Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So I had sealed off the caverns because of this monster

Was afraid he was gonna rule for awhile, but then a glass beast showed up and uh..

green glass = ultimate killing machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

my dad posted:

Oh, right, iirc leather armor lets you train armor skill, which is pretty much its best use outside of the leather torso armor also being decent padding to have under mail before you start making plate.

The problem with such "training" armor is that the dwarves might get attached to it. Mail first and then adding other stuff is good also because all the pieces are things you want to keep.

Also, I really want someone to have a long talk with Tarn about the historical purpose and importance of linen/cotton armor. A padded jack is just much better armor than anything you can make out of leather, and also much better than mail only (although once you are wearing a jack, mail is a great improvement), and completely ignored by popular culture, probably largely because it looks stupid.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Affi posted:

I have the most misanthropic dwarf ever.

Hes miserable because he wants to hang out with friends or family. But ofcourse he has none.

Besides that he just feels nothing about everything.

I could exile him if he turns worse but what the gently caress else can I do?

In my experience, not much. I had a militia commander (due to skills) that hated everything and wanted to spend time with a non-existant family, eventually started tantruming and "being dizzy" and I just kicked her out. She had like 4 best friends she could have spent any time with at all if she wanted to be happy.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

When I found the cavern in my current game, I noticed it was remarkably chill. Now I know why.

Come to the world's safest fort! Pay no mind to the bored olm stuck on tower caps.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Affi posted:

I have the most misanthropic dwarf ever.

Hes miserable because he wants to hang out with friends or family. But ofcourse he has none.

Besides that he just feels nothing about everything.

I could exile him if he turns worse but what the gently caress else can I do?
Buy him an account.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of, anyone tried out the screw pump training stat for new squads?
Basically you just set everyone in the squad to do pumping labor manually, then make a bunch of pumps in the barracks, and every time they're off duty, they'll train their stats by pumping nothing all day.

I tried this with a particularly weak recruit who couldn't even carry a crossbow without being massively slowed down.

after like a year they were expert pump operator and still weak so they got undrafted.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Griz posted:

I tried this with a particularly weak recruit who couldn't even carry a crossbow without being massively slowed down.

after like a year they were expert pump operator and still weak so they got undrafted.

Ah, shame, I seem to remember it being a thing once upon a time, might not have made it into the steam version. Thanks for testing though!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Try doing it with a reservoir of some kind not just the open air? Just in case it's somehow using that.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Had my first big caravan come through today. I thought wagons straight-up weren't implemented in the Steam version but gently caress me, they actually went and did it. I guess you have to be a barony first before they start showing up?

Overall I am really impressed by how good the performance on the Steam version is so far. I have been playing DF on/off for like a decade now but I've never had a fort go over roughly 110 dorfs because it just turns into a slideshow past that point. I'm up to about 150 now and its still chugging along mostly fine.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Also I uncovered the first cavern layer while I was excavating the main shaft of my fort; I quickly walled it up since I didn't have a military yet and didn't want every dwarf and their cat running down there to gather thread until I cleared it out. I'm in the process of setting up a proper guard now, but its been a few in-game years since then and its been pretty funny and horrifying watching the uncovered parts get progressively wrecked.

There used to be a peaceful ant-man tribe just chilling out in one corner. Used to be. They slowly got whittled down by herds of crocodiles, trolls and troglodytes edging in on their turf until all that was left was a bunch of rotting corpses and a layer of viscera coating every available surface in their old den.

The most recent shake-up was a forgotten beast rolling in; a giant three-eyed spider with a venomous sting that proceeded to mulch every trog it came across, leaving a bloody trail of destruction in its wake. Somehow the little fuckers actually managed to take it down just through the sheer number of injuries in wracked up after a while. Turns out even literal cavemen can still take down ancient horrors from the depths! :black101:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

hmm how many z-levels tall should i make this guard tower

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Ah, shame, I seem to remember it being a thing once upon a time, might not have made it into the steam version. Thanks for testing though!

I'm not sure if it trains strength, but I found an issue with quantum stockpiles that potentially leads to great strength training.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I tried to stick furniture, gems, and finished goods all in a quantum stockpile but I didn't really think it through; since gems and finished goods get stored in bins and you can only set a maximum of 1 bin to a 1x1 tile storage, my dwarves have been in a constant loop of shuffling these bins around for over a year that I've been too lazy to fix :kiddo:

Unfortunately I no longer have that save to check if everyone has super high Strength, but basically with this quantum stockpile setup they repeatedly haul bins full of gems or finished goods between the two stockpiles shown in the screenshot - they haul it to the big one, minecart it into the small one, then haul it back into the big one.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 31, 2022

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Overall I am really impressed by how good the performance on the Steam version is so far. I have been playing DF on/off for like a decade now but I've never had a fort go over roughly 110 dorfs because it just turns into a slideshow past that point. I'm up to about 150 now and its still chugging along mostly fine.

Same here, but also my computer today is more powerful than the one I was playing DF on long ago. In a few ways DF was ahead of it's time

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
is there a way in the work orders to set a MAKE ROCK CRAFTS order to repeat, as long as there are, let's say, "less than 200 rock crafts"? i can do it for "200 rock figurines" but i was wondering if there's some kind of "trade good" or "craft" category broadly

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

hbag posted:

A few at a time.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Love the Highlander nature of forgotten beasts.

I started using the Tavern as my militias training area since I've been getting loads of loving were-creatures. One of them got bit because he wasn't wearing his issued boots. I designated him a lone squad member and banished him to patrol the magma chamber beneath a locked hatch

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Jinnigan posted:

is there a way in the work orders to set a MAKE ROCK CRAFTS order to repeat, as long as there are, let's say, "less than 200 rock crafts"? i can do it for "200 rock figurines" but i was wondering if there's some kind of "trade good" or "craft" category broadly

You could try making your trade good rock mugs instead of 'crafts'. They're the same value per rock IIRC and they're only a single consistent item type.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

i asked in the discord and this was someone's example. maniacs.

these are all AND conditions so if any one of those hits 100 then none of it goes. alright

e: i tried to do this for rock but you can't do "rock." you have to do "dolomite" or whatever. argh
just gonna have to brute force it with 999 rock crafts every once in a while

Arcvasti posted:

You could try making your trade good rock mugs instead of 'crafts'. They're the same value per rock IIRC and they're only a single consistent item type.

:hmmyes:

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 31, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jinnigan posted:

i asked in the discord and this was someone's example. maniacs.

these are all AND conditions so if any one of those hits 100 then none of it goes. alright

e: i tried to do this for rock but you can't do "rock." you have to do "dolomite" or whatever. argh
just gonna have to brute force it with 999 rock crafts every once in a while

:hmmyes:

the less-insane method would just be set a workshop to your good crafter doing rock crafts on repeat, I could have sworn there was a generic "rock craft" work order though...

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
First I got a cavern invasion of what appeared to be eight amphibian men, but they each seemed to spawn two cavern crawlers upon engaging. I lost about 30 of 150 dwarves to this and all my squads were hosed. A single martial trance saved the day. Then the game crashed deep into my next seasonal save, killing over an hour of rebuilding work. Ah well. Time to roll up a new one with all my new knowledge.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Veryslightlymad posted:

A few at a time.

? im not sure what you mean
im building a tower for my crossbow guys to shoot from

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

This guy was convicted of espionage against Coallancer. Sentence: 300 days in jail. :v:

He's a ghoul so he won't starve or die of thirst, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and immure his rear end. Because he can't die, he will be chained up in that dark little room forever.

Dwarven justice.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

hbag posted:

goblins can jump at least 2-levels in my experience so a little higher than that. Keep in mind that each z-level counts against your range, theres no benefit to height other than LOS and safety.

anyone have any success with siege weapons?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I got the crash on "Loading Units" bug the people think come from either cavern invasions or forgotten beasts and it really sucks. I was at least able to go to an autosave and retire the fort so I can still use the world

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

hbag posted:

? im not sure what you mean
im building a tower for my crossbow guys to shoot from

It was a bad joke. The idea being "keep building".

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

when looking at personality traits of possible military recruits, I'm assuming I should avoid things like "actively avoids exciting or stressful situations", and "doesn't stick with things if even minor difficulties arise"? Basically anything that sounds like "this dude would not like to fight" should be reason to pass on them? Or am I overthinking it?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Buschmaki posted:

I got the crash on "Loading Units" bug the people think come from either cavern invasions or forgotten beasts and it really sucks. I was at least able to go to an autosave and retire the fort so I can still use the world

If you can still load that autosave before you retired your fort, you can disable cavern dwellers (settings>difficulty>custom settings and set both cavern dweller scale and cavern dweller maximum attackers to 0) and it should be okay to proceed forward from there without running into the generation of units that cause the crash. I had do that on mine, lost about three hours of game, but better than starting over and I was able to get past the year/season that was consistently corrupting my save.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

A goblin shot a visitor's nose clean off with a crossbow. That is a hell of a shot. I'm also impressed there is a specific icon for this.

(edit): this rear end in a top hat was stealing one of my artifacts! He deserved the nose-ectomy :mad:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Buschmaki posted:

I had a load crash, ironically, when I tried to load back into my "real" timeline after doing those aggro tests upthread

I've got invaders turned off and I'm hoping it doesn't turn into A Thing for this fort, but here's hoping they can suss out what's going on under the hood (or at least get a save mod app going to fix it manually)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

neogeo0823 posted:

when looking at personality traits of possible military recruits, I'm assuming I should avoid things like "actively avoids exciting or stressful situations", and "doesn't stick with things if even minor difficulties arise"? Basically anything that sounds like "this dude would not like to fight" should be reason to pass on them? Or am I overthinking it?

afaik any dwarf in a squad will fight to the death, to the point where you can just slap all nearby dwarfs in an ambush into a squad to force them to go after the thing they were running away from seconds prior

I'm also fairly sure minmaxing like that in this game doesn't matter remotely as much as their training and equipment, unless they've put hard caps on how superdwarvenly godlike a dwarf can train up to be

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I spent half an hour today messing around with labors trying to figure out why my dwarves weren't hauling food, only to discover in the end that I had accidentally clicked the toggle in the stockpile to only accept goods from certain workshops, which, if you don't specify anything, means dwarves will never haul to it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Arcvasti posted:

You can also just specify a specific type of craft like crowns or bracelets. (Ideally two in case of an export ban). But you still have to deal with the annoying materials stuff with rock.

e: I am dumb and this is literally what you are suggesting :v:

Side note: Is there any benefit to giving dwarves both a tomb and an engraved slab? Like if I'm mass-designating tombs for everyone, is there any reason I should also engrave slabs when they die?

Also, is there a way that I can get my dwarves to switch out bins that goods are stored in for different bins? I'm sick of my trade screen having 500 different tabs of bins for different bin materials and I want to switch everything to one single material type.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 31, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

deep dish peat moss posted:

Side note: Is there any benefit to giving dwarves both a tomb and an engraved slab? Like if I'm mass-designating tombs for everyone, is there any reason I should also engrave slabs when they die?

Also, is there a way that I can get my dwarves to switch out bins that goods are stored in for different bins? I'm sick of my trade screen having 500 different tabs of bins for different bin materials and I want to switch everything to one single material type.

There's no requirement for both, you just want a slab engraved if you can't get their body in their coffin for reasons of corpse-destruction or generally being not accessible. I have noticed that even with slabs engraved, sometimes nearby tombs will still be auto-designated for a dead dwarf even if the coffin is empty, but with the crashiness of tomb designation I haven't wanted to actually gently caress with it

Swapping out bins would be finicky, but if all you care about is literally everything being one bin type you could probably do it by
- Tossing all your existing, empty bins of the wrong type
- Designating a new stock pile, 0 bins allowed, sourcing only from an existing stockpile with bins
- Continue to toss empty "incorrect" bins until they're gone, as your dwarves uncompress the old stockpile
- Delete the intermediary binless stockpile and let the dwarves drag things back into the old stockpile, with only the correct bins available

If you want to get really finicky and have a type of bin per type of stockpile, I don't know if that would be feasible without extreme micromanagement, since I think containers used in a stockpile ignore source/destination requirements set up for the stockpile itself, outside of "making sure bins of the right type are always the closest one to that stockpile and praying"

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 31, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

the only big naturals I'll accept as canon is beards :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My tavern gets some good visitors.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

punishedkissinger posted:

goblins can jump at least 2-levels in my experience

Are goblin thieves an exception to that? I only had a 1 level high surrounding a 2 level “keep” over the stairs into the fort proper. I spotted some thieves heading in so I raised the drawbridge in the curtain wall and they immediately gave up and walked back off the map

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
So I need to get rid of some... children. I looked up that making a burrow on a spike trap is the way to go, but I've assigned them to the burrow and they're not moving to it. What do?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

jeepers theres a lot to learn.

does anyone have recommended 5-10 minute videos on:
1. managing your animals? from gelding to pasturing to leatherworking?
2. the squad system. man what
3. getting a metal economy going

i still haven't found my cave dwelling yet so im still farming in surface soil. how does fertilizing work? i've got ash and potash production going, to just need to make sure the field 'has' fertilizer, and re-up every few seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

neogeo0823 posted:

they'll fight but you might traumatize them slightly more than you would with other soldiers, probably