Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zen surfer is a pretty good personality for him. Each character has their own distinct personality that I think will gel well. We also have Jameson, Fury, Coulson, May, MJ, Flash, Harry, Norman, Connors, Octavius, Stan "the janitor" Lee, and probably a few more I'm forgetting. Hell of a cast so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

404GoonNotFound posted:

Somehow, making Iron Fist a teenager has increased his maturity. Don't ask me how this works, it just did.

It grows on you. You hate it at first, but 8 or so episodes in you're singing along and you don't know why. It's a common documented reaction.

Yeah it's pretty much an earworm.
It sucks the first time you hear it, it's hilarious the next time, and by episode 8 you're singing along.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
If only it didn't have the lyrics of a Linkin Park song

OUR WORLD'S ABOUT TO BREAK
TORMENTED AND UPSET

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Zeeman posted:

This is the only time that line isn't terrible, because the Earth could be literally split in two on any given Avengers workday.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Chaos Hippy posted:

This is the only time that line isn't terrible, because the Earth could be literally split in two on any given Avengers workday.

Considering the craters in and around Manhattan after the Graviton battle last season, they've got a pretty good start going as it is.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Die Laughing posted:

Zen surfer is a pretty good personality for him. Each character has their own distinct personality that I think will gel well. We also have Jameson, Fury, Coulson, May, MJ, Flash, Harry, Norman, Connors, Octavius

Oh yeah! I did very much enjoy them using a "Master Planner" rendition of Doc Ock. Turns out the overweight over-the-hill shy nerdy guy kinda sucks in a battle, but put him in a behind-the-scenes role and he really shines. :3:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He might be in the planning role now but Dr. Octopus will come out to fight at some point.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I didn't really enjoy Ultimate Spider-man a lot of the writing came off as contrived or corny to me. I can't help but compare it to Spectacular spider-man in terms of design, and I really don't like the models they used. The animation also seems cheaper in certain spots.

It was still totally enjoyable, but it wasn't the great show I wanted.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Oh hey, the season premiere of Avengers is up for free on iTunes in HD for those (like me) that missed it. Definitely a solid start to the season, every Hulk and Thing interaction was gold.

Zeeman fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 3, 2012

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

404GoonNotFound posted:

It grows on you. You hate it at first, but 8 or so episodes in you're singing along and you don't know why. It's a common documented reaction.

Yeah, no. I could never hit my 30s skip button fast enough back when that awful thing was there. Not that I listen to the narration either, but that's just about not wanting to waste time.

You and that guy that agreed with you are crazy.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

AzraelNewtype posted:

Yeah, no. I could never hit my 30s skip button fast enough back when that awful thing was there. Not that I listen to the narration either, but that's just about not wanting to waste time.

You and that guy that agreed with you are crazy.

Nah, it's basic psychology. It's the entire reason companies continue to use cheesy theme songs after decades and decades to begin with. If you enjoy the show then you basically get conditioned to associate the song with whatever positive feelings watching the episode gives you. Then when you hear the song play, you get a conditioned response and those feelings start happening even before the episode begins. Smells are supposedly the best at this kind of thing, but music works extremely well, too.

Some people are of course less prone to conditioning, so there's that, but it sounds like you just never listened to the intro. If you don't listen to it every time then this effect isn't really going to take place.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Zeeman posted:

If only it didn't have the lyrics of a Linkin Park song

TORMENTED AND UPSET

I don't like that they lazily rhymed one with won, when done would have been the more artistic choice.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

XboxPants posted:

Nah, it's basic psychology. It's the entire reason companies continue to use cheesy theme songs after decades and decades to begin with. If you enjoy the show then you basically get conditioned to associate the song with whatever positive feelings watching the episode gives you. Then when you hear the song play, you get a conditioned response and those feelings start happening even before the episode begins. Smells are supposedly the best at this kind of thing, but music works extremely well, too.

Some people are of course less prone to conditioning, so there's that, but it sounds like you just never listened to the intro. If you don't listen to it every time then this effect isn't really going to take place.

So what you're saying is 404 is a brainwashed zombie? I stand by my assertion. :colbert:

And yes, I listened to it once or twice when I was catching up on some evening reruns on Disney XD while putting up my Christmas tree back in 2010. I didn't even realize I had Disney XD until I checked my guide and tested on a lark while looking for some noise to put on. Started recording reruns and live Sunday morning episodes right then and there. Still, I hate it and gladly endorse its destruction. If anything I'm conditioned to reach for my remote anytime I hear bits of it.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Finally got caught up to a few weeks' backlog of shows.

GL is impressing me more than I thought; the plots are obvious a mile away, but it's an entertaining simplicity.

Young Justice also seems to be finding it's footing. Plots are beginning to congeal, irritating quirks are getting less screen time while the JL (and Captain Marvel) are getting more.

Avengers was awesome, or rather Doom was awesome. This show continues to put a big stupid grin on my face.

USM I'm mixed on. A lot of the humor fell flat, especially the overused Ferris Bueller and chibi moments. Then again, I felt the same way about Teen Titans when it was first on and I ended up enjoying that a lot. I just expected a show with such a pedigree (Dini, Man of Action, Bendis, et al) to wow me more than it did. I was also under the impression this show was in the same universe as Avengers, but between Klaw and some spoiled Avengers cast that clearly isn't the case, which is kind of a letdown for some reason. Still, JK Simmons and Janitor Lee, so it isn't all bad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Young Justice, has it gotten any better? I haven't caught up since its return, but I can't bring myself to care all that much.

Same question for GL, actually. Granted, I only watched the first episode, but wasn't really wowed there either.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

ASM Annual #1: Spider-Man accepts an invitation to join the Avengers, but is put to a test. He must capture and bring in the Hulk to become a member.

Is it ever explained why someone like Janet Van Dyne can be a part of Avengers while Spidey has to take on the goddamn Hulk to show his prowess? Besides the answer being COMICS! and all?

Also, if you dislike Iron Fist then you obviously haven't read The Immortal Iron Fist by Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction. After that you'll treasure any exposure you can get :)

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So Cap's a Skrull, yes? I wonder how many episodes until they find out?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I didn't hate Ultimate Spider-Man, and my four year old thought it was awesome. Another goddamn show we've got to watch every week. I'm a lucky guy to have a daughter that gives me a good excuse to watch funny book cartoons all the time.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone else think they're setting up characters in Green Lantern to come back a bit later on as other Lanterns? That spider guy running the prison with the yellow crystals seems like he'd be a good Sinestro Corps member and the queens brother in the last episode would be a good Orange Lantern if they make them regular corps rather than just the one guy. Did they mention Sinestro at all in the first two episodes? Wonder if they're going to have him as a GL or have him already be a disgraced former GL when he comes in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An interesting thing about the Green Lantern series is how they haven't shied away from death at all. You have stuff like Razer's motivation for joining the Red Lanterns is his wife dying as well as all the frontier Green Lantern who drop like flies.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

TwoPair posted:

Speaking of Young Justice, has it gotten any better? I haven't caught up since its return, but I can't bring myself to care all that much.

I don't really think it was ever bad, aside from Meg'an's horrible writing in the earlier episodes, which was toned down by the halfway point of the season. It's definitely one of the better DC shows put out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Didion posted:

Is it ever explained why someone like Janet Van Dyne can be a part of Avengers while Spidey has to take on the goddamn Hulk to show his prowess? Besides the answer being COMICS! and all?

Because she already had. The Avengers came together because Loki had set the Hulk up in order to distract his brother. Not sure if that was explictly in the Spidey case, but I'd buy the logic of 'we all fought the Hulk, so you have to do it too, if you want in'.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think something should be said for the fact that Janet is very public about being the Wasp. I mean, John Q. Marvel-Citizen may not really know Janet Van Dyne or Steve Rogers, but at least they can put a face to the name. Spider-Man wears a mask. Anyone could be under there. Why... HE COULD BE A MENACE :jjjsay:

But seriously, the Avengers' identities (as of now) are all public aren't they? Except for nobody knowing what the hell the Hulk is, and maybe Black Panther.

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't really think it was ever bad, aside from Meg'an's horrible writing in the earlier episodes, which was toned down by the halfway point of the season. It's definitely one of the better DC shows put out.

Huh, guess I'll give it another shot then.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

Because she already had. The Avengers came together because Loki had set the Hulk up in order to distract his brother. Not sure if that was explictly in the Spidey case, but I'd buy the logic of 'we all fought the Hulk, so you have to do it too, if you want in'.

"We all fought the Hulk, collectively, so you have to do it too, but alone. Also, this will never be a condition of membership to the Avengers ever again. Happy Hulk hunting, Spidey!"

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That sounds like classic Silver age dickery to me. Or a hazing thing like a snipe hunt. He's supposed to spray paint a guy green and beat the poo poo out of him on film or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

"We all fought the Hulk, collectively, so you have to do it too, but alone. Also, this will never be a condition of membership to the Avengers ever again. Happy Hulk hunting, Spidey!"

Well, Cap wasn't around for that. Maybe he misunderstood. "Gosh, you've all fought the Hulk? Well, that must be the calibre of folks we need. Young man, you need to prove you can pull your weight as much as Miss Van Dyne or Mr Stark....s bodyguard. "

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Huh, guess I'll give it another shot then.

There's actually an in universe explanation as to why Miss Martian spouts an annoying catchphrase. She bases a lot of her personality (and human form) on a failed 80s sitcom called "Hello Megan."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Young Justice is better when it isn't so drat dark or depressing. Zatanna is a good character and having her paired with Robin is a nice twist, as is the Superboy and Miss Martian pairing.

But there's a reason Captain Marvel is everyone's favorite. It's because he's fun and innocent and bright and not depressed like everyone else in the show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Young Justice is better when it isn't so drat dark or depressing. Zatanna is a good character and having her paired with Robin is a nice twist, as is the Superboy and Miss Martian pairing.

But there's a reason Captain Marvel is everyone's favorite. It's because he's fun and innocent and bright and not depressed like everyone else in the show.

Just like he is in the comics, right? :v:

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

TwoPair posted:

But seriously, the Avengers' identities (as of now) are all public aren't they? Except for nobody knowing what the hell the Hulk is, and maybe Black Panther.

I assume everyone knows the Black Panther is ruler of Wakanda. People seem to just assume the Hulk is the Hulk and wouldn't know Bruce Banner if they hit him in the face.

Hawkeye too maybe, he's sort of just some secret agent schlub.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

muscles like this? posted:

There's actually an in universe explanation as to why Miss Martian spouts an annoying catchphrase.
It really doesn't make it any less irritating though. But, I still say that Robin's catch-gimmick is way, way more annoying than Miss Martian's. The epitome of shoehorned in is in that one episode where he pulls his motorcycle up next to Superboy, and apropos of nothing, says "So, if dislike is the opposite of like, is disaster the opposite of aster?"

Caught Avengers today and it seemed like it established that Doom has a way to detect Skrulls. In the Secret Invasion, nobody had a way (except 3d-man or whatever) until Reed finally invented a Skrull detector, right? Just curious how that will change the storyline.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Doctor Doom taking a kick to the chest from the Hulk kind of blew my suspension of disbelief for a bit. I'm not asking for his sternum to come flying out his back from the sheer force, but only being pushed back a little? Is his armor just really heavy?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Reo posted:

It really doesn't make it any less irritating though. But, I still say that Robin's catch-gimmick is way, way more annoying than Miss Martian's. The epitome of shoehorned in is in that one episode where he pulls his motorcycle up next to Superboy, and apropos of nothing, says "So, if dislike is the opposite of like, is disaster the opposite of aster?"

Caught Avengers today and it seemed like it established that Doom has a way to detect Skrulls. In the Secret Invasion, nobody had a way (except 3d-man or whatever) until Reed finally invented a Skrull detector, right? Just curious how that will change the storyline.

I think they kinda removed it from the equation by having Tony blast the machine to pieces just cuz.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

TheHan posted:

Doctor Doom taking a kick to the chest from the Hulk kind of blew my suspension of disbelief for a bit. I'm not asking for his sternum to come flying out his back from the sheer force, but only being pushed back a little? Is his armor just really heavy?

Force fields and such. He probably punched Hulk out of the castle because he knew the next hit would be a lot more damaging. Of course Doom would say something like "Doom could not allow that green ape to continue to befoul my ancestors castle" or some poo poo.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Been rewatching the second season of Spectacular Spiderman, still great.

I love the fact that Venom just bursts into the Daily Bugle and goes, "gently caress IT! PARKER'S SPIDERMAN!"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

ASM Annual #1 starts out with the Avengers wanting to just offer Spider-Man membership, but some of the Avengers relent. I think one of the dissenters was Hawkeye, which leads to the standard "WEREN'T YOU ON TEH WRONG SIDE OF THE LAW AT ONE POINT????" scene. So they come up with a "test" (for some dumb reason, they're all busy that day) for Spidey to bring in the Hulk so the Avengers can try to cure him.

Then Spidey chases the Hulk around, and eventually Hulk turns back to Bruce Banner. Spider-Man the geeky scientist goes "I KNOW HIM! That's Bruce Banner! how could I turn him in????" and that is the story of how Spider-Man will never become an Avenger.

Also I think there was a scene of Wasp hitting on Spidey.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 5, 2012

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

ASM Annual #1 starts out with the Avengers wanting to just offer Spider-Man membership, but some of the Avengers relent. So they come up with a "test" (for some dumb reason, they're all busy that day) for Spidey to bring in the Hulk so the Avengers can try to cure him.

Then Spidey chases the Hulk around, and eventually Hulk turns back to Bruce Banner. Spider-Man the geeky scientist goes "I KNOW HIM! That's Bruce Banner! how could I turn him in????" and that is the story of how Spider-Man will never become an Avenger.

Also I think there was a scene of Wasp hitting on Spidey.

I like how they never gave any other member any kind of test whatsoever in joing the team, let alone defeating the loving Hulk!

I bet the team just started laughing uncontrollably once Spiderman left the mansion.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, they only wanted The Hulk because they wanted to help cure him. But Spider-Man didn't know that, because the Avengers didn't tell him. Because they're dicks.

Also, The Wasp is seriously just the worst.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Actually, they only wanted The Hulk because they wanted to help cure him. But Spider-Man didn't know that, because the Avengers didn't tell him. Because they're dicks.

Also, The Wasp is seriously just the worst.

Hank Pym knows how to keep her in line. So does the blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

bobkatt013 posted:

Hank Pym knows how to keep her in line. So does the blob.

Boooooo! Boooo, Bobkatt013! Booooooo!

• Locked thread