Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Pretty sure they said something similar with the remaster of Maiden of Black Water. I can see them bringing the Wii remake of 2 to modern systems at least and... much like Metal Gear Solid 3, there exists modern assets that could be used for a remake of 1, which have only featured in a pachislot of all things. So yeah.

At this point I'll just be glad if we get modern ports of 1-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Sakurazuka posted:

At this point I'll just be glad if we get modern ports of 1-3

Big same

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mysterious frankie posted:

This is so weird. I'm in chapter 9 and have never heard Isaac bitch like a dad when he runs out of ammo or stomps a bunch on a corpse.

Vermain posted:

i believe the ammo swearing only occurs if you run out of all ammo for every weapon, and the stomp swearing requires something like 5-6+ simultaneous stomps to trigger

Lol, I just went back and stomped around a bunch and it's pretty great.

https://i.imgur.com/uU0HLUt.mp4

I think there are probably some quick gently caress!s that I missed among the stomps but I never heard a full sentence like that in my playthrough, I had to stomp around vaporizing zombie limbs for like 30 seconds to get that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i don't remember if it was already in DS1, but DS2 had the occasional cuss between frustrated stomp grunts

https://i.imgur.com/ee0Nk9x.mp4

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the DS2 stomp is so goddamn good between isaac rearing up like a pro wrestler and the fact that every necromorph you give the boot sounds like you're stepping on a big ol' pile of grapes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dead Space 2 is special in a way it rarely gets credit for. Don't get me wrong I know it's almost universally considered a good game but imo it's unique in how good it was and also a lot of what makes the remake so good is that it feels more like Dead Space 2 than Dead Space 1 to play.

Not that I'm saying DS2 is perfect just real good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also about to finally wrap up Callisto Protocol and this game really does truly loving suck. What a shame.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Dead Space 2 is special in a way it rarely gets credit for. Don't get me wrong I know it's almost universally considered a good game but imo it's unique in how good it was and also a lot of what makes the remake so good is that it feels more like Dead Space 2 than Dead Space 1 to play.

Not that I'm saying DS2 is perfect just real good.

Eh I disagree!!! DS2 is perfect

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

veni veni veni posted:

Also about to finally wrap up Callisto Protocol and this game really does truly loving suck. What a shame.

What's so bad about it? I'm keen to play but it seems to get more hate here than general reviews.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

veni veni veni posted:

Sure the final boss will turn things around

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's so bad about it? I'm keen to play but it seems to get more hate here than general reviews.

It doesn't precisely feel finished, or like a fully-baked idea. The combat's a repetitive Punch-Out minigame that falls apart instantly if and when there are multiple enemies in an area, the story's fairly threadbare, the controls seem imprecise/wonky, and the general atmosphere's not really up to the challenge of scaring the player.

TCP also does the Fallout 3 thing where it appears to have shuffled its actual ending off to the DLC.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's crazy how poorly Fatal Frame sold originally. I don't know a lot of horror fans who aren't fans of at least the first two games, but none of them actually moved units. It's actually sort of strange that Koei Tecmo committed to going five games deep on the franchise.

https://nintendoeverything.com/image-japanese-fatal-frame-sales-comparison/

A couple of sources are saying that the Maiden of Black Water re-release sold nearly 340,000 copies, which means it's handily outsold every individual game in the series to date. I'd imagine that at least a rerelease of the original 3 games should be a lock.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

one thing that playing DSR hammered home for me is how unimaginative the art design of TCP is, which i think is a significant factor in it failing to create a proper atmosphere for horror. the ishimura is a dark, smoke-filled nightmare submarine, filigreed with organic ribbing and colored in earth tones that make the whole ship seem properly dead, even before the actual spectre of death visited it. it's just a goddamn loving creepy place to be

TCP's entire aesthetic presentation is just this generic-rear end space prison with a lot of anonymous concrete corridors, miscellaneous piping sticking out of the walls, and industrial meatgrinders that manage to make even less sense than the RCPD offices having locks themed after playing card suites. it looks like every sci-fi environment you've ever seen in your life, but with volumetric lighting and occasional totally underwhelming flesh moss which you've also likely seen in sci-fi before. i really wish they'd leaned more into the fact that callisto is a horrible ice planet and made the biting cold the primary terror throughout all its sections, because that could easily punch up an otherwise mediocre setting for me

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

IMO if you can get Callisto on sale it's worth a buy. I had fun with it despite the obvious flaws that have been mentioned to death. IMO it's not a bad game, just a half-baked one that leans towards mediocre.

For my two cents on the multiple enemy thing: it's only an issue early when you don't have a gun imo, once you have the gun and can chain shot or stun dudes before engaging another it's really not an issue. Melee becomes more of an ammo saving move or last resort.

Wanderer posted:

It doesn't precisely feel finished, or like a fully-baked idea. The combat's a repetitive Punch-Out minigame that falls apart instantly if and when there are multiple enemies in an area, the story's fairly threadbare, the controls seem imprecise/wonky, and the general atmosphere's not really up to the challenge of scaring the player.

TCP also does the Fallout 3 thing where it appears to have shuffled its actual ending off to the DLC.

There has been a patch that makes enemies way less aggressive if there are multiple around, and gives you iframes when recovering from hitting an enemy or finishing a dodge.

A number of other gameplay issues were tweaked as well, two head only 1 shots on maximum security, and the final boss got tweaked apparently. Not saying it makes the game perfect, but the changes that happened certainly sound liked it addressed a chunk of issues.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Wanderer posted:

It's crazy how poorly Fatal Frame sold originally. I don't know a lot of horror fans who aren't fans of at least the first two games, but none of them actually moved units. It's actually sort of strange that Koei Tecmo committed to going five games deep on the franchise.

https://nintendoeverything.com/image-japanese-fatal-frame-sales-comparison/

A couple of sources are saying that the Maiden of Black Water re-release sold nearly 340,000 copies, which means it's handily outsold every individual game in the series to date. I'd imagine that at least a rerelease of the original 3 games should be a lock.

I'm glad Maiden sold so well! Makes me hopeful

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I waver constantly between not wanting to give it a hard time and wanting to dissect all of it's bad game design. At the end of the day if you are way into sci fi horror it looks pretty as hell and can be ok sometimes. The VA is good and the story is meh but passable. You probably won't hate that you played it. It's not bad enough that I'm cursing myself for paying $40 for it. My general demeanor is somewhere between blue and yellow here

But the combat and enemies are repetitive and restrictive, it also falls apart if there are multiple enemies (there are constantly multiple enemies) the environments look great but aren't very interesting and I never really know where I am or know why I'm doing anything, the guns are dull as poo poo and indistinguishable from one another, it probably deserves a Guinness record for most "crawling through a crack" segments in any video game, the boss fights suck...

the game also just totally prioritizes being cinematic over being fun, it's constantly ripping control away from you and letting the camera do it's own thing or killing your ability to run so the game can look snazzier. It's especially offensive if you just played Dead Space because that game is a playground of fun things to interact with and always prioritizes being fun over anything else. It's crazy because it feels like they just tried to make dead space with the numbers filed off but forgot what they did to make the game enjoyable to play the first time.

Ultimately it feels like the game hates the player and not in a fun challenging way. it's just frequently annoying, restricting and dull.

That said. its gross sci-fi gore horror poo poo with good graphics, so I'm not going to not play it :v:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TCP feels like the kind of good first effort you used to expect out of brand new studios that were still finding their footing and wanted to put something that was kind of generically safe to get their feet wet and have their name out there, except it costs $70 to buy and $160 million to make

maybe striking distance will survive it but it's gonna be a financial bath no matter how you slice it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder if it was going to be all melee combat at one point, the guns are such an afterthought.

Five whole weapons including two different pistols and two different shotguns :effort:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I didn't know Fatal Frame sold so little as a franchise. Good games.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Disposable Scud posted:

I didn't know Fatal Frame sold so little as a franchise. Good games.

It's so weird. Like Wanderer kind of said you can't really find a horror game fan of a certain age that hasn't played and liked it. Then again I know I only played the first from Blockbuster so maybe rentals were the majority of that?

They do 'lingering dread' so freaking well, the first three especially

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yeah I rented the first three for sure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vermain posted:

TCP feels like the kind of good first effort you used to expect out of brand new studios that were still finding their footing and wanted to put something that was kind of generically safe to get their feet wet and have their name out there, except it costs $70 to buy and $160 million to make

maybe striking distance will survive it but it's gonna be a financial bath no matter how you slice it

I can't help but think it would have been better received if it were like half that price. 30-40bux is what I'd pay for a sub-10 hour linear experience with a couple original ideas that also doesn't look like crap.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It would be. TCP is a textbook $30 game.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think fatal frame didn’t sell well because they’re just too goddamn scary. Too spooked to buy the game

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CharlestonJew posted:

I think fatal frame didn’t sell well because they’re just too goddamn scary. Too spooked to buy the game

:emptyquote:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I think the idea of a camera that defeats ghosts just sounded ridiculous to a lot of westerners because we don't really have a strong background in that kind of thing.

I mean in a lot of eastern cultures ghost are just a thing that can happen and there are specific ways to get rid of them. I assume the idea of cameras stealing your soul is where the camera came from which is more universal, but still. In the West ghosts are a vague idea of something evil that you have to either have the Church take care of or run away from. After all, it's extremely heretical to think that ghosts are evem real under Christian theology.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah I think the core idea of “you take pictures of ghosts” sounded lame on paper to western audiences, and wasn’t helped by the admittedly lame title of Fatal Frame. Combine that with an already pretty niche genre of games, and it’s no surprise it largely flew under the radar of the wider gaming world. It never hit the word of mouth that say, Silent Hill did.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I definitely remember thinking "So...scary Pokémon Snap?", but that was actually a big draw for me. :kiddo:

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I'll be the first to admit I'm hype for a Fatal Frame remake but on the fence about actually playing it just because the original hosed me up so bad.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

Yeah, the director of the original game has said in interviews that people have told him exactly that.

quote:

—Hmm... Hearing that makes it sound like getting the amount of unpleasantness right with horror is difficult, too. The dilemma that horror faces in terms of business is that it's not going to sell well if it's too scary.

Shibata: Yeah, it's really tricky. I often hear that people get so scared that they don't even play past the first half, and there was that one time when I gave a ROM to a writer and they said that the shelf they put Zero in was shaking at night, and ended up giving the ROM back to us without actually writing an article... (laughs).

When I was making the first Zero, I thought, "We'll make the next one twice as scary!" but I was told that it wouldn't sell. That it was enough, and it didn't have to get scarier. I think horror games are probably like a "super hot curry" restaurant where you go and put "super hot curry" on the sign, but when it's hotter than they expected they quickly go, "It's too hot!" Though that does make me wonder just what the restaurant's specialty is supposed to be, then...

The Fatal Frame/Zero project itself is also reportedly haunted: http://fftranslations.atspace.co.uk/ff3/ff3column6.html#gsc.tab=0

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm glad Maiden of Black Water's rerelease was a modest success for them. Just kinda a shame it's the weakest game in the series.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm glad Maiden of Black Water's rerelease was a modest success for them. Just kinda a shame it's the weakest game in the series.

I agree, but it was all worth it to get 4 localized and it was also nice to revisit it on better hardware. Just give me all the fatal frame.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think the idea of a camera that defeats ghosts just sounded ridiculous to a lot of westerners because we don't really have a strong background in that kind of thing.

I loved this idea when it was in Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon!

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, the director of the original game has said in interviews that people have told him exactly that.

There's some powerful mental gymnastics happening here. lol

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean in a lot of eastern cultures ghost are just a thing that can happen

I find thats what makes Japanese horror so effective, at least for me. Like, western media frequently has a reason for a ghost, maybe it latched onto the trauma in your past, or you ignored the warnings given by the locals, or you defiled a location, or even bought a property that had murders in it, whatever.

I find the scariest Japanese tales are the ones where, like, you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and now a ghost is going to tear you apart, or drag you to a dark world filled with horrors, or follow you home and be there waiting for you in the dark. Why? Because you walked down an alley that you've walked down dozens of times, literally any alley, or just happened to be in a bathroom stall, or glimpsed something in a window across the street.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Morpheus posted:

I find thats what makes Japanese horror so effective, at least for me. Like, western media frequently has a reason for a ghost, maybe it latched onto the trauma in your past, or you ignored the warnings given by the locals, or you defiled a location, or even bought a property that had murders in it, whatever.

I find the scariest Japanese tales are the ones where, like, you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and now a ghost is going to tear you apart, or drag you to a dark world filled with horrors, or follow you home and be there waiting for you in the dark. Why? Because you walked down an alley that you've walked down dozens of times, literally any alley, or just happened to be in a bathroom stall, or glimpsed something in a window across the street.

Imo that's why a lot more of the recent big horror hits, at least in movies, have been based around the Fae in some way or another. There is a reason for spooks happening, sometimes it's even a logical one, but it's based on a system so far outside of your understanding that most of the time it appears random.

You just go along your merry way until you put your hand on a tree to rest which turns out to be the front door of some Sidhe rear end in a top hat who is not happy to have been interrupted.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 21, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i imagine the core idea of random, malevolent caprice entering and destroying the life of someone who otherwise didn't do anything to deserve it has a particularly firm grip on the national psyche after, well, y'know

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1628055908667236354?t=wW50yLB26LO6WIjddFUl5Q&s=19

Blumhouse is hit or miss but when they hit they hit so net gain for horror games?

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 21, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1628055908667236354?t=wW50yLB26LO6WIjddFUl5Q&s=19

Blumhouse is hit or miss but when they hit they hit so net gain for horror games?

Well, they're only promising "horror-themed games", so we'll have to see what that entails.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If their track record with games pans out to be anything like the movies expect 75 bad games for every accidental good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

But will Steve Blum play an important role in their tentpole franchise.