Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Well yea, generally the point of those magnetic dampers is to allow for different settings so you aren't driving around all the time with a back-breakingly stiff suspension. If it's a dedicated track car then you just put a back-breakingly stiff conventional suspension on there because it will be lighter and probably work better for that specific purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
If you are just looking to go fast, the Viper ACR doesn't use any of that fancy stuff and it's destroying lap records at numerous tracks. I think the answer here is to just put fins all over our bikes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Buhbuhj posted:

If you are just looking to go fast, the Viper ACR doesn't use any of that fancy stuff and it's destroying lap records at numerous tracks. I think the answer here is to just put fins all over our bikes.

Ola put a Finn on his bike and the dirty fucker stole it.

Making fun of Finland is the happening thing up North, right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NippleFloss posted:

Well yea, generally the point of those magnetic dampers is to allow for different settings so you aren't driving around all the time with a back-breakingly stiff suspension. If it's a dedicated track car then you just put a back-breakingly stiff conventional suspension on there because it will be lighter and probably work better for that specific purpose.

Track poo poo really isn't stiff (removing cars that utilize heavy aero here)... budget suspension that wants to feel sporty is stiff :v:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

NippleFloss posted:

It's not just adjusting stiffer/softer.

It allows you to change the 'valving' millisecond by millisecond. You can float over bumps without being floaty and control the car a lot better. For the same "level of handling" you can go over much rougher roads and not feel poo poo.

My CTS-V has them. When I had first started riding daily and got back in my CTS-V for the first time, I felt like I was literally floating for a while.

I almost miss 'feeling' more but that's probably due to being on biek now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

As a finlander, I am prepared to fight you in a sauna over this statement

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

My CTS-V has them. When I had first started riding daily and got back in my CTS-V for the first time, I felt like I was literally floating for a while.

I almost miss 'feeling' more but that's probably due to being on biek now.

Get a supermoto. Feel like you are floating, blast over rough roads in comfort, still dominate in the corners.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Coydog posted:

Get a supermoto. Feel like you are floating, blast over rough roads in comfort, still dominate in the corners.

Guhhhh I want one

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

NippleFloss posted:

This is a sad misconception which is ubiquitous, just about universal among car people and sadly prevalent among bike people as well and I think the primary reason Why We Can't Have Nice Things between our wheels and our frames. The part in bold makes a 1-to-1 connection between springs and dampers which is a blatant category mistake. I don't blame you for it, I'm not yelling at you personally, it's an epidemic. No bike or car dealer I've talked to about it understands it. And it's strange because it's simple and it's worthwhile.

The spring doesn't change, the magnetic fluid causes damping to change. If the spring breaks your back, well then magnetic magic is not going to solve it. But the spring isn't just "stiff", it depends what you are doing. And the magnetic fluid helps the spring be better at its job. Soft on bumps, stiff on tilt. (Tilt being acceleration in any direction, such as speed increase, decrease or corners)

Suspension is simple. The vehicle rides on the spring, the bump compresses the spring, the damper makes sure the spring extends slowly. End of story. And then the next story is that you can do a lot of fancy stuff to those rates, but even the simple beginning is incomprehensible to most people, even dealers. "Does it have adjustable damping?" "Yes you can increase the preload." WRONG THING! Springs and dampers are different things! No wonder the bike factories put poo poo suspension on their bikes, they think everything is ok! Even the dealers have no idea!

"Most people" (generalizing for effect here) think if you add money to suspension, you add stiffness, you add race. It's sad because good suspension that behaves well under different conditions is the biggest difference to any ride. To use SA terms, you don't add speed, you add class. You add softer bumps and stiffer corners. "Most people" spend crazy money on horsepower they never use, then they buy granite sticks for shocks and think they've added speed, when all they've done is shorten the life of their kidneys.

Ride good suspension. It is the wine of vehicles. Horsepower is the vodka.

Heja Sverige.

Chichevache posted:

We put Finns on things that go fast, but in this case I think the heavy battery had a north Pole and south Pole cooperating

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSi6J-QK1lw

Not sure how I feel about it. Motorcycles lean the right way, cars lean the wrong way, but a vehicle that leans in no way?? I don't know

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The Uly's suspension is a good example of "not stiff" and "handle gud"

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Would I be dumb to trade a '99 Ducati monster 900 for a '12 wr250f? It'd be a dealer trade-in(assuming they take it), but I'm apparently bad at valuing things, as evidenced by the bike being on Craigslist without moving for months. The wr is priced at 4k, and I just knocked down the ducati to 3800 with no takers yet.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Coydog posted:

Sold.

Ola posted:

This is a sad misconception which is ubiquitous, just about universal among car people and sadly prevalent among bike people as well and I think the primary reason Why We Can't Have Nice Things between our wheels and our frames. The part in bold makes a 1-to-1 connection between springs and dampers which is a blatant category mistake. I don't blame you for it, I'm not yelling at you personally, it's an epidemic. No bike or car dealer I've talked to about it understands it. And it's strange because it's simple and it's worthwhile.

The spring doesn't change, the magnetic fluid causes damping to change. If the spring breaks your back, well then magnetic magic is not going to solve it. But the spring isn't just "stiff", it depends what you are doing. And the magnetic fluid helps the spring be better at its job. Soft on bumps, stiff on tilt. (Tilt being acceleration in any direction, such as speed increase, decrease or corners)

Suspension is simple. The vehicle rides on the spring, the bump compresses the spring, the damper makes sure the spring extends slowly. End of story. And then the next story is that you can do a lot of fancy stuff to those rates, but even the simple beginning is incomprehensible to most people, even dealers. "Does it have adjustable damping?" "Yes you can increase the preload." WRONG THING! Springs and dampers are different things! No wonder the bike factories put poo poo suspension on their bikes, they think everything is ok! Even the dealers have no idea!

"Most people" (generalizing for effect here) think if you add money to suspension, you add stiffness, you add race. It's sad because good suspension that behaves well under different conditions is the biggest difference to any ride. To use SA terms, you don't add speed, you add class. You add softer bumps and stiffer corners. "Most people" spend crazy money on horsepower they never use, then they buy granite sticks for shocks and think they've added speed, when all they've done is shorten the life of their kidneys.

Ride good suspension. It is the wine of vehicles. Horsepower is the vodka.

Heja Sverige.

We put Finns on things that go fast, but in this case I think the heavy battery had a north Pole and south Pole cooperating

Is there a good suspension thread or can you start one? :v:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

Would I be dumb to trade a '99 Ducati monster 900 for a '12 wr250f? It'd be a dealer trade-in(assuming they take it), but I'm apparently bad at valuing things, as evidenced by the bike being on Craigslist without moving for months. The wr is priced at 4k, and I just knocked down the ducati to 3800 with no takers yet.

How many hours on the WR? 2012 is the old version, not FI, if you care about that. Are you using it for your daily driver? If yes then you want the wr250r instead.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Space Whale posted:

Sold.

Is there a good suspension thread or can you start one? :v:

There is an engineering thread in AI. Additionally, I've posted this before but if you want to actually learn go buy the Race Tech Suspension Bible and start combing this forum http://45537.activeboard.com/
How does the bike feel on the brakes? (Supported or collapses?)
How does the bike feel during turnin? (Easy or a lot of effort?)
How does the bike feel mid corner? (Hold a line, push, want to keep turning in?)
How does the bike feel on corner exit? (Run wide, hold a line, or want to push the rear out?)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 23, 2016

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No idea on hours, but it looks like one of those bikes that gets ridden a couple weekends a year before the owner goes "I never ride this thing" and trades it in. I'd like FI, but oh well. It would be a woods bike, possibly with a plate, and maybe take on supermoto form for trackdays as well?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcd/5779884810.html

The dealer's the same guy I got the $1000 SM610 from, they're pretty good. I should probably just keep holding out for a wr450, though.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

No idea on hours, but it looks like one of those bikes that gets ridden a couple weekends a year before the owner goes "I never ride this thing" and trades it in. I'd like FI, but oh well. It would be a woods bike, possibly with a plate, and maybe take on supermoto form for trackdays as well?

The dealer's the same guy I got the $1000 SM610 from, they're pretty good. I should probably just keep holding out for a wr450, though.

WR450 is a little big for a tight single track woods bike so this sounds good for that. If you're comfortable with the hours, I think it's probably a fine deal but I don't know the nuances of pricing in your area.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

quote:

East Troy, WI – EBR Motorcycles (Erik Buell Racing) announces the release of their 2017 model year American Sportbikes and progress with the rebuilding of the iconic motorcycle brand.
“It has been an amazing summer since the new EBR was launched. You can imagine the challenges restructuring the new company, but we have made really nice progress building our base for 2017 to launch this week,” said Bill Melvin, owner of EBR. “Our dealers have had nice success selling bikes this summer and we have many new ones coming on. Our quality is continuously improving, our supplier relationships established, and now we are looking towards the future. This fall we have something ‘Quick, Dark, and Low’ in the works that should be exciting for urban street riders, and we are making real progress on expanding the range of models of the 1190 platform, as well as developing and delivering accessories that our EBR riders want. There is a bright future for EBR, and as part of that work is proceeding on a sub-$10k platform for 2018.”

EBR Motorcycles has many exciting updates that will be seen soon. The 2017 models hit the showrooms this week. EBR plans to attend the International Motorcycle Shows in Long Beach, California; New York, New York; Dallas, Texas; and Chicago, Illinois. Show visitors will get to see and learn more about the 2017 models. EBR also will show off selected upcoming 2017 ½ & 2018 model prototypes at different shows. EBR Apparel will launch within weeks with clothing celebrating the brand, and the team continues international racing as EBR Splitlath with Shelina Moreda at the helm. Along with new products, EBR is reviewing applications for their new Global Sales Director to support and grow EBR’s dealer base organically and through strategic partnerships.

“It’s a great time to ride the only American Sportbike, designed by Erik Buell, and we encourage patriotic Americans to meet these new EBR dealers for a test ride,” said Steve Smith, CEO of EBR. “Of course we had some bumps over the last year, but the road is looking pretty smooth now. It’s exciting to see growth into our next steps and exciting that we can help support the Buell Nation of enthusiasts and riders.”

Blah blah blah blah no mention of the AX.

Kind of curious to see what they have in mind for sub-$10k... 900cc 110hp liquid cooled ZTL2 with reasonable valve check interval please. If they could sell that I'd excuse a lack of ABS... this time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Zero and Brammo both make American sportbikes. :colbert:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/scorpion/scorpion_split_helmet_blue_color.html

MotorcycleGear (NewEnough) is selling these colorful Scorpion helmets for less than $50. I might get one just as a spare. IDC if they are bright-rear end Gulf livery colors.

On the other hand, buying a new brand of helmet always involves the New Mirrored Visor Tax. But for like new riders or whatever, it's a good price.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

captainOrbital posted:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/scorpion/scorpion_split_helmet_blue_color.html

MotorcycleGear (NewEnough) is selling these colorful Scorpion helmets for less than $50. I might get one just as a spare. IDC if they are bright-rear end Gulf livery colors.

On the other hand, buying a new brand of helmet always involves the New Mirrored Visor Tax. But for like new riders or whatever, it's a good price.

I had one of those as my first helmet. Not bad, a bit noisy but most Scorpions are.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

It would be a woods bike. I should probably just keep holding out for a wr450, though.

the most likely thing a 450 will do better than a 250 in the woods is gently caress you up

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
no poo poo. a 450 will throw you into a tree so goddamned fast.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I can't even imagine a 450 in the woods :lol:

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Half my friends ride 450's in the woods and do fine. Two were talking about going with 350s like I did but one ended up getting a brand new 450xcf and the other got a 2 stroke 300. I think the 300 is a way scarier woods bike than a 450. I'm not saying get a 450 unless you really know your trail riding but it isn't a death machine with some experience. I actually never got hurt badly on my 450 and in the 3 months I've had my 350 I've suffered like three lovely injuries.

rally fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 23, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've done a 450 and a 300 in the woods. The 300 was bonkers scary once it got on the pipe. The 450 was more tractable and predictable to ride.

I couldn't tell much of a weight difference. They both felt lighter than my 175.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

clutchpuck posted:

I've done a 450 and a 300 in the woods. The 300 was bonkers scary once it got on the pipe. The 450 was more tractable and predictable to ride.

I couldn't tell much of a weight difference. They both felt lighter than my 175.

The 300 is like a mountain bike compared to my old 450, but weight has come down a lot on big bore dirt bikes since 2003.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I think they were both like 2012s. Either way both were capable of going way too fast on single track but the throttle isn't a binary thing :)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've spent time on just about everything and a 450 isn't a death sentence in the woods. A 450 motocross bike is much more likely to hurt you than a 450 woods bike is, just given the environments you ride them in. Yeah they are crazy fast but throttles aren't an on-off switch, you can module them easily and safely in the woods. In tight stuff by the time you're kicked out of the seat and totally hamfisting the throttle out of control you'd be just as hosed on a 250. Plus Slim wants to supermoto, so 450 is the better choice.

Note: This advice applies specifically to Slim, do not start your riding career on a 450 dirtbike - woods or no

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I guess it's worth noting I have years of dirt experience, mostly racing a 125 in motocross, and over a decade in street riding. I've tried trail riding the sm610 on it's dirt setup a couple times, which does fine until I get into the gnarly poo poo because the sheer weight of the bike combined with the poorly-chosen DOT knobby on the 17" rear makes it almost as terrible as a supermoto in the mud. A better tire would help, but it's still a heavy-rear end bike.

I guess the problem for me is how do I pick two bikes that'll require the fewest compromises in order to do trail riding, dual sport, supermoto(street and track), and some mx practice days or racing? Just ship over my old 125 KTM and keep riding the SM610? Buy a YZ250 and WR450 with sumo wheels? Supermoto a Superduke?

I still gotta clear out the Ducati one way or another, so a trade seems like a nice way to cut out a step.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 23, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

It's worth noting that those are Snell rated helmets.

So if you're in need of a cheap Snell lid for track use (or even for poo poo like SCCA autocross or using on a kart track), it's hard to beat $50.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The HJC guys meet or exceed DOT and Snell also, and there's a couple that are pretty cheap, like around $70.

(Sizes 3XL-5XL D.O.T. approved only)

loving fatheads

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

I guess it's worth noting I have years of dirt experience, mostly racing a 125 in motocross, and over a decade in street riding. I've tried trail riding the sm610 on it's dirt setup a couple times, which does fine until I get into the gnarly poo poo because the sheer weight of the bike combined with the poorly-chosen DOT knobby on the 17" rear makes it almost as terrible as a supermoto in the mud. A better tire would help, but it's still a heavy-rear end bike.

I guess the problem for me is how do I pick two bikes that'll require the fewest compromises in order to do trail riding, dual sport, supermoto(street and track), and some mx practice days or racing? Just ship over my old 125 KTM and keep riding the SM610? Buy a YZ250 and WR450 with sumo wheels? Supermoto a Superduke?

I still gotta clear out the Ducati one way or another, so a trade seems like a nice way to cut out a step.

What about a KTM 500? That should be able to hit all of those things in one bike without too many compromises (other than cost). How much of each are you going to do? What's all-in budget?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slim Pickens posted:

Why on earth would you want an F for R/X money?! It's much less bike, and I wouldn't trade a ducati for that.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
maybe that's R or X money around Georgia, but around Seattle everything has a bit of a markup. Also, it feels like monsters are more plentiful than SV650s around here, so the face value doesn't have the same impact for me, I guess.

Edit: in fact, they actually ARE more plentiful as far as craigslist is concerned. 32 monsters vs 14 SV650s :lol:

Also, the R and X are less bike as far as performance is concerned. The F is choked a bit, but still the same engine as the YZ but with a wider gear ratio for woods riding. I can't really make any decisions until I clear out some bikes anyways, so :shrug:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

Also, it feels like monsters are more plentiful than SV650s around here, so the face value doesn't have the same impact for me, I guess.

Edit: in fact, they actually ARE more plentiful as far as craigslist is concerned. 32 monsters vs 14 SV650s :lol:

True story, the largest selling volume Ducati dealer in the US is in Portland. Ducatis are everywhere in the PNW.
(we've also got the largest volume Triumph dealer here, it's probably reasonable to blame both on the hipsters)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well the Suzuki dealer retired and his spot was filled by a triumph dealer(with a mustache wax stand and a wall full of bell bullitts!), So there's probably some truth to that. I think the ducs got bought up by all the Microsoft, amazon and start up bros, though.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
There's a huge motorcycle rally nearby tomorrow. How many motorcycles are too many and you just have to give up on doing the wave?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Four. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Dog Case posted:

There's a huge motorcycle rally nearby tomorrow. How many motorcycles are too many and you just have to give up on doing the wave?

Ride one handed. Keep the clutch hand extended with two fingers out in a peace sign.