Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

marjorie posted:

e: Also, is it worth getting the GOTY edition of Tomb Raider?
No, almost all the DLC is cosmetic. There's one piece of singleplayer DLC, Tomb of the lost adventurer, which adds a short side area, I'd say it's not worth it but it's about 30p so whatever. If you really want to you can pick up one of the other DLC to give Lara a coat and feel less bad about your virtual person being in the cold wearing just a tank top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
RE: Mount and Blade: Warband - sounds like the new Viking DLC is also on sale (only 20% off though), but sounds like it's quite buggy.
Might take that off the wishlist, as there's so many excellent free mods out there.

On another note - the game Carribean was also based on this build I think, and while it's still EA, it was also not very good when I tried it out a few months ago.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/293010/

I guess it's best to go with the reg Warband game, then go to the Warband thread (is there still one?) to fine the good mods.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 28, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Huh, was hoping This War of Mine would have a better discount than 25% as a daily.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Huh, was hoping This War of Mine would have a better discount than 25% as a daily.

It's a brand new game that's selling really well. At best you'd get 33%.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Faraday Cage posted:

No, almost all the DLC is cosmetic. There's one piece of singleplayer DLC, Tomb of the lost adventurer, which adds a short side area, I'd say it's not worth it but it's about 30p so whatever. If you really want to you can pick up one of the other DLC to give Lara a coat and feel less bad about your virtual person being in the cold wearing just a tank top.

Oh man, I do love giving my virtual characters coats, but is multiplayer actual poo poo in this game, or are the mp DLC map/weapon packs just unnecessary (in other words, why does everyone dismiss the DLC only based on paltry single player offerings)? I have a friend who recommended the game, so I thought we might be able to do mp, but if it's not well designed or if the DLC doesn't add anything significant, then I'll probably just give the whole lot a pass.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
The jank is part of M&B's charm.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

marjorie posted:

Oh man, I do love giving my virtual characters coats, but is multiplayer actual poo poo in this game, or are the mp DLC map/weapon packs just unnecessary (in other words, why does everyone dismiss the DLC only based on paltry single player offerings)? I have a friend who recommended the game, so I thought we might be able to do mp, but if it's not well designed or if the DLC doesn't add anything significant, then I'll probably just give the whole lot a pass.

It adds a few MP maps, which is refreshing if you can get a game going. For SP, it's mainly cosmetic upgrades but also a handful that makes the game easier (XP boosts, skill boosts, and two new pistol options). None of it is really necessary, though, and arguably the SP stuff makes the game less fun.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Tippis posted:

It adds a few MP maps, which is refreshing if you can get a game going. For SP, it's mainly cosmetic upgrades but also a handful that makes the game easier (XP boosts, skill boosts, and two new pistol options). None of it is really necessary, though, and arguably the SP stuff makes the game less fun.

Gotcha. Thanks, guys; I'll think on it and hopefully remember to decide before the deal ends!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

What am I looking at?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Towerfall Ascension, it's a great 4-player smash-esque game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It's a powerup in Towerfall that makes the screen scroll horizontally. It's kinda rad while playing but utterly baffling when no context is given.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

victrix posted:

I still have yet to play or pick up Mount & Blade, literally every single video or stream I've seen of it looks insanely janky, and yet it has universal praise. What am I missing?

As the name the suggests the game features mounted combat and actually gets it right and fun. Whens the last game you played that actually featured horseback fighting and it wasn't completely gimmicky and awkward? Add in some RPG elements where you level up yourself and your bodyguards, then some very basic feudal lord system where you can personally control holdings (which range from small villages, to castles, to towns/cities), and finally you can even rebel against everyone and start your own kingdom and take over the entire map.

I highly recommend it, I even load up the game now and then so I can horse around and roleplay a knight in full armor, lancing dudes at full speed (which is a one hit kill and way more fun than it sounds)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Also the best part is the game settings let you customize how you want to Mount & Blade - damage to you and to the armies are separate settings so you can make yourself basically a hero unit able to take on swarms of goons singlehandedly, or no stronger than a regular grunt and need to actually use the army strategy commands to the fullest.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

I highly recommend it, I even load up the game now and then so I can horse around and roleplay a knight
:buddy:

Orv
May 4, 2011

KoldPT posted:

The jank is part of M&B's charm.

Jank and "Does not work at all in places" are two different things. Viking Conquest is currently the latter.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fart of Presto gifted me Baldur's Gate 2. Thanks :)

Wishlists really need the ability to divide games into categories, like the library got.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 28, 2014

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Kin posted:

Does anyone know how the digital versions of warcraft 3/starcraft are over at Blizzard? I've got the original disks for them somewhere but gently caress knows where, so i figure getting the digital versions would aleviate the hassle.

Also, is there a reason why Warcraft 1 and 2 don't seem to be available. Like are Blizzard just distancing themselves from them from a brand perspective or are they notorious for not working on modern systems or something?

I plugged my WC3/SC keys into my Bnet account so I wouldn't lose them and they've worked fine for years.

I emailed Blizzard asking where I could buy Warcraft 2 because it's probably my all-time favorite game and they told me to look for a used copy on ebay or amazon. It runs great with dosbox on Windows 7, I beat it every year or so.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Burning Rain posted:

Which one of these would be best in local co-op with my SO whose reflexes/controller handling skills lag behind mine due to not wasting their lives on video games? To me the different skill levels is always the biggest problem with local multi.

This is a late reply and you may not get it but hey!

So I'm actually in a similar boat to you.

The best answer? Buy a Wii-U + Mario World + Donkey Kong + Nintendoland + Hyrule Warriors + Pikmin 3 + Mario Kart 8+Upcoming Kirby+Upcoming Starfox. There are also great SP games for yourself like Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, upcoming Zelda, and some other ones. It's really good for couch co-op games between skill levels. Plus they hold resell value but okay, enough of that. Maybe I'll have planted the seed :twisted:

Now for Steam:

LEGO Games. Casual Beat-em-up - collectathon - adventure title. Really take your pick of your favorite series. Most mechanics haven't changed much, maybe minor refinements here and there. Very casual but fun for all levels. It's a bunch of re-enacting movies and things while smashing blocks, collect-a-thoning things N64-style and just having a fun adventure.

Rayman Legends The BEST couch casual co-op platformer on the PC. If she's like my girlfriend, she may get frustrated at some of the levels where the screen forces you to move from left to right but they're fairly rare.

Castle Crashers Fun little beat-em-up sidescroller. Pretty fair for all skill levels. Though it does have some juvenile poop/fart joke style humor at times.

BattleBlock Theatre Same devs as Castle Crashers so similar art and humor at times. But it's a platformer than a beat-emup.

Trine 2 I think you already mentioned you own this so try it.

Guacamelee Side-scroller metroidvania-like game. Pretty casual for the most part. (One thing that kinda sucks is you cant co-op right off the bat, you have to play a bit and unlock the ability iirc).

Then for competitive-casual couch play, Sonic All-Stars Transformed is the second best racer ever, and the best racer on the PC. Mario Kart 8 is better :colbert:

That's really all I can think of that are couch co-op and casual. When you boil it down, it's pretty slim pickings for couch co-op games that are casual-ish. Roguelikes like RoR/Spelunkly are gunna cause problems, trust me :(

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 28, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So, Steam Goons. I have now idled and sold enough cards that I can pick up Crusader Kings II, just the base, no DLC. I've read some really cool stuff/LPs about it, is it worth $9.99?

marjorie
May 4, 2014

RickVoid posted:

So, Steam Goons. I have now idled and sold enough cards that I can pick up Crusader Kings II, just the base, no DLC. I've read some really cool stuff/LPs about it, is it worth $9.99?

What is your Steam name? Alternatively, friend or message me (if we're already friends): http://steamcommunity.com/id/EmptySkyWriter

radlum
May 13, 2013
Have Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition or South Park been daily deals yet?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Yeah, they both have been. Check steamprices.com for the prices.

Anyone actually played Doorkickers yet? Is it actually fun or is it kind of tedious and boring? Reviews say "overwhelmingly positive" and it looks like a solid game, but just for a specific taste.

Anyway, hoping for sales on Lethal League and Starwhal as far as multiplayer games go.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Faraday Cage posted:

I'd feel less bad about Lara if she stopped losing chunks of herself when I screw up :smith:

Apr 23, 2002
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. Wait...
Anyone see the issue where Steam won't allow you to vote? I'm logged in, but if I click on the voting button, I get the message "You need to login to be able to vote."

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dudebro posted:

Anyone actually played Doorkickers yet? Is it actually fun or is it kind of tedious and boring? Reviews say "overwhelmingly positive" and it looks like a solid game, but just for a specific taste.

It's the planning stage of the old Rainbow Six games meets a puzzle game. It's probably the best puzzle game released this year in fact.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

marjorie posted:

What is your Steam name? Alternatively, friend or message me (if we're already friends): http://steamcommunity.com/id/EmptySkyWriter

This guy is awesome. Hopefully humble bundle will e-mail the link to the game for me soon. Thanks Marjorie.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Xaris posted:

LEGO Games. Casual Beat-em-up - collectathon - adventure title. Really take your pick of your favorite series. Most mechanics haven't changed much, maybe minor refinements here and there.
Actually while the main gameplay staid the same not all LEGO games are equal - the new better open-world breed statrted with Batman 2 and all games after it are as great and way better than the earlier ones. If you're a fan of Tolkien Hobbit is simply better than LOTR. There are also a couple of outright bad LEGO games like the Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribeen.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

255 posted:

Anyone see the issue where Steam won't allow you to vote? I'm logged in, but if I click on the voting button, I get the message "You need to login to be able to vote."

I had it ealier. Either try your browser/client (whichever you're not using) and try again, or just wait half an hour.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Palpek posted:

Actually while the main gameplay staid the same not all LEGO games are equal - the new better open-world breed statrted with Batman 2 and all games after it are as great and way better than the earlier ones. If you're a fan of Tolkien Hobbit is simply better than LOTR. There are also a couple of outright bad LEGO games like the Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribeen.

I will not have you (very vaguely) insult LEGO Star Wars in such a round-about and indirect manner. :argh:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Palpek posted:

Fair enough, I didn't even play or know IJ or POTC was on Steam.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

LEGO Indy 1 and LEGO Star Wars The Complete Saga are still fantastic, you shut your hole.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

Fart of Presto gifted me Baldur's Gate 2. Thanks :)

Wishlists really need the ability to divide games into categories, like the library got.

Yeah. I tend to stick interesting early access stuff on there just so it's easier to follow. It doesn't mean I want to get it anytime soon.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Two old Farts playing video games badly is up again (we made sure the game worked first).
Fart of Presto and I are playing Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris.
Hopefully the voice chat can be heard.
Feel free to join us if you have the game.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kragger99/
http://steamcommunity.com/id/fartofpresto/

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

Mount and Blade: Warband - it's not very pretty but it's an incredibly deep medieval RPG/adventure with a similar framework to Sid Meier's pirates except with everything occuring in realtime.

If you haven't already, buy Warband. This description is pretty much spot on (though I don't think anyone would classify it as an RPG, really). Imagine Pirates but instead of stupid minigames you get to drive-by lance a motherfucker, then put on some full plate and a shield and siege a castle. It's one of my favorite games on Steam.

vv For me, just vanilla multiplayer. But the mods looks super cool and the multiplayer is decent. But yeah, SP is where it's at.

Macavity fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 28, 2014

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
So this is probably a dumb question but when people talk about how rad Mount and Blade is are they talking about the Singleplayer or the Multiplayer? I've had it on my steam account forever but never really got into it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

So this is probably a dumb question but when people talk about how rad Mount and Blade is are they talking about the Singleplayer or the Multiplayer? I've had it on my steam account forever but never really got into it.

Singleplayer with modded campaign. Check the M&B thread.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
Thanks to steam goon Sloth Speedskater who gifted me The Darkness II out of nowhere.!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Tippis posted:

I will not have you (very vaguely) insult LEGO Star Wars in such a round-about and indirect manner. :argh:

Deakul posted:

LEGO Indy 1 and LEGO Star Wars The Complete Saga are still fantastic, you shut your hole.
LEGO Star Wars is the only LEGO game I 100%ed at the time, it's great for a fan but I would still kill if they made a new Star Wars one that would play like LEGO Marvel. I even made a photoshop a few years ago commemorating my commitment to the game:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Phew.
Crisis averted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I recently upgraded my internet.

They said it would be much faster but this is ridiculous.

• Locked thread