Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I also ordered Castles of Burgundy since it was $25 and I don't really own any "proper" Euro-games, plus it just looks fun and thinky and has been getting a lot of hype on BGG- I'll post a trip report once I've actually played it, I'm interested in seeing how my group reacts to it.
I just played this for the first time yesterday. It's good, but tends to run a lot longer than the box suggests (I've heard that even games with experienced players can take 2+ hours easy). There are dice, but a bad roll won't usually sink you, unless you didn't manage your workers wisely -- each worker allows you to modify a die roll by one.

By the way, if anyone enjoys light, high-speed puzzle games, I can't recommend Uluru enough. Players have a bunch of colored birds to place around an island. Each bird has a wish about where it wants to be in relation to the other birds. You get about 30 seconds to place them. It's loving hard as poo poo, but really fun and rewarding when you can pull off a "perfect" setup. Unfortunately, the game wasn't ever published in North America, but I found a copy at Game Surplus and I've heard that a few other places occasionally get copies in stock as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

WhiteHowler posted:

By the way, if anyone enjoys light, high-speed puzzle games, I can't recommend Uluru enough. Players have a bunch of colored birds to place around an island. Each bird has a wish about where it wants to be in relation to the other birds. You get about 30 seconds to place them. It's loving hard as poo poo, but really fun and rewarding when you can pull off a "perfect" setup. Unfortunately, the game wasn't ever published in North America, but I found a copy at Game Surplus and I've heard that a few other places occasionally get copies in stock as well.

Uluru isn't a goddamn island :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

War of the Rings: We didn't go through the rules as thoroughly as would have been optimal so I'm sure we played this incorrectly. It was alright: I played as Sauron and pretty much swept Rohan and Gondor before they could do much, and from then on the writing was on the wall. I think I would need another try to really judge it since as I played it, it felt a little bit off. I can't recommend it or not at this point.

War of the Ring is a truly epic game, but it has some flaws that were only corrected in the expansion. If you play again without it, use the Galadriel Rule: if Lorien has not fallen, then once per game you can use an Elven Ring to remove all corruption from the Ringbearer.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

We love Ricochet Robots around here, this looks fantastic. How dare you tempt me with an unobtainable product

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Tekopo posted:

No Retreat!: I have been recommended to try this GMT game about the eastern front in WWII and by far it's one of the best depictions I have yet managed to play. The game is both light on rules, easy to learn and yet manages to achieve a pretty high level of accuracy: we only did the Barbarossa scenario and it ended with me doing a desperate dash for Moscow, capturing it in the middle of the russian winter and managing to just barely hold on. We probably mangled a few rules but it was a lot of fun and I can't wait to try out the full campaign.

A cool game for cool dudes. Be sure to get the latest living rules as they improve the game quite a bit.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

bobvonunheil posted:

Uluru isn't a goddamn island :colbert:
Oh. Well, the rules are in German, and the artwork makes it look like an island.

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?
Hey guys I hope someone can help me with the following and recommend me a game. My friends and I are enjoying playing axis and allies and settlers. Problem is we are looking for a game that combines both elements into one game. So basicly trading resources and building cities or/and units like in settlers while also having battles for territories or resources like in axis or risk. Is there a game that has this while also having a cool map and maybe not be in space or futuristic?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

puschel posted:

Hey guys I hope someone can help me with the following and recommend me a game. My friends and I are enjoying playing axis and allies and settlers. Problem is we are looking for a game that combines both elements into one game. So basicly trading resources and building cities or/and units like in settlers while also having battles for territories or resources like in axis or risk. Is there a game that has this while also having a cool map and maybe not be in space or futuristic?

I can't think of anything offhand that's exactly like that... but it sounds like your group might like Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York? It doesn't have resource trading per se, but it has resource drafting and resource stealing.

But if it's the trading of Settlers you like and the direct attacking of Risk, it just sounds like you want a game with tons of politics and direct interaction, and the potential to either help or harm your opponents, which is pretty much Wars of the Roses.

Also, it features a heavy dose of simultaneous action selection, which is the best mechanic ever.

Downside is it handles maximum four players, and you really want exactly four.

xopods fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 9, 2012

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I was browsing through BGG and saw this giant effortpost on 7 Wonders. It's, uh, certainly something.

Has anyone ever played BattleCON? I looked into it based off that minigame library Kickstarter I posted yesterday, but the game seems like Yomi but doesn't cost $100. Is it any good?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Board gamez yesterday.

First we played a quick Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel At Mt. Skullzfyre. Game's still fun but I'm not gonna miss an opportunity to write that name.

Then on to the meat of the evening. Last weekend we played that Drizz't D&D board game and I quite liked it. So the guy who owned it brought over the 2003 D&D board game because he loves it and it doesn't get played enough. And I can see why. It adds a whole bunch of complexity while not really providing anything significantly more fun. Searching for traps, failing and then inching through every room square by square as traps triggered back enemies we'd killed five times over wasn't exactly the height of fun either.

Oh well, there were three D&D players of various editions around the table so we all had a reasonably OK time but I don't want to play it again.

Then we played Thunderstone Advance. This time we tried a variant where we randomized normally, then shuffled the level 1 monsters (Kobolds), level 2 monsters (Avians) and level 3 monsters (Undead trees), then stacked them so all the level ones were on top. And it did make for a speedier start, but also brought along some new problems. Like the Kobold Laird being ridiculously strong as a starting monster (his health equals the combined health of all Kobolds shown in the dungeon at the time. In this case: three) and the Ranger's special ability (reveal top dungeon card, get +1 attack against monsters of that type) is also quite good.

I think next time we'll split the level 2 monsters and shuffle one half in with the level one monsters, then one half with the level 3 monsters to give some variety. How do you guys randomize monsters for Advance?

Anyway, game's still a loving blast. Two first time Thunderstone players at the table, one guy who owns every single original Thunderstone card and played Advance for the first time. He was super skeptical going in but ended up agreeing with all the changes they've made to the game, which was good to hear since that was my read on the game too. I posted here a few months ago about us playing the original Thunderstone and liking the general idea, but not some rough parts about the game. And Advance does really smooth away most, if not all of these. Can't wait for the first expansion.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 9, 2012

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I second the recommendation of Uluru. Timewellspentgames.com and Funagain.com also carry it as well as gamesurplus.com. You can always email gamesurplus under their contact page and they'll let you know if/when they expect it.

Space Alert will be coming up for auction this week on BGG. Look for user lorna.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I bought Cyclades :ohdear: hope it's as good as hyped. Also a shitload of Descent lieutenants for like 1/3 of RRP. Just to confirm, the LTs in Descent 2 will be the 3 Farrows and 3 new LTs?

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

puschel posted:

Look at Attack!
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6752/attack

It is similar to Risk but has a most of the elements you are looking for.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

puschel posted:

If it wasn't nearly impossible to find these days, I'd suggest Avalon Hill's Advanced Civilization. It does exactly what you want, and is a great game to boot - albeit with a 6-12 hour play time. I've given some serious thought to making my own set.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
See Advanced Civilization is a game that would work great for Kickstarter. Except Hasbro owns the rights to it. I'd back that even though I already have three copies.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

I finally broke down and preordered Mice and Mystics. I love games where you wander around and work up your character trying to defeat a big bad guy (Descent, Runebound, Order of the Stick, Talisman, Arkham Horror), so this game looks right up my alley.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

I want Mice and Mystics because it just looks so drat :3:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lorini posted:

See Advanced Civilization is a game that would work great for Kickstarter. Except Hasbro owns the rights to it. I'd back that even though I already have three copies.

I would back that. :smith:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sherrard posted:

Except for the centipede :gonk:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 9, 2012

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Sherrard posted:

Yeah, it's basically been mandated as an auto-buy here because of ~mice~

Lorini posted:

I second the recommendation of Uluru. Timewellspentgames.com and Funagain.com also carry it as well as gamesurplus.com. You can always email gamesurplus under their contact page and they'll let you know if/when they expect it.

Thanks! I actually found a copy on Amazon. This game will be a good contrast to Ricochet Robots where you're racing against your opponents to get the solution. I remember one time teaching it at a games meetup and this one poor guy sat there the entire game without seeing a single solution in time, I felt so bad for roping him in.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
People have been talking up Super Dungeon Explore so I finally went to go check out reviews and Vasel opens up talking about how you have to build the minis and that is almost instantly a total dealbreaker.

How bad is it? I hate everything to do with minis.

Blistering Sunburn
Aug 2, 2005
Anybody have thoughts on Eminent Domain? I already own and like Dominion and Puerto Rico, which both seem to be ancestors of Eminent Domain in terms of mechanics. I'm wondering:

1. if it's a good game, period.

and

2. if it's different enough from those other two for me to pick it up.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Blistering Sunburn posted:

Anybody have thoughts on Eminent Domain? I already own and like Dominion and Puerto Rico, which both seem to be ancestors of Eminent Domain in terms of mechanics. I'm wondering:

1. if it's a good game, period.

and

2. if it's different enough from those other two for me to pick it up.

I would say that it is different enough from those other two, but I personally find the game dull and lifeless. Nothing against the mechanics, but playing it just feels dry. This is perhaps my bias against deckbuilders showing, though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Eminent Domain is decent, but always feels to me like it needs some expansions.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Drox posted:

People have been talking up Super Dungeon Explore so I finally went to go check out reviews and Vasel opens up talking about how you have to build the minis and that is almost instantly a total dealbreaker.

From what everyone has been saying, the minis seem like the entire point of the game. Or at least a big part of the allure.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 9, 2012

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Drox posted:

2-3 hours of assembly apparently.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Crackbone posted:

2-3 hours of assembly apparently.

The dragon's a bitch. If you don't want to deal with the minis, look elsewhere.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Would you say Super Dungeon Explore is kind of tailored to people who already have experience putting together and painting minis? I didn't get all the way through Vasel's review, but I guess it probably is since its from a miniature making company.

Serotonin's painted minis are beautiful and if those were straight out of the box I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. I've got zero experience w/ miniatures so I'm sure I'd have more pieces glued to my hands than on the characters and the paint job would probably be similar to that.

Also, has anyone tried out Quarmaggeddon? I was super excited for it a few months ago, forgot about it and now its out!

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Anybody have thoughts on Eminent Domain?

I quite like Eminent Domain, and our group has got a fair amount of play out of it. It plays very fast with little downtime, it's easy to teach, and it has a fair number of interesting decisions to make.

In terms of how it compares to the other games you mention: to me, it plays much more similarly to other role selection games (particularly Race, which it displaced in our group) than other deckbuilders (I wouldn't even really describe it as a deckbuilder, despite obviously having that as a mechanic). The key non-trivial skill in ED is anticipating opponent's role choices, and setting up your hand (and, over time, your tech) to eke out value. I find this leads to satisfying decisions about what to keep in hand every turn, and longer strategies about what roles to focus on and techs to go after.

One thing it does have in common with Dominion is the importance of the game end timer and how fast it's being pushed. If you play ED competitively - especially with more than 3 people - there's strategies that will end the game long before many other strategies become viable. While I love short games, I'm hoping the expansion (which is in progress) deals with this somehow and gives some support to bigger, slower engine type strategies.

Anyways, solid game.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Funso Banjo posted:

From what everyone has been saying, the minis seem like the entire point of the game. Or at least a big part of the allure.

I was interested in a light Descent-alike but the minis really sour me on it. Oh well. I'll wait for more impressions on the actual new version of Descent. :v:

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Tekopo posted:

War of the Rings: We didn't go through the rules as thoroughly as would have been optimal so I'm sure we played this incorrectly. It was alright: I played as Sauron and pretty much swept Rohan and Gondor before they could do much, and from then on the writing was on the wall. I think I would need another try to really judge it since as I played it, it felt a little bit off. I can't recommend it or not at this point.

I've only played the second edition, but that said the game is really phenomenal. Having a good grasp of the rules is key, though, because although they aren't very complex there can be pretty big consequences if you get some things wrong. In the first game I ever played we misunderstood the rules regarding how many times an army was allowed to move in a turn (we misread once per action die as once per turn). This lead to my Sauron army feeling a bit sluggish (although it also lead to a turns long siege of Minas Tirith that was epic).

Still, even with a few rules misunderstandings, the game ended with the Ringbearers getting the ring into Mt Doom with no more corruption to spare. One of the best board game endings I've ever been a part of, second only to the game of BSG that I also lost on what was literally to be the last turn of the game.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
How am I supposed to get my hands on Space Alert?!?!? Why does it always have to be out of print?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
So, myself and two friends are attempting to tackle Arkham Horror for the first time tonight. I'm reading through the rulebook so I have some idea beforehand but are there any things I should know going in?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Don't be afraid to quit the game after 3 hours.

Make it so another player always reads you your event card so you don't know the consequences of your action until you choose it. Also keeps other players interested in the game.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

So, myself and two friends are attempting to tackle Arkham Horror for the first time tonight. I'm reading through the rulebook so I have some idea beforehand but are there any things I should know going in?

Go to board game geek, download the flowcharts for turn sequence, and be prepared to gently caress up a bunch of rules before you start.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

Have fun with your unintentional houserules. You're going to gently caress it up, everybody fucks it up, don't worry too much about it.

One person (for my group it's me, and it'll probably be you) is going to be stuck pretty much being GM and managing the entire board. It's easier than everyone doing it, but it does kind of suck :(.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I haven't browsed these threads before, but I'm a pretty big board game geek.

I own a copy of Space Alert, but have never opened it. It was a gift from a friend, and I don't know, I guess I wasn't into it.

After reading the OP, I guess I know what we're playing this Thursday during our normal boardgame night.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Have fun with your unintentional houserules. You're going to gently caress it up, everybody fucks it up, don't worry too much about it.
I game with Richard Launius (co-designer of Arkham) every few months, and even he says the rules are just a rough guideline, that everyone plays their own way, and that the atmosphere and feeling of teamwork are way more important than playing "correctly".

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Inverse Icarus posted:

I own a copy of Space Alert, but have never opened it. It was a gift from a friend, and I don't know, I guess I wasn't into it.

You have the greatest friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Campbell posted:

Would you say Super Dungeon Explore is kind of tailored to people who already have experience putting together and painting minis? I didn't get all the way through Vasel's review, but I guess it probably is since its from a miniature making company.

Serotonin's painted minis are beautiful and if those were straight out of the box I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. I've got zero experience w/ miniatures so I'm sure I'd have more pieces glued to my hands than on the characters and the paint job would probably be similar to that.

Hard for me to comment totally objectively as I have close to 25 years of experience in miniature painting modelling.

They are much much easier to put together than something such as a Games Workshop plastic figure. Most come in 2 parts and the way they are designed is basically slot and tab and the figure only fits together 1 way (if that makes sense). Most of them fit so well that you could get away with no glue (although that wouldnt be a good idea longevity wise). Someone with limited or no experience could put them together with a small amount of hassle I guess.
As for paitning them, well you can get away without painting them, as they still look pretty good, although one downside of not painting them is that the type of plastic they use seems to react slightly with superglue and leave a white misty finish around the areas that have been glued. No problem structurally, but cosmetically it looks a bit off. Painting them obviously hides this.

Saying that the big boss figure, Starfire, is a nightmare to put together and took all my modelling skills and experience to make look good. Its a shame because the rest go so well together. Apparently Soda Pop plan on making the models in further expansions single piece because I think they realise that its putting off people who would otherwise probably love the game. It really is a fun game, fairly easy to get even non gamers into (like my wife).

• Locked thread