Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Failson posted:

Was compelled to learn if the uncut version of Laserblast made any more sense, but dozed off before Roddy Mcdowall showed up.

Why Maltin thought it deserved 2 1/2 stars remains a mystery.

It earned a whole star for depicting space aliens not as a benevolent force here to help mankind, not as a malevolent force here to torture and murder, but no, two guys that half-assed their job then get chewed out by their boss.

Just like the two dumb cops and the Federal agent guy.

Movie has layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, Joel's talked about how his grandad wanted him to be a preacher. He didn't reject his faith or anything but he said that wasn't for him.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
You said bowling ball earlier, what was that about?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
You cried earlier, what was that about?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Have you seen the movie Cliffhanger?

Sash! posted:

It earned a whole star for depicting space aliens not as a benevolent force here to help mankind, not as a malevolent force here to torture and murder, but no, two guys that half-assed their job then get chewed out by their boss.

Just like the two dumb cops and the Federal agent guy.

Movie has layers.

"Your move Sir, you called us."

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Now get out there and sell Sell SELL!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Failson posted:

Have you seen the movie Cliffhanger?

I didn't see Cliffhanger.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Dawgstar posted:

This is just Earth vs Soup with added blaxploitation lingo

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Dawgstar posted:

This seems painful for you.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The episode titles and the episodes themselves on the Foreverathon have become unsynced, which made me really confused for a moment when I tried to figure out why Jack Palance was suddenly in Eegah and for a moment tried to remember if I had seriously just forgotten him having a small part in the film.

And then someone yelled "CABBOT" and it all fell into place.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

This seems painful for you.

No.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hey Tony, I'm-a being robbed again, could you... oh.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Wow! Ski during January for credit!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Another Bill posted:

Wow! Ski during January for credit!

New petition against tax AGAIN?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The episode titles and the episodes themselves on the Foreverathon have become unsynced, which made me really confused for a moment when I tried to figure out why Jack Palance was suddenly in Eegah and for a moment tried to remember if I had seriously just forgotten him having a small part in the film.

And then someone yelled "CABBOT" and it all fell into place.

Cabot?!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Riff I currently can't get out of my head: Crow's "Ohhhhh, no! The monster did a doo-doo!" in weird surfer/Bob Dylan voice from The Creeping Terror.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

JethroMcB posted:

Riff I currently can't get out of my head: Crow's "Ohhhhh, no! The monster did a doo-doo!" in weird surfer/Bob Dylan voice from The Creeping Terror.

I like Mike's eager "Oh yeah, nightmare time!" at the beginning

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Simplex posted:

It's better than a number of others, it's real notoriety is that it's basically the last movie of the genre.

I've seen it being shown on TCM a couple of times.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any other MST3K movies that have been on TCM. Apparently Alien from LA has been, which is baffling.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Alien From LA is in that weird late 80s/early to mid 90s subcategory that Super Mario Bros and Double Dragon occupy. like...trash-filled semi-comedic dystopia?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Whoolighams posted:

Alien From LA is in that weird late 80s/early to mid 90s subcategory that Super Mario Bros and Double Dragon occupy. like...trash-filled semi-comedic dystopia?

All of them running off Streets of Fire to some degree, it feels like.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I imagine it found it's way to TCM because they were playing movies starring super models or something, so it found its way in.

Catalina Caper was featured on a programming block with beach movies. It was during a summer holiday irc.

TCM does play interesting B movies now and then. I've seen "Them! a couple of times, even "Rodan." No MST3K features that I can recall. I would guess Revenge of the Creature might have been shown at some point, though.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Dawgstar posted:

All of them running off Streets of Fire to some degree, it feels like.

Brazil is something that might fit in there too.

Horrors of Spider Island came up on the stream and it might be a top five for me. perfect kind of movie for the show, a bunch of laugh-out-loud lines, goofy host segments. it's even a pretty watchable movie in the way those cheap semi-exploitation ones are. Gary is such a good dumb cheesy "hunk" too. I'M BOB BOXBODY

e: "a hammer...with a long handle..." THAT'S ME

Whoolighams fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 17, 2024

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I imagine it found it's way to TCM because they were playing movies starring super models or something, so it found its way in.

Catalina Caper was featured on a programming block with beach movies. It was during a summer holiday irc.

TCM does play interesting B movies now and then. I've seen "Them! a couple of times, even "Rodan." No MST3K features that I can recall. I would guess Revenge of the Creature might have been shown at some point, though.

The Alien From LA director made a somewhat noteworthy career out of B movie schlock, though you'd figure that Sword and the Sorceror or Cyborg would be higher up on the list of priorities. So it's not completely out of left field for TCM, I guess.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Keep in mind that TCM used to have a weekly programming block of cult/trash/camp film (It fell victim to post-WBD merger cost-cutting, which sucks. Zaslav was apparently going to take the knives to the entire network before the likes of Spielberg and Scorsese reached out personally to say "What the hell is wrong with you".)

Per that Wikipedia article, they covered a pretty good number of MST3K entries through the years: Alien from LA, Giant Spider Invasion, Incredibly Strange Creatures..., Kitten with a Whip, Monster a Go-Go, The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy, Santa Claus, Santa Claus vs. the Martians, The Thing That Couldn't Die , Zaat/Blood Waters of Dr. Z

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I remember catching a bit of This Island Earth on there once as well

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

The Alien From LA director made a somewhat noteworthy career out of B movie schlock, though you'd figure that Sword and the Sorceror or Cyborg would be higher up on the list of priorities. So it's not completely out of left field for TCM, I guess.

Albert Pyun is a genius. RIP

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Some of those movies made it on their regular programming. They play "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" all the time.

I watched a bunch of these but somehow missed the MST3K ones. I think TCM Underground got pre-empted A LOT when it was on Friday nights.

And yeah that sucks about TCM going downhill, one of the last good things about cable and they're pissing it away.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC when they were talking about making cuts someone revealed that the channel costs basically nothing to actually run. So they wouldn't really be saving any money.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I haven't seen The Million Eyes of Sumuru before, how goofy. Nothing on Agent from H.A.R.M. though

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So H.A.R.M. stands for 'hot and ready, man.'

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ACTION PANTS!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Compendium posted:

I haven't seen The Million Eyes of Sumuru before, how goofy. Nothing on Agent from H.A.R.M. though

Pops, there's a man giving the squish-squash to the ol' wind tube!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Top-knot seems to be in flames, old trench.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My cat's cradle got out of control so I pinned it to the wall.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I caught Journey to the Center of the Earth (1989) on cable late at night many years ago, assumed it was going to be a Jules Verne adaptation from the title, instead got an Alien from LA sequel--and it doesn't even become clear that's what it is until halfway through the movie! I thought I was hallucinating

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1791911688528187576
And then Merlin shows up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

My cat's cradle got out of control so I pinned it to the wall.

This one had me laughing so hard I had to pause the video. I have no idea why certain jokes will just spike right to the gut but that one got me.

I own one of those creepy monkey cymbal toys! I found it in the possessions of a recently-dead person! Still works.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think my favorite random riff is from Carnival Magic "drat tiger shot me!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HopperUK posted:

This one had me laughing so hard I had to pause the video. I have no idea why certain jokes will just spike right to the gut but that one got me.

I own one of those creepy monkey cymbal toys! I found it in the possessions of a recently-dead person! Still works.

How's your dog? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I'm guessing the character was one of the few things not ripped off from King's story, but I hope Tatiana is playing the "My GOD, David" woman