Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

sk posted:

where do I find the best of Paul Orndorff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riluy4huxes&t=658s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Just start from his beginning, and go from there.

This is the best plan. From the moment Hall debuted on Nitro there's a very steady decline in both both his physical condition (i.e. sobriety) and the quality of the booking.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

laertes22 posted:

I was living abroad and not watching wrestlemans for much of the early and mid aughts. I missed most of the glory that is Big Booty Daddy Scott Steiner. Recommend me some shows, ppvs, matches showcasing this crazy hot mess (stuff like Steiner math would be great, for example).

His match at the 2003 Royal Rumble against Triple H is so absolutely bad its worth watching just so you can believe it. It's basically Steiner botching poo poo left right and center and nearly dropping Triple H on his head during a double-underhook suplex attempt.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
After listening to Cornette's podcast, can anyone recommend some Arn Anderson matches?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Justin Godscock posted:

His match at the 2003 Royal Rumble against Triple H is so absolutely bad its worth watching just so you can believe it. It's basically Steiner botching poo poo left right and center and nearly dropping Triple H on his head during a double-underhook suplex attempt.

I wanna say it was like 18 minutes long as well. It should probably have gone 3 or 4.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I quit watching wrestling as a kid from the years of 2001-2012. Lately, I've gotten into William Regal. I've seen a lot of his matches, but I want to see some of his best promos. Could you give me some of his best promos in WWF?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Smoking Crow posted:

I quit watching wrestling as a kid from the years of 2001-2012. Lately, I've gotten into William Regal. I've seen a lot of his matches, but I want to see some of his best promos. Could you give me some of his best promos in WWF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4zmenHmjxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcb8RoxQPD0 (iirc Regal was working heel before he did this one)

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
I never really watched WWE between 2002-2007 and as such, I missed Eddie's rise to the top. Where's the best place to start on the network?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mayostard posted:

I never really watched WWE between 2002-2007 and as such, I missed Eddie's rise to the top. Where's the best place to start on the network?

I'd say No Way Out 2004, where he wins the title. The Smackdown with the mini-rumble doesn't seem to be on there.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Where do I start with Luke Gallows? I know absolutely nothing of this man except for Attitude Era Podcast references and hilarious youtube interview clips. Apparently he was supposed to be the third Brother of Destruction at one point?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
this one's probably one for Ditch, but... Where do I start with Yoshiaki Fujiwara?

(btw, thanks guys, gotten good stuff from my questions so far - even if I've barely cracked into my DDT stuff)

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I never watched wrestling during the late 90's/early 2000's, but I have recently become convinced I should be watching some WCW DDP matches. Can anybody recommend me DDP matches?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

unimportantguy posted:

I never watched wrestling during the late 90's/early 2000's, but I have recently become convinced I should be watching some WCW DDP matches. Can anybody recommend me DDP matches?
Here's the best, from which I can remember:

DDP vs Randy Savage | No DQ/Street Fight (Spring Stampede 1997)
DDP vs Randy Savage | Falls Count Anywhere (Great American Bash 1997)
DDP vs Randy Savage | Sudden Death (Halloween Havoc 1997)
--In addition to the matches being on the WWE Network, here's a playlist of the feud on WWE.com to fill in the blanks.

DDP vs Chris Benoit (SuperBrawl VIII)
DDP vs Raven vs Chris Benoit | Three Way Dance (Uncensored 1998)
DDP vs Raven | Bowery Cage Match (Slamboree 1998)
DDP vs Raven | Raven's Rules match (Spring Stampede 1998)

DDP vs Bill Goldberg (Halloween Havoc 1998)

DDP & Kanyon vs Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn (Great American Bash 1999)
DDP & Kanyon & Bam Bam Bigalow vs Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn (Bash At The Beach 1999)

Then there's stupid-fun matches that are borderline awful but still fun to watch.

DDP & Karl Malone vs Hulk Hogan & Dennis Rodman (Bash At The Beach 1998)
DDP & Jay Leno vs Hulk Hogan & Eric Bishcoff (Road Wild 1998)
DDP vs David Arquette vs Jeff Jarrett | Triple Cage Match (Slamboree 2000)

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Smoking Crow posted:

Technically, this is from FCW, not WWE, but it might as well be the same thing. I can't find video of just the promo, but they work in one of Regal's very best promos about a minute into this highlight package. This line in particular just blew me away when I first heard it-

"I would drag somebody I didn't like into a carpark and set fire to them, everybody else here in FCW would run away. I know Dean Ambrose, he'd come and stand next to me and warm his hands on the bloody flames."

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
One of William Regal's most memorable segments occurs during HHH vs Randy Orton for the WWE Belt on RAW from the late aughts, right around the time when the title match continued into the usual ten minute overrun. Regal was reigning King of the Ring, and the General Manager. Wait for it. It was amazing.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7mduo_wwe-monday-night-raw-wwe-championsh_sport

God drat William Regal is an engrossing character and performer. Every time he speaks it's utterly convincing, clever and useful.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 19, 2014

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Can someone recommend some good Nigel McGuinness matches to start me off? Did he have any decent matches with Kurt Angle?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Memento posted:

Can someone recommend some good Nigel McGuinness matches to start me off? Did he have any decent matches with Kurt Angle?

Watch his match with Bryan Danielson from ROH Driven, their Sixth Anniverary Show title match for the turn and his match with Tyler Black from Take No Prisoners. His PPV matches with Angle from 2009 are both great.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

I Before E posted:

I'd say No Way Out 2004, where he wins the title. The Smackdown with the mini-rumble doesn't seem to be on there.

From what I remember, Eddie got a title shot at No Way Out 2004 kind of out of the blue so it really is best to start watching there. His title match against Kurt Angle at WrestleMania 20 is very good and his bloodbath (literally) of a match against JBL at Judgment Day is memorable for that reason. After he drops the title to JBL at Great American Bash there isn't much after that that I can remember aside from his heel run during the summer of 2005 culminating in the Dominic Custody Ladder Match at SummerSlam 2005.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Justin Godscock posted:

From what I remember, Eddie got a title shot at No Way Out 2004 kind of out of the blue so it really is best to start watching there.
Why would you do that when the two or so years before that of the Smackdown Six era are chock full of Eddie goodness?

Like seriously, he had matches against some combination of Angle, Benoit, Edge or Rey almost every week during that time.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 21, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Two or three weeks before Summerslam '02, is when it starts. And it's really great, some really great wrestling TV of which we haven't seen for a while. (In terms of super talented dudes infront of big crowds going nuts for wrestling)

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

LvK posted:

this one's probably one for Ditch, but... Where do I start with Yoshiaki Fujiwara?

The signature Fujiwara matches are the Tiger Mask series and 6/7/87 vs Choshu. Anything with Yamazaki or Maeda is also great. Fujiwara is rarely not worth watching.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Recommend me some Chris Bosh matches. I've only seen a few of his promos and some compilation youtube vids.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The Masks vs Titles match between Arrogance and the Aerial Express from 2nd Annual PWG Bicentennial Birthday Extravaganza - Day 1 followed by the 2005 BOLA that happened two months later.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Illinois Smith posted:

Why would you do that when the two or so years before that of the Smackdown Six era are chock full of Eddie goodness?

Like seriously, he had matches against some combination of Angle, Benoit, Edge or Rey almost every week during that time.

Well yeah, but that's not what he was asking about. He was asking about Eddie's title run, which starts there.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I know we have threads for Japanese and all kinds of Indie wrestlings, but I don't think we have anything for lucha. What should I watch if I want to get into lucha?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

I know we have threads for Japanese and all kinds of Indie wrestlings, but I don't think we have anything for lucha. What should I watch if I want to get into lucha?

Watch the When Worlds Collide show. If you liked that then give the CMLL 81st Anniversary Show a watch as it has a mix of everything.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MassRafTer posted:

Watch the When Worlds Collide show. If you liked that then give the CMLL 81st Anniversary Show a watch as it has a mix of everything.

Can I ask, why are they masked? What is the significance behind being masked?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

Can I ask, why are they masked? What is the significance behind being masked?

It depends on the wrestler. Some are masked because they are the son or relative of a famous wrestler. For example on WWC El Hijo Del Santo is masked because he's the son of El Santo the most famous luchadore of all time. Some are masked because the company or wrestler had a cool idea for a character and created the mask, costume, character, etc. The masks have a 70 year history in Mexico at this point so losing one is a big deal, because it is your character and mystique and it makes you special. For some guys like Atlantis and Ultimo Guerrero they've had their mask so long that the mystique builds and builds as they win mask matches and their mask grows to a legendary status. Some guys will never lose their mask like Santo and probably Atlantis, some will keep them for as long as they can to build up a big money match to lose it, and some are prelim guys who lose their mask in a multiman cage when the promotion has no other ideas.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Smoking Crow posted:

Lucha Underground starts in like two days. Try that.

If not, you can watch either CMLL or AAA. CMLL is kind of a trip and is super intense if you want to indulge in super intense Mexican wrestling complete with 2/3 fall matches, ballshot DQs everyone wearing masks. AAA is the lucha but with more American influences. And it should be great (it's got a great line up of talenet) but when ever I've watched I've always been ehhhhh :shrug:

MassRafTer posted:

It depends on the wrestler. Some are masked because they are the son or relative of a famous wrestler. For example on WWC El Hijo Del Santo is masked because he's the son of El Santo the most famous luchadore of all time. Some are masked because the company or wrestler had a cool idea for a character and created the mask, costume, character, etc. The masks have a 70 year history in Mexico at this point so losing one is a big deal, because it is your character and mystique and it makes you special. For some guys like Atlantis and Ultimo Guerrero they've had their mask so long that the mystique builds and builds as they win mask matches and their mask grows to a legendary status. Some guys will never lose their mask like Santo and probably Atlantis, some will keep them for as long as they can to build up a big money match to lose it, and some are prelim guys who lose their mask in a multiman cage when the promotion has no other ideas.

:lol: Yeah, this.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just signed up for Ring of Honor's membership thing. What is some of the best stuff to watch on their VOD service? I have literally never wathched RoH beyond a few random matches on YouTube

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

I just signed up for Ring of Honor's membership thing. What is some of the best stuff to watch on their VOD service? I have literally never wathched RoH beyond a few random matches on YouTube

Not sure why this popped into my head, but the Paul London Vs Michael Shane street fight was really awesome and insane from what I remember.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

Not sure why this popped into my head, but the Paul London Vs Michael Shane street fight was really awesome and insane from what I remember.

Is that where the "Please Don't Die" chants started?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blast Fantasto posted:

Big Bang from '10 -> DBD VIII -> FB 2010 would be a nice start.

It'll get you three great championship matches.

Three key matches in the Steen Generico feud.

Three matches in the Briscoes v Kings of Wrestling feud.

Judicious use of the fast forward button for the under-card, because it's ROH.

Then you can roll straight into 9th Anniversary Show -> Manhattan Mayhem IV -> Both Wrestlemania Weekend shows -> Best in thew World which ties up another sequence of feuds.

I know it's not like peak ROH, but I thought it was great at the time and the key stuff is on VOD.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LordPants posted:

Lucha Underground starts in like two days. Try that.

lucha underground is not a very good example of lucha

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Box posted:

lucha underground is not a very good example of lucha

I mean we know that now

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Smoking Crow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thecubsfan/videos and http://www.dailymotion.com/thecubsfan for CMLL

https://www.youtube.com/user/luchalibreaaatv/videos for AAA

http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/ is the canonical English-language website

Here's my 2014 lucha MOTYCs. top picks in bold:

Negro Casas vs. Titán, CMLL 03/01
Titán vs. Virus, CMLL 28/01
Caifan vs. Karonte, Lucha Libre del Norte 27/04
Virus, Hechicero & Cachorro vs. Negro Casas, Dragon Lee & Cavernario, CMLL 23/05
Hechicero vs. Cavernario, CMLL 20/06
Cavernario vs. Titán, CMLL 29/07
Negro Casas vs. Rush, CMLL 01/08
Atlantis vs. Último Guerrero, CMLL 19/09

looking at this Casas has a pretty good case for Most Outstanding this year. not bad for a 53 year old. Cavernario has had a great year too. speaking of which i guess i'd be remiss not to mention his 19/9 vs. Rey Cometa which a lot of people liked more than me.

CMLL's entire En Busca de un Ídolo tournament this year is worth watching. tons of fun lightning (one fall, 10 minute time limit) matches

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 4, 2014

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
One thing that always tremendously bothered me about lucha is that the few dedicated fans who capture lucha matches and/or cover it in English still haven't learned how to properly capture or rip video. It's slightly less of a hurdle now that the federations put up the shows themselves in HD on Youtube, but TheCubsFan et al are literally 10-15 years behind the times on this stuff. I just want to see the cool Aero Star matches from the early/mid-2000s. :(

Smoking Crow posted:

One thing to keep in mind about lucha that everyone is sort of neglecting to mention is that CMLL, the largest and oldest lucha libre promotion, is a very very VERY difficult thing to just jump into and "get." This isn't like say, watching Japanese wrestling where you don't really need to understand what's being said. CMLL's rules aren't like anything used anywhere else. People roll rather than bump and work extremely "light" so things look incredibly fake and cooperatively coordinated to us. Very little intuitively "makes sense."

The singles matches are the easiest to get a grasp on, which is why that's what most people are recommending, but I would say that AAA is far more accessible a product than CMLL to Western audiences. That's part of why Lucha Underground (WHICH IS AWESOME AS HELL, SHUT UP JERKS) utilizes a lot of AAA talent. It's telling that the most accessible entry point to understanding lucha libre hasn't changed in 20 years: AAA's When Worlds Collide PPV. That's where you start with lucha libre, period, full stop, no debate.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So their first match at G1 Climax and their later, better rematch yesterday at Power Struggle made me realize I need more ReDRagon and TimeSplitters in my life. What are some of their best matches, respectively?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Forceholy posted:

So their first match at G1 Climax and their later, better rematch yesterday at Power Struggle made me realize I need more ReDRagon and TimeSplitters in my life. What are some of their best matches, respectively?

reDRagon vs Young Bucks from War of the Worlds was amazing. I wish I could remember the episode of ROH TV where reDRagon fled the building and hopped in one of their mom's minivan to escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Forceholy posted:

reDRagon had a three match series with The Young Bucks in ROH this year and all three matches were exceptional. They were at Raising The Bar, War of the Worlds, and All Star Extravaganza.

• Locked thread