Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Well that's why you put a lime in it.

That doesn't sound comfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Well that's why you put a lime in it.

Yep. The Brits having access to fresh lime was a big game changer. It's funny, though; later in the 19th century they started storing ut in some new way that leeched all the vitamin C out of it, but they didn't notice because voyages were so much shorter on steamships. That's why all those early arctic expeditions are wracked with scurvy: they had lime, just useless lime. Scurvy is crazy because they didn't fully understand it until pretty recently, but for a decent part of the age of sail it wasn't a big problem. They knew citrus staved it off, but they didn't understand why.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I haven't used proper proof rum, but I've made authentic grog from the original Royal Navy recipe with Pusser's Blue Label (purportedly the same rum blend, albeit at 40% ABV, though they sell the original proof as Black Label). It tastes like exactly what it is: watered down rum with a bit of lime. Refreshing after a long day at work in the sun, but as a drink it's incredibly boring.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HEY GUNS posted:

it was hard, they had no blenders

I heard they had to mix their drinks up in a sock and bang it against the wall

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Oh boy, alcohol! The Red Army actually had quite complex alcohol rules. Vodka was largely given only to front line troops in direct contact with the enemy. Also on the Transcaucasian Front, you could substitute a vodka ration with twice as much "fortified wine" and three times as much "table wine".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FishFood posted:

later in the 19th century they started storing ut in some new way that leeched all the vitamin C out of it
canning the juice. heat breaks vitamin c down

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FishFood posted:

Fun fact, if you have a daquiri with a navy proof rum you're effectively drinking the same thing the british navy drank as grog. rum, lime, sugar (sailors might not have always had sugar and definitely didn't have ice). Navy-proof is defined as 57.5% abv, and that used to be the benchmark for 100 proof. At some point the scale was changed so that 100 proof equalled 50% abv.

The reason 57.5 was marked as 100 proof is pretty nifty: it's the minimum proofage that you can soak black powder in and still light it. There was a whole big ceremony before giving every man his tot which involved some officers soaking a little powder and lighting it, to prove to the men it wasn't watered down. You'd then put a little water in, lime, sugar if you have it and presto! Grog! In the age of sail this was done every loving day, because a tipsy sailor is a happy sailor.

Drink more rum everyone. Rum is the best.

Not changed . British proof is as you describe and just isn't used anymore thanks to EU harmonisation. American proof has always been 100 equals 50% abv because America hates other countries' standards I guess?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Power Khan posted:

He left out the scurvy and sodomy.

Fun fact: I've heard the phrase "rum, sodomy and the lash" before and I knew it was Churchill that said it, but until recently I wasn't aware of the context.

That context was Churchill trying to push through reform of the Navy, and when confronted with an obnoxious admiral complaining that he was "destroying the grand traditions of the Royal Navy," Churchill's reply was "And what are those traditions? Rum, sodomy, and the lash. Good day, sir."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

You joke, but this is quite close to how fermented milk drinks like kumis are made in Central Asia: you hang the fermenting mixture in a bag by your doorway and everyone passing by gives it a good punch to keep it mixed up.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

my granddad got court-martialed for drunkenness in the face of the enemy on dday +3 after stumbling on a cellar full of Calvados.

I did the Dday/Overlord tour while I was in Normandy last year and from what the tour guide told us, what your granddad did was very common. I can’t blame him either. Calvados is good poo poo but goddamn it will get you drunk quick.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Beefeater1980 posted:

Happy New Year from Kuala Lumpur, Milhist goons! New year’s challenge: is there anything notable that happened in the Klang Valley / Kuala Lumpur region ever from a military perspective (and no, Merdeka and anything from the Emergency don’t count).

There was the Klang War in the 1860s-70s. Was kind of interesting. Weak sultan, rival Malay chiefs, disinherited guy trying to claim the Sultanate, Chinese secret societies, tin mining.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

FishFood posted:

Yep. The Brits having access to fresh lime was a big game changer. It's funny, though; later in the 19th century they started storing ut in some new way that leeched all the vitamin C out of it, but they didn't notice because voyages were so much shorter on steamships. That's why all those early arctic expeditions are wracked with scurvy: they had lime, just useless lime. Scurvy is crazy because they didn't fully understand it until pretty recently, but for a decent part of the age of sail it wasn't a big problem. They knew citrus staved it off, but they didn't understand why.

They started with lemons, which have much more vitamin C before they switched to limes. Something about limes being more convenient to source from within the empire.

More confusingly, citrus fruits aren't even the only sources of vitamin C, it's found in a whole range of foods in ample amounts to prevent scurvy, but it's destroyed by most preservation methods, so it's normally just in fresh foods. Arctic explorers could stave off scurvy by catching fresh seal, provided they weren't being stubborn about eating their own canned provisions. Conversely, you can get scurvy deep inland if all you eat is preserved stuff. Pasteurization's great for preventing other diseases, but it destroys vitamin C.

When the British made their fancy multi-disease-resistance cocktail, the lime juice was basically worthless for preventing scurvy, but nobody noticed that they un-found the cure for the disease because travel times were short enough that sailors could get fresh food anyways.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I'm shocked by how you guys forget the good barrel of Sauerkraut.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Lemons straight up have twice as much Vitamin C, whoops

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon#Nutritional_value_and_phytochemicals
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_(fruit)#Nutrition_and_research

The Lützen mass grave is mentioned itt every now and then and they apparently straight up excavated the entire thing in on (well, two) pieces - that's the metal bit in the middle apparently.

That's p stark

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Power Khan posted:

I'm shocked by how you guys forget the good barrel of Sauerkraut.

Man that chef in the galley had the worst luck in the Royal Navy when he had to dish that out.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Sauerkraut is awesome

Also so is sodomy and rum, gently caress Churchill

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fangz posted:

Sauerkraut is awesome

Also so is sodomy and rum, gently caress Churchill

Yeah but I imagine 18th century seamen and landsmen from England to be a tough crowd to convince.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
You mean the fine sense of taste of the 18th century commoner from England were offended by it?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Sock was a rank, right

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

That's p stark
the noerdlingen mass grave is also pretty disorganized, as mass graves go

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/rare-discovery-mass-grave-from-thirty-years-war-found-a-546079.html

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Did your armies bury their own after a battle, or are peasant mobs stripping and burying them?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Power Khan posted:

You mean the fine sense of taste of the 18th century commoner from England were offended by it?

Almost certainly, because sauerkraut tastes like something.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Almost certainly, because sauerkraut tastes like something.

English and German food are historically pretty similar actually...prestige cuisine is French, local stuff is meat based, not seasoned/sauced heavily, extra flavour comes more from spicy condiments on the side (try some Colmans mustard if you think English food is traditionally completely bland).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah but I imagine 18th century seamen and landsmen from England to be a tough crowd to convince.

Captain Cook mentioned this difficulty, and claimed that he overcame it by serving it as a delicacy to the officers for a while.

Re grog, IIRC the often made with molasses rather than sugar.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Captain Cook mentioned this difficulty, and claimed that he overcame it by serving it as a delicacy to the officers for a while.

Re grog, IIRC the often made with molasses rather than sugar.

Ah the Lobster effect.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Somebody mentioned their grandfather being courtmartialed for being drunk in Europe during WWII.

Man, throughout the many books I’ve read about the Allied expeditionary force in Europe, this seems to be a common theme. It sounds like Ronald Spiers (of BoB fame) really did shoot one of his men for being drunk on D-Day for example, and the stories just go and and on.

I always picture some kid from Nebraska or Idaho, grew up on a farm maybe, and maybe drank beer one time in his life. Then he comes to France after the channel invasion and every house in every town has cognac and wine and brandy and and and...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MrMojok posted:

I always picture some kid from Nebraska or Idaho, grew up on a farm maybe, and maybe drank beer one time in his life. Then he comes to France after the channel invasion and every house in every town has cognac and wine and brandy and and and...

I mean think of college freshmen at a kegger. Except with guns and the alcohol is free so no one's watering down the punch. Teenagers are gonna be teenagers.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OK, I'm drinking and -

it saddens me that blimp and airship crews didn't have their own booze

somebody please make a suggestion

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

feedmegin posted:

English and German food are historically pretty similar actually...prestige cuisine is French, local stuff is meat based, not seasoned/sauced heavily, extra flavour comes more from spicy condiments on the side (try some Colmans mustard if you think English food is traditionally completely bland).

Tewkesbury mustard was such a staple of 16th and 17th century English kitchens that it earned a reference by Shakespeare in Henry IV Part 2.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also, slightly more useful post:

How the British lost their scurvy treatment

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MrMojok posted:

Somebody mentioned their grandfather being courtmartialed for being drunk in Europe during WWII.

Man, throughout the many books I’ve read about the Allied expeditionary force in Europe, this seems to be a common theme. It sounds like Ronald Spiers (of BoB fame) really did shoot one of his men for being drunk on D-Day for example, and the stories just go and and on.

I don't want to start grandfather chat again, but dealing with this is what one of my grandfathers did during WW2 - he'd been working on his law degree at the time, so he spent the war working at a JAG office dealing with American soldiers who'd hosed up badly enough to be sent home for punishment. I've seen his diary, and drat if it isn't filled with "New truckload of fuckups today fresh from the boat. Eight rapists, four murderers, a looter, and repeatedly getting into drunken brawls with non-American troops to the point of punching out a British major."

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

... to the point of punching out a British major."

This part is understandable at least.

Today's installment jumps straight from #12 to #14, I have no idea where #13 went :iiam:

COMBAT DOPE SHEET #14 The Philippines (continued)

COMBAT posted:

During the past few weeks, the Prowling Panther of the Philippine Seas has stalked and hunted all the sea lanes of the islands. Hiding in sheltered coves by day and streaking out for the kill at night. OLD TINSMAN has taken on all comers, whether they be lighthouses or mail (boxes). By night ruthless killers of the deep – by day frolicking buccaneers on the beaches of the Philippines. These high sped assignments have taken the TINSMAN into many nooks and crannies of the fascinating Philippines, and have demonstrated how war has decimated the once-beautiful cities of the islands. City by city, COMBAT will take you around again on the milk run:

---- ILOILO ----

Pronounced ee-lo-ee-lo, municipality population 90,480, fifth largest city in the Philippines, and a thriving city of commerce before the Japs arrived. When news came of the Jap invasion, the loyal Filipinos burned and destroyed most of their own city, and retired to the hills to fight as guerrillas. In keeping with their usual practice, the Japs took over what was left and drained out the last ounce of resources from the city. You probably noticed the long row of wharehouses near the docks, with the word “MITSUI” (a Jap business firm) painted on them – Mitsui happens to be the most prosperous member of the whole “Co-Prosperity Sphere”. The reason for his original success is that nothing was too small for his boys; for example the pilot that guided the TINSMAN to the anchorage in Iloilo was wearing those bright gold buttons on his white coat for the first time in 3 years, because the Japs had a habit of confiscating gold. Just another reason why the people never smiled during the Jap occupation was because they didn’t want anybody to get a glimpse of their gold fillings. The Japs gave a new meaning to the tem “gold-digger”.

Iloilo before the war was an exporter of sugar and copra, and in its position in the middle of the islands, it developed into an important transportation center. Large dock facilities, daily air service to Manila, ferry service to Negros and Cebu, a railroad network covering the island, and telegraph, telephone, and cable lines made it the key to the central Philippines, and the city prospered as a seaport. The long and hard years of war have reduced the city from a modern economy to a form of primitive barter – that market-place was a good example. From the modern stores that now lie in ruins, the merchants have retreated to corrugated metal shacks and hovels where they trade their pitiful stocks for whatever they can get in food and clothing. One of the principal sources of income is from that bubbling, cloudy orange stuff in the huge jars. This joy juice (called “tuba”) is the pure sap of the coconut tree, and is a very fine drink if it is discreetly consumed and not spiked. For the benefit of many sailors who want a fast jag, some Filipine merchants have added a booster charge of methyl (wood) alcohol that really makes the stuff the life of the party. Somebody in the islands has gone into the liquor business and is frantically bottling various kinds of alcoholic beverages. The Army tested 160 samples of this stuff and every one contained wood alcohol, and many of those lads that gulped the stuff woke up with hangovers plus inflammation of the intestines, dysentery, and blindness. Many deaths from methyl alcohol poisoning have been recorded. So that’s why we pass up the “Samar Scotch” and have a Schlitz instead.

You’re beginning to see with your own eyes what complicated wreckage can be piled up by a war, and just because the Japs are licked it doesn’t mean the wreckage stops. It goes on and on, and is often supported by the innocent – maybe even you. It’s pretty hard to be stingy to the natives that flock around the ship in the “bancas”, but every time you give a native Joe 10 pesos for some four months old eggs, you are helping to undermine the shaky Philippine economy. Also, instead of working for the U.S. Army in the big job of finishing the war, your good friend Joe will spend all of his time hunting stale eggs to sell to big- hearted you. That’s why those Army boys, when they see a Navy liberty boat approaching, throw up their hands and say ”Ohmigawd, here comes inflation!

---- SUBIC BAY ----

An excellent harbor, before the war Subic Bay was strictly controlled by the U.S. Navy. After the Japs moved down the Lingayen corridor in December, 1941, the bay was quickly converted into a Jap operating base. It was in the narrow confines of this bay that John Bulkeley of PT boat fame had his best hunting, and his exploits in these waters will always have a niche in U.S. naval history. The bay is 8 x 3-1/2 miles, and is protected at the entrance by Grande Island, which is the liberty spot now. Two “barrios”, Olongapo and Subic, border the bay and are not of any great consequence. Back in the mountains that st(r)etch upward from this bay are the picturesque rice terraces, where entire mountain side have been banked up in huge contours to hold the water that is pumped up from the rivers in the valleys. The rich vegetation in this area includes tropical fruits such as oranges, pomelos (Filipino for grapefruit), limes, bananas, jack-fruit (Filipino breadfruit – each fruit weighs between 5-50 pounds), papaya (a melon), guava (a small plum-like fruit). All these rich agricultural regions are connected with Manila by a fine system of highways and railroads.

---- BANTANGAS ----

Pronounced baa-TANG-gaas, a municipality populations of 48,757, including an area of 50 square miles. The actual city, called the poblacion (pronounced po-bla-SEE-own) has about 5,000 people. To complete the language lecture, in the Philippines, a small town is called a “barrio”, those small boats that hang around the fantail are called “bancas”, and those small horse drawn carts are called “carromatas”. Even though we’re putting the cart before the horse, the word for horse is “caballo”.

Before the war Batangas was a very prosperous, well-fed community, famed in manila as the producer of fine meats, chickens, eggs, and vegetables. The Japs confiscated all edibles in sight, including rice, and secceeded in dragging this once prosperous community down to the brink of starvation. The Japs had a lot of trouble with the people of Batangas when they started their systematic looting: many sections of the town are completely burned out as punishment dealt out by the Japs when they located a trouble-maker. The Jap officer in charge of the area once admitted that the people were “90% American” – later Tojo himself visited the area to drool over his conquests, and he corrected this impression to 95% by his own statement. About 18,000 people died during the period of Jap occupancy, and two-thirds of the buildings were completely destroyed.

One of the amusing tricks the Japs pulled on Batangas was to shut off the city’s fresh water system of artesian wells. This drove the people to drinking polluted water from steams and shallow wells and developed many contagious and fatal diseases, which suited them just fine. Medical authorities estimate that 90% of the people of Batangas are infected with roundworms, a nasty reptile that latches onto the intestinal tract. The most spectacular case known in the area was the six-year old boy that had 500 roundworms, lead pencil size and one foot long, removed by operation. The results of this affliction are loss of weight, terrific appetite, dysentery, and intestinal convulsions. COMBAT shakes a warning finger at the TINSMAN boys to beware of questionable water, unclean food, particularly fruit and vegetables. When Mother Nature puts her own jacket on it, like the banana, it’s OK, but never eat any thin-skinned fruit or food from the native restaurants. If you’re tempted sometime, remember how many roundworms the six-year old small fry could hold, and think of your capacity!

---- MASBATE ----

Pronounced maas-Baa-tay, municipality population 23,340, capital of the 11 th largest island in the Philippines. It will be remembered as the high-water mark of the TINSMAN travels, because of the great social conquest of the crew. The TINSMAN boys were almost the first Americans the natives of Masbate had seen for over 3 years, and the liked it to say the least. Last September 55 U.S. planes bombed the Jap headquarters and shipping at Masbate, and the natives immediately fled the town, thinking the long-awaited invasion was coming. For six long months the natives lived like animals in the mountains, and finally the Americans arrived. When a few LCI rocket ships arched their spectacular patterns at the beach last March, the Japs ran out of the city into the mountains, and the natives ran out of the mountains into the city. Today the remaining Japs are only a few miles away from the city, naked, starving , diseased and surrounded by guerrillas. A few days after we left Masbate, some Japs infiltrated into the town and brutally murdered 4 women and left a young lad for dead, stabbed 14 times.

Masbate faired about the same as the other Philippine cities, and will have a huge task of reconstruction. According to the patriarch of the town, the lighthouse keeper who came out to meet us in his canoe, the TINSMAN lifted the morale of the Masbate populace immeasurably by displaying its band and bringing a little music and laughter into the place. For those of you that missed it, the high point of the fiesta came when “Krupa” Schultz, the Tinsides drummer, suddenly felt inspired in the middle of a nostalgic version of “Sweet Sue” to launch himself into a knock-down, drag out swing interpretation of the song, with eyes rolling and tongue hanging out. That stopped the natives cold. They were accustomed to many surprises from the white man’s way of life, but this one topped Coca-cola and ice cream combined.

In the pre-war days most of the copra and cattle shipped from the island left via the modern concrete dock in Masbate, and in recent years the area has become important b(e)cause of gold deposits on the other side of the bay. The extensive mineral resources of the Philippines, including gold, silver, iron, copper, bismuth, chromium, mercury, platinum, and nickel, have hardly been touched, and offer great opportunities for commerce in the post-war world.

---- CEBU CITY ----

Second largest city in the Philippines (146,817), pronounced say-BOO. The great Catholic shrine of the Philippines – in this city the Filipinos have erected a large wooden cross called “La Cruz Creciente” (“the growing cross”), on the spot where the first mass was said in the Philippines. According to popular superstition, the cross is supposed to grow in height year by year. Catholicism was introduced by Magellan, who landed on Mactan Island near Cebu City in 1521 – the first white man to reach the Philippines. In a skirmish with the natives the great explorer, first man to sail around the world, was killed, and he lies buried on Mactan Island. A monument has been erected near his grave. Cebu City in modern times grew to be one of the most picturesque cities in the Philippines, so naturally the Japs gave it a real first class going over when they left. Before the war, Cebu was a prosperous seaport. The Japs wrecked the water system, and ruined the power plant and telephone system. Until then most of the homes had metered drinking water and electric lights. The Japs couldn’t hurt the sewage system very much, because that was a house-to-house proposition of pits and cesspools. Now the diligent Filipinos are building primitive huts over the ruins of their former fine homes – three years of the Jap “prosperity” has set them back generations in their way of life.

---- ZAMBOANGA ----

Population 131,455 – third largest city in the Philippines. Just another triumph of Jap destruction, but even in its present state of near annihilation it is distinctive among Philippine cities. Although many of you were undoubtedly disappointed to discover that monkeys do have tails in Zamboanga, there are still many different institutions on this southernmost part of the islands. For we have sailed into the land of the fabulous Moros.

In the 14 th or 15 th century, many brave souls of the Malay peninsula, on the Asiatic mainland, gathered up a few cooking pots, spears, blankets, and tom-toms, and climbed into the family outrigger and started out inot the uncharted seas.

They were converts to the religion of Mohammedanism – a result of the ambitious travels of many Arabs. They landed on Mindanao, Palawan, Basilan, and the islands of the Sulu Sea, and settled down to a nice steady life of was and piracy. Being the toughest fighters and the best sailors in the Philippines, they sailed up and down the China Seas and plundered the coastal cities of Fanay, Negros, and even China and Japan! This piracy continued into the 20 th century, and was not stamped out until Admiral Dewey’s gunboats made a few trips to Zamboanga. Things had begun to quiet down for the Moros until the Japs came, then they were inspired to break out the poisoned daggers again and go back to work. You saw many of the older men in the “bancas” with queer looking teeth and gums – they are Moros, and are hangovers from the days when Moros filed their teeth to a sharp needle point and chewed betel nut to stain them a rich purple. The filing was accomplished by a very hard flint-like stone, and the higher class Moros always had a skillful curved outward sweep to his front teeth, in addition to the points.

The Moros are extreme isolationists and fiercely resent intrusions of foreigners. Although they have accepted alliance with the U.S. Army in its war against the Japs, it’s only 40 years ago that they were charging down the mountainsides with their spears aimed at General John J. Pershing and his men. The religious leader of the Moros is the Sultan of Sulu, and he incidentally is the only sultan under the American flag (one other royal family lives under the stars and stripes - in Hawaii). No information on the presence of a harem, so we’ll have to leave that up to you: would you have a harem if you were the Sultan of Sulu?

If you should ever happen to find yourself in a genuine Moro community, here’s a few pointers: never offer a Moro pork, lard, or any pork food product. And he will be insulted if you offer him an alcoholic drink. Steer clear of their mosques (places of worship), and above all steer clear of Moro women. It is a grave crime for you to even touch the hand of a Moro woman! If you should happen to forget or forego these fatherly words of advice, you will possibly have to contend with another Moro institution called the “KRIS”. It is a wicked, razor-sharp knife, and the Moros have long made a specialty of handling these weapons in a fancy fashion. Don’t be surprised if he acts quite a bit differently from the Filipino you have seen so far.

---- PUERTO PRINCESA ----

Capital of the province and island of Palawan, population 10,723. Noted principally for the export of copra, rattan (fiber from the rattan-palm tree, used for basket-weaving and furniture), and lumber. There is a considerable Dutch influence in Palawan because of their substantial trading interests in the oil fields of nearby Borneo, and many Dutch tradesmen live in Puerto Princesa. With the exception of the coastal areas, the island is sparsely settled and inhabited in the interior for the most part by Moros.

In the past few weeks, you’ve seen more of the Philippine Islands than most Filipinos see in a lifetime. You can see that life in the cities of the pre-war Philippines was a peaceful and happy life, and that many great problems of reconstruction lie ahead. A hated and brutal enemy has been eliminated, and the popular “Americanos” have returned. By your deeds and words you can do much to restore the good life to the Philippines and preserve the fine impression the Filipinos have of our country.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Epicurius posted:

There was the Klang War in the 1860s-70s. Was kind of interesting. Weak sultan, rival Malay chiefs, disinherited guy trying to claim the Sultanate, Chinese secret societies, tin mining.

Thank you! That was cool to read about.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

This part is understandable at least.

Nice to see that disdain for majors is cross cultural

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

Did your armies bury their own after a battle, or are peasant mobs stripping and burying them?
they stripped the dead, but they do not bury them. except for the spanish, soldiers don't dig. it's beneath their dignity.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Their legionnaire ancestors scoff at these worthless effete fools

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Umm who did Wellington conquer :shobon:

I'm working with what I've got, like how the Caesar salad isn't named after Julius Caesar.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Fangz posted:

Sauerkraut is awesome
Not an emptyquote

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

speaking of military booze rations, the shooters at mass killings during the Holocaust would usually be extremely liquored up, both during and for a couple of days after the action. It got to the point where it was part of the planning for the bigger events - source up a bunch of booze and make sure the guys involved in the killing didn't have any work scheduled for the next few days.

Pretty sure Browning talks about it at length in Ordinary Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Today's installment jumps straight from #12 to #14, I have no idea where #13 went :iiam:
It goes from #12 to #14 because the number in between is unlucky and sailors are superstitious?