Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Tuvok just needed to choke the ol' Talaxian, if you know what I mean.

Sadly Thankfully, Tuvok mistook the euphemism for an actual act of killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Can't they gently caress a holodeck?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Martok's great. I love his speech to Sisko about how "Marriage is a War".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFpwGW697-A

The best part about this is in countless other shows they would have had Sisko respond with your tired “Actually marriage is about love and respect and blah blah blah.” But Sisko knows that’s what Martok is talking about and approaches it on his terms.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kibayasu posted:

The best part about this is in countless other shows they would have had Sisko respond with your tired “Actually marriage is about love and respect and blah blah blah.” But Sisko knows that’s what Martok is talking about and approaches it on his terms.

Exactly! It's also one of those things that could've just been a sexist husband-vs-wife diatribe in the hands of, say, Voyager's writers, but you can really tell even without Sisko being involved that it's all just subtext for a happy loving marriage. He will lose the war in the end, and he wouldn't have it any other way :black101:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

drilldo squirt posted:

Hold on, she make like Janeway for good, ironic reasons, like the rest of us.

:negative: :shepicide:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Martok's great. I love his speech to Sisko about how "Marriage is a War".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFpwGW697-A

I have to wonder what Martok's response would have been if someone pointed out "hey, with that warrior's heart beating in your ol' buddy's chest, do you think he would have preferred to pass away an old man in a comfortable home, or out in the wilderness on one last hunt?"

Now now, assuming the worst because she has a horse is a very un-Trek attitude to have.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I just accidentally came across this again and am posting it here for safekeeping

THS
Sep 15, 2017

barbecue at the folks posted:

I just accidentally came across this again and am posting it here for safekeeping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVaNxB5TN2M

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Well I'm gay for Casey Biggs, I guess

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Now now, assuming the worst because she has a horse is a very un-Trek attitude to have.

The real question is if she owns her own saddle. She isn't serious about horsemanship unless she has her own saddle.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Could have meant a seahorse. Then again, between boats, horses, and saltwater aquariums you can wind up spending hundreds of thousands on poo poo that never works correctly/is destroyed from the slightest of mistakes.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Horse people are insane, look at shatner

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Tighclops posted:

it was probably in shatner's contract for generations that they had to ride horses

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If she has a horse it means she has money dude

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
If she has a horse it means she has no money because she spends it all on horses.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Yandat posted:

it was probably in shatner's contract for generations that they had to ride horses

Actually I believe that is exactly what happened

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Tighclops posted:

yeah i mean im throwing darts at a pretty wide target when it comes to dumb poo poo related to william shatner

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

It wasn't contractual but the script called for Picard and Kirk to meet at a rustic cabin. The house itself was actually a random ranch that they found through location scouting, same with the stable. The horses Picard and Kirk ride are Shatner's horses, though, which leads to a very beautifully poetic moment, because Stewart had almost no experience on horseback, and the horse he rode got very skittish. So when Picard finally catches up to Kirk, his horse is kind of circling around Kirk's and vice-versa, both sniffing around and being all "WTF, is everything okay here?" Mimicking the two captains coming to terms with each other.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 11, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Shatner’s horse obsession is my favorite TOS cast eccentricity. At the very least it’s better than Takei’s obsession with parroting ten old memes and clickbait links per day.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Shatner’s horse obsession is my favorite TOS cast eccentricity. At the very least it’s better than Takei’s obsession with parroting ten old memes and clickbait links per day.

You haven't seen Shatner's twitter have you.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kibayasu posted:

You haven't seen Shatner's twitter have you.

Not in a while, but from what I remember it was mostly him plugging his own events and cons and getting into twitter spats with randos

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shatner's entire social media presence is, and always has been, run by his daughter Melanie. As I recall, he barely knows how to use email.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

dudeness posted:

Can't they gently caress a holodeck?

my wife and I have a running joke about 'riker protocol' which is essentially the summoning of the cleanup crew after rikers holodeck parties so that it's hygenic again for the next user

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Don't you dare gently caress this up.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Also, I used to like Kate Mulgrew until I found out she took out her Berman frustrations on Jerry Ryan.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

drilldo squirt posted:

Also, I used to like Kate Mulgrew until I found out she took out her Berman frustrations on Jerry Ryan.

its not a good or fair reaction, especially considering that ryan wasnt phoning it in or anything - she wasnt coasting on her gimmick and looks, she was one of the better actors on the show

but i get it. its an understandable reaction when youre the lead of the show and the new actress brought in to up the ratings is also dating one of the showrunners

naem
May 29, 2011

Yandat posted:

its not a good or fair reaction, especially considering that ryan wasnt phoning it in or anything - she wasnt coasting on her gimmick and looks, she was one of the better actors on the show

but i get it. its an understandable reaction when youre the lead of the show and the new actress brought in to up the ratings is also dating one of the showrunners

It would be like if they brought in a male stripper to the cast of TNG because Picard wasn't pulling in ratings

naem
May 29, 2011

"Look Pat you may be a classically trained Shakespearean actor but we need the teenaged girl demographic so this guy is going to walk around with his shirt off a lot flexing and he has a pet pony, he's from the pony planet"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Just what does a Vulcan in the grip of ponn farr need? Just the release?

Because I'm not gay but I'd give Tuvok a handy if his life literally depended on it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

It wasn't contractual but the script called for Picard and Kirk to meet at a rustic cabin. The house itself was actually a random ranch that they found through location scouting, same with the stable. The horses Picard and Kirk ride are Shatner's horses, though, which leads to a very beautifully poetic moment, because Stewart had almost no experience on horseback, and the horse he rode got very skittish. So when Picard finally catches up to Kirk, his horse is kind of circling around Kirk's and vice-versa, both sniffing around and being all "WTF, is everything okay here?" Mimicking the two captains coming to terms with each other.

I love the story from Star Trek 5 where Shatner spends a few minutes giving Nimoy advice on how to ride horseback, while forgetting or not knowing that Nimoy had been in a bunch of westerns before.

Tighclops posted:

Nah, I know a lady who had a horse, she's pretty level-headed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Have the concept art for a Kzinti ship from the plans for ENT season 5.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Cythereal posted:

now THIS is podracing

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

It's really good horse language, you can't fake it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

Just what does a Vulcan in the grip of ponn farr need? Just the release?
according to the old series they need to either kill or gently caress something or they die of the stress

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

according to the old series they need to either kill or gently caress something or they die of the stress

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cythereal posted:

Crimson Skies 3 lookin’ good

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

naem posted:

It would be like if they brought in a male stripper to the cast of TNG because Picard wasn't pulling in ratings

Now we know why the beard showed up in season 3.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pick posted:

It's really good horse language, you can't fake it.

Like I said, it's very poetic and a very happy accident, one of the best in a Trek movie.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Cythereal posted:

Yep, the official explanation is that it's the EPS - Electro-Plasma System - conduits that bring power from the warp core to everything on the ship rupturing. Why consoles need to be directly connected to the EPS network is a question for the engineers.

Its not so much the consoles that explode. It's just that the plasma plumbing for a ship is so dense that no matter where you are, there's extreme power inches from your body at any given time, and usually directly behind a computer panel. Like, at an office your foot is right next to power adaptors and poo poo that would be pretty dangerous just by itself if it were prone to sudden power surges. That can be ameliorated in your office by having breakers, but the power requirements of a starship goes beyond some laptops and maybe a laser printer. Just for you to stay alive, you have environmental systems, gravity plating and inertial dampening field emitters. Then you have shield emitters, replicators, fire suppression, wall-to-wall sensors, forcefield emitters, hologram projectors and transporter arrays which are basically everywhere in the ship. Then there's the major ship systems which are distributed at different points and all connect at the bridge which all have universe-destroying power requirements.

So because of the power and efficiency requirements, you can't just use wires, which means safety is harder, and it has to be everywhere so you end up with a basement bitcoin rig (or a complex factory or submarine) but with tubes of star-hot plasma. It sometimes doesn't go well, but I guess it would go worse if you couldn't prevent extinctions and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

counterfeitsaint posted:

Now we know why the beard showed up in season 3.

Yeah, I mean having two Rikers is ludicrous.