Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

lol I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

How far are you in the game? It's a pretty key thing in the 4.4 quest line.

It's been draining aether from the northern regions since the Allagan days, and was used as the power source to raise Azys Lla, among other things. Y'shtola and Hien use it and the equipment in the Burn to raise a magical wall to stop empirical air support from flying overhead.

I remember that I guess I just didn't know whether it was confirmed to be an Allagan creation or something older they used. I always felt like the construction doesn't really look like other examples of Allagan technology we have.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Antivehicular posted:

I think it's supposed to be Allagan, connected to whatever Allagan aether-sucking shenanigans (possibly to launch Dalamud?) created the Burn, but I only half-remember this.

I was gonna say the burn is from the uhh 4th calamity slash war of the magi but then I remembered all the allagan poo poo laying around

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think the Burn is also where the mountains that got carved into Azys Lla started from. I imagine they might power down the Wall and let life gradually return to the Burn. We do have a method for speeding up that process now...

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Actually The Burn was really aetherical blowback after y'shtola dropped The Burn

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

finally did tataru 6.4 and boy, that sure was a weird one, huh. the super short g-warrior sequence that feels like a testbed for new cutscene mechanics was fine, it was the decision to surprise gaius and allie with hologram versions of their dead loved ones and give us the resulting portrait that really caught me off guard, though i get what they were going for.

on the other hand, as the FFXIV equivalent of the kind of weird one-off gundam animated short that exists solely as an OVA or boxset special or one-hour tv movie or something, it was tonally perfect. random centurion faceswapped for valens who wants to do more imperialism is exactly the kind of weirdo zeon remnant or one-off rebel group you get in those things (also that's kind of full frontal ig), and even the ending (which i otherwise found weird) would totally fit for that kind of thing. also this lens takes the ending item from weird to funny for me because the idea of gifting a gundam protag a portrait of four orphans they murdered and then probably causing them to have some sort of spectacular breakdown is pretty solid

e: VVV this is another thing adding to the "random official gundam short" vibe.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 3, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's funny how Nero appears for five seconds just to be smug as hell (from space!?) and then immediately leaves and has zero bearing on everything else.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't think that was even new cutscene mechanics, it's the same thing we did to play the piano in a firmament quest.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It's funny how Nero appears for five seconds just to be smug as hell (from space!?) and then immediately leaves and has zero bearing on everything else.

Clearly a byproduct of the Loporrit radio project has been Nero now being able to monitor global broadcasts for people talking poo poo about him and/or opportunities for him to be smug.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I choose to believe Nero has things set up to inform him all opportunities to dunk on Cid at all times.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

bobtheconqueror posted:

I remember that I guess I just didn't know whether it was confirmed to be an Allagan creation or something older they used. I always felt like the construction doesn't really look like other examples of Allagan technology we have.

allag lasted for a thousand+ years, their aesthetics changed. dalamud doesn't look at all like the crystal tower, and early/high/late allagan gear sets all look very different

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

hopeandjoy posted:

I choose to believe Nero has things set up to inform him all opportunities to dunk on Cid at all times.

he has the echo but exclusively cid-based

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's a little prank Hydaelyn made just for herself.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

YggiDee posted:

I don't think that was even new cutscene mechanics, it's the same thing we did to play the piano in a firmament quest.

Which itself is a reuse of a mechanic from an old holiday quest.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

he's kibo

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I would absolutely believe Nero's left private spyware in every project he's touched with the Ironworks. He doesn't even have to be monitoring everything, maybe he got a ping when someone activated the G-Warrior and went to have a look.

Edit: Remember, he was running intelligence operations for the XIVth Legion before he defected, he has some background here.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The Tataru quest mostly gives me excuses to explain Char Clones to people, so I like it. And I think is the main reason Nero turns up; if we're doing something with Char Clones, we're bringing the one we've been growing for ten years.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

6.4 Spoilers: They should have let Jullus activate the Tower

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Nessus posted:

I think the Burn is also where the mountains that got carved into Azys Lla started from. I imagine they might power down the Wall and let life gradually return to the Burn. We do have a method for speeding up that process now...

Yeah, part of the comedy of The Burn is that Solus used it as an excuse: Look at what the Primals do to the land if barbarians are allowed to keep doing it for too long!

In reality, it was the result of one of HIS old pet projects recreating Elpis using Allag technology.

Dude really loved to use every part of the atrocity buffalo.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Azys Lla was likely raised during Xande's second reign, and probably had more to do with Amon (pre Fandaniel) than Emet-Selch. We otherwise don't know when and what Emet-Selch's contributions to Allag were.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Emet-Selch seemed so happy about all of the things he did in the past when he first showed up. I remember when he just showed up in Varis' throne room and was like "You think you guys are experts at war crimes? Let me tell you some stories about Allag..."

I have to imagine the word "ethics" didn't exist in that era, because boy howdy is every trip to an Allagan location some kind of hideous violation of rights, human or otherwise!

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Azys Lla was likely raised during Xande's second reign, and probably had more to do with Amon (pre Fandaniel) than Emet-Selch. We otherwise don't know when and what Emet-Selch's contributions to Allag were.

Emet-Selch certainly seemed to like claiming credit for and referencing Allag, and it's rise and stagnation all seem to be hallmarks of the poo poo he liked to pull.

EDIT: We can probably have him credited for ANY and all empires that experience sudden tech revolutions and radical expansions leading to profound decadence. That seems like a signature of his.

EDIT 2: I mean, poo poo, he probably did the same thing to Goug, and then exploited the fallout of THAT collapse ages later when they had developed a cultural persecution complex.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 3, 2023

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Emet-Selch did claim some influence in it, but the first Emperor died with a very stable, prosperous empire with a strong line of succession. Hundreds of years later it was pretty stagnant and decedent, true, but that's a long time after.

We really don't know when Emet-Selch was involved, just that he was.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 3, 2023

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
As far as we know though, reviving Xande was totally Amon's idea, free of Ascian influence?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

My understanding of how the Ascians worked is:

- Emet-Selch sets up a given nation to cause problems (Eulmore, Allag, Garlemald).
- Lahabrea stirs up any potential would-be conquerors (and also gifts knowledge of Primal summoning?).
- In the event either of the above got out of hand, Elidibus grabs some would-be heroes and uses them to get things back on track.

And then, after Lahabrea died, Elidibus had to start covering his duties as well, leading to him piloting Zenos extremely uncomfortably and unconvincingly.

DanielCross posted:

As far as we know though, reviving Xande was totally Amon's idea, free of Ascian influence?

As far as we know.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DanielCross posted:

Yeah. Amon wasn't uplifted as Fandaniel until very much near the end of the empire, when Xande is consorting with the Cloud of Darkness. Emet-Selch may have been an associate, prodding him along and giving him ideas, but we don't know.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
You know, this recent story arc makes me think.

When we consider that we had an Ultima summoned and then imprisoned in Ivalice, because nobody could KILL her rear end, just how BADLY did Lahabrea come close to loving absolutely everything up there?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if part of the reason Fandaniel hates Emet’s rear end is because Emet keeps taking credit for all the atrocities that were Fandaniel’s idea!!!

(Emet feels justified because he uplifted Amon in the first place.)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I figured Emet-Selch had contributed to the early eras - likely finding Omega and reverse engineering his tech, which turned the empire into a powerhouse. But that's just an assumption. And it parallels what happens with the Garlean empire.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 3, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

An empire could be tipped over/riled up any time the ascians wanted to cause whichever aspected calamity they needed, but meanwhile it could just hang out indefinitely while they arranged the collapse of the chosen shard. Very convenient really

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm reminded of Fullmetal Alchemist, Where ancient immortal beings create an expansionist military state so they can sacrifice everyone in it when the time is right.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Qwertycoatl posted:

I wonder when they decided to make Answers fit what they were doing for the ending

Honestly I bet it's the other way around. With Answers being uses as a starting point for the stories themes.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Given the fact every Umbral Calamity we have proper details for was ultimately induced by an evil empire (Allag for the Fourth, Garlemald for the Sixth, and I'd say Mhach for the Fifth cause while all nations had some fault Mhach was the one summonning voidsent) I'd say Emet absolutely propped them up, just ina subtler way with Garlemald being both an attempt at a more personal touch and to try and relate to the unsundered given the short story.

...now I'm imagining Emetbteaching the black arts to the Mhachi to prop them up, only for Lahabrea to bust in and go "WHO WANTS TO CONSORT WITH DEMONS!!!?" and Emet sighing and calling Elidibus, who helps prop Amdapor and Nym as a counterbalance to ensure they don't gently caress up again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I still love the idea that all three nations in the War of the Magi were being puppeted by different Ascians.

And then over there to the east is Nabriales building up Skalla, really angling for a dramatic final-act turnaround, only to get completely wiped out by the flood, leading him down his road of 'gently caress this, you all suck and I hate you'.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I always felt like Elidibus and his “balance” talk was a ruse. Powerful evil empires don’t drop their nukes for nothing, you need to have a convincing threat for them to drop those nukes on. Thus, Elidibus focused on heroes, to both empower himself with the dream of a savior, and also as the final step to goad the bad guys to use their calamity inducing nukes.

The talk of “balance” is then more an explainer of why this clearly evil wizard is helping you out.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Elidibus' romantic beliefs about heroes lead him to save a couple of them from the 13th, I wonder if he tried to save any of his favorites from the other shards they destroyed.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Elidibus’s primal dementia being what it is, I would not be surprised if the balance thing wasn’t entirely a ploy and he got a little lost in the hero sauce a few times.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Eh, we've seen that if the Ascians of a shard do too well a job or if the heroes beat the ascians too hard the balance of a shard can gently caress up and we get a Flood of X. I guess Elidibus role was to try and prevent that (but he failed spextacularly given it took Hydaleyn to prevent the First from becoming a new 13 and the WoL beating up his friends)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah, the "balance" he speaks of is about not tipping the aetheric scales too far too fast on either the Source or the Shard, since they need to time the home team's calamity and the away team's catastrophe to coincide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think there might be two elements of 'balance' to Elidibus' role, actually. There's the whole 'try not to let any shard get hosed up impossibly badly' part, but I think it's also basically about a balance of control. Remember that every single time he stopped his whole 'standing around being ominous' shtick and actually did something, he was manipulating heroes. First the Warriors of Darkness, then Zenos' corpse specifically as a hero of the Garlean people, and then manipulating a stupid amount of the First into becoming heroes so that he can use that overall heroic fervor and desire for a savior.

His job is to make the controlled opposition. It's way easier to orchestrate a specific end to a game when you're controlling both sides of the board.