Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Why are the CEOs of corporations paid such exorbitant salaries? I don't think it's just because they have extremely rare and precious talents. After all, kings and warlords make more money than the common folk, but it has nothing to do with the valuable services they provide to the populace. I think something more is at play here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

SlayVus posted:

This might be better suited for goon doctor, but I'll ask here first.

What can I do about foot pains? I stand for 7:30 a day as an overnight stocker at walmart. My current foot wear are a pair of tredsafes I bought when I started almost two months ago now. Every morning when I wake up and stand my feet and ankles are in really bad pain. I haven't been experiencing this for no longer than 2 1/2 weeks. The pain on my foot is right where my arch end on the front pads of my foot.

Look up "plantar fasciitis"---there are lots of stretches to do that can help. Arch braces/sleeves might also be a good idea.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Why are the CEOs of corporations paid such exorbitant salaries? I don't think it's just because they have extremely rare and precious talents. After all, kings and warlords make more money than the common folk, but it has nothing to do with the valuable services they provide to the populace. I think something more is at play here.

It's a very complicated question with lots of factors, but I've found this article helpful.

http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2006/12/is_ceo_pay_too_.html

quote:

The thrust of their argument is that CEOs hold managerial power—simply put, leverage—over the boards that set their compensation. The leverage starts at the board nomination process—typically controlled by the CEO—and is reinforced by the information advantage the CEO has over the board in terms of the company's performance and his or her role in it. It persists because board members are generally reluctant to rock the boat and are somewhat toothless to do much given their limited time commitments as directors.
As a result, company boards cannot negotiate CEO pay at arm's length, a critical factor in aligning a CEO's interest with that of shareholders. What happens in its place is a pseudo-negotiation in which the CEO holds most of the cards. ... By playing their hand well, CEOs can extract pay that exceeds fair market value (what economists call “rent”).
In some cases, the design of the compensation process makes matters worse. Boards tend to benchmark pay in terms of what the competition offers. When this happens, boards inevitably approve above-average pay packages because they don't want to send the message that their CEO is average, or worse. Call it the Lake Wobegon mentality, because all CEOs become above average. That's where Bebchuk and others scream foul, because no such arrangement would come from an arm's-length negotiation.

For example, economic theory would suggest that the passage of Sarbanes-Oxley has helped raise CEO pay, if only to a small degree. The law—mostly derided by Corporate America—makes CEOs liable for erroneous financial statements, which represents a risk factor that would logically lead to higher insurance-based payments for any prospective CEO.
Supply and demand idiosyncrasies also influence CEO pay. For example, there is a growing trend toward hiring CEOs from outside the firm, rather than the more traditional method of promoting from within. In a 2004 paper, Kevin J. Murphy and Ján Zábojník, both from USC, find that outside hires accounted for 15 percent of CEO replacements in the 1970s; by the 1990s, it was 26 percent. Anecdotal evidence suggests it is higher still today and that firms tend to pay more to attract CEOs from outside the firm.
Rakesh Khurana at Harvard has expressed this as the “Super CEO” syndrome—the desire for a charismatic CEO savior. Such a standard artificially narrows the candidate field to existing CEOs or recently retired ones, eliminating many otherwise-qualified candidates.
At the same time, CEO turnover has been accelerating—evidence, some argue, of greater board independence and stricter pay-for-performance demands by these boards. ...
With CEOs having shorter expected tenure, more demands for performance, greater demand for their services and higher personal liability for a firm's financial statements, economic theory suggests that reservation wages—the level at which a person chooses work over leisure—for CEOs should also be going up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SlayVus posted:

What can I do about foot pains?

See a podiatrist?

Unrelated question: You know those knobbly sticks you see them dipping in honey in commercials? These things:

What the hell are they for?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tiggum posted:

See a podiatrist?

Unrelated question: You know those knobbly sticks you see them dipping in honey in commercials? These things:

That's a honey dipper. You use them to get honey out of a jar and then spread it on stuff. Though they're quite old fashioned.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Tiggum posted:

They have those at a local vegetarian/hippie restaurant. If you keep rotating them when you pull them out of the honey, the honey sticks inside the little grooves in the knob. If you stop spinning them, the honey drips out. It provides a surprising amount of control over how much honey you want in your tea or on your crumpet or whatever.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SlayVus posted:

This might be better suited for goon doctor, but I'll ask here first.

What can I do about foot pains? I stand for 7:30 a day as an overnight stocker at walmart. My current foot wear are a pair of tredsafes I bought when I started almost two months ago now. Every morning when I wake up and stand my feet and ankles are in really bad pain. I haven't been experiencing this for no longer than 2 1/2 weeks. The pain on my foot is right where my arch end on the front pads of my foot.

When I had this issue, I got some insoles. Specifically, I went to one of those gimmicky Dr. Scholl tester things where it supposedly analyzes your feet using advanced space-age technology. It's $50 for that though. There's a money back guarantee so if it doesn't work you can just return them I guess?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
A tree branch cut the top of my head and a huge thorn went into my scalp, it bled all over my face but do I need to perform any kind of medical care on it, like sterilising the area with something?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Any wound you should clean and make sure it isn't too bad. Head wounds bleed a lot even when they're minor, but it's probably a good idea to clean it up and see how bad it is. If it's bad enough you may want stitches.

Depending on how deep the thorn penetrated, it may have pushed some dirt or left some plant matter under your skin, which could be a potential vector for infection, or at the least irritation, like a splinter on your head..

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Probably have better luck here

Im sure it's some mainstream band but at any rate I saw a music video and liked the tune.

The music video is the band performing (well mostly the dude singing) at some sort of event and a guy and girl
, who's there with another dude, are flirting and in the end of the music video they run off into the city and are hit by a truck. Not a lot of details but the last bit should give it away.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
When using Google to check the weather, why is the current temperature sometimes wildly outside of the temperature range for the day? For example, this morning shows a high of 0 and a low of -3, but a current temperature of -12.

When the current temperature is that far outside of the projected range, why isn't the range adjusted accordingly?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

When I had this issue, I got some insoles. Specifically, I went to one of those gimmicky Dr. Scholl tester things where it supposedly analyzes your feet using advanced space-age technology. It's $50 for that though. There's a money back guarantee so if it doesn't work you can just return them I guess?

That is exactly what I did not even 40 minutes ago. Sadly, I had to drive 1:30 round trip to get to one of their machines. Hopefully the insoles help.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

miryei posted:

When using Google to check the weather, why is the current temperature sometimes wildly outside of the temperature range for the day? For example, this morning shows a high of 0 and a low of -3, but a current temperature of -12.

When the current temperature is that far outside of the projected range, why isn't the range adjusted accordingly?

The range you see comes from the weather forecast, not observed data.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Reposting because someone here has got to have watched the X-Files:

Hummingbirds posted:

Are seasons 8 and 9 of the X-Files even worth watching? I'm afraid they might ruin the first 7 for me.

e: Especially since I already know the real-world reasons why Mulder becomes a minor character

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hummingbirds posted:

Reposting because someone here has got to have watched the X-Files:

They won't ruin it, they're just not as good. It really depends on how much of a draw the monster of the week and conspiracy hooks are for you vs. the Mulder / Scully dynamic.

Heck, they're nowhere near as bad as, say, James and Nadine's storylines in S2 of Twin Peaks, and they didn't ruin the show for me (though admittedly I skip over their plot lines during rewatches).

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

They won't ruin it, they're just not as good. It really depends on how much of a draw the monster of the week and conspiracy hooks are for you vs. the Mulder / Scully dynamic.

Heck, they're nowhere near as bad as, say, James and Nadine's storylines in S2 of Twin Peaks, and they didn't ruin the show for me (though admittedly I skip over their plot lines during rewatches).

Thanks, this is helpful, I guess if I can handle the extraneous s2 Twin Peaks material I should press on

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I'm from Indonesia and in here Blackberry phones are super popular, to the extent that my gadget savvy brother was shocked that when I'm living in Australia nobody I know uses Blackberry. The general impression I get from skimming Inspect Your Gadget is that Blackberry isn't very popular? Why is this? Is it just because Apple and Android are marketed more heavily or is it because BlackBerry suck as phones? Some other factors?

Before BlackBerry I've used N-Gages, so I have no taste regarding phones.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
It's not a marketing thing, Blackberries just didn't evolve, they were great in the early to mid 2000s. They don't do anything new that androids and iphones do.

We use them at work, I'm the computer guy and have to take care of the phones too and do love supporting them vs. the random mix of winmo phones we used to use.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've seen some barbers rap hot wet towels around the faces of their customers. Why do they do this?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Baron Bifford posted:

I've seen some barbers rap hot wet towels around the faces of their customers. Why do they do this?

If it's before a shave, I believe it's supposed to relax and open your pores for a closer shave. Otherwise, it might just be because it feels nice.

VVVVVV Well, on one, literal, unsatisfying level, it means exactly what it says. The Game of Thrones world has irregular seasons, so their summers can be "years" long, as well as their winters. On a symbolic level, it means "don't get comfortable, because hardship is always in the future."

It's the family motto of one of the main families in the fiction, because they live in the northern regions that are hit hardest by winter, so it makes sense that they'd especially need to keep in mind the impending change of seasons.

KnifeWrench fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 23, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've never watched Game of Thrones and I don't know the signifcance of the "winter is coming¨ catchphrase. What does it mean?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

toanoradian posted:

I'm from Indonesia and in here Blackberry phones are super popular, to the extent that my gadget savvy brother was shocked that when I'm living in Australia nobody I know uses Blackberry. The general impression I get from skimming Inspect Your Gadget is that Blackberry isn't very popular? Why is this? Is it just because Apple and Android are marketed more heavily or is it because BlackBerry suck as phones? Some other factors?

The main reason Blackberries are still popular in Indonesia, and in other countries like it, is that even though they have much restricted functionality compared to other phones, they are at least cheap. However, in America, Australia, and other more wealthy developed countries, the phone carriers have made it so that you can get the better phones that would ordinarily cost much more for the same prices as Blackberries. And that leaves them with no advantage at all.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

I've never watched Game of Thrones and I don't know the signifcance of the "winter is coming¨ catchphrase. What does it mean?

From what I understand, seasons last years and years (decades, maybe? I dunno) so winter is kind of a big deal and a terrible time, especially because there's this huge (mountain range scale) wall in the north keeping out all sorts of winter baddies (zombies and the likes, I guess) which will come south.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Taeke posted:

From what I understand, seasons last years and years (decades, maybe? I dunno) so winter is kind of a big deal and a terrible time, especially because there's this huge (mountain range scale) wall in the north keeping out all sorts of winter baddies (zombies and the likes, I guess) which will come south.

Also, at the time it's taking place, it's been a very long, multi-year summer (which folk wisdom says portents a long winter). A lot of people have started to take summer for granted, and have stopped giving a poo poo about preparing for it, and have stopped giving a poo poo about their guardians in the north who are supposed to be protecting them from zombies and the like when winter comes.

Also it's the catchphrase of the ruling family of the northern territory, so they're all practical and poo poo and they're like "we are so ready for winter when it comes :smug:"

Light, vague spoiler below
Also, metaphorically, a lot of bad poo poo happens to the family whose catchphrase that is, so there's that.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

The beard hairs absorb the water, and stand up a bit more because the cells fill with water, which leads to a closer and less irritating shave. Also feels nice.

Baron Bifford posted:

They are the words (motto) of House Stark, one of the most popular houses that feature heavily in the books. The world has unpredictable seasons that last for years, and being from the far North, House Stark has to be relatively spartan and always working to survive the potentially decades-long colds. It also is the general vector of the story, where things across the books get pretty much darker and more tragic for everyone as the story progresses, so "Winter is Coming" is sometimes seen as the unofficial motto of the series. Also most of the other houses' words are pretty forgettable, with the exception of "We Do Not Sow" for the more minor pirate-house Greyjoy, which probably contributes to Winter is Coming being commonly use among fans to evoke/reference the series as a whole.

And watch Game of Thrones, that show is incredible!

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 23, 2013

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

toanoradian posted:

The failure of BlackBerry does actually have something to do with marketing, but not in the "everyone shat on BlackBerry" kind of way.

So, when BlackBerry's first devices came out, they were highly secure email devices that integrated very well with Exchange servers using their proprietary software (BlackBerry Enterprise Server, or BES). So, most of the initial owners used them for business purposes. As they developed into phones, they continued to focus on that market, and built some very secure business phones. They were pretty much the only big phone OS manufacturer paying more than nominal attention to security, and BES made integration very easy.

Then, BlackBerry started to make lovely phones. Their answer to the touchscreen was the BlackBerry Storm, which wasn't an actual screen, but basically a keyboard behind the screen (so you had to press down on the screen and have it click in order to register a touch). Further, the BES software stopped working as well, and iPhone and Android started to blow up. Since iPhone and Android were less niche, they had way more apps, and app developers weren't really interested in BlackBerry as a platform. Between the lack of apps and the lovely phones, people started moving away from BlackBerry into Android and iOS. Also, from a business perspective (BlackBerry's main market), iPhones and Androids were much easier to support (if less secure); setting up a Blackberry took probably half an hour, setting up an Android or iPhone takes about five minutes, if that.

By the time BlackBerry fixed their lovely phone problem, most of their user base had jumped ship, and were now living in a walled garden of some variety (i.e. they have a bunch of iOS, Android, or WinMo apps that they lose if they switch back to BlackBerry). It put BlackBerry in a very lovely position, that they are unlikely to ever come back from.

If you've ever used a Storm or Storm 2, though, you know they totally loving deserved it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I know nothing about plants or how to keep them alive. I bought a Rosemary plant, and it came in a plastic pot. I own a terracotta-looking pot. Should I take the dirt & plant out of the plastic pot and put it in the other, nicer-looking pot? Or is the terracotta pot intended to hold a smaller plastic pot?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Gravity Pike posted:

I know nothing about plants or how to keep them alive. I bought a Rosemary plant, and it came in a plastic pot. I own a terracotta-looking pot. Should I take the dirt & plant out of the plastic pot and put it in the other, nicer-looking pot? Or is the terracotta pot intended to hold a smaller plastic pot?

Definitely put it in the terracotta; rosemary will die if it has wet roots and plastic tends to hold water longer. I'm on my phone so I can't link but we have several plant threads, there's one in DIY . The OP will have some good pointers on how to keep your plant alive.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So uh, my richass cousin gave me some macaroons. According to him there is literal gold in them?! I mean there does seem to be shiny metallic stuff on them but why would there be precious metals in my food? Is he just messing with me?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

regulargonzalez posted:

You'll never watch 90% of that stuff ever again.
what can I say, I really love family videos!

quote:

And there's no reason not to encode it to a more reasonable size so you're not filling up 4 TBs worth of space on the regular. Get Handbrake, use constant quality = 13 (which is way more quality than you'll need, you could easily get away with quality 14 or 15 and probably never notice the difference) and you'll cut the size by 50%+ and never notice any quality difference. I'm guessing you're using the highest quality on the gopro (35 or 45 Mb/s depending on model) -- it's a tremendous waste of space.
This is so helpful! Thank you so much for recommending this program, I didn't have any idea it could condense so much! It's like twenty times smaller now. Thank you!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Xun posted:

So uh, my richass cousin gave me some macaroons. According to him there is literal gold in them?! I mean there does seem to be shiny metallic stuff on them but why would there be precious metals in my food? Is he just messing with me?
He's trying to kill you with heavy metals. Give him a slice of pumpkin pie with tiny shards of lead mixed in.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Xun posted:

He's not messing with you it's a real thing. It's usually called gold leaf.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Tiggum posted:

I assume this restriction is on some specific type of debit card, because mine works anywhere a credit card works. As far as the shop can tell, it is a credit card. There's no way they could prevent debit cards being used.

The Issuer Identification Number will disclose the issuing bank and the type of card (credit/debit/prepaid). I don't know if it violates any regulations, but in theory a processor could block IINs associated with debit cards.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Xun posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a richass showoff type food, kind of like Goldschlager.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Gravity Pike posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a richass showoff type food, kind of like Goldschlager.

Goldschlager has like $0.75 worth of gold in it, and it's not an expensive liquor. Is it really a "richass showoff" beverage?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Considering I once bought a bottle of Goldschlager when I was in college, it is not legally allowed to be called a "richass showoff" beverage.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Putting gold in or on food or drink is showoffy. But sometimes it's cheapass showoffiness.

It's dumb no matter what, though the glitter poop is entertaining.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Does gbs.fm still exist? I can't seem to login.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Loopyface posted:

Goldschlager has like $0.75 worth of gold in it, and it's not an expensive liquor. Is it really a "richass showoff" beverage?

The "richass" was tongue-in-cheek, but I think the point stands. I mean, you didn't buy it for the flavor, did you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

AlbieQuirky posted:

It's dumb no matter what, though the glitter poop is entertaining.

Is this really a thing? I need glitter poop.