1644044836599889921?s=20

Just to be clear: they didn’t intervene, they ruled on a request presented to them.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

So It Goes posted:

If Thomas violated an actual law mandating disclosing those gifts, couldn't he just be arrested, charged, and tried normally? Supreme Court justice doesn't come with immunity from prosecution and he could hear cases just fine from a prison cell if Congress isn't interested in impeaching him post-conviction

He could appeal his conviction to his own court and vote to strike down the law, but he'd only be one vote there

None of that will actually happen, but there's in theory a mechanism for a justice committing crimes

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Foxfire_ posted:

If Thomas violated an actual law mandating disclosing those gifts, couldn't he just be arrested, charged, and tried normally? Supreme Court justice doesn't come with immunity from prosecution and he could hear cases just fine from a prison cell if Congress isn't interested in impeaching him post-conviction

He could appeal his conviction to his own court and vote to strike down the law, but he'd only be one vote there

None of that will actually happen, but there's in theory a mechanism for a justice committing crimes

Hell you don't even have to be near Supreme Court level to get away with this poo poo as a judge.

Reuters posted:

Among the cases from the past year (2020) alone:

In Utah, a judge texted a video of a man’s scrotum to court clerks. He was reprimanded but remains on the bench.

In Indiana, three judges attending a conference last spring got drunk and sparked a 3 a.m. brawl outside a White Castle fast-food restaurant that ended with two of the judges shot. Although the state supreme court found the three judges had “discredited the entire Indiana judiciary,” each returned to the bench after a suspension.

In Texas, a judge burst in on jurors deliberating the case of a woman charged with sex trafficking and declared that God told him the defendant was innocent. The offending judge received a warning and returned to the bench. The defendant was convicted after a new judge took over the case.

“There are certain things where there should be a level of zero tolerance,” the jury foreman, Mark House, told Reuters. The judge should have been fined, House said, and kicked off the bench. “There is no justice, because he is still doing his job.”

Judicial misconduct specialists say such behavior has the potential to erode trust in America’s courts and, absent tough consequences, could give judges license to behave with impunity.

“When you see cases like that, the public starts to wonder about the integrity and honesty of the system,” said Steve Scheckman, a lawyer who directed Louisiana’s oversight agency and served as deputy director of New York’s. “It looks like a good ol’ boys club.”

That’s how local lawyers viewed the case of a longtime Alabama judge who concurrently served on the state’s judicial oversight commission. The judge, Cullman District Court’s Kim Chaney, remained on the bench for three years after being accused of violating the same nepotism rules he was tasked with enforcing on the oversight commission. In at least 200 cases, court records show, Judge Chaney chose his own son to serve as a court-appointed defense lawyer for the indigent, enabling the younger Chaney to earn at least $105,000 in fees over two years.

In February, months after Reuters repeatedly asked Chaney and the state judicial commission about those cases, he retired from the bench as part of a deal with state authorities to end the investigation.

Tommy Drake, the lawyer who first filed a complaint against Chaney in 2016, said he doubts the judge would have been forced from the bench if Reuters hadn’t examined the case.

“You know the only reason they did anything about Chaney is because you guys started asking questions,” Drake said. “Otherwise, he’d still be there.”

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

haveblue posted:

Roberts can yell at him and manipulate which opinions he gets to write, but he can't prevent him from contributing his vote to rulings or writing concurrences and dissents. It's impeachment or death for that (because it won't be resignation)

Or Congress could enact a binding code of conduct for Supreme Court justices, bringing them into line with the rest of the judicial system, but, well, *gestures wildly*

They could, but if the terms of that "binding" include removal from the bench, it will be struck down by every single court that hears the case. Congress doesn't have the power to unilaterally rewrite Article III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So you don't remove them from the bench, you pass a new law that states when a judge is serving time they are automatically, forcibly recused from any and all court cases. Then pass another law that says a judge who's a convicted felon is permanently recused from hearing cases as well. Article 3 isn't rewritten because the judge is still on the bench, they're just effectively neutered in their role (a change that can be made without requiring an amendment).

Could the courts just say "gently caress you we strike all this down because we don't like it" like when the SCOTUS usurped Congress's authority in their Shelby County ruling? Sure, but forcing a confrontation and actually trying to address the increasing right wing activist corruption of the judiciary is either going to happen at some point or the US is going to fall into a Christofascist state.