Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Major Isoor posted:

So, how's Starpoint Gemini 2? Is it like Freelancer, or the X series? Or is it like those more RTS-ish space games that are on Steam? (Sorry, can't think of their names at the moment, but well, more of a 'top-down + control multiple ships primarily via mouse' sort of thing, I mean) Since I certainly wouldn't mind a good Freelancer-/X-like space sim at the moment, although if it's not like either of those, I might pass.

So yeah, thanks for any information that you guys can provide!

I was curious about SG2 as well, but two people over in the sale thread said it's not really worth it. Sort of a single player MMO, with all the grinding and boring quests inherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Maybe some day I'll play more of the Waste Land, but I find it very hard to get past the fact that there is a pallet swap of Julius Belmont not even five minutes into the game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I was curious about SG2 as well, but two people over in the sale thread said it's not really worth it. Sort of a single player MMO, with all the grinding and boring quests inherent.

drat, there's too few good space sims out there. :( Looks like I'll be giving it a miss, then! Thanks for saving me some money.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I'm on the fence about The Long Dark even though I'm in love with its appearance and its solitude, but I just played a good 12 hours of Eidolon. How huge are the regions in The Long Dark, and how does it compare to Eidolon overall? I expect that TLD is much more mechanically rich as a survival game by far, but much thinner on backstory.
Thanks in advance. It looks great, but I felt like it might be too similar to jump into right now, plus it's early access.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

bowmore posted:

Best Co-Op Games?

As a fan of co-op games. This is pretty much my favorite distilled list on Steam. Some are local that I've played with my girlfriend, some are online co-op that I've played with friends. So just keep an eye out or clarify what you mean and what type you want.

Rayman Legends - Best co-op platformer ever, and super gorgeous
Orcs Must Die 2 - already mentioned
Castle Crashers
BattleBlock Theatre
Monaco
Don't Starve Together
Portal 2
Guacamelee
Trine 2
Spelunky* (may damage friendships/relations)
LEGO - Batman 3/Marvel Heroes/Hobbit/LoTR/Movie - Take your pick.
Sonic All-Stars Racing (Not quite co-op but great)
7 Days to Die
Terraria
e: Borderlands 2
e: System Shock 2 (Dated but owns)
e: Anno 1404

Awesome but I haven't tried the co-op features in them:
Broforce
Risk of Rain
e: Van Helsing 1 / 2
e: Hero Siege

And then there's a few on my queue list such as:
Gauntlet
Towerfall Ascension.

Also if you're playing local co-op, buy a Wii-U. Really cheap for $200 for a whole system+Nintendoland. Hands down loving fantastic and easily the best co-op system in alooong time. It makes you feel like a giddy kid playing with your SO/friend till 3am playing Donkey Kong and such.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 28, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

As a fan of co-op games. This is pretty much the best distilled list on Steam. Some are local that I've played with my girlfriend, some are online co-op that I've played with friends. So just keep an eye out or clarify what you mean and what type you want.

Castle Crashers
BattleBlock Theatre
Monaco
Don't Starve Together
Portal 2
Guacamelee
Trine 2
7 Days to Die
Terraria

Awesome but I havent tried the co-op in them:
Broforce
Risk of Rain

Gauntlet
Towerfall Ascension.

Also if you're playing local co-op, buy a Wii-U. Really cheap for $200 for a whole system+Nintendoland. Hands down loving fantastic and easily the best co-op system in alooong time. It makes you feel like a giddy kid playing with your SO/friend till 3am playing Donkey Kong and such.
Thanks man this list is awesome

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
No Saints Row 3 or 4 on that list.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Givin posted:

No Saints Row 3 or 4 on that list.

I actually never played them :blush: I did forget to mention BL2 and System Shock 2.

Also of course Payday 2 & L4D2 but that's really more of a "full-house" 4P co-op experience. And then there's some ARPGs on Steam like Path of Exile, Van Helsing, Grim Dawn, Titan's Quest that are all good co-op times.

Basically what I'm saying is, narrow your criteria :) Local or Online? Campaign co-op? 2P Co-op? Platformers, Shooters, anything?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 28, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Xaris posted:

I actually never played them :blush: I did forget to mention BL2 and System Shock 2.

Also of course Payday 2 & L4D2 but that's really more of a "full-house" 4P co-op experience.

L4D2 is pretty good with just 2 people as well. Obviously 4 is ideal, but 2 is great.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Erata posted:

I'm on the fence about The Long Dark even though I'm in love with its appearance and its solitude, but I just played a good 12 hours of Eidolon. How huge are the regions in The Long Dark, and how does it compare to Eidolon overall? I expect that TLD is much more mechanically rich as a survival game by far, but much thinner on backstory.
Thanks in advance. It looks great, but I felt like it might be too similar to jump into right now, plus it's early access.

Right now, The Long Dark is *only* survival mechanics. The story mode will come later (only in the full release I seem to recall, might be remembering wrong though). The areas are fairly big but it's not nearly the same size as Eidolon.
While Eidolon gives you plenty of room and time to admire the world, The Long Dark is much more hardcore (though I hear they included difficulty levels in the latest patch) and deadly. It's not really a "walking simulator" though it's certainly beautiful to look at. The game makes you be really active so it's not really a relaxing experience the same way Eidolon is.

I prefer The Long Dark by far myself but different strokes.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Leinadi posted:

Right now, The Long Dark is *only* survival mechanics. The story mode will come later (only in the full release I seem to recall, might be remembering wrong though). The areas are fairly big but it's not nearly the same size as Eidolon.
While Eidolon gives you plenty of room and time to admire the world, The Long Dark is much more hardcore (though I hear they included difficulty levels in the latest patch) and deadly. It's not really a "walking simulator" though it's certainly beautiful to look at. The game makes you be really active so it's not really a relaxing experience the same way Eidolon is.

I prefer The Long Dark by far myself but different strokes.

Alright thanks. I'll pick it up now and let it bake through its updates while playing other stuff in the meantime.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I want to thank two goons for gifting me Venom table for PinballFX2 and Recettear. Don't know your SA names, but thanks a lot, guys!

re: co-op games chat. I'd like to plug Towerfall: Ascension. It's the best couch-multiplayer game on Steam right now, I think. Lots of content, various unlocks, stats to check, badges to get. And the best part is that it's really easy to get into, but it hides a surprising amounts of depth. Like there's stuff with hyper jumping and shot stagger that I just found about because the dev is writing about advanced techniques in his game. There's a good SP mode (that can also be played in co-op), three MP variants with lots of customization. And there's more on the way as the dev is working on an expansion which will have procedurally generated levels. Great music, too.

Towerfall's not that popular somehow, maybe it's the OUYA stigma? It was about $6 on Humble Store not long ago but it sure is worth the asking price.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 28, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

bowmore posted:

Best Co-Op Games?

I'm surprised no one brought this up, especially with it being on a daily deal today, but Dead Rising 2: Off The Record has both the full campaign and sandbox mode in co-op, along with profiles that can level up to 50, with lots of challenges. I don't know how you guys feel about DR2:OTR, but it's certainly there.

Morter fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 28, 2014

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Maaaaaaaaaaan, gently caress FTL.

I was having a great run, got to sector 4 without incidend.

loving ASSHOLES posted:

Intruders on board

Crew wipe in like 10 seconds.

:negative:

/edit: I just realized I made over 6 bucks selling cards. I can now buy Dragonfall just with my card money. Feels good man.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

They won't go on daily or get a further discount.
How do you know? They have done in the past.

e: should've continued reading

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Morter posted:

I'm surprised no one brought this up, especially with it being on a daily deal today, but Dead Rising 2: Off The Record has both the full campaign and sandbox mode in co-op, along with profiles that can level up to 50, with lots of challenges. I don't know how you guys feel about DR2:OTR, but it's certainly there.

I'm waiting for it to be converted to Steamworks first. Capcom said they'd do it early next year but that could still be like, March 2015 for all I know. Shame because I do want to play it again.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Xaris posted:

As a fan of co-op games. This is pretty much my favorite distilled list on Steam. Some are local that I've played with my girlfriend, some are online co-op that I've played with friends. So just keep an eye out or clarify what you mean and what type you want.

Castle Crashers
BattleBlock Theatre
Monaco
Don't Starve Together
Portal 2
Guacamelee
Trine 2
7 Days to Die
Terraria

Broforce
Risk of Rain

Gauntlet
Towerfall Ascension.

Which one of these would be best in local co-op with my SO whose reflexes/controller handling skills lag behind mine due to not wasting their lives on video games? To me the different skill levels is always the biggest problem with local multi.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

Which one of these would be best in local co-op with my SO whose reflexes/controller handling skills lag behind mine due to not wasting their lives on video games? To me the different skill levels is always the biggest problem with local multi.

There's some classes in Monaco that don't require too much skill and there are some sections in the game where talking things over for a few seconds before you move in are handy. You both could just go nuts and rush in to take everything, but that can backfire if you get cornered or pick a fight with the wrong group.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Burning Rain posted:

The LEGO games, for sure. Maybe Trine, and Don't Starve Together.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Burning Rain posted:

Trine 2. The three characters have very distinct play styles and thus different requirements for the kind of skills you need to employ and everything is solvable (somehow) by every character.

I would have said Portal 2 since reflexes are so rarely a factor and since it allows for good set-up in the few cases where it is, but since you said local co-op…

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Thanks, guys! I have Trine 2 in my library, but have never really thought of it as a coop game due to finishing the first one solo, so I'll get it installing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sonic Racing Transformed is also pretty casual friendly and has split/screen.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Borderlands 2 does not have local co-op on PC. Same with Orcs Must Die 2.

Shame as they're action games that don't require too much twitch.

The LEGO games are definitely your best bet. They're all of pretty great quality except for the Pirates of the Carribean and second Indiana Jones ones. Of the rest Batman 2, Marvel and Batman 3 are the best.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/19282/

The Tropico 4 bundulu is a very pro buy if you like city builders and fun.
It can be on the spergy side if you get into industry management and street layouts, don't be fooled by that Caribbean soundtrack.

e; Modern Times and the Quickdry Cement DLC are not optional, so might aswell get the whole thing

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 28, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Borderlands 2 does not have local co-op on PC. Same with Orcs Must Die 2.

Shame as they're action games that don't require too much twitch.

The LEGO games are definitely your best bet. They're all of pretty great quality except for the Pirates of the Carribean and second Indiana Jones ones. Of the rest Batman 2, Marvel and Batman 3 are the best.

I've heard nothing but bad things about Lego Pirates, but no details. What's wrong with it?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Burning Rain posted:

Rayman legends. Not only is it one of the best games ever, it also has very forgiving co op since.you can revive her all the time/take it slow for secrets

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

I've heard nothing but bad things about Lego Pirates, but no details. What's wrong with it?

It's horribly rushed compared to the others (I've heard the PC port is particularly bad,) suffers from really awkward control issues and just generally for some reason lacks a lot of the charm of the other games. It was the last game of the "first generation" of LEGO games before the devs really worked on refining the formula and it does kind of show.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Hammerwatch is great Co-op. Both local and online.And when you create a game you can adjust the difficulty with special settings. I put it on infinite lives when I played my girlfriend.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Thoughts on Space Hulk Ascension?

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Xaris posted:

Castle Crashers
BattleBlock Theatre
Monaco
Don't Starve Together
Portal 2
Guacamelee
Trine 2
7 Days to Die
Terraria

Broforce
Risk of Rain

Gauntlet
Towerfall Ascension.

Somer more.

Renegade Ops
Shank
Jamestown
Trine/Trine 2

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Major Isoor posted:

So, how's Starpoint Gemini 2? Is it like Freelancer, or the X series? Or is it like those more RTS-ish space games that are on Steam? (Sorry, can't think of their names at the moment, but well, more of a 'top-down + control multiple ships primarily via mouse' sort of thing, I mean) Since I certainly wouldn't mind a good Freelancer-/X-like space sim at the moment, although if it's not like either of those, I might pass.

So yeah, thanks for any information that you guys can provide!

I had a friend gift it to me for xmas, and unfortunately, once the opening video plays, the game hangs up/freezes immediately upon the game handing control over to the player.

My system meets specs, and I've turned every video option as low as it can go or turned it off entirely.

I am really interested in the game and want to check it out, but am literally unable to play it for the time being until they fix whatever is causing this issue.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rhaegar posted:

Thoughts on Space Hulk Ascension?

It'd drat near perfect. Think XCom but more unforgiving, with better-looking art assets. It's really good.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Does anyone know how saving/recovering saves from the Steam cloud works? I was playing Arkham Origins all week on another computer and the save game doesn't appear to have transferred across the cloud to my normal PC. How do I get these two on teh same page here?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Does anyone know how the digital versions of warcraft 3/starcraft are over at Blizzard? I've got the original disks for them somewhere but gently caress knows where, so i figure getting the digital versions would aleviate the hassle.

Also, is there a reason why Warcraft 1 and 2 don't seem to be available. Like are Blizzard just distancing themselves from them from a brand perspective or are they notorious for not working on modern systems or something?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I know I'm late to the game, but this holiday sale has finally gotten me looking into what this whole card-collecting deal is. I have to say, it's interesting enough to where I'd like to collect badges for the games I actually play.

Couple things that are confusing me about the system... how the hell is there so much of a supply available? If you can only get 1/2 of the cards from regular drops - 1/10 if you max it out at level 5 - are 99% of people just selling their cards instead of collecting? It can't be boosters, because I've apparently only gotten one booster pack for Civ 5 since late 2010. If I had the max steam level it looks like that would have extrapolated to 2 packs instead of 1. It can't be gems either because it's cheaper to buy individual cards than an equivalent number of gems, for most games.

Also, I have 143 hours played on Skyrim and 0/4 card drops. How many hours do you need for those cards?? :psyduck:

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 28, 2014

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Fryhtaning posted:

are 99% of people just selling their cards instead of collecting?
Yes! There are also more booster packs than you might expect out there. I got at least 10 in the last year and I wasn't even that high level (higher level = higher chance). You can only earn booster packs for a game once you have no card drops left.

Fryhtaning posted:

Also, I have 143 hours played on Skyrim and 0/4 card drops. How many hours do you need for those cards?? :psyduck:
You probably played those 140 hours before they added cards to Skyrim.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 28, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

404notfound posted:

http://www.carpefulgur.com/drakblog/?p=53

Carpe Fulgur is a goon outfit, right? In any case, hope the dude gets the help he needs :ohdearsass:

Yo, dude, if you're reading this thread - I've been there. I barely made it through those years, and I every sentence of that post hit me in the gut. Please keep seeking help until you find what you need. I don't want to promise it can get better, but you can find the tools and support you need to keep yourself afloat and functioning.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Eruonen posted:

Yes! There are also more booster packs than you might expect out there. I got at least 10 in the last year and I wasn't even that high level (higher level = higher chance). You can only earn booster packs for a game once you have no card drops left.

You probably played those 140 hours before they added cards to Skyrim.

I get the impression that cards must be a relatively new thing to Steam, then? That would explain a lot on both notes indeed.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Fryhtaning posted:

I get the impression that cards must be a relatively new thing to Steam, then? That would explain a lot on both notes indeed.

they started spring 2013 iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I just bothered taking a look at mine for the first time ever last night, and I spent fifteen minutes to put everything on the Market last night for a penny under usual price, and I woke up this morning to a free $2.70 that I converted into FTL. Here's looking forward to another free indie game in a couple years.

• Locked thread