Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Do you think metal fans don’t have a good time listening to metal?

A lot of them seem really mad about it. I sincerely don't think Pantera fans are happy about anything ever. If you mention Ghost to most metal fans, they look like you broke their XBox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
I'm super into noisy and lo-fi crap, but I don't really see metal as "noisy", tbh, and I don't really vibe with, like, 98% of it. It's all just a bit too, conservative, I guess? Like it exists in pretty well-defined confines as a genre of music, even the supposedly experimental stuff. Which, by the way, often goes way too hard on the whole "hurr durr we're playing a 30-notes-per-second solo over a 14/4 beat that occasionally turns into a 13/8 beat according to the Fibonacci sequence or whatever" thing, which doesn't leave much of anything for me to vibe with. Like, it's cool that people can do that, I guess, but eh

And yeah, the corniness as well. I mean, all music is at least somewhat corny if you think about it too much, but metal often tends to break the suspension-of-corny for me.

All of the above goes for like 99.5% of what passes as "modern rock" as well. Except for the experimental stuff. Experiments are strictly forbidden in "modern rock" it seems

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

A lot of them seem really mad about it. I sincerely don't think Pantera fans are happy about anything ever. If you mention Ghost to most metal fans, they look like you broke their XBox.

Pantera fans always seem like they’re having a good time to me. The downside of course is that they listen to Pantera.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Old-school metalheads can never quite admit to themselves that metal has actually been pretty mainstream for like the last twenty years or so and that it doesn't really say anything about you anymore that you listen to a metal band.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

being in the same room as anselmo for any length of time seems hazardous to your health

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The music you (yes, you in particular) enjoy sucks really bad, and the more you identify with it the more you suck as a human being.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

being in the same room as anselmo for any length of time seems hazardous to your health

Just ask Dimebag and Vinnie Paul

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Guns are a tool, you need them as much as a wheat harvester.

You shouldn't have a gun unless it is relevant to your job or employment.

You should have to get a license and have to state why you need to own it relevant to its use and your job. Self employed farmer for some reason or possibly your employer needs to sign off. Refferenced against your Tax employment record if needed.

Halloween Liker has a new favorite as of 15:20 on Mar 19, 2021

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Halloween Liker posted:

Guns are a tool, you need them as much as a wheat harvester.

You shouldn't have a gun unless it is relevant to your job or employment.

You should have to get a license and have to state why you need to own it releveat to its use and your job. Self employed farmer for some reason or possibly your employer needs to sign off.

you dont actually need them for any reason

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
That pantera - walk song worked well in whichever tony hawks game it was in but LMFAO who hears shite like that and thinks hmmm aggressive overly angry very repetitive music is what i need more of in my life

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If you own any appreciable amount of land, you need a gun.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

If you own any appreciable amount of land, you need a gun.

i own 2 hectares

i do not need a gun

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

you dont actually need them for any reason

This is true in many ways, but I was more limiting useage than banning fully, though that would be great.
Farmers need to put down stuff and remove vermin like possums or wild goats or pigs, or if youre employed in doing something like that.

Its a big world

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

That pantera - walk song worked well in whichever tony hawks game it was in but LMFAO who hears shite like that and thinks hmmm aggressive overly angry very repetitive music is what i need more of in my life

Mouth For War is their best song.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Shibawanko posted:

i own 2 hectares

i do not need a gun

Maybe not you, but don't you live in some oddly-monoculture north european place or another with no coyotes or hogs or rattlers or nosy neighbors

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There are a lot of things people don't need but should be allowed to have anyway.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You don’t need a gun for any of that except hogs unless you’re a psychopath.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Coyotes are loving assholes man.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Captain Monkey posted:

Lol if you don't own a gun what are you gonna wave in the air while screaming the moment someone steps on your land

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

Coyotes are loving assholes man.

I’ve shot a few of those when I lived in the middle of nowhere. If it comes down to my dog or a coyote my dog wins every time.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
* climbing a tree with a sedative syringe to destroy invasive pests *

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

man if I'm in my lookout blind with my binoculars and I spot anyone near The Hatch you better believe they're getting domed

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Manager Hoyden posted:

man if I'm in my lookout blind with my binoculars and I spot anyone near The Hatch you better believe they're getting domed

Thats hunting. Hunting should be banned

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

yeah, even hogs though

i got wild boar sometimes. but why would i shoot them?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Shibawanko posted:

i own 2 hectares

i do not need a gun

2 hectares is piss-all land, not an appreciable amount. You still don't need one.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

yeah, even hogs though

i got wild boar sometimes. but why would i shoot them?

Cool.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Halloween Liker posted:

Thats hunting. Hunting should be banned

Hunting is huge for keeping deer populations down, which reduces deer starving to death or slowly dying from being hit by a car/people being injured when they hit deer with cars.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve shot a few of those when I lived in the middle of nowhere. If it comes down to my dog or a coyote my dog wins every time.

If your dog is so tough and always wins, why do you need a gun?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

except it's really hosed up to just kill animals for no reason? are you a psycho?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
As in “if I have to choose between”

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Hunting is huge for keeping deer populations down, which reduces deer starving to death or slowly dying from being hit by a car/people being injured when they hit deer with cars.
Yeah, all kidding aside, in a lot of European countries populations of larger wild animals have to be actively hunted and culled because the absence of predators means that populations would otherwise balloon to the point of causing serious damage to forests and possibly even human settlements. This is less of a problem in places that still actually have wolves or bears or whatever, but Europe relies heavily on private hunters to do what the state can't afford to hire thousands of animal control professionals for.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Man monster hunter lore is pretty hosed up

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
We have skunks in the area, and they usually test positive for rabies. How the heck should someone deal with a rabid skunk without a gun?

Just saying no one needs a gun is flat out silly.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Joburg posted:

We have skunks in the area, and they usually test positive for rabies. How the heck should someone deal with a rabid skunk without a gun?

Paint a white stripe down a cat's back and lure it under a dangling piano like a civilised person? This won't kill the skunk but it will make it woozily walk away with piano keys for teeth.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I hope that reference to toonstruck was deliberate !

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Everyone should have a gun.

Firearms lessons should start in second grade.

The government should give children of eight a .22 rifle, children of ten a 12g single shot shotgun, of 12 a .308 bolt action rifle and on their 16th an ar-15.

Tax the rich to pay for it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Guyver didn't have a gun

Sure he had boob plasma but no gun

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Do forehead lasers count as guns?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

guns are fun to shoot cans with if you have land, but the crazies buy up all the .22 ammo as soon as it hits the shelves and ruin it for everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Joburg posted:

Realistically, you want to trap it first to remove it from the area before its killed.
Once it's away, there are a few methods, displacing oxygen with another gas is one of the more humane ways. When they die, muscles go slack, and it releases the contents of the anal glands, so it's gonna smell.

Anyone who's first instinct is to shoot a skunk where it stands in a populated area is a loving idiot. They're like blind little old men, the way the dodder around.