Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

run on sentience posted:

Single use plastics were banned federally in 2022, but that was rescinded in November 2023.

LOL. You could still just buy a package of plastic straws for personal use though. People will just think you're an earth murderer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kwyndig posted:

Freaked me out the first time I got one of those coffee cup lids on my soda and no straw.

I hadn't thought about that, that seems preferable to a cardboard straw that starts off bad and gets worse as you use it.

Qylvaran posted:

Isn't that the point?

:mods:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I hadn't thought about that, that seems preferable to a cardboard straw that starts off bad and gets worse as you use it.

:mods:

Counterpoint: for every paper based straw in a cocktail I am sip-chugging it lest I deal with paper hell. for me this has been a boon, for other, questionable.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Full body deodorant" is what we call in my neck of the woods 'hot water and soap'.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Full body deodorant is a chemical you slather over your body and don't wash off. As such it's different than plain old soap and water.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ah, so it's basically Axe for women.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

We've had paper straws everywhere in Australia for a while. They're terrible compared to the old plastic ones. Frozen cokes are very popular and the straws barely work for them. I've heard good things about bamboo straws.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Bamboo straws are vastly superior to paper ones.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Yeah, but then you'll have pandas snorting coke with them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is that more or less likely to make them gently caress properly?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I have a nice titanium straw.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Marcade posted:

Yeah, but then you'll have pandas snorting coke with them.

or you cause false positives for bamboo fibers

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm sure there's a reason I'm missing here, but it seems like they should just make "paper" straws out of whatever they make recyclable coffee cups out of? Instead of the kind that disintegrates.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm sure there's a reason I'm missing here, but it seems like they should just make "paper" straws out of whatever they make recyclable coffee cups out of? Instead of the kind that disintegrates.

Surprise, it's plastic and they aren't recyclable!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Paper doesn't really recycle that well anyway. Compostable paper that was separated and actually composted would probably be the best thing to do, but that also almost certainly wouldn't work as a coffee cup and almost none of them would actually get composted.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The goal with food touching paper is biodegradable because organic sugars and grease are instantly incompatible with economic paper recycling. Compostable is an added bonus but there is a want for degradable bulk in mixed stream waste to dilute the awful stuff so biodegradable is fine.

Not a material scientist but I think there's options to get either compostable or biodegradable containers and straws that work to get your milkshake to your lips but their unit cost would not bring all the boys to your yard.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shoot it into space

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Maybe they could make beverages into ferrofluids and we can just drink through magnetic rings in our lips

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sir Lemming posted:

Many "paper" cups are laminated. So it's less plastic waste overall, but they aren't really recyclable, reusable, nor compostable. This would work for straws too, but why?

Laminated paper would be the right solution if the problem we were trying to solve was that oil had become incredibly expensive, making plastic much more costly than paper.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Brawnfire posted:

Maybe they could make beverages into ferrofluids and we can just drink through magnetic rings in our lips

Or they could put beverages into a sort of convenient container with an opening at the top that you could drink straight out of instead of having to use a straw. Alas, we just do not have the technology, and so straws continue to be the only possible way to consume a drink.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

Or they could put beverages into a sort of convenient container with an opening at the top that you could drink straight out of instead of having to use a straw. Alas, we just do not have the technology, and so straws continue to be the only possible way to consume a drink.

Some people just love to suck. Can't get enough of it. I'm sure Freud would have opinions about it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Well yeah this is why I was suggesting a solution with such a simple implementation

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Some people just love to suck. Can't get enough of it. I'm sure Freud would have opinions about it.

I only use plastic straws shaped like dicks.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I'm more annoyed at grocery stores moving to paper bags with zero handles then having the audacity to charge you per bag. Or, in some cases, continuing to use the plastic bags but still charging you extra.

I'm fine with paper bags, but for the love of God, there are variants that have handles. They aren't the best handles but it is better than nothing.

And charging extra per bag is just a scam. Sure, I could buy a reusable bag but I absolutely suck at remembering to bring the bag with me.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If Mork had just bred rapidly with humans, eventually Humans would all be able to drink through their fingers and wouldn't need straws

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Facebook Aunt posted:

But enough about your posting

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

jadebullet posted:

I'm more annoyed at grocery stores moving to paper bags with zero handles then having the audacity to charge you per bag. Or, in some cases, continuing to use the plastic bags but still charging you extra.

I'm fine with paper bags, but for the love of God, there are variants that have handles. They aren't the best handles but it is better than nothing.

And charging extra per bag is just a scam. Sure, I could buy a reusable bag but I absolutely suck at remembering to bring the bag with me.

At least locally there's a plastic bag ban that includes a minimum cost per bag for single use paper bags as well.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain Hygiene posted:

But enough about your posting

:iceburn:

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

jadebullet posted:

Just do what my wife did, she went to a thrift store, got about 20 reusable bags for 5 dollars and left 10 in each vehicle, so that there were always reusable bags for shopping. It works great, and at the store we shop at, you get a 10 cent discount for every reusable bag you bring use.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I Miss Snausages posted:

Just do what my wife did, she went to a thrift store, got about 20 reusable bags for 5 dollars and left 10 in each vehicle, so that there were always reusable bags for shopping. It works great, and at the store we shop at, you get a 10 cent discount for every reusable bag you bring use.

Buy ten things, put each in its own bag, save a dollar?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Order a couple pallets of bags from alibaba, walk out a few grand richer each shopping trip

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Some places use these plastic-looking straws that come in wrappers that say they're biodegradable, and they work just as well as plastic so I'm not sure why they're not more popular over paper straws.

I assume the reason is because the wrappers are lying and they aren't actually biodegradable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Knormal posted:

Some places use these plastic-looking straws that come in wrappers that say they're biodegradable, and they work just as well as plastic so I'm not sure why they're not more popular over paper straws.

I assume the reason is because the wrappers are lying and they aren't actually biodegradable.

All the alternatives to plastic straws are more expensive than plastic straws. Presumably the ones that actually work for more than 90 seconds are the most expensive.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

They're probably made of PLA plastic, which is biodegradable*

*not actually biodegradable except in specialized high temperature industrial composting

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
People sure complain about the paper straws, but I guess I just drink my drink too fast? By the time I finish, they usually start to feel like they're coming apart, but... shrug.

It doesn't feel like a big sacrifice to have a less than perfect plastic straw that will won't end up in a turtle's windpipe.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

credburn posted:

People sure complain about the paper straws, but I guess I just drink my drink too fast? By the time I finish, they usually start to feel like they're coming apart, but... shrug.

It doesn't feel like a big sacrifice to have a less than perfect plastic straw that will won't end up in a turtle's windpipe.

What if we make local waste-to-energy plants instead of shipping waste around the world? Then our trash doesn't get to the ocean no matter what it is.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
pretty sure that means burning which is just hydrocarbons with extra steps , and with impurities and therefore less effective?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BRB marketing coal as a hydrocarbon‐free energy source

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PhazonLink posted:

pretty sure that means burning which is just hydrocarbons with extra steps , and with impurities and therefore less effective?

Yeah, but but it's burning stuff we already aren't going to recycle. You could make an argument for sequestering the carbon by burying the trash, but we aren't going to do that either. Plastics you burn don't turn into micro plastics or join the pacific garbage patch, instead turning into much smaller trash and airborne carbon.

Shipping trash involves trash getting lost all over the place, and also making more airborne carbon burning the fuel to move the trash around. Never mind that often a literal tonne of recyclable plastic gets rejected and sent to the landfill because it is contaminated by a a single poorly rinsed out yogurt cup. Stop trying to ship trash to poorer countries and let the people who made it deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

credburn posted:

My straws go to the landfill, what are YOU doing with your straws?