Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
After a lifetime of being a scrawny weakling nerd I actually built some muscle and strength after my kid was born. The constantly increasing weight is indeed a wonder.

Unfortunately when she was turning two I had a health crisis involving the digestive tract, which led to losing a bunch of weight in a short time. So of course all those gains just went poof, and I haven't really been able to get much of it back since then. Fortunately at 3.5 I now barely ever need to lift the kid, but it sucks being unable to do cool dad stuff involving picking her up while playing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

L0cke17 posted:

Is that normal for daycare to do that? Insist on no stuffed animals? My first instinct was that we need to find another daycare, because it seems like this can't be right or healthy for my son.

In our daycare, they advised that we bring a stuffed animal which the staff would bring out for naps only. They also strongly advised that this animal be the only toy we ever bring, and that it should be distinctly for daycare use only, so it never leaves their little animal locker except if we have to wash it. That way, less risk of losing a trusted friend.

Now at 4, as she stopped napping, she's brought her little IKEA elephant home permanently and added it to her permanent rotation of bedtime friends.

L0cke17 posted:

Usually he's grinning and laughing and playing and today he's just got a constant pout in every picture and came home saying "I NOT WANT TO GO DAYCARE AGAIN"

Trust me when I say this will pass quickly. Your kid will be weaned off of lugging a plushie around in less than a week, and you'll be happier for not risking the catastrophic loss of said plushie on your way to/from daycare.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 1, 2022

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Yeah, changing the daycare because your kid will not be happy for a few days as it adjusts to a reasonable compromise, sounds like a bad idea all around.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

In our daycare, they advised that we bring a stuffed animal which the staff would bring out for naps only. They also strongly advised that this animal be the only toy we ever bring, and that it should be distinctly for daycare use only, so it never leaves their little animal locker except if we have to wash it. That way, less risk of losing a trusted friend.

Now at 4, as she stopped napping, she's brought her little IKEA elephant home permanently and added it to her permanent rotation of bedtime friends.

Trust me when I say this will pass quickly. Your kid will be weaned off of lugging a plushie around in less than a week, and you'll be happier for not risking the catastrophic loss of said plushie on your way to/from daycare.

We've got 6 of them in the closets as backups. But yes, I see your point.

SavageGentleman posted:

Yeah, changing the daycare because your kid will not be happy for a few days as it adjusts to a reasonable compromise, sounds like a bad idea all around.

It's just the straw that broke the camel's back here. The bigger problem is the location. We had to get a daycare on like 2 weeks notice when our nanny quit to go back to working fulltime at an office job. The daycare we found was the only one within half an hour of us we could find with availability. It's hella convenient for my wife, but the inlaws help with him some days a week and it's like 40-45 minutes for them.

New daycare option is cheaper, closer (3 minutes from our house, and 10-15 from the inlaws), provides more amenities, but has a slightly higher student-> teacher ratio (old one is 18-20 kids to 3 teachers, new one is 14 to 2 teachers and a floating helper who comes in for mealtimes and playground supervision) and a slightly worse playground.

They were actually our first choice when we were looking earlier in the year, but they didnt have availability til January.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My 9 year old kids still want me to pick them up and carry them on my shoulders, they really like if I pick them up and just yeet them as far as I can, onto our big double bed that is.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's day 7 after my kid tested positive for the flu. She has a low grade fever of about 100.5 right now but very red cheeks. Is this pretty normal or should I be worried?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh I'd be worried. You can let it ride out if you are forced to and it'll be fine, but being sick for like a week is when I would seek help and evaluation.

Edit: if medical attention was already given then yeah kids look funny when they're sick.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Are they behaving normal otherwise? Red cheeks go with a fever depending on your complexion so if that's the main concern you prob don't have to worry. Flu lingers on, I wouldn't be too worried about 7 days in either.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It takes a full 14 days for your body to build up antibodies b-cells and t-cells specific to the (new) infection, our concept of how the immune system is horribly broken

When you get a 3 day cold or whatever, that's just your body ramping up immunity for something it's seen before

24 hour colds are lies we tell ourselves, or food poisioning

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

She could have picked up fifths disease too! That's my first thought when I hear red cheeks.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Read that as "a fifth disease" which also fits for kids

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

By unleashing my powers of observation (super grover style) I have determined:

Her cheeks are red actually because she has irritated them by rubbing her snotty nose with her sleeve and hand - good news

Because she is then rubbing her hand on her face she is getting conjunctivitis - not good news

Babies are a land of contrasts. And yeah she was tested and does have influenza a so I expect it to linger for another at least week if not two

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Is there a modern version of books on tape/CD that don't involve a tablet?

My son (4) is starting to get into the Books on CD that they have at his pre-school. It's very much the old school "kid holds book, CD/tape plays and reads it, chimes when it's time to turn the page" and with the holidays around the corner it seems like an obvious gift. I'm having trouble finding a more modern version that isn't just handing him a tablet. This isn't a "no screens" thing -- he just loves actual books.

Something like the Yoto Player seems about right, but it also seems more like just a stylized MP3 player and less about the book + audio interaction. We don't need the chimes (and I suppose could read the books and add them ourselves) but if there's a product ready to go, I'd love to know about it.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
xpost from the other thread-

a loathsome bird posted:

The Jooki is basically what you're looking for- it's an mp3 player/speaker that auto plays a paired playlist when you put one of their little tokens or animals on it, and you can customize what is on each playlist. Only controls are skip forward/back and volume. It also hooks into Spotify but I haven't used that part.

After using one for a month or so, I don't know if I would recommend it though. The software is garbage and it does the weird Bluetooth/local wifi combo for uploading mp3s on there- no USB connectivity other than charging. It ships with old firmware and then won't work until you update the firmware, which for some reason refused to work on my home wifi but did at work? Their support was not very good either

However, now we have it set up it's great. Our 13mo will sit there and put on his own music, and change "CDs" by himself when he gets tired of one. Plus with 5 gigs of storage we just made one token a functionally infinite playlist of audiobooks we can skip around in.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Shrimpy posted:

My son (4) is starting to get into the Books on CD that they have at his pre-school. It's very much the old school "kid holds book, CD/tape plays and reads it, chimes when it's time to turn the page" and with the holidays around the corner it seems like an obvious gift. I'm having trouble finding a more modern version that isn't just handing him a tablet. This isn't a "no screens" thing -- he just loves actual books.

Something like the Yoto Player seems about right, but it also seems more like just a stylized MP3 player and less about the book + audio interaction. We don't need the chimes (and I suppose could read the books and add them ourselves) but if there's a product ready to go, I'd love to know about it.

In addition to the option by a loathsome bird which sounds cool, there are wonderbooks and
Vox books .

These have been your adjective plus bird recommendations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We have a Yoto and it’s been pretty great, 100% would recommend as a general audio player.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
also an excuse to post one of my all time favourite twitter threads with a surprise twist ending!
https://twitter.com/foone/status/1454230585933631488?lang=en

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Shrimpy posted:

Have you seen the Me Readers? We got a Paw Patrol set second hand that is beloved in this house but you can insert whatever your kid would like. This is the set we got but there are a lot of different ones. They are mostly character themed, but I did see an Encyclopedia Brittanica one on Amazon so def worth looking around.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My mom always said "ohhh, wait until you get to the 'why' stage!"

Honestly, I love the "why" stage. I like to get real into things like that with my daughter.

What gets me is the repeating of a single question, with only slight variations, that you've already answered.

"Did you see I'm drawing in the corner?"
"Yeah! Haha"
"Isn't it nice that I'm, uh, drawing in the corner?"
"Yeah, I guess it's pretty nice!"
"Do you see I'm in the corner?"
"Yeppers!"
"Isn't it nice?"
"...yes!"
"I can be in the corner and I can do X and Y and Z..."
"So awesome!"
"It's SOOO nice in my corner."

"Isn't it?"
"Hm?"
"ISN'T IT NICE THAT I'M IN MY CORNER, DADDY?"
"OH RIGHT. yes. Super nice."
"Why come you never answer me?" :rolleyes:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
We want one of these: https://www.hoerbert.com/

All the US-based ones rely on some fancy "app" to load stuff, or proprietary cartridges. gently caress that. I just want a music player that will play stuff off an SD card or whatever. Unfortunately, they don't ship to the US, so I'm trying to get a German colleague to buy it and ship it to us.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My kid expects the same mechanical precision out of me when he points at objects as he does when he presses a button on his Fisher Price noise maker. As soon as tactile contact has been established with the picture in the book that syllable better be out of my mouth.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Someone bought my kid a kindle for like his newborn registry. I did Linux at it until I stripped the available buttons down to just opening a pdf. I got The Jakarta Method loaded in there now, but the plan is to load it with pirated zoobooks and Richard Scarry rips. 21 months is still too early for him to have his own black mirror tho.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Clean up song to clean up at home? gently caress that.

Clean up song at school? Hell ya let's play the song on repeat constantly now

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My son just snuck up behind me and tugged at my waistband as if to check my diaper!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

KirbyKhan posted:

Someone bought my kid a kindle for like his newborn registry. I did Linux at it until I stripped the available buttons down to just opening a pdf. I got The Jakarta Method loaded in there now, but the plan is to load it with pirated zoobooks and Richard Scarry rips. 21 months is still too early for him to have his own black mirror tho.

At least you’re teaching him about the American hegemony and brutal anti communist massacres at an appropriate age.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
You know how retail workers despise Christmas music by the end of the season? I’m starting to understand, and indeed found a new level of hell - one of the boys brought home a book from the school library that has an attached cd.

Of Dino-lyricized Christmas music. Of course he loves it, lmao.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

My kid got a book out of the library about a Cuban family and their beloved hand-me-down classic car and it led to explaining to my 4 year old WHY Cuba has rampant poverty and a lack of imported goods

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

remigious posted:

My son just snuck up behind me and tugged at my waistband as if to check my diaper!

Those reflections of care you give are the best.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

KirbyKhan posted:

Those reflections of care you give are the best.

My kid tells us "I can't let you do that" and "it's not safe" whenever she wants us to stop a behavior.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Brawnfire posted:

My mom always said "ohhh, wait until you get to the 'why' stage!"

My daughter has entered the “whys” full throttle. We’ve had conversations about how sound works, down to the cochlea and the brain interpreting sound wave vibrations…
Mama how do we hear?
(I was going to type out the whole conversation, but basically it’s me going “bla bla bla” and my daughter trying to understand and then asking why, again and again, but with genuine desire to learn..)
A question about snow flakes ended in “Honey, I don’t know, that’s just how time works.” In reference to the globe’s axis and seasons and whatnot. Now, when she asks a question she thinks she won’t get an answer to, she will answer herself with “I guess that’s just how time works.”
“We only have soy milk, not goat milk, is that okay?”
“Ooh FINE, I guess that’s just how time works!”

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I love the explaining part of parenting. At just turned 4, my daughter is already channeling that inquisitiveness. As she was falling asleep tonight:

- Dad, tell me about all the countries!
- Well, there are a lot of them! [blah blah] I think there are about two hundred, so you get why I can't remember them all, right?
- Are there any planets with people on them?
- Well, [blah blah the other planets aren't habitable blah]
- I'm going to build a rocket with my friends X and Y and then we're going to visit the moon!
(silence)
- Daddy, I love you.
*Falls asleep*

Sweet moon dreams, honey!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’m excited for the explaining part. I can’t wait to teach my kid about science and nature and history and look forward to taking her to all the different museums. The dinosaur museum was an annual summer trip when I was a kid, and I wanna do the same for her.

Currently my child has decided that she wants to subsist solely on cheese and oaty bars. She recently developed an obsession with cream cheese and will eat it by the spoonful, but has also been having fun unwrapping Babybel cheeses. The only oaty bars she’ll eat are the apple sweet potato ones and she usually gets one every day. But recently she’s been wanting 2 and the other day she had 4 and a half. I’ve been letting her have as many as she wants since getting her to eat anything at all is a chore and there are worse things to fill up on.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Nessa posted:

I’m excited for the explaining part. I can’t wait to teach my kid about science and nature and history and look forward to taking her to all the different museums. The dinosaur museum was an annual summer trip when I was a kid, and I wanna do the same for her.

Currently my child has decided that she wants to subsist solely on cheese and oaty bars. She recently developed an obsession with cream cheese and will eat it by the spoonful, but has also been having fun unwrapping Babybel cheeses. The only oaty bars she’ll eat are the apple sweet potato ones and she usually gets one every day. But recently she’s been wanting 2 and the other day she had 4 and a half. I’ve been letting her have as many as she wants since getting her to eat anything at all is a chore and there are worse things to fill up on.

My children's bodies must consist entirely of fruit, cheese, and carbohydrates, because that's basically all they eat.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I made the mistake of letting my toddler pick out cereal so now all he wants to eat is sugary peanut butter cereal forever

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Son had his 18 mo well check today and… surprise! Ear infection. Zero symptoms. Other than the fact that he’s not talking yet and he’s had a ton of ear infections. Babbling a ton, all the letters and their sounds are there, but no words. Not even mama. ☹️ I thought he had been saying “duck” but now I’m not so sure.

This is ear infection #6 so off to ENT we go. Also got a consult order for speech. I knew this was coming, I know it’s totally not a huge deal and a ton of kids go through this stuff and are just fine, but it still makes me feel sad and worried.

I mean, when I was a kid I had a ton of tubes, and I didn’t talk until after my first set. I turned it just fine and getting many sets of tubes didn’t leave any lasting mental trauma… But he’s my baby.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The ogre toddler went through something similar, as did my youngest nephew. I thought that seeing the latter first would prepare me for the former.

But nope, it's just different when it's your own kid.

(He's also been super picky lately and mostly just eats meat, fruit, and ALL THE POUCHES WANNA POUCH. I wish this kid would eat carbs on the regular if only to fill him up.)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Baby decided he doesn't like eggs 2 weeks ago. Eggs are now out, ew, passe, gauche. No more eggs forever. He just kinda pokes his eggs during breakfast, eats everything else first, reluctantly eats like half and throws other half to dog. I'm sure he'll get over it when grandma leaves and I go back to cooking using things like salt, sauce, or oil.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Speaking of dogs, my pitty used to be a velcro dog to me. Would not leave my side and always made clear I was the favorite out of all the people in my house.

Now? CLEARLY loves the toddler most because baby will drop food and run around playing keep away at the drop of a hat.

The only thing they fight over is who gets to nap in my lap more

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Same, dog has betrayed me in favor of a baby in a highchair. U r not alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
On the subject of dogs, getting a puppy was definitely in my top ten worst ideas ever. The puppy is large and of course excitable and the toddler loves tackling him and pulling his tail. It’s like having 2 toddlers basically, but one can main the other if they are left unsupervised.
Don’t worry, we love puppy and are working hard to get him and the toddler acclimated to each other, it’s just been a TON of work.