Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

I constantly look through blisters of finecast models and i have yet to find any mini i would buy. I can live with clearing flash but i aint fixing the bubbles on there.

It's pretty bad that the new rulebook even says "Hey, there might be bubbles, but finecast is cool, just brush on some greenstuff, kthx". Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

I constantly look through blisters of finecast models and i have yet to find any mini i would buy. I can live with clearing flash but i aint fixing the bubbles on there.

While the bubbles are bad, I'm particularly fond of the frequency with which the mould just isn't filled with resin, resulting in entire chunks of detail missing.

Sprue frame through the head like a novelty shop arrow is also hilarious.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I just mounted mine on random bits of plastic rubble I had lying around. I'm considering rebasing my army onto the Dragonforge Sanctuary series, in which case I would probably grab the Diorama set from the bottom of the page and use those bits instead.

edit; Didn't finish cutting and filing the basing surface, ignore the ugly edges.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Miles O'Brian posted:

I just mounted mine on random bits of plastic rubble I had lying around. I'm considering rebasing my army onto the Dragonforge Sanctuary series, in which case I would probably grab the Diorama set from the bottom of the page and use those bits instead.

edit; Didn't finish cutting and filing the basing surface, ignore the ugly edges.

Not sure I dig the sanguinary packs on them, but that's a personal opinion. I like the classic jump packs, and the necromunda wings I have are great for making grognards jealous.

These are good, but again I was hoping for something a tad...more urban. Now I just need 4 inferno pistols. Too bad inferno pistols are worth more than gold.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 5, 2012

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Deviant posted:

These are good, but again I was hoping for something a tad...more urban. Now I just need 4 inferno pistols. Too bad inferno pistols are worth more than gold.

Are inferno pistols similar to appearance to either hand flamers or infernus pistols? 'cos I have a few of those I don't really need?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
They're just chopped down Death Company hand flamers, rather than the inferno pistols.

On a related note, I'm flip-flopping on the Sanguinary Guard jump packs something fierce. I don't really like them that much in retrospect. I went for these because the regular seraphim jump packs are extremely 2d and flat, I wanted something more three-dimensional. I hate the necromunda wings for the same reason (no offense). I just think that layed out next to eachother like that, there isn't enough variation. I'll probably go back to the regular Seraphim packs.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 5, 2012

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Are inferno pistols similar to appearance to either hand flamers or infernus pistols? 'cos I have a few of those I don't really need?

No, Inferno pistols are the melta pistol ones like Blood Angels carry. I prefer them to the flamer models, and I already have actual GW Seraphim with 2xFlamer.

Edit: Didn't see you said Infernus pistols. Yes, it's those.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Inferno_Pistol

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Deviant posted:

No, Inferno pistols are the melta pistol ones like Blood Angels carry. I prefer them to the flamer models, and I already have actual GW Seraphim with 2xFlamer.

Yeah, infernus pistols - I may have a couple of spares kicking around, I'll let you know. Only just dug all my BA stuff out to finish it off after 9 months so not 100% sure what I do and don't have.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Miles O'Brian posted:

:words: about jump packs.

I think the wings are too bulky, and on the whole I don't care for wings on human models. Still searching for a suitably 'grand' jump pack to replace Celestine's cloak (though I don't hate the cloak.) Seraphim are supposed to be sleek and agile. I'm running a mixture of Necromunda wings and classic 'phim packs A) to get a nice aesthetic and B) because the wings are only available on the $17each Yeld Spryer and I have what I have.

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, infernus pistols - I may have a couple of spares kicking around, I'll let you know. Only just dug all my BA stuff out to finish it off after 9 months so not 100% sure what I do and don't have.

Ok, get back to me. PMs, Deviant749 on aim, or Legitimateemail AT gmail.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 5, 2012

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Look, let me dream okay?

I was thinking of making grot Imperial guardsmen as an allied detachment for my orks. Can I get away with having a priest as my sole HQ choice, or does the HQ selection have to fill up an HQ slot? I was thinking a priest with an eviscerator (Blood Bown grot w/ Chainsaw), a veteran squad (meltagrots) riding in a looted Vendetta, and a Manticore. All crewed by grots.

Total points: 430
In the FAQ it states:
"Q: Can Ministorum Priests or Techpriest Enginseers be taken as the mandatory HQ choice?
A: No. You will need to take another model to be your Warlord."
Personally, I would convert a Goblin Shaman model to be a counts-as Primaris Psyker.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Look, let me dream okay?

I was thinking of making grot Imperial guardsmen as an allied detachment for my orks. Can I get away with having a priest as my sole HQ choice, or does the HQ selection have to fill up an HQ slot? I was thinking a priest with an eviscerator (Blood Bown grot w/ Chainsaw), a veteran squad (meltagrots) riding in a looted Vendetta, and a Manticore. All crewed by grots.

Total points: 430

He's not kidding (well, maybe he was), they really are doing finecast blisters.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So modelling ideas for my jetpack infantry space marines:

1) Using a dreadknight chassis sort of
2) Hellion platforms with a ton of greenstuff
3) Necron destroyer bodies, either the whole thing, or just the jet intake/nozzle/thruster whatevers.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yet another Eldar question that wasn't clarified in the FAQ: Fuegan's Fire Axe gives him +1S (for a total of 5) and allows him to "attack as a monstrous creature (ignores armour saves, rolls 2d6+5 for armour penetration)"

I think it's fair to infer from this that the Fire Axe has AP2. However I'm wondering whether it allows Fuegan to make Smash Attacks? The ability to get two S9 attacks at Initiative 7 when necessary would make him pretty beastly in melee.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 5, 2012

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So, which allies would be cool for BA? I'm thinking about Tau, but I*m afraid that a new codex coming out for them might ruin the broadsides and Crisis suits I'd take. Also I kinda wish I'd be a vanilla marine right now instead of BA, they feel a bit weaker in 6th compared to vanilla marines.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Perestroika posted:

Yet another Eldar question that wasn't clarified in the FAQ: Fuegan's Fire Axe gives him +1S (for a total of 5) and allows him to "attack as a monstrous creature (ignores armour saves, rolls 2d6+5 for armour penetration)"

I think it's fair to infer from this that the Fire Axe has AP2. However I'm wondering whether it allows Fuegan to make Smash Attacks? The ability to get two S9 attacks at Initiative 7 when necessary would make him pretty beastly in melee.

If he fights as a monstrous creature, doesn't he ignore Unwieldy, too?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Der Waffle Mous posted:

If he fights as a monstrous creature, doesn't he ignore Unwieldy, too?

I don't think he gets either of those. It says he 'attacks as' a monstrous creature, not he 'is' a monstrous creature. "Smash" is a rule a monstrous creature has, which modifies its attack. I don't know if I'm articulating this correctly.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Looking for advice on Tau, since I have ADD when it comes to 40k.

With flyer possibly making a large impact on the game do any of you expect to see TL-Missle pods more than Plasma/Pod/Multitracker combo?

Two TL-BS3 shots get more hits on average than three BS3 shots. With charge ranges increasing, slower transports moving flatout and rapid fire threatening longer distances do you think it's worth the extra ~19pts per suit to try and jump close to shoot four shots?

It seems Stelek is under the impression that TL-Missile Pods are a better loadout not only for keeping a larger gap but also for getting re-rolls VS fliers.

I'm a total noob at tau (and 6th) so I am asking for some opinions.

Also, here are two lists I whipped up.

Plasma Rifle/Missile Pod/Multi Tracker list:

TL-Missile Pod list:

I allied Orks because they are almost best buddies and I couldn't stomach spending points on Kroot. Also Nob Bikers are a lot better now. 5++/5+FNP all your lascannons and powerfists :frogc00l:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SRM posted:

In the FAQ it states:
"Q: Can Ministorum Priests or Techpriest Enginseers be taken as the mandatory HQ choice?
A: No. You will need to take another model to be your Warlord."
Personally, I would convert a Goblin Shaman model to be a counts-as Primaris Psyker.

Does an allied detachment need a Warlord? If you don't, I'd lean that you should be able to take one, since you explicitly could in the previous FAQ.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soviet Commubot posted:

Direct quote from the rulebook "You can always check any distance at any time".

Cool. I figure because its in the movement section, hams will go "no you can't!" in the shooting phase.

I feel bad for you guys, besides the problem with Imohtek's cloak, I have not had any issues with finecast stuff besides some bent weapons, which was something that happened with metal minis just as much.

Maybe all the decent finecast gets sent to Canada?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
My FLGS just got in my Gamer's Edition! :dance:
Off to spend money!

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Alright, here's a question:

Can you use Precision Shot to pick out a Hive Tyrant/Swarmlord in a unit of Tyrant Guards?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Does an allied detachment need a Warlord? If you don't, I'd lean that you should be able to take one, since you explicitly could in the previous FAQ.

An allied detachment canNOT have a Warlord.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Deviant posted:

I don't think he gets either of those. It says he 'attacks as' a monstrous creature, not he 'is' a monstrous creature. "Smash" is a rule a monstrous creature has, which modifies its attack. I don't know if I'm articulating this correctly.

Well, there's three possible scenarios here.

-the Monstrous Creature part is irrelevant and he gets the listed bonuses (ignores armor, 2d6 pen)

-the Monstrous Creature part is the relevant bit, but since MC no longer grants inherent special abilities for being MC, it doesn't actually do anything anymore.

-the Monstrous Creature part is the relevant bit, and since MC now grants USRs instead of inherent abilities he gets the ones applicable to when he can use them in close combat (smash attacks, ignore unwieldy, AP2, Hammer of Wrath, reroll penetration)

Edit: and fourth comedy scenario of S9 smash attacks with 2d6 rerollable penetration dice. :getin:

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 5, 2012

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Deviant posted:

Alright, so that being the case, and given that it was explicitly stated you could take a Priest as the mandatory HQ choice in the last FAQ, I'd argue that you could use it for an allied detachment.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Fil5000 posted:

It's pretty bad that the new rulebook even says "Hey, there might be bubbles, but finecast is cool, just brush on some greenstuff, kthx". Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, GW.

Its a shame because I love spending money on toy space mens.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Deviant posted:

Where does it say that? I was looking earlier and couldn't find anything about it.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Where does it say that? I was looking earlier and couldn't find anything about it.

Your warlord has to be selected from your Primary Detachment.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pg109:

PRIMARY DETACHMENTS
This sectionof the Force Organisation chart is reproduced in
many codexes and is integral to building an army. It dictates
the units you can take in the main bodyof your army.All of
the units in your primary detachment must be chosen
from the same codex. Furthermore, your Warlord must be
chosen from your primary detachment (see page 111).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

S.J. posted:

He's not kidding (well, maybe he was), they really are doing finecast blisters.

I assumed as much. I was hoping for a multi part kit.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Looking for advice on Tau, since I have ADD when it comes to 40k.

With flyer possibly making a large impact on the game do any of you expect to see TL-Missle pods more than Plasma/Pod/Multitracker combo?

Two TL-BS3 shots get more hits on average than three BS3 shots. With charge ranges increasing, slower transports moving flatout and rapid fire threatening longer distances do you think it's worth the extra ~19pts per suit to try and jump close to shoot four shots?

It seems Stelek is under the impression that TL-Missile Pods are a better loadout not only for keeping a larger gap but also for getting re-rolls VS fliers.

I'm a total noob at tau (and 6th) so I am asking for some opinions.

Also, here are two lists I whipped up.

Plasma Rifle/Missile Pod/Multi Tracker list:

TL-Missile Pod list:

I allied Orks because they are almost best buddies and I couldn't stomach spending points on Kroot. Also Nob Bikers are a lot better now. 5++/5+FNP all your lascannons and powerfists :frogc00l:

Where do you get your AP2 if you don't take plasma rifles?

On more specific advice, gun drones are poo poo, warboss always takes an attack squid, if you take ork allies you take boyz; leave the big gunz home if it's either/or.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Alright, here's a question:

Can you use Precision Shot to pick out a Hive Tyrant/Swarmlord in a unit of Tyrant Guards?

Yeah, says so in the FAQ. They're ICs for the purposes of look out sir, precision strikes and so on.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Here's an article on those guys who made the actual scale Space Marine suits so they could fight against the minions of Emperor Zurg.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
What's the general opinion on powerklaws for Orks in 6th edition? I've been thinking about it, and it seems pretty easy for them to be singled out and killed before they swing. I can put 'eavy armor on them, but by then we're talking 45 points for each nob.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If you leave the power klaw off your nob you are no friend of mine.

Just stick him in the middle and abuse Look Out Sir as much as you can. He NEEDS to be there.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Blompkin posted:

What's the general opinion on powerklaws for Orks in 6th edition? I've been thinking about it, and it seems pretty easy for them to be singled out and killed before they swing. I can put 'eavy armor on them, but by then we're talking 45 points for each nob.

How can they be singled out? Wound allocation is done by position so if you keep him near the middle-back of the blob he should be fine. Then he gets a 4+ LOS on every incoming wound. Power Klaws kind of own at the moment; I don't think people realize yet that green tide lists can punch vehicles with big blobs all day. They have trouble with flyers but I think big units of Lootas should be able to take them down, snap fire isn't terrible when your guns are designed around being BS2 and have (potentially) high volume of fire.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Blompkin posted:

I say still essential. They're still critical for taking out vehicles and you can bubble wrap them against normal shooting. In challenges there is a risk but so far it seems worth it . I do give them armor.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

He's talking about if another character challenges him in single combat.

Which, admittedly, is going to be a small problem - a close combat character has a pretty decent chance of taking down a PK nob in single combat. But a regular sargeant? He's still gotta put 2 wounds on a T4 WS4 individual, and he probably only has 2 or 3 attacks. They definitely will be worth putting heavy armor on now, but I've always said they were.

Is it only independent characters who can issue a challenge, or can squad-level characters do it too? I can't remember.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 5, 2012

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Fix posted:

Here's an article on those guys who made the actual scale Space Marine suits so they could fight against the minions of Emperor Zurg.

This is awesome. But it would be so much cooler if the hands worked. Like this: http://aternox.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Hand-in-Walkthrough-110401534

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

pw pw pw posted:

Is it only independent characters who can issue a challenge, or can squad-level characters do it too? I can't remember.

Any character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Man, I cannot wait to engage somebody in single combat with ghazkull. Now that abbadon's rocking an ap3 powersword, there is nothing in the universe that can withstand my wrath.

• Locked thread