Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rand
Apr 26, 2003

not bad for a film by M. Night Shamalamadingdong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

surc posted:

If you're fine without the lines being laid down properly as lacquer applied from a katana then YEAH I GUESS YOU COULD RUIN THE WHOLE THING GOD YOU USELESS GAIJIN.

(That is actually the traditional Japanese way to do it, and as a result the lines are slightly raised from the board. I have not seen any chinese or korean goban makers, but I assume it is similar processes because tradition. I'm having trouble finding it at the moment, but there's an old japanese book that details the process. I've been trying to pick it up for a while just for the nifty factor --it's in japanese, so hard for me to use as instructions--, but amazon.jp sellers won't ship it outside of japan :()
Just ship it through Tenso.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Yeah the japanese have this aesthetic thing for poo poo that's broken so they don't much care for a totally ordered board with all the stones equally placed, something to do with this or some poo poo

There is an aesthetic principle that arises from Japanese culture, wabi-sabi; which pretty well encompasses this.

quote:

Characteristics of the wabi-sabi aesthetic include asymmetry, asperity (roughness or irregularity), simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy and appreciation of the ingenuous integrity of natural objects and processes.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

I'm verging on 6 kyuu again...

quote:

Kheldragar: That's a lot of Go
Xombar: 520 hours is kind of pitiful compared to how much DotA some of my friends have played though
Xombar: according to Steam
Kheldragar: And those people who have hundreds of hours on TF2 or so
Kheldragar: Kind of funny how playing Go all those hours seem so much more longer than other games

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

The Goban of the Damned
Wherein the Heavens are beyond reach
(can't play at tengen because the stone would have no liberties)

quote:

Xombar: You might even call it... the Hell Ban

Kheldragar: New Zealand rules says I can play at Tengen
Xombar: in that case instead of Tengen that move would be called Tenbux

Xombar: wait
Xombar: do NZ rules count captured stones
Xombar: otherwise that joke doesn't work
Xombar: nope
Xombar: NZ rules is area scoring
Xombar: oh well

Xom fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 19, 2014

C-BOX
Feb 7, 2010

by Debbie Metallica
so does playing go refine my ability to use psychic powers or is this thread title a lie

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

C-BOX posted:

so does playing go refine my ability to use psychic powers or is this thread title a lie
Many people* say that only playing face to face uses or refines your psychic powers. But I don't see why net games shouldn't work.

*mainly in the comments on articles about net games between pro players and strong amateurs.

rand
Apr 26, 2003

Deep Winter posted:

Okay but where do the pawns and knights and poo poo come into play?

wait wait wait. this thread is about GO, 216, and the like

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

C-BOX posted:

This thread title is a complete lie. Playing Go only refines your ability to play Go

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Hey, I used to be on KGS and play in ITGO as tschimp, now re-regged as gtsmart. Can someone add me from the SA room?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Added!

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

C-BOX posted:

Makes you a warrior monk/philosopher king, especially after a few drinks. It's the real life, yo - nothing better than ruining someone and then getting all benevolent.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
crosspost from the other Go thread:

Kheldragar posted:

2014 Go Superbowl Between The Sedol Hawks and The Li Tarantulas is LIVE! - ITGO MOTD

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
make fun of kheldragar for me pls

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

He's pretty much got himself covered on that

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Anybody else think that Lee Sedol looks totally stoned in this ad?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like a face of a person feeling determined but sure whatever man!! Anyway congrats Lee Sedol

surc
Aug 17, 2004

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

This thread title is a complete lie. Playing Go only refines your ability to play Go

Not true. The other day I used the power of my mind to move my hand through the air and place a stone on the board, and it's all thanks to Go!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Here's a guide someone wrote to help the wave of newbies we got from the Summer 2011 iteration of this thread:

quote:

How to learn go without quitting like a bitch

If you want to learn to play go and get strong as heck and beat the crap out of everyone, you don't have to be a genius or anything, you just have to be persistent. If you aren't persistent, you probably aren't going to be very good at this game. I have seen a lot of people come in with big aspirations, and while most of them get lost along the way, here are some things that the successful ones did:

1. They got a rank...

If you don't have a rank on KGS people are going to treat you like a piece of poo poo. You'll only play guests and other people with [?] ranks, so it's going to be like you're in the kowloon walled city or some poo poo. People with ranks, however low they are, are matched with other people who are trying to get ranked correctly too. The intention makes all the difference in the world in terms of game quality.

2. ...and played ranked, 19x19 games.

There's nothing special in particular about playing ranked games. If you really want to get strong at go, you'll do a lot of problems and 9x9 before even thinking about the big board, but problems are boring and it's hard to find 9x9 games at all, let alone quality ones. Anyone who did any good at this game probably played a lot of ranked games early on. Go has a pretty brutal learning curve, especially in the first month, and it's important to play ranked so you can at least see your progress.

3. They played a lot of those, ranked, 19x19 games.

Some people get all terrified of ranked games and would rather play free. Those people all quit before they get to 12k. They ALL quit. Make every game you play (when possible) a ranked game and you'll have a good, accurate rank. If you wind up only playing three or so ranked games a month, your rank will wind up inflated and you'll lose, making you an even huger pussy. Then you'll only play two next month, and pretty shortly you'll just quit. Maybe after six or nine months you will come back, but you will never get past 12k or so. Play like five ranked games a week at least and you will make good progress without backsliding.

4. They got a lot of reviews.

Whenever you lose a game try to convince someone to review it. Even if they are only a few stones stronger, they usually have some kind of insight to provide. You shouldn't hold out for someone good to review, because even if someone tells you something that is objectively wrong in a review, it's not worth worrying about because those mistakes are indicitive of their rank and you should be so lucky to gently caress up like that as their junior. If you won, a review is probably less valuable, but you should have plenty of losses to show.

If you do those four things and keep it up for about 3-5 months you will make it to at least 9k. Once you're there, you can decide on your own how you want to improve, but for the 20k-10k stretch this is the most realistic way of making it across in one piece.

Xom fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 20, 2014

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

How's the goon presence on DGS these days?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Although some goons probably happen to have DGS accounts (I don't), there's quite a bit of goon activity on OGS.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
:monar:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That is beautiful.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Writing aside, diagram 17 is pretty outrageous. What book is that from?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Under 15 posted:

Writing aside, diagram 17 is pretty outrageous. What book is that from?

Lessons in the fundamentals of Go. :geno:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Kageyama owns. His opening lecture on people too lazy to read out ladders is another classic

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I tried a small online game after reading through how you play go. I felt like a professional go samurai when a ladder started on the board until it wiped out all my pieces.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

This game is really good I just started playing please join and then we can be fierce rivals get all the way to the top and then have to face off after the elite four

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

what is this, necro thread night???

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

what is this, necro thread night???

lurk moar lol

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

forbidden lesbian, help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

giogadi posted:

This game is really good I just started playing please join and then we can be fierce rivals get all the way to the top and then have to face off after the elite four

in go you aint poo poo unless your rival has a go ghost basically helping him fukkin cheat

• Locked thread