Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martman
Nov 20, 2006

My favorite scene from TFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've kept thinking about that Star Wars sidestory pitch I thought of and by now I've figured out the basic structure and the plot, as well as the major characters.

I keep doing these things to myself, thinking up stuff that'll never be. :smith:

File off the serial numbers and make it your own totally original do-not-steal space opera saga. Lucas would approve.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Maxwell Lord posted:

File off the serial numbers and make it your own totally original do-not-steal space opera saga. Lucas would approve.

I dunno: when I come up with these Star Wars scenarios, a lot of my feelings about Star Wars end up part of it. If I made up my own space opera, I'd go for something different, a lot freer than when bound to an already existing universe. Which isn't really a bad thing, but does mean I can't just translate an idea from one to the other.

I'd totally use ELO and Blue Oyster Cult for the soundtrack to whatever saga I came up with.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A photo taken earlier this year by Oscar Isaac on the set of Episode VIII:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gonz posted:

A photo taken earlier this year by Oscar Isaac on the set of Episode VIII:

Might've twigged earlier something was wrong with her. He has a lot to answer for.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So it looks like they were on set together, would be good to see some interaction between Luke and Leia again.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

blamegame posted:

serious prequel question: what is its reception like internationally? I mean like, in terms of popularity, influence, critical opinion, especially in non anglo countries

It is literally banned in 8 countries for "childhood raping."

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder what Zizek thinks about Sonic.

Probably thinks that it's the ultimate pervert art.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Was watching Rogue one with a buddy who hadn't seen it, and there were a ton of subtle moments in the movie that I didn't notice earlier. Something that really caught my eye though was in Jeddah after the ambush... is that a wampa?Carrying a blaster? Are they space-faring creatures and the one in empire was just some crazy hermit wampa?

The Biggest Jerk fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 30, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's that one Wampa like creature that looks like Immortan Joe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Martman posted:

I dunno, if R2 had just played an audio message from Leia I don't think Luke would have been as interested...

Luke got a boner for his sister.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sassassin posted:

Might've twigged earlier something was wrong with her. He has a lot to answer for.

If there's one thing everyone knew about Carrie Fisher, it's that there was something wrong with her.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Was watching Rogue one with a buddy who hadn't seen it, and there were a ton of subtle moments in the movie that I didn't notice earlier. Something that really caught my eye though was in Jeddah after the ambush... is that a wampa?Carrying a blaster? Are they space-faring creatures and the one in empire was just some crazy hermit wampa?

Nah, that's Moroff. He's a mercenary Gigoran which are closer to Wookiees than Wampas.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Luke got a boner for his sister.

But what's this got to do with Sonic the Hedgehog, the children's cartoon character that doesn't gently caress?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's nothing more than the Hedgehog/Prower phenomenon of ostensibly adult characters engaged in prolonged and intense bouts of presexual intimacy.

FN and Poe - despite being twenty- and thirty-somethings, respectively - are several steps behind Matthew Broderick's teen hacker in Wargames, who tentatively explores how it feels to take his shirt off in front of a girl.

For fans, the actual erotic appeal comes from the fact that Sonic The Hedgehog does not gently caress. Ever. He achieves full satisfaction just by staring at you with his massive hypersensitive eyes, and passionately filling his rounded belly with chilidogs. Poe and FN, likewise, will never move beyond hugging and trying on eachothers' clothes. They have no need to.

Came here thinking "well it's been long enough for SMG to steer this thread into some kinda silly argument/discussion about some weird reading of Rogue 1." I was wrong about which movie I guess but good god.

Lol.

Qonas
Apr 21, 2010

For fans, the actual erotic appeal comes from the fact that Sonic The Hedgehog does not gently caress. Ever. He achieves full satisfaction just by staring at you with his massive hypersensitive eyes, and passionately filling his rounded belly with chilidogs. Poe and FN, likewise, will never move beyond hugging and trying on eachothers' clothes. They have no need to.

Jesus christ.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I just want it recorded at this moment in time that right now the other two nerd megathreads (comics and greenlighted) are talking about Star Wars while everyone in the Star Wars thread is too busy being flabbergasted about the sexlessness of a cartoon hedgehog.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Star War has gone on far too long.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The Star War has gone on far too long.

Settle in, we definitely have at least 20-30 more years of Star War to come.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That's nothing more than the Hedgehog/Prower phenomenon of ostensibly adult characters engaged in prolonged and intense bouts of presexual intimacy.

FN and Poe - despite being twenty- and thirty-somethings, respectively - are several steps behind Matthew Broderick's teen hacker in Wargames, who tentatively explores how it feels to take his shirt off in front of a girl.

Kept thinking about this post today and laughing

One of your best SMG

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Clearly if there was a Star War we were the ones who lost.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

I'm reminded of that post about using the power of the mind to build a giant dad out of protoplasm and lookin at his dick, and Jenny pointing out that whatever you think of SMG's ideas, the cat can loving write. This poo poo is incredible

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Warwick Davis was the weird ugnaught looking guy on Jeddah fighting with Saw's men. From fuzzy terrorist to wrinkled terrorist.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

AndyElusive posted:

Nah, that's Moroff. He's a mercenary Gigoran which are closer to Wookiees than Wampas.

Actually he's a Death Star.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

sassassin posted:

#wearedeathstar

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

sassassin posted:

I'll update Wookieepedia.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think the intent with TFA was to leave the details vague and see what fan response was before they elaborated on the specifics of stuff like the galaxy's political situation and where everybody's wiener is going.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

General Dog posted:

I think the intent with TFA was to leave the details vague and see what fan response was before they elaborated on the specifics of stuff like the galaxy's political situation and where everybody's wiener is going.

All wieners go in Sonic The Hedgehogs mouth apparently. He does not gently caress though.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

General Dog posted:

Bad way to make movies imo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The fan response to the Force Awakens has been that the movie is trying to elimate white people from existence, Poe/Finn are a couple, and Jyn Erso is Rey's mom. Never ever listen to the fans.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

blamegame posted:

Bad way to make movies imo

I said come in! posted:

The fan response to the Force Awakens has been that the movie is trying to elimate white people from existence, Poe/Finn are a couple, and Jyn Erso is Rey's mom. Never ever listen to the fans.

:agreed:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yes, although it's more specifically a McLuhanist film about 'cool' media, oral culture, etc. It's more generally about media as prosthetic enhancement (and vice-versa). Hence Lucas' fixation on prosthetic limbs. The sword is an extension of the arm, the car is an extension of the leg, etc.

The trash compactor scene centres around a telephone conversation. Leia's tiny holographic message is unmistakably a television image. Obiwan' power is speech. Luke listens for the target, while Vader's computer limits awareness of his surroundings. That's what the film's about.

I know something that may interest you along these lines.

In Rogue One, the scene where Cassian and Jyn are trying to find the plans in the archive, using what one poster has called a claw machine, was a reference to a piece of television equipment called a "smart cart machine." This was large (maybe 3'x5'x10') machine that consisted of a bank of tapes to be broadcasted, and a mechanical "claw" that would choose the right tape and move it into the tape player. Before all television became digital in the early 2000s, any given television broadcasting station in the US would likely have such a machine.

Given that the climax of the film takes place on top of a giant television transmission tower, I'm confident that this was deliberate.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 31, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Serious question: every star wars movie since star wars has been all white except one of the men is black and all male except one of the white people is a woman. How does the Force Awakens fitting this pattern exactly make it less white or male than a movie from 40 years earlier?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

Serious question: every star wars movie since star wars has been all white except one of the men is black and all male except one of the white people is a woman. How does the Force Awakens fitting this pattern exactly make it less white or male than a movie from 40 years earlier?

Your guess is as good as mine. People are weird.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
TPM features two black men and three white women!

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

It's this kind of loopy analysis that's driven the silent majority away from this forum and to the other one where the platonic ideal of movie reviews is to post one line saying if its good or bad, and then you give up your material possessions and retire to the forests to meditate and attain moksha.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i hope anakin's force ghost is in episode 8 and appears before kylo ren

and then he just says "sonic the hedgehog does not gently caress. ever." and disappears

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Lol at all the poor children whose minds were warped by degenerate sonic

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Zoran posted:

TPM features two black men and three white women!

Man I was so disappointed when the very first scene of Episode II started and there was no Captain Panaka. I thought that dude was great, like, I had his action figure and everything. Turns out that gunfight in the Palace was probably the most interesting thing that ever happened to him.

Also whoever was driving that transport is def. dead as poo poo so I really hope it wasn't Ric Olé :x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I know something that may interest you along these lines.

In Rogue One, the scene where Cassian and Jyn are trying to find the plans in the archive, using what one poster has called a claw machine, was a reference to a piece of television equipment called a "smart cart machine." This was large (maybe 3'x5'x10') machine that consisted of a bank of tapes to be broadcasted, and a mechanical "claw" that would choose the right tape and move it into the tape player. Before all television became digital in the early 2000s, any given television broadcasting station in the US would likely have such a machine.

Given that the climax of the film takes place on top of a giant television transmission tower, I'm confident that this was deliberate.

I hope this is a deliberate nod to the fact that the set dressing for the Death Star controls came from old broadcast TV stations.

• Locked thread