Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Ohh, ok I think there's an issue with children and going to burrows because they want to constantly play. I guess I'm gonna have to get creative and assign bedrooms near my lava pit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I started a new fort and in my first two waves of migrants, I now have six legendary weapons smiths

I gotta find some iron stat before they go nuts trying to create some kind of artefact of a sword

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah the stockpile menu is a little unintuitive. You'd expect selecting nothing in a category to be the same as selecting everything in a category, because logically there's no reason you'd want a nothing stockpile, but it doesn't actually work that way

I end up setting my finished good stockpiles based on material, instead of type. All rocks can go to one stockpile. Cloth, silk, and leather will basically always be clothes and can go to another. Metal is a little more annoying because armor counts as a finished good so I have to go in and unclick all the armor types if I don't want my gauntlets in the same stockpile as my trading stuff

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It turns out cats actually will stay in a pen zone.

Any ideas for dealing with the agitated birds that keep showing up? I lose like 5 people a year to them and training marksdwarves is all I got so far.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If nothing else, you can build ceilings over any crucial outdoor structures (grass will continue to grow and animals will be completely fine penned in an area without sunlight as long as it used to get sunlight). Wood is harder, but depending on your map, the caves might be a safer source than the outdoors.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't think I've ever seen agitated wildlife so far, which is strange because I exclusively play in high savagery areas. Tons of giant animals, but no agitated ones.
What do you need to do to make them show up?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Every embark I've done in "untamed wilds" has had a pretty constant stream of agitated birds starting from around a year in or so

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, every single embark I've done since like day 2 of the steam release has been either untamed wilds or joyous wilds, and I don't think I've seen a single agitated animal so far. Do you need to mess around on the surface to get them? I usually prefer to gather wood in the caverns.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

hmm my ranged dwarves wont pick up any bolts even on equip/always
and the ammo icon is red like i dont have any, even though i have like... 300 bolts and arrows
theyre just walking around with empty quivers

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hbag posted:

and the ammo icon is red like i dont have any, even though i have like... 300 bolts and arrows

People were saying it's a bug with equipment. Tell them to use the archer equipment preset and they'll pick up bolts, even if you change the equipment later

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

hbag posted:

Also are your bolts in bins? Archers might be unable to take from bins.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

skooma512 posted:

It turns out cats actually will stay in a pen zone.

Any ideas for dealing with the agitated birds that keep showing up? I lose like 5 people a year to them and training marksdwarves is all I got so far.

"be underground", agitated flying stuff can be trapped and meleed if they're forced into a single z-level high passageway

hbag posted:

dealing with marksdwarves this version is the most convoluted, esoteric buggy poo poo possible where it's 50% "do a lot of song and dance that may or may not work" and 50% "pray to your local deities"

quote:

Potential bandaid fix for squads equipped with a crossbow not picking up ammunition: Create a new squad, during the squad creation (not afterward), select the default crossbow uniform and use that. That should allow those dwarves to pick up and equip bolts. If you create a custom uniform, or switch to the crossbow uniform after squad creation, the dwarves won't be able to equip the bolts.

quote:

Ok, so I was able to get this working with a new uniform. I still had to create a new squad, but I was able to assign a custom uniform. I also had lots of bolts in a stockpile, but those were ignored. I was only able to get this to work when I deleted my ammo stockpile, I also had to customize my crafted goods stockpile to not carry quivers or steel. Once I crafted new bolts at the magma forge they finally picked them up and started training. Hope this helps

"Putting your ammo in stockpiles that don't include bins" may or may not also be a requirement, as well as "craft your own ammo and don't buy it"

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 31, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'd be more keen on monster slayers if they actually did the job they said they came here to do, having someone patrol the caverns once in a while would be nice. As it stands all you're getting when you accept them is a professional seatwarmer at the local tavern.

Also, I have never really had problems with dwarves grabbing ammo out of bins, so I'm not sure if that's the issue.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 31, 2022

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Even if you get it all to work properly, the current tactic of the marksdwarf is to run towards the target while shooting until in close enough range to bash the werebuffalo with their *tower cap wooden crossbow*. Certain combat behaviors could use some touching up.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Hoping Marksdwarves get fixed in the next patch. They're so useful when they work right.

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, every single embark I've done since like day 2 of the steam release has been either untamed wilds or joyous wilds, and I don't think I've seen a single agitated animal so far. Do you need to mess around on the surface to get them? I usually prefer to gather wood in the caverns.

Yeah. Fishing, gathering, chopping trees, etc on the surface seems to be what agitates wildlife.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

Are goblin thieves an exception to that? I only had a 1 level high surrounding a 2 level “keep” over the stairs into the fort proper. I spotted some thieves heading in so I raised the drawbridge in the curtain wall and they immediately gave up and walked back off the map

I think non-natural climbers/fliers will only try to jump and climb things if they're actively in combat.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is there any reason to bother with different types of crafts for selling when I can just have a one dwarf sweatshop making, say, mugs?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Sometimes you'll get trade agreements that pick one craft type or another as extra valuable. If you don't want to fine-tune your production every time this happens, just making "crafts" will give you a boost.

It also gives you some insulation if you get a "export of mugs prohibited" thing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gnoman posted:

Sometimes you'll get trade agreements that pick one craft type or another as extra valuable. If you don't want to fine-tune your production every time this happens, just making "crafts" will give you a boost.

It also gives you some insulation if you get a "export of mugs prohibited" thing.

Is the extra valuable craft almost always some low value leather crap -quivers, waterskins, backpacks, etc.- for anyone else?

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

Zeruel posted:

Ohh, ok I think there's an issue with children and going to burrows because they want to constantly play. I guess I'm gonna have to get creative and assign bedrooms near my lava pit...

Lure them with toys.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

What settings do I need to change to stop my dwarves wasting time hauling goblin single teeth, feet, etc. from an outdoor battle site to an outdoor refuse/corpse stockpile?

"Workers ignore outdoor refuse" is on, but I'm guessing these teeth and bodyparts don't count. I could turn those items off in the stockpile, but then I feel like they won't haul up junk from, say, the butcher's...

Nosre fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 31, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can always forbid goblin corpses specifically from the stockpile, it will include the body parts
There's little point in hauling it away if it's out of the way anyway.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nosre posted:

What settings do I need to change to stop my dwarves wasting time hauling goblin single teeth, feet, etc. from an outdoor battle site to an outdoor refuse/corpse stockpile?

"Workers ignore outdoor refuse" is on, but I'm guessing these teeth and bodyparts don't count. I could turn those items off in the stockpile, but then I feel like they won't haul up junk from, say, the butcher's...

You could disable "goblin" in your corpse/refuse stockpile and they won't get hauled. If you want them to haul whole corpses you can just disable them from the refuse pile. Type "goblin" into the search bar at the top right of the stockpile interface to easily disable that stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nosre posted:

There's a setting somewhere, I think in a different tab but the same screen as "ignore outdoor refuse", about automatically forbidding dead people during sieges or whatever.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Seems like there's no perfect way to automate it then. Disabling "goblin" parts is a good idea, but then they won't clean up ones that get inside. And forbidding works too but you'll have to re-do it every single siege.

Thanks all

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

On another note, how sweet is this? Did some quick forbidding and got very lucky with a mood

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Finally, some excitement :hellyeah:

Unfortunately I just sent half my military on a very, very long trek across the world to demand tribute.

Initially, I thought I'd try to wait it out until my other squad returned, but then this guy had to wander right up to it.

But it's okay because it turns out I have the Dwarven John Wick on my side. His name is Udil Regthibam and he is 84 years old.

Okay, so Udil walks up to the dragon and the very first thing he does is embed his axe firmly in its skull. So firmly that he loses possession of it. Then after Udil takes his axe back, the dragon whacks him in the finger so bad that the resulting shockwave obliterates his left elbow. Udil loses his shield. He spits out a campy one-liner and then roundhouse kicks the dragon in the face, stunning it.

That's when his compatriot Sigun Lokumroldeth, the Elite Wrestler steps in. Sigur has been training non-stop for around 4 years and is a dwarven terminator. He has a hammer and he just hits the stunned dragon in the head over and over.

All in all, pretty uneventful. But that's when I'm reminded that for some reason, all of my soldiers have been carrying children with them during their training drills. And... and they carried those children into battle with the fire-breathing dragon.

It initially looked like we took down a dragon with no wounds beyond a shattered elbow, but... three of the soldiers lost their 0 year old children in the fight :smith:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 31, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nosre posted:

Seems like there's no perfect way to automate it then. Disabling "goblin" parts is a good idea, but then they won't clean up ones that get inside. And forbidding works too but you'll have to re-do it every single siege.

Thanks all

Just forbid goblins from your refuse pile, and make a garbage dump. Then you can specifically mark goblins that make it inside for dumping, and your dwarves will haul them there instead.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

In my current fort i got multiple "we have found the treasure of the gods!", Resulting in like 6 artefacts. I put them on pedestals in the inn behind green glass, does that work for mood or what should I be doing with them?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Son of Rodney posted:

In my current fort i got multiple "we have found the treasure of the gods!", Resulting in like 6 artefacts. I put them on pedestals in the inn behind green glass, does that work for mood or what should I be doing with them?

Nope, it's gotta be able to be walked over to generate the good mood. It DOES make the room super-valuable though, so at least there's that

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Are artifacts less likely to get stolen if they’re in a display case as opposed to just sitting on a pedestal?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Some worlds are weird. Of the 35 dwarves in my new fort, 7 are legendary weaponsmiths, and 2 are legendary metalcrafters.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I have a water buffalo corpse that is quite healthy and if I unseal it it comes and murders all my dwarves. The hell

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Asterite34 posted:

Nope, it's gotta be able to be walked over to generate the good mood. It DOES make the room super-valuable though, so at least there's that

Oh, too bad, but that's something.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I have some injured dwarves, but my doctors won't tend to them. I have the hospital set up and fully stocked, and the other labors turned off on the doctors. Is this a bug?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cowman posted:

I have a water buffalo corpse that is quite healthy and if I unseal it it comes and murders all my dwarves. The hell
Did you embark in an evil biome, or has a necromancer been by?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

GreenMetalSun posted:

I have some injured dwarves, but my doctors won't tend to them. I have the hospital set up and fully stocked, and the other labors turned off on the doctors. Is this a bug?

Do you have a table and a traction bench available? Some wounds can only be treated on those.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

A legendary engraver came to my fort, and now my 20 dwarf strong fort has architecture to rival the palaces of the gods

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Do you have a table and a traction bench available? Some wounds can only be treated on those.

Yeah, i have some traction benches installed in the hospital, tables too.

Looks like this:

Here's the zone screen or whatever:

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Jazerus posted:

you need to tell the stockpile what materials and quality of items you want in there too. if you only select types the dwarves will throw up their hands and say "no materials are allowed and no quality levels are allowed, so nothing is allowed"

it's part of the same menu where you set it to accept amulets, etc.

OK, this was it. I didn't realize that the settings were all required, I thought you could be as vague (or specific) as you'd like. Works now, thanks.