Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

fruit on the bottom posted:

How much of Mass Effect 2 is thanks to EA? Because that was a good game.

I'd say none. You could tell EA was involved by 3 however. Multiplayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

fruit on the bottom posted:

How much of Mass Effect 2 is thanks to EA? Because that was a good game.

Mass Effect 2 had the Cerberus Network DLC (which included the Zaeed character and mission) that required you to buy a new copy of the game to get the code. This was an Electronic Arts mandate to try to suppress used game sales and sharing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When I think of EA, I think of a company that often hires talented people that make good games, and then they run as much corporate interference as possible to make some hypothetical money, which often sabotages said good games. Also, from a consumer angle they are the ones that introduced us to such cool concepts as online passes and threatening that sequels wouldn't be made if enough of us didn't go buy their games week one.

Just look at their official statement on Visceral

quote:

“Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe,” EA’s Patrick Söderlund said in a blog post. “In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.”

They are just the worst

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

When I think of EA, I think of a company that often hires talented people that make good games, and then they run as much corporate interference as possible to make some hypothetical money, which often sabotages said good games. Also, from a consumer angle they are the ones that introduced us to such cool concepts as online passes and threatening that sequels wouldn't be made if enough of us didn't go buy their games week one.

Just look at their official statement on Visceral

They are just the worst
What kind of idiot uses the word “pivot” seriously anymore?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samurai Sanders posted:

What kind of idiot uses the word “pivot” seriously anymore?

how else do you describe graceful turns on ice skates

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hopefully 'games as a service' will eventually bomb as hard as everyone needing their own MMO or MOBA.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

video games are sixty to two thousand dollar rentals

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Hopefully 'games as a service' will eventually bomb as hard as everyone needing their own MMO or MOBA.

It will support a few super popular games that make a shitton of money and the rest will fail

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

it won't, cause they're putting Vegas to shame by managing to put slot machines into every house and phone in the world

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Christ just reboot either TIE Fighter or KotOR, is this so hard to understand

A new TIE Fighter game would kick so much rear end. gently caress it, consoles have USB ports now, make it so you need a keyboard and flight stick I'll still buy it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

homeless snail posted:

it won't, cause they're putting Vegas to shame by managing to put slot machines into every house and phone in the world

turns out unregulated gambling is a pretty lucrative business

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I have never really hated EA like a lot of gamers have and there are quite a few EA games that I love to play. But a lot of this stuff is just signs of the times. Game development costs are huge now while the price of video games haven't increased.

But as we have seen with GTA online, people are eating this kind of poo poo up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blackguy32 posted:

I have never really hated EA like a lot of gamers have and there are quite a few EA games that I love to play. But a lot of this stuff is just signs of the times. Game development costs are huge now while the price of video games haven't increased.
They have in Japan. I’m gonna buy Kyoei Toshi tomorrow for 8856 yen, or about $79.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

EA just seems especially egregious because even at the heart of the AAA market you can find people who genuinely enjoy making video games for a living, meanwhile EA has literal Ted Faro onstage talking about deliverables and the service-based online model while they ruin every beloved franchise they touch by turning them all into online MP arenas.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah games are generally a good £10 more expensive here than they were last gen. FIFA 18 was like £50 even in stores, that's more like RRP/digital pricing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

EA just seems especially egregious because even at the heart of the AAA market you can find people who genuinely enjoy making video games for a living, meanwhile EA has literal Ted Faro onstage talking about deliverables and the service-based online model while they ruin every beloved franchise they touch by turning them all into online MP arenas.

I recently played through Horizon and I understand this reference. :v:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

blackguy32 posted:

EA is sorta bad, but they did put out the Mirror's Edge games, which are some of my favorite games of all time.

Also, A Way Out looks dope.

... and I still have fond memories of Road Rash

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

... and I still have fond memories of Road Rash

Just because they suck now doesn't mean they were always bad. I forget which episode it is, but in the Video Game years documentary series, they talk about how EA's founder wanted to elevate games beyond what we're at the time considered not much more than kids' toys. Hence, Electronic Arts in a very literal sense. They also pushed doing game boxes like album covers and wanted to be really creative instead of just having really basic box art. And finally, original EA did a lot to try to get developers recognized for what they were doing and did stuff to push that also.

Then Trip Hawkins left to start 3DO and the rest is history.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 18, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DrNutt posted:

Just because they suck now doesn't mean they were always bad. I forget which episode it is, but in the Video Game years documentary series, they talk about how EA's founder wanted to elevate games beyond what we're at the time considered not much more than kids' toys. Hence, Electronic Arts in a very literal sense. They also pushed doing game boxes like album covers and wanted to be really creative instead of just having really basic box art. And finally, original EA did a lot to try to get developers recognized for what they were doing and did stuff to push that also.

Then Trip Hawkins left to start 3DO and the rest is history.

Yes....also "E A Sports....BIG"

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Samurai Sanders posted:

They have in Japan. I’m gonna buy Kyoei Toshi tomorrow for 8856 yen, or about $79.

The Japan game pricing is on a scale, is it because of the work involved in a set product? Yakuza Kiwami 2 is being released for 7970 yen MSRP

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Adaptabullshit posted:

The Japan game pricing is on a scale, is it because of the work involved in a set product? Yakuza Kiwami 2 is being released for 7970 yen MSRP
Who knows, there's always a million things that go into pricing of anything.

Same as the Disaster Report games, I expect Kyoei Toshi to be janky as hell but I'm still probably going to buy it, even at that price. I've always been a sucker for the idea of a apocalyptic survival game but with no combat.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 18, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I recently played through Horizon and I understand this reference. :v:

Now someone make a .GIF of that scene at GAIA Prime except all the Alphas have EA subsidiary logos attached to their faces.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Now someone make a .GIF of that scene at GAIA Prime except all the Alphas have EA subsidiary logos attached to their faces.

Ah right, that guy. I've seen people compare him to Handsome Jack from Borderlands.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Who knows, there's always a million things that go into pricing of anything.

Same as the Disaster Report games, I expect Kyoei Toshi to be janky as hell but I'm still probably going to buy it, even at that price. I've always been a sucker for the idea of a apocalyptic survival game but with no combat.

I'm guessing it's related to the nicheness of the title and/or the licensing for all the featured monsters.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yes....also "E A Sports....BIG"

E A SPORTS! ...its in the game

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Adaptabullshit posted:

I'm guessing it's related to the nicheness of the title and/or the licensing for all the featured monsters.
That last bit is clearly a thing. For Gundam Versus and SRWV there were two versions and the one with more licenced music was much more.

As for the first one, I've seen really popular games that expensive too. They've been creeping up and up as the years go on.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Samurai Sanders posted:

That last bit is clearly a thing. For Gundam Versus and SRWV there were two versions and the one with more licenced music was much more.

As for the first one, I've seen really popular games that expensive too. They've been creeping up and up as the years go on.

Seems like Nintendo is keeping it's games at near-7000 max. A game like Super Mario Odyssey retails at 5980 (+tax)

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJGwLqvRHOA

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

blackguy32 posted:

you hear this a lot but considering poo poo like the recent voice actor strike or all of the talk about crunch and you realize that the games industry doesnt pay the people involved poo poo and nobody gets any royalties and they've been taking money for in game sponsorships and ~side hustle~ poo poo and i am seriously skeptical that the costs are up and the income is down

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

blackguy32 posted:

This isn't really as solid of a point as it first appears

• The size of the video game market is larger than it's ever been, meaning that for games (and big AAA games in particular), lots more copies are sold than in the fifth/sixth generation, when game development was cheaper. According to Statista, about $5.5 billion in video game sales happened in the US in the year 2000. Modern Warfare 2 by itself (assuming $60 per sale) did about half that much within the first week of its release - now, this is including both US and UK, but I'm sure you still see the point.
  • Thanks to the explosion of digital sales, publishers are seeing a much larger cut of each sale than they did back before digital downloads were a thing.
  • Every sufficiently big release is already getting around the $60 price by offering tiered releases where $60 doesn't actually get you the whole game - Shadow of Wardor has 3 tiers, going from $60 to $100, and cuts stuff like certain orc tribes from the lower tiers.
  • Also, cosmetic/'minor' DLC (weapon skins, vehicles, whatever) and season passes (a.k.a. pre-orders for DLC) are a thing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something that might be worth considering, just for proximity, is that EA Montreal (Motive Studios) is where some cherry-picked staff from Bioware Montreal were transferred after it was closed. The Bioware division that created Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Vancouver and montreal are like 3500 miles apart

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
"Games never increased their prices above $60!"

Okay, but

And you know as well as I do that for many, if not most, of these games, you don't actually get the full game if you don't stump up for these deluxe editions.

Hell, we were talking about EA originally, didn't they take the ending of Dead Space 3 out of the base game and sell it as DLC?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The prices of digital games is loving ridiculous, I've NEVER seen a new game cheaper on Digital compared to retail. Plus with retail you can always sell it/trade it in if it sucks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The prices of digital games is loving ridiculous, I've NEVER seen a new game cheaper on Digital compared to retail. Plus with retail you can always sell it/trade it in if it sucks.

There's no reason to sell competitively, and no need to eventually make room for new stock on shelves.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Retail is always cheaper in Spain and after a few months you start to see retail prices drop quite a lot if the game is not a CoD, Fifa or Ubi. Even so, Ubisoft games like Siege, The Division and such got gold editions that were way cheaper retail.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Retail has almost always been cheaper.
Digital has the advantage of convenience. And finding older titles easily

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RIP Visceral and Dead Space 4, the game presumably about piloting spaceships to blow up zombie moons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd play it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Steam, origin and gog regularly have pretty huge sales with things going 50% off or more--I got titanfall 2 for $20 when frontier defense came out and it's on origin access now so you can get it and a bunch of other good stuff for $5 a month. Idk why that is only the case on PC but it is.

I would have expected the price of new games to go up in the states from inflation alone by now and I wouldn't have a problem with paying $75 for them new if it meant they were just a legitimately complete package from the start and weren't 50% segmented into DLC packs or full of "games as a service" bullshit like reminders to buy loot boxes. That poo poo annoys me more than just paying more upfront would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Digirat posted:

Steam, origin and gog regularly have pretty huge sales with things going 50% off or more--I got titanfall 2 for $20 when frontier defense came out and it's on origin access now so you can get it and a bunch of other good stuff for $5 a month. Idk why that is only the case on PC but it is.

I would have expected the price of new games to go up in the states from inflation alone by now and I wouldn't have a problem with paying $75 for them new if it meant they were just a legitimately complete package from the start and weren't 50% segmented into DLC packs or full of "games as a service" bullshit like reminders to buy loot boxes. That poo poo annoys me more than just paying more upfront would.

GoG and Steam have libraries so vast and competing between major and indie developers they can afford to knock prices down to 75+% off, especially when they're competing against piracy (ie; free). Consoles are isolated environments, and your options for a game are either pay RRP to get it now in the online PSN store, or go buy it in a physical retailer.