Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ray Allen really is a basketball autist isn't he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Both he and Rondo are like the exact same person. Only Rondo was a rookie and grew up with KG Pierce and all of them so he feels a connection with them all.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Can't agree. They were never the favourites besides 2008 and were actually a pretty big surprise to make it in 2010.

I see what you are saying and yes in reality injuries, old age, and an inability to improve the roster caught up with them. But going off of their first season I think we all expected more from the Big 3.

And I bet you KG, Paul Pierce, Big Baby, Rondo, and Perk would all agree and Ray Allen is a convenient scapegoat for why they didn't win more.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I see what you are saying and yes in reality injuries, old age, and an inability to improve the roster caught up with them. But going off of their first season I think we all expected more from the Big 3.

And I bet you KG, Paul Pierce, Big Baby, Rondo, and Perk would all agree and Ray Allen is a convenient scapegoat for why they didn't win more.

Their scapegoat is that they never lost a series where everyone was healthy. It doesn't seem like they blame him so much as just hurt the way it ended.

Edit: Besides Rondo who clearly hates that motherfucker.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Dexo posted:

By Far? I mean Outkast's run is about equally insane.

I agree with you but you can't Stockton-to-Malone the GOAT award. It's just one person.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Can't agree. They were never the favourites besides 2008 and were actually a pretty big surprise to make it in 2010.

They would probably have repeated in 2009 if Garnett hadn't hurt his knee. Certainly they were the favorites, they won 62 games and had a 7.44 SRS even though he only played 57 games and several of them were after the injury and he was useless. If he's healthy for the playoffs they definitely beat Orlando and Cleveland and probably the Lakers - a much worse version of the team took them to 7 the next year.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

This is pretty sad on multiple levels, not angry sad but sad sad. What's there to gain to socially isolate yourself like this

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
poor ray allen, living his life in a shack on top of a hill, alone

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Libertine posted:

It's by far the best run of all-time in rap music. Nostalgic arguments about GOAT in rap are just as bad as ones in the NBA. Early 90s rappers are the 60s Celtics of rap GOAT discussions.

In this analogy, is Illmatic the Wilt Chamberlain in that it would still dominate today?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Salvor_Hardin posted:

In this analogy, is Illmatic the Wilt Chamberlain in that it would still dominate today?

Illmatic is Devin Booker's 70 point game if he makes like Brandon Jennings and never scores over 35 ever again

Sugar Hill Gang is the fact that Bob Cousy couldn't dribble with his left hand

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Eminem is Adam Morrison

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Who's Post Malone?

nvm I think I already know

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

LeBron is Drake then :)

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Gil Scott-Heron is George Mikan

I'm New Here would be like if Mikan came back aged 80 and played 12 minutes off the bench for the 2002 Lakers, then died a week after the finals.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 9, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The entirety of Tribe called Quest would be Wilt.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Stevie Lee posted:

Anyone else getting NBA Playgrounds today?

Yeah, it's fun.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Damian Lillard would be ... Damian Lillard? Weird.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Nas is the Derrick Rose of rap. One great album/MVP that everyone remembers and casual fans put on an enormous pedestal even though he's done nothing but produce mediocre crap ever since.

pre:
WS (Best to Worst)	1	2	3	4	5	6	7
Derrick Rose		13.1	6.0	6.0	4.9	1.2	0.4	-0.2
Nas                     Illm    ItWW    GdSn    Stlm    StDi    LfIG   Nast

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Libertine posted:

Nas is the Derrick Rose of rap. One great album/MVP that everyone remembers and casual fans put on an enormous pedestal even though he's done nothing but produce mediocre crap ever since.

pre:

Lmao Sorry someone couldnt live up to literally one of the best albums made of all time. It was Written, Stillmatic, and Life is Good are really really good projects. Maybe not MVP level but very much All-NBA second or third team type albums.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Libertine posted:

pre:

I was gonna say Macklemore is the Derrick Rose in that his MVP is universally understood to be undeserved. Maybe Steve Nash is a better comp.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Even God's Son/HIp Hop is Dead/Untitled/Street's Disciple have some dope songs
it's not like he did the hip hop version of his knee constantly exploding into infinity

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
magic johnson was almost easy e

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Nas is definitely Shaq

25% mind blowing poo poo and 75% coasting on his rep

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Nas is definitely Shaq

You are way undervaluing Shaq or didn't watch the NBA until he left LA.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Nas is definitely Shaq

Hahaha this is great. They were also both in their best shape in 1994.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

C'mon, you think Biggie and Em could sell 10 million against modern streaming services and file sharing networks? No way, and they didn't train YouTube mixtapes back then so they'd have no way to adjust

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://streamable.com/8tu5s

david lee nooo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nas and Lupe have the same problem. Inability to pick beats.

Rick Ross is the Robert Horry of rap. Good at picking beats/team and floating with that beat to a good outcome. Not good unless he's on a good team

Lupe is Rondo, abrasive hates his coach/company but when he wants to actually go in he can put together a masterpiece like Tetsuo and Youth still.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dexo posted:

Lmao Sorry someone couldnt live up to literally one of the best albums made of all time. It was Written, Stillmatic, and Life is Good are really really good projects. Maybe not MVP level but very much All-NBA second or third team type albums.

Illmatic aged really badly and is pretty homophobic

Also Takeover is way better than Ether

Libertine posted:

Hahaha this is great. They were also both in their best shape in 1994.

Related: why is Heat Shaq on the 2k cover instead of Magic Shaq

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Robert Horry is more like Inspectah Deck

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lockback posted:

You are way undervaluing Shaq or didn't watch the NBA until he left LA.

Or maybe I just like Nas?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
DJ Khaled is Phil Jackson.

edit:

quote:

magic johnson was almost easy e
:lol:

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 9, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

My rational brain accepts this because the Ether beat/vibes just aged so much more poorly than Takeover but my lizard brain still refuses to abide by this poo poo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

1. No it hasn't. Illmatic is still good with amazing production.
2. Please find me the rap before like 2010 that wasn't homophobic as gently caress

Yes Takeover is better than Ether as an actual music composition.

When Ether first dropped though it was loving insane though. Like even Jay-z's crew at the time was like yeah. Nas roasted us.

Like as something I want to listen to for music it would be Takeover. If Takeover was a knife stabbing you. Ether was a sledgehammer just relentlessly going at you. Less elegant, but satisfying all the same.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 9, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Essentially, Takeover is James Harden, Ether is Russel Westbrook.

Like theres a reason people use ethered when referring to a rap diss track.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 9, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

This couldn't be more wrong. (Besides the homophobic part, but that was the rap scene back then). Illmatic still bangs, hard.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

IIRC, Ray Allen would expect the other guys to show up to his charity events but would blow off anyone else's.

lol that's cool.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Declan MacManus posted:

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Premier's beat on NY State of Mind still sounds amazing today.

e: Nas' rap is obviously still legendarily good.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Y'all listing rap albums like posers while I sit here and listen to Rob Thomas like a real NBA fan.

• Locked thread