Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

trip9 posted:

Also the initial reveal of the monster in The Descent with the nightvision camera and everyone freaking out was an amazing jump scare.

I remember seeing it in theatres, and it worked so well because of how unexpected it was. Going in fairly blind, until then you just had an incredibly claustrophobic story of a group of women going in way beyond their depth. All the tension was being wrangled from plausible and familiar situations - tight crawl spaces, spelunking accidents etc... The tonal shift in the second half was somewhat hinted at it, but that nightvision reveal just blew you away and kickstarted the movie to a whole new level.

Still arguably the best horror movie of the 00s, can anyone better it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Cart posted:

I think Bug and House of the Devil are strong contenders.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The best jump scare I've seen is the jack-in-the-box egg scene from Alien. It's drenched in atmosphere, and that slight hesitation of "what the hell is that" before it actually happens is great.

The shuttle scare is also pretty perfect.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
Can't believe the ventilation shaft jump scare in Alien is getting third billing in this thread.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

The shuttle scare is also pretty perfect.

I don't think it holds up quite as well on repeat viewings, but it's still really good.

Mister J posted:

Can't believe the ventilation shaft jump scare in Alien is getting third billing in this thread.

I think it's pretty telling how good Alien is if the most popular scene is in fourth place now. Alien is loving great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien is the best.

Although, I wish I could've found it scary at any point in my life. That Alien was just too awesome to me as a kid. :( I had a little Alien doll I would bring to stores. That gross thing was my teddy bear.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Alien is the best.

Although, I wish I could've found it scary at any point in my life. That Alien was just too awesome to me as a kid. :( I had a little Alien doll I would bring to stores. That gross thing was my teddy bear.

Ever since I was a kid whenever a movie would try and hide it's monster from me I instantly went from being scared to being curious about what it looked like, and it lost all chance of actually frightening me. The only movie monster I ever found actually terrifying when I was young was Freddy Krueger, who was just totally out there with what he looked like. Stuff like the alien, or Jason under his mask, or anything like that was completely ineffective.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

TheJoker138 posted:

Ever since I was a kid whenever a movie would try and hide it's monster from me I instantly went from being scared to being curious about what it looked like, and it lost all chance of actually frightening me. The only movie monster I ever found actually terrifying when I was young was Freddy Krueger, who was just totally out there with what he looked like. Stuff like the alien, or Jason under his mask, or anything like that was completely ineffective.

You might dig Pumpkinhead.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pumpkinhead is dope as poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When I was a kid I made my dad rent Pumpkinhead for me, despite him telling me it was really bad. He was wrong and it's been one of my favorite movies ever since.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 6, 2015

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Pumpkinhead has a goofy name that makes it sound like a crazy dude with a pumpkin on his head is murdering teens, but it's way better than that. It's a great story of revenge with some brutally simple kills, and excellent creature effects, but what else would you expect from a Stan Winston-directed movie?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cart posted:

Seriously? The Descent isn't even the best Neil Marshall movie of the 00s.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The best jump scare is Friday the 13th Part 2 because someone literally just tosses a cat through a window.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Jedit posted:

Seriously? The Descent isn't even the best Neil Marshall movie of the 00s.

You best be talking about Dog Soldiers and not Doomsday there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mister J posted:

I'm obviously nit-picking, because Alien may be my favorite movie of all-time bar none, but I always felt the ventilation shaft scare could have been better. Its great as it is, the tension that's built up there is insane, but the way the alien looks and moves in that scene just didn't quite work for me 100%. The way he opens his arms up kind of like a hug, and how his fingers are flopping around looking all rubbery. I think its a case of showing a little too much of the alien from the wrong angle. Still a great scare the first time you see it though.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Cart posted:

A bunch of friends and I were bored and decided to pick up Doomsday. I went in with no expectations and it ended up being a pretty amazing experience.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cart posted:

Centurion.

(Nah, it's Dog Soldiers.)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

trip9 posted:

A bunch of friends and I were bored and decided to pick up Doomsday. I went in with no expectations and it ended up being a pretty amazing experience.

I also loved Doomsday.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't know if I would still like Doomsday on a rewatch, but the sheer novelty of what it went for was worth a lot at the time.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cart posted:

House of 1000 Corpses/Devils Rejects.

Maybe one of the first three Saw movies, but I still consider those more thriller than they are horror.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Don't know if it's the best, but for my money give me The Loved Ones over anything else in the 00's. Wolf Creek might come close though.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I'd say The Ring and 28 Days Later are definitely up there with The Descent in best horror of the 00's.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Best horror of 2000-2010 in no particular order( I don't really like ranking stuff):

The Ring, Saw, Jeepers Creepers, The Devil's Rejects, The Hills Have Eyes, Drag Me to Hell, The Descent, Friday the 13th, Trick r Treat, Final Destination, 28 days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Let the Right One In.

I'm not sure yet whether 2010-2020 will match it because we're halfway through and I can really only name maybe 4 or 5 films that are worthy:

Lords of Salem, Insidious, Sinister, The Conjuring, Martyrs.

Then there are some that maybe are too new for me to fully judge yet, stuff like The Babadook, Mama, As Above So Below, and It Follows.. I'm sure there are plenty more that may over time prove to be worthy of a "best of the decade" tag, so it could be a close race in the end.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

DrVenkman posted:

The best jump scare is Friday the 13th Part 2 because someone literally just tosses a cat through a window.

Haha, what? That's loving hilarious.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Best horror of 2000-2010 in no particular order( I don't really like ranking stuff):

The Ring, Saw, Jeepers Creepers, The Devil's Rejects, The Hills Have Eyes, Drag Me to Hell, The Descent, Friday the 13th, Trick r Treat, Final Destination, 28 days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Let the Right One In.

I'm not sure yet whether 2010-2020 will match it because we're halfway through and I can really only name maybe 4 or 5 films that are worthy:

Then there are some that maybe are too new for me to fully judge yet, stuff like The Babadook, Mama, As Above So Below, and It Follows.. I'm sure there are plenty more that may over time prove to be worthy of a "best of the decade" tag, so it could be a close race in the end.

I'd say Asian horror trumps most American horror. If you haven't seen any, I suggest you check some out!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm obviously nit-picking, because Alien may be my favorite movie of all-time bar none, but I always felt the ventilation shaft scare could have been better. Its great as it is, the tension that's built up there is insane, but the way the alien looks and moves in that scene just didn't quite work for me 100%. The way he opens his arms up kind of like a hug, and how his fingers are flopping around looking all rubbery. I think its a case of showing a little too much of the alien from the wrong angle. Still a great scare the first time you see it though.

I think it's the editing. They hold the shot just a touch too long. It's like the alien is going "boo" instead of attacking.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

xzoto1 posted:

I'd say Asian horror trumps most American horror. If you haven't seen any, I suggest you check some out!

Eh, the best 5 Asian horror films from a given decade may stack up well against the top 5 American ones, but America has volume. I mean I listed 13 excellent horror movies from the 00's but you could add a lot more to it that probably some people would say belong on the list. Stuff like Session 9, Wolf Creek, The Ruins, Hostel, The Collector, The Last Exorcism, 1408, The Mist, Inside, and The Strangers could all conceivably pop up on a "best of the decade" list. I'm sure there are plenty of great Asian horror films that just never got enough exposure, but from the outside it seems like there's only a really good one maybe every other year.

Ringu, I Saw the Devil, and The Host are definitely some of the best of their decade though, no question.

Edit: Is Inside French? I never saw it. Anyway I included a bunch that aren't American on both lists so I guess we're just talking East vs. West

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 6, 2015

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Pretty sure Martyrs was 2008.

The Hills Have Eyes is definitely one of the best of the 00's in my opinion.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Pretty sure Martyrs was 2008.

drat then it took me like 3-4 years to see it, I was waaay behind on that one.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

xzoto1 posted:

Asian horror is two-thousand and late. Australian horror is extremely my jam lately and probably for the foreseeable future. Wolf Creek, Loved Ones, Snowtown, Acolytes, etc.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Asian horror is two-thousand and late. Australian horror is extremely my jam lately and probably for the foreseeable future. Wolf Creek, Loved Ones, Snowtown, Acolytes, etc.

How do you not mention Lake Mungo, which is head, shoulders,and like, probably nipples above all those others

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

trip9 posted:

Also the initial reveal of the monster in The Descent with the nightvision camera and everyone freaking out was an amazing jump scare.

Fun Fact: That was the first time the actors saw the monsters. They were genuinely scared when that happened.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Eh, the best 5 Asian horror films from a given decade may stack up well against the top 5 American ones, but America has volume. I mean I listed 13 excellent horror movies from the 00's but you could add a lot more to it that probably some people would say belong on the list. Stuff like Session 9, Wolf Creek, The Ruins, Hostel, The Collector, The Last Exorcism, 1408, The Mist, Inside, and The Strangers could all conceivably pop up on a "best of the decade" list. I'm sure there are plenty of great Asian horror films that just never got enough exposure, but from the outside it seems like there's only a really good one maybe every other year.

Ringu, I Saw the Devil, and The Host are definitely some of the best of their decade though, no question.

Edit: Is Inside French? I never saw it. Anyway I included a bunch that aren't American on both lists so I guess we're just talking East vs. West

A Tale of Two Sisters, Audition, Shutter, Three... Extremes (I love this one), Noroi (very slow burn with a huge payoff), Bedevilled...

Just naming a few in case you're looking for some recommendations!

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

They've been coming out with some gems. Have you seen The Tunnel? I've heard pretty good things.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1735485/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Australian horror is simply killing it. At least the stuff that makes it to American distribution. The ones I've seen are all so different from each other and so very very good.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

How do you not mention Lake Mungo, which is head, shoulders,and like, probably nipples above all those others

That and Babadook and a bunch more. It's an embarassment of riches in the Aussie horror scene.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Australian horror is extremely good. Picnic at Hanging Rock, while not strictly horror, is another good example of how they make disquieting films so well

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Watching Pumpkinhead right now and Joel might be in my top 5 biggest pieces of poo poo movie list.

Also, there needs to be more movies involving the magic and folklore of mountain folk.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 6, 2015

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.

DeimosRising posted:

I know I'm a couple pages too late but Lake Mungo has my favorite jump scare ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neumonic posted:

I know I'm a couple pages too late but Lake Mungo has my favorite jump scare ever.
Mine too, it's my favorite jump scare of all time, even beating out the one in Mulholland Drive.