Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
The Disaster Baru Cormorant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

dihaploidy posted:

Chiming in during Baru chat to complain once again that there's no sign of a kindle version of The Monster Baru Cormorant showing up on Amazon in Australia, regardless of whether browsing from the .com or .au addresses :(

I've tried the tricks previously mentioned in the thread involving US based addresses, incognito mode, and VPNs, but none of them have let me see a kindle version to buy.

Does anyone know if there are any other kindle compatible options for buying an ebook version of it?

If you can find a DRM-free .epub (format for basically any reader that isn't an amazon kindle) version for sale in your region, you can use Calibre to convert it to kindle-compatible .mobi format

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Future titles in series:

The Black-Faced Baru Cormorant

The Crowned Baru Cormorant

The Red-Faced Baru Cormorant

The Bounty Baru Cormorant

The White-Breasted Baru Cormorant

The Red-Legged Baru Cormorant

The Flightless Baru Cormorant

The Long-Tailed Baru Cormorant

The Australian Pied Baru Cormorant

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

General Battuta posted:

It was gonna be Tyrant but now that the series is 4 books not 3 I want to save that one for last. I'm still kinda stumped on book 3, gotta get one of those 2 syllable words that fits the themes...

And so it starts.
I guess we will get Tyrant in book 9 then?
Cause once the story expands beyond 3, there is no stop (ex the expanse, Got).

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The Warlord Baru Cormorant

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Trochee Baru Cormorant

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Permabanned Poster Baru Cormorant

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bilirubin posted:

The Permabanned Poster Baru Cormorant

Not empty quoting this.

For content, try Susan R Matthews' Jurisdiction series if you like a little BDSM in your ethical dilemma SF.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

The Black-Faced Baru Cormorant

Just 400 pages of, "It was a different time. I've grown and learned since then. I'm sorry for any pain I've caused. I'm a different, better person now."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cardiac posted:

And so it starts.
I guess we will get Tyrant in book 9 then?
Cause once the story expands beyond 3, there is no stop (ex the expanse, Got).

No joke, literally, Robert Jordan initially planned Wheel of Time as a trilogy.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Baru of a Space Cormotyrant: Traitor
Baru of a Space Cormotyrant: Monster

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
It seems like the theme is two syllable words that work as epithets (alternately: work as video game boss names) and also have pretty strong negative connotations. I like Warlord as mentioned above or Leader, but they're probably not negative enough. Devil or Demon could work depending on where the story is going. Terror could be an option. Maybe Shadow? It's a tough challenge when three of the best options are already taken

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
the Democrat Baru Cormorant 

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, what about something like 'Blight', 'Scourge', 'Menace', 'Bane', or perhaps 'Vile'? Admittedly I haven't read the Baru Cormorant books (yet! I intend to, but I need to cull my to-read pile first) but well, who doesn't like throwing words at a wall, to see what sticks? :v: They might not be the right 'kind' of word though, I guess.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, what about something like 'Blight', 'Scourge', 'Menace', 'Bane', or perhaps 'Vile'? Admittedly I haven't read the Baru Cormorant books (yet! I intend to, but I need to cull my to-read pile first) but well, who doesn't like throwing words at a wall, to see what sticks? :v: They might not be the right 'kind' of word though, I guess.

Baru Cormorant: Threat or Menace?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

papa horny michael posted:

the Democrat Baru Cormorant 

the greatest sin

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
the poster baru cormorant

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Increasingly Obnoxious Forced Meme Baru Cormorant

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

dihaploidy posted:

Chiming in during Baru chat to complain once again that there's no sign of a kindle version of The Monster Baru Cormorant showing up on Amazon in Australia, regardless of whether browsing from the .com or .au addresses :(

I've tried the tricks previously mentioned in the thread involving US based addresses, incognito mode, and VPNs, but none of them have let me see a kindle version to buy.

Does anyone know if there are any other kindle compatible options for buying an ebook version of it?

i had the same problem during preorder, posted the same thing here then too.

no one from Tor or Amazon responded to an email so I gave up.

The Unread Baru Cormorant

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
The Terror Baru Cormorant

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The Schism Baru Cormorant

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Centrist Baru Cormorant.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Sanders Bernie Cormorant

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

It probably would be a pretty good trilogy if it only followed the protagonist, instead of following him, his friend, his ex, his other friend, a girl who likes him, the town witch, the other girl who likes him, his teacher, his friends' wife, his fencing teacher, the other other girl who likes him, and his ex's beau, and those are only the POVs with more than 20 chapters.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Statistical_analysis

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

The Sanders Bernie Communist

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

It probably would be a pretty good trilogy if it only followed the protagonist, instead of following him, his friend, his ex, his other friend, a girl who likes him, the town witch, the other girl who likes him, his teacher, his friends' wife, his fencing teacher, the other other girl who likes him, and his ex's beau, and those are only the POVs with more than 20 chapters.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Statistical_analysis

Yeah, we all know this part, but it should be pointed out that the whole POV thing only became egregious after something like book 5-6.
Until that point, the WoT series was and is a solid fantasy series with some excellent epic scenes.

But hey, at least the series is done with a somewhat decent ending compared to other well known examples that is never going to be finished.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Cardiac posted:

But hey, at least the series is done with a somewhat decent ending compared to other well known examples that is never going to be finished.

Personally, I thought Sanderson's writing was so egregiously bad I'd have preferred it not have been written. There were very few surprises at all, as it was.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

Personally, I thought Sanderson's writing was so egregiously bad I'd have preferred it not have been written. There were very few surprises at all, as it was.

IMO the ending of a large series is not when you start doing surprises since it is mostly tying story lines together in an epic way. Especially in the cases like WoT where prophecies is an important part of the story.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
tugs braid intensifies

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Wikipedia says that the original plan was six books. Still absurd that it dragged out as long as it did.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Wikipedia says that the original plan was six books. Still absurd that it dragged out as long as it did.

Technically, the original plan was "three to six." It depends on whether you mean "original" as in "from conception" or "from EotW publication" though.

https://dragonmount.com/forums/topic/40087-so-was-wot-supposed-to-be-a-trilogy/

Basically Jordan initially thought it would be three books and that was his initial pitch to Tor, but Tor had him sign a six-book contract anyway.

(I know far too much about the Wheel of Time)

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

A planned trilogy that turns into 6 (or 13) books is in some way better than the cases where the author wrote one book and then the publisher wants an entire series out of it.
The former at least means there should be some overarching plot line behind it, instead of something glued on afterwards.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Cardiac posted:

IMO the ending of a large series is not when you start doing surprises since it is mostly tying story lines together in an epic way. Especially in the cases like WoT where prophecies is an important part of the story.

I think good writing often means prophecies are fulfilled in surprising ways, and that our expectations of what is going to happen are violated.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

I think good writing often means prophecies are fulfilled in surprising ways, and that our expectations of what is going to happen are violated.

I guess that means that you liked Bakkers unholy consult?
good writing is a matter of taste here, unless you are botl

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I'm reading Ruin of Kings right now. I almost skipped it because whenever anyone says "Epic Fantasy" I get twitchy flashbacks about Wheel of Time/Game of Thrones/Rothfuss, but so far it's pretty enjoyable. I'm getting a strong sense that it draws on the world of Vlad Taltos for some of its inspiration, but I think the writing is a little more engaging.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

2018 Nebula Finalists

Who's ready for God of War to win best game writing?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I think I need Novik's Spinning Silver. I really enjoyed Uprooted and that might be in same spirit if I'm looking right.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

2018 Nebula Finalists

Who's ready for God of War to win best game writing?

It's not bad, apparently. And they also nominated three Choice Of titles, which is cool.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Man, I like Trail of Lightning, and it's great to see more representation and fantasy from a different framework than just reworked Tolkein/DND or whatever, but it's hard for me to see that as book of the year. Granted, I haven't read the rest of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

Man, I like Trail of Lightning, and it's great to see more representation and fantasy from a different framework than just reworked Tolkein/DND or whatever, but it's hard for me to see that as book of the year. Granted, I haven't read the rest of them.

It's the only nominee I've read too, but just from gut reaction I have to agree. It was a cool book and a refreshingly different take on standard Urban Fantasy tropes, but the actual plot and prose weren't totally glowing or anything. It was firmly the kind of book that I finish and think "That was neat, I'm excited to see that writer do more"