Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
If you're running low on effigies then ascetic the first bonfire in the Forest of Fallen Giants, then run towards Majula and in the chest in the water there should be like 5 effigies. You can also use this opportunity to try and farm Heide Knight armor from Sir Undertree.

If you're running low on bonfire ascetics then invade people trying to get to Darklurker as an abyss spirit :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Alternatively, if you're really bad, you could just cheat engine in effigies.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why didn't I know sooner that stabby weapons are so darn good?!

I'm using a +10 Espada Ropera right now (switched over from a +10 Rapier for the tiny bit of extra damage), combined with the Leo Ring and I literally one-shot most enemies in the game. I didn't even do that with a +10 Great Club :psyduck:

I've also gone through the entire game with only 5 deaths, none of which were to bosses (gravity remains the true :darksouls:)

e: oh, and Flynn's. Using that since I only have 10 vit, using light armor and no shield.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I'm using a +10 Espada Ropera right now (switched over from a +10 Rapier for the tiny bit of extra damage), combined with the Leo Ring and I literally one-shot most enemies in the game. I didn't even do that with a +10 Great Club :psyduck:

I've also gone through the entire game with only 5 deaths, none of which were to bosses (gravity remains the true :darksouls:)

e: oh, and Flynn's. Using that since I only have 10 vit, using light armor and no shield.

Get ring of Blades+2. 450 damage rapiers with 150 counter bonus and Leo Ring? Yes please.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What happens if you've got the Leo Ring plus the ROB +2 while powerstancing estocs/rapiers?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Let me bounce a build off you guys I've been working on, and I need some help with it. I'm trying to get into all the spell pools for general trickery and less conventional stuff while still being viable.

ATN/DEX/INT/FTH is 25/40/18/42 right now, and I generally slot in Denial, Sunlight Sword or the lightning aoe, and chameleon, with the sanctum shield as a cat/chime, or if chameleon is no good for the area (bellfry sol), pure miracles with a regular chime.

I'm working on getting hidden weapon right now, though I'm not sure how much utility it'll really have. Either Lightning Heides or Pates in my main hand with blackbow, and the puzzling sword and chime in my offhand and so far it's been working pretty drat well.

For rings I've yet to take off the clothanary and leo, just too good, and flynns/lightning clutch/misc.

My general questions are, how might this build be improved? I've not ever run a sorc or hexer so I don't really know what might mesh well from those pools with the right stats tweaked, and I've never tried specing for dark damage so I don't know what might be possible if I switch around the INT-FTH balance, change my infusions and spice a few spells here and there.

I dunno', ideas?

Also I totally cleared out the sanctum knights and not one set of silent pants. I'm a little worried about asceticing there :ohdear:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Your Computer posted:

Flynn's probably buffed rapiers the most of any weapon class because of the fact you get such a big damage multiplier from counter hits with the leo ring. It does use up most of your rings though.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

How in the hell do you manage to butcher the spelling that badly? :eng99:

I might be able to answer some of your questions on the spell side:

I generally find denial to not be worth it. There are a lot of weapons, spells and effects that completely negate it, and the three-slot investment for one copy is huge. Consider adding Great Heal Excerpt, and cast it after Heavenly Thunder - they share the same animation, so it can potentially let you get a free heal off and reset their pressure; just watch out for Soul Spears and the like.

I've also gotten work out of plain Force, catching your opponent with it can let you get a free stab or two in. Spears are a great choice for such. I haven't done it since the big patch that changed stunlocks, so I don't know if the second swing is still doable.

If your int were higher I'd recommend a variety of homing soul arrow. Not many people know how to dodge it, and it enables tricky frametraps and spell combos. Also worth considering is the recently-buffed Shockwave sorcery. Hard to land it, but if you transition from that into a heavenly thunder, you've instantly regained complete control over the tempo of the fight and can punish the rolls they take to avoid the heavenly bolts. I don't remember the INT requirement for Shockwave offhand and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Hidden weapon is a fine spell. Inviso-rings completely outclass it, but naturally require a whole ring slot. A lot of the trickier inviso-ring setups aren't possible with hidden weapon, unfortunately, so most don't bother to use it. If you have nothing else to buff your weapon with, go for it. If they don't see you buff up with hidden weapon, you can theoretically lull someone into a false sense of security by only using your other hand for a while - but since everybody knows about the inviso-ring, it might not surprise anyone.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

There are like 100+ effigies available (including ones you buy) per playthrough, you can also shade to regain humanity. Unless you're spectacularly awful I don't see how you can ever run out.

The Darklurker was mentioned, but you can be in real danger of running out early on in the game. But you are correct you can build a glut of them if you do coop and thus don't need to use any to be human most of the time. DS2 overall is a harder game than DS1, but I attribute that mostly to the fact that DS2 rewards slower more thought out strategy rather than being able poise or abuse the hell out of invincibility frames.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do I find it weird that outside of the Darklurkers, the Havel guys and generally enemies with basically infinite poise the hardest enemies?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tae posted:

Do I find it weird that outside of the Darklurkers, the Havel guys and generally enemies with basically infinite poise the hardest enemies?

Dunno, do you? :v: Wait for Havel guy to attack, walk around and backstab him. Repeat until victory.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dunno, do you? :v: Wait for Havel guy to attack, walk around and backstab him. Repeat until victory.

How do you have time to walk around? The guy's on turbo speed and wrecks my stamina even with a greatshield.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Batigh posted:

How in the hell do you manage to butcher the spelling that badly? :eng99:
Thats how it sounds in my head, was too lazy to look it up! :v:

Batigh posted:

I might be able to answer some of your questions on the spell side:

Thanks for this! I know denial is a big slot investment, but drat if it isn't a fine turn around on a lot of duels I've had already. Hard to give up until people start expecting/recognizing it. That said I love the storm/heal combo idea, gonna try that out, and see about shockwave (only 13 int!). Might even put force back in the mix.

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that spicing spells lowers their effectiveness? Is that true?

Oh other misc questions to whomever: is the helix halberd any good? It looks awesome and I like the gimmick, but it seems like it would be really tricky to land. Goes great with the puzzle sword for exotic and complicated weapons though.

Also is the +2... chloranthy (wow I've never actually stopped and read the name of this ring closely) worth grabbing over the +1?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Spicing spells doesn't directly lower effectiveness. Most spells, including buffs, have some scaling with their casting stats now, which means that if you spice a spell down so that you can cast it with a lower int/faith, then your spell isn't as powerful as it would be if you had higher int/faith. If you later raise your int/faith up, the spell increases in power as normal.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You could try rolling behind them, he's got a bit of a windup. I've never used a greatshield but if he ruins your stamina when you block him that may be part of your problem. That's how I've dealt with Havel since his first appearance in DkS1. I've never tried but maybe you could try parrying him if you can't find a way to his back.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

The Protagonist posted:

Thats how it sounds in my head, was too lazy to look it up! :v:

Thanks for this! I know denial is a big slot investment, but drat if it isn't a fine turn around on a lot of duels I've had already. Hard to give up until people start expecting/recognizing it. That said I love the storm/heal combo idea, gonna try that out, and see about shockwave (only 13 int!). Might even put force back in the mix.

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that spicing spells lowers their effectiveness? Is that true?

Oh other misc questions to whomever: is the helix halberd any good? It looks awesome and I like the gimmick, but it seems like it would be really tricky to land. Goes great with the puzzle sword for exotic and complicated weapons though.

Also is the +2... chloranthy (wow I've never actually stopped and read the name of this ring closely) worth grabbing over the +1?

Same ring, more effective. I don't see why it wouldn't be. Also, the boss is relatively easy.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I do hates me some gargoyles.

Anyway, denial anecdote: one of the very first times it popped was also the first time I'd ever been parried/crit, which emptied my healthbar completely of course, at which point I hopped back up and murdered my smug assailant.

This kind of sold me on the whole thing.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tae posted:

Greatbows will stagger literally almost every mob in the game, especially if you are using destructive great arrows. Having a greatbow with you if your using a STR build can make parts of the game a way less of a pain in the rear end, as well as allow you to break peoples equipment while knocking them off a cliff.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You could try rolling behind them, he's got a bit of a windup. I've never used a greatshield but if he ruins your stamina when you block him that may be part of your problem. That's how I've dealt with Havel since his first appearance in DkS1. I've never tried but maybe you could try parrying him if you can't find a way to his back.

I beat the duel pursers on NG+ by parrying them :v:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Done with the Sunken Crown - that was awesome. Really looking forwards to the next parts. I'm guessing that each crown will be guarded by a queen + secondary boss combo.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Scrree posted:

If you're running low on effigies then ascetic the first bonfire in the Forest of Fallen Giants, then run towards Majula and in the chest in the water there should be like 5 effigies. You can also use this opportunity to try and farm Heide Knight armor from Sir Undertree.

If you're running low on bonfire ascetics then invade people trying to get to Darklurker as an abyss spirit :getin:

I can't bring myself to attack the Heide Knights :(

Flavour text says they're sleeping or something, I thought they were hollows that just gave up trying to get wherever they were trying to get, what with all those arrows sticking out of them.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Theres no real point to attacking Heide knights unless you want their stuff. All of their stuff seems to be garbage so it's not missing much to skip them.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Iretep posted:

Theres no real point to attacking Heide knights unless you want their stuff. All of their stuff seems to be garbage so it's not missing much to skip them.

Heide weaponry is top-quality stuff for any Faith builds, and their armor looks pretty sweet and isn't even that bad defense-wise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Isn't the lightning sword one of the best early game weapons?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Tae posted:

Isn't the lightning sword one of the best early game weapons?

It's the best stuff you can get 5 minutes into the game. 15 minutes in you can get something much much better. This isn't even counting stuff you can buy or the stuff you start out with.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've only started playing DaS1 (which I did a complete run through) and I'm now almost finished DaS2 and I've done a lot, LOT more PvP in DaS2. It might be that I came into DaS1 when anyone left playing it is pretty experienced with the game, but I tried to PvP about 10 times there and I lost every single time, to the extent that when I started playing DaS2 and didn't know about Soul Mastery, I was really apprehensive about getting into any sort of PvP. Then I actually tried to PvP and I had a lot more success than I ever had in DaS1.

One question that I have which I didn't get answered in the console thread: what's the ending condition for Belfry Sol? I assume that as soon as you manage to beat the non-respawnable phantoms, you've technically finished it? If that's the case, is it impossible to summon white sign phantoms into Belfry Sol at high SM, since everyone will have pretty much completed it by then?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How does stuff such as Flynn's Ring and the Ring of Blades work with magically enchanted weapons anyhow? Does it split the damage, or is it a straight buff?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Heide weaponry is top-quality stuff for any Faith builds, and their armor looks pretty sweet and isn't even that bad defense-wise.

For real. I swear by the Heide Straight Sword in PVP, the strong attack's fast wide swing into a really strong poke is insane for catching people.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
poo poo, for all the talk about how bad lightning damage does in the DLC my Heide spear has been tearing through enemies.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Flytrap posted:

poo poo, for all the talk about how bad lightning damage does in the DLC my Heide spear has been tearing through enemies.

Infused weapons are pretty much always superior unless you're dealing with enemies with very high resistances.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Iretep posted:

Heide lance and greatlance are really good

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

poptart_fairy posted:

How does stuff such as Flynn's Ring and the Ring of Blades work with magically enchanted weapons anyhow? Does it split the damage, or is it a straight buff?

They both increase physical damage only by a flat amount.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cool, switching back to a regular build after I get these last few Bellbro kills so that's handy to know!

Creighton's gear taunts me though. I want to use the chest piece to show my character as from Mirrah (supposedly...), but the only gloves which cover her hands are Creighton's glove and I don't like using two bits of armour from the same set. :byodood:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Cool, switching back to a regular build after I get these last few Bellbro kills so that's handy to know!

Creighton's gear taunts me though. I want to use the chest piece to show my character as from Mirrah (supposedly...), but the only gloves which cover her hands are Creighton's glove and I don't like using two bits of armour from the same set. :byodood:

Maybe look at Benhart's chest? It has the same crest as Creighton's and actually sounds more authentic from the description. His shield has the same crest too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times, but are any of the graphics/lighting mods safe to use now? I haven't kept up since like April or something, but now I want to play the DLC and I remember when those mods were released there was talk of VAC banning and the like.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

poptart_fairy posted:

Ring of Blades you get a percentage. If you've got a normal weapon (all physical uninfused) and infuse it I think the bonus is +35 to physical damage for a RoB+2. Less if you've got something with already split damage and infuse it. Pretty sure Flynn's works the same way but I could be wrong.

Tekopo posted:

I've only started playing DaS1 (which I did a complete run through) and I'm now almost finished DaS2 and I've done a lot, LOT more PvP in DaS2. It might be that I came into DaS1 when anyone left playing it is pretty experienced with the game, but I tried to PvP about 10 times there and I lost every single time, to the extent that when I started playing DaS2 and didn't know about Soul Mastery, I was really apprehensive about getting into any sort of PvP. Then I actually tried to PvP and I had a lot more success than I ever had in DaS1.

DS1's PvP has a way higher skill ceiling because of a lot of reasons and there's a higher barrier to entry too because you need to get how backstabs work before you can do anything. So it's harder to get into and start winning right away.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Iretep posted:

well they drop the best looking armor set in the entire loving game

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

DS1's PvP has a way higher skill ceiling because of a lot of reasons and there's a higher barrier to entry too because you need to get how backstabs work before you can do anything. So it's harder to get into and start winning right away.
Yeah that's what I experienced, every time I attempted to PvP I just got backstabbed for all my health and that was that in DaS1. I don't think requiring skill to do well is a bad thing but it was kind of off-putting for me at least.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Batigh posted:

Paging EC

Thanks! I'm so glad people take the time to friend request people just to talk poo poo, it makes the blog way more interesting than it would be otherwise (a constant stream of 360 pics).

I think the Soul Memory is a Bad Thing that should have been way more thought out. I like Alabaster's idea of a straight up level cap, I think that would solve a lot of the issues. Or, as I've said since the beginning, implement SM up to SL40ish to protect the poor innocent children just starting the game, then switch to the SL system that was fairly straightforward.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Level capping would be the dumbest thing that would make almost nobody happy but the pvp community from DkS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

argondamn posted:

Level capping would be the dumbest thing that would make almost nobody happy but the pvp community from DkS1.

So everyone but the scrubs, newbs, and other such people who should get gud, gotcha.

SL capping would promote creative builds (since you can't just max everything) as well as increase the use of soul vessels because people would want to try different stuff out.