Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I accept her proposal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That isn't fair to the other people in jail.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Question: Will the RCMP body slam a sitting MP?

Question 2: Will Swagger defend them for doing so?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It would be nice if when the governing party is accused of unethical behaviour the (accurate) response wasn't always "you did it / will do it again too".

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Jordan7hm posted:

It would be nice if when the governing party is accused of unethical behaviour the (accurate) response wasn't always "you did it / will do it again too".

The NDP would be well positioned to attack this behavior. Or least they would have been before they decided to start doing everything they could to make themselves indistinguishable from the other parties except on some very narrow policy grounds.

Jack Layton gambled everything on winning power. He and his chosen successors failed. Now the NDP stands for nothing in the minds of the public and is no more capable of taking advantage of this issue than anyone else, because after Mulcair the party just looks to the public like a less competent and electable version of the Liberals.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Liberals working to eliminate discrimination against Manitoblobs.

quote:

Advocates say Manitoba should expand human rights protection to overweight people because they are being passed over for everything from job promotions to surgery.

About two dozen people rallied outside the legislature Wednesday in support of Liberal legislature member Jon Gerrard and his effort to amend the province's human rights code to ban discrimination based on physical size or weight. Manitoba would be the first province to do so, he said.

"People are being made to feel ashamed or bullied," Gerrard said. "There are also issues where people are not getting the help or the treatment that they should be getting."

Lindsey Mazur, a dietitian, said some overweight people she works with are being denied surgeries and other care unless they lose weight first. In the workforce, some people are losing out on promotions because of their weight, she added.

"A friend of mine who worked at a fitness facility here in Winnipeg was told no one would want to look like her; therefore, no one would want to train with her, and a project was given to a younger, slimmer colleague of hers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-liberals-weight-human-rights-1.3864788

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Hey look, yet another issue where Justin Trudeau is getting away with things that even Stephen Harper abandoned despite having a majority:

quote:

Will the Trudeau Liberals try to go where even Harper's Conservatives never dared?

Canada's Finance Minister Bill Morneau quietly tabled a bill this week that would give Crown corporations and federal private-sector employers the power to unilaterally back out of their defined-benefit pension commitments.

For both working and retired employees, the changes could mean dramatic reductions to retirement benefits they've paid into, budgeted around and assumed would be available for many years.

The President of the Canadian Labour Congress is pulling no punches, calling Bill C-27 an "unconscionable betrayal" and an "attack on future and current retirees" – here's how the CLC describes the impact of the new bill:

quote:

"Bill C-27 removes employers’ legal requirements to fund plan benefits, which means that benefits could be reduced going forward or even retroactively. Even people already retired could find their existing benefits affected, after paying in their entire working lives."

Bill C-27, innocently named the "Act to amend the Pension Benefits Standards Act, 1985," would remove the legal obligation for employers within federal jurisdiction to protect already accrued benefits.

Under Defined Benefit plans, employers are required to ensure recipients get a monthly payment regardless of their company's investment returns. Already earned, or "accrued" benefits, are legally protected and can't be clawed back later.

While DB plans are not as cheap to maintain as alternatives like Defined Contribution plans, they have the advantage of offering workers a greater security in retirement.

In a strongly-worded letter to Bill Morneau, CLC President Hassan Yussuff demanded the bill be withdrawn and accused the Liberals of introducing policies that were not contained in their platform:

quote:

"C-27 was introduced without notice or consultation with Canadians, pensioners, or unions and proposes measures that directly contradict election promises to improve retirement security for Canadians. If enacted, it will have negative implications for private and public-sector DB plans in every jurisdiction in Canada."

The Liberal platform explicitly frames its polices on pensions using the language of "retirement security" – a "goal" C-27 would clearly work to undermine:

While the platform pledges to boost the CPP, it says nothing about a rollback of DBs.

In April 2014, the Harper Conservatives unveiled a plan to loosen rules around public sector pensions and encourage the proliferation of less stable Targeted Benefit plans.

The plan was dropped after facing strong opposition.

More recently, Canada Post's Conservative-appointed management tried to weaken pensions in a similar way for new hires.

So are Trudeau's Liberals really going to pick up where Harper's Conservatives left off?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
hahahahahaha but no Trudeau and the Libs are totally different, vote strategically you guys

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Helsing posted:

Hey look, yet another issue where Justin Trudeau is getting away with things that even Stephen Harper abandoned despite having a majority:

Why am I reading about this on a weird progressive news site in an article that's 12 days old?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Now you've done it. First the food and music derails, and now here comes the Losing Weight train rumbling down the tracks. May God have mercy on our thread.

Not a doctor, but I'm guessing the risk associated with some surgeries increases significantly with more fat? The fitness centre might be missing a marketing opportunity, a fat but fit instructor might be less intimidating to unfit client than the buff, beautiful young bods we all want to see in Spandex, Lululemons or whatever the gently caress these creatures wear these days.

If the government wants to do something they need to start taxing white sugar and anything made with it out of existence. Make Tim Hortons donut trays look like the prices in a B.C. Ferries cafeteria.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lmao an obese dietician

In before Shaq defence

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Won't someone please think of the fatties that want to be personal trainers

jfc

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Hexigrammus posted:

Now you've done it. First the food and music derails, and now here comes the Losing Weight train rumbling down the tracks. May God have mercy on our thread.

Not a doctor, but I'm guessing the risk associated with some surgeries increases significantly with more fat? The fitness centre might be missing a marketing opportunity, a fat but fit instructor might be less intimidating to unfit client than the buff, beautiful young bods we all want to see in Spandex, Lululemons or whatever the gently caress these creatures wear these days.

If the government wants to do something they need to start taxing white sugar and anything made with it out of existence. Make Tim Hortons donut trays look like the prices in a B.C. Ferries cafeteria.

That would be bigotry against the fats

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I don't think they need to worry, they naturally have more people on their side by weight

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Someone tell Ikantski that PT6A has his login info

https://twitter.com/HAESRD/status/792054563691868160

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 29, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Why am I reading about this on a weird progressive news site in an article that's 12 days old?

Because the version I read from today's Globe and Mail Report on Business while I was drinking my coffee was printed on dead trees and the digital version is behind a pay wall.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JawKnee posted:

I don't think they need to worry, they naturally have more people on their side by weight

Plus their talking points are nearly unbeatable, in a heated debate they'll devour their opponents

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Plus their talking points are nearly unbeatable, in a heated debate they'll devour their opponents

heavy hitting and robust arguments

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

I do love the victim-first mentality by everyone now. Of course the doctor is judging me by my weight and that's why he wont give the surgery! He is an anti-fatty bigot. Its not because the risk of complications is so high and the fact you have diabetes,high blood pressure and hypertension makes you a dangerous candidate for any type of surgery.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 29, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
But if we don't pay attention to and respect the fats, they might elect a right wing manchild like Donald Trump

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Let's not ignore and this push underground the voice of the fats. They're people too and they deserve or compassion and respect and our cheap carbohydrates

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

patonthebach posted:

I do love the victim-first mentality by everyone know. Of course the doctor is judging me by my weight and that's why he wont give the surgery! He is an anti-fatty bigot. Its not because the risk of complications is so high and the fact you have diabetes,high blood pressure and hypertension makes you a dangerous candidate for any type of surgery.

Yeah, it's really quite simple. Doing surgery on obese people is difficult and has a higher risk of complications, therefore we should tell them to loving lose weight before they have surgery, unless it's literally life-threatening if they don't have surgery immediately.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just pump my veins full of mountain dew during surgery and I'll be fine

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My turn my turn -- Okay, what do a fatass and a tranny have in common???

You're all a bunch of hypocrites.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

the trump tutelage posted:

My turn my turn -- Okay, what do a fatass and a tranny have in common???

edit: I should not have responded to this bad post

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 29, 2016

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just pump my veins full of mountain dew during surgery and I'll be fine

If we started doing this on a massive scale, would this be considered accelerationism?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

You're all a bunch of hypocrites.

Oh do go on, I'm sure whatever loose wire is currently sparking in your head will provide great amusement for the people in this thread who aren't insane.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Turns out ignoring posters doesn't work if people keep on quoting them :<

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

PT6A posted:

Oh do go on, I'm sure whatever loose wire is currently sparking in your head will provide great amusement for the people in this thread who aren't insane.

You shouldn't mock and dehumanize marginalized people just because you think they deserve it for not conforming to whatever you deem normal, and you shouldn't shame people for their bodies. It's not complicated.

If you honestly believe there's something wrong with mocking the disabled, or trans people, or whoever else, but it's cool and funny to mock fat people, then you are an unprincipled idiot. At least be consistent in your prejudice.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I promise to stop mocking margarinized people.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

You shouldn't mock and dehumanize marginalized people just because you think they deserve it for not conforming to whatever you deem normal, and you shouldn't shame people for their bodies. It's not complicated.

If you honestly believe there's something wrong with mocking the disabled, or trans people, or whoever else, but it's cool and funny to mock fat people, then you are an unprincipled idiot. At least be consistent in your prejudice.

Some of the jokes in this thread weren't in good taste, but my original point was that they arent being judged because of their appearance, they are being judged by doctors because being obese is a serious clinical issue and makes them a poor candidate for surgery.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Part of why the cultural left was so strident in insisting that sexual orientation or gender identity are completely out of your control is because one of the strongest moral premises of our society is that we generally shouldn't blame people for things they can't control. Fatness, despite a lot of evidence to the contrary, is still regarded as a personal choice and thus something acceptable to mock.

A pretty good starting point for getting this thread would be to keep in mind that PT6A and Cultural Imperial are both very obviously self loathing alcoholics using CanPol as a sort of primal scream session therapy for working out their issues.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I promise to stop mocking margarinized people.

This would be a good new thread title instead of the Carly Rae Jepsen one imo

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

Fatness, despite a lot of evidence to the contrary, is still regarded as a personal choice and thus something acceptable to mock.

lmao

EDIT: To add: when I was told I should stop drinking alcohol and smoking before my surgery to minimize complication risk, I stopped both entirely from the time I was told to do so until well after the surgery. The doctors weren't judging my lifestyle choices, they were giving me medical advice.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 29, 2016

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

Part of why the cultural left was so strident in insisting that sexual orientation or gender identity are completely out of your control is because one of the strongest moral premises of our society is that we generally shouldn't blame people for things they can't control. Fatness, despite a lot of evidence to the contrary, is still regarded as a personal choice and thus something acceptable to mock.

I don't think we came to that belief strategically, no.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Please don't feed the Trump fetishist

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I hate Trump.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't think we came to that belief strategically, no.

I think we did though? Obviously there wasn't a meeting in a smoke filled room somewhere but I think that cultural assumptions in the 1980s and 1990s created selection pressures for which kinds of arguments got the most attention and were promoted the most heavily. I'm not saying people are insincere in their beliefs but I do think cultural biases about the moral importance of choice played a role in determining what kind of arguments were most consistently used in justifying better treatment of LGBTQ individuals and groups.

The particular fixation in some places on homosexuality being something you're born with rather than a product of environment or choice seems like the most blatant example to me. It absolutely shouldn't matter whether you "choose" to be attracted to the same sex or whether it's hard-wired but the much more common argument, especially when gay rights was still somewhat controversial for mainstream politicians, was that homosexuality was something you were born with.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I just took a look at the NDP leadership filing paperwork and man

quote:

a) Candidates must le with the CEO nomination signature paperwork which have been duly signed by five hundred (500) members in good standing of the New Democratic Party.
i) The party may setup an electronic system to facilitate this process.
b) The nomination signature paperwork must include signatures from a minimum of fifty (50) members from each of the five (5) regions.
i) The five regions are Quebec, Atlantic, Ontario, BC/North, and Prairies.
c) At least fifty percent (50%) of the required nomination signatures must be from female identied members.
d) At least a hundred (100) signatures must be from other equity-seeking groups. (Visible Minorities, Aboriginals, Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgendered, Persons Living with disabilities)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

lmao

EDIT: To add: when I was told I should stop drinking alcohol and smoking before my surgery to minimize complication risk, I stopped both entirely from the time I was told to do so until well after the surgery. The doctors weren't judging my lifestyle choices, they were giving me medical advice.

You do realize genetics plays a large part in weight, right? Same goes for addictions, something you even admit to battling yourself.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I just took a look at the NDP leadership filing paperwork and man

Thats a lot of words just to say "You must be popular and liked by lots of different people."