Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I don't know how people see poo poo from the air in simulator battles. The only planes I have a hope in hell of spotting in are the ones without cockpits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Should do one with ukraine and ussr.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Its all down to your positioning. Come at them from 12 o'clock high, bait them into climbing up and wasting their energy then turning back onto them is a common strategy. Realistic Battle is all about knowing your plane and its capabilities, and knowing the enemy's plane and its capabilities and taking advantage of them.

Properly exploiting an energy advantage is actually something I tend to have a problem with. Pretty often I find myself above an enemy fighter, do a shallow dive on them and give off a burst (often with limited success if they maneuver at all). Afterwards I pull into a gentle climb to retain as much energy as possible, but often my target can simply turn and come after me. Sure, I'll outdistance them, but unless I came in screaming at 600 km/h (further lowering my ability to hit anything) I'll do so pretty slowly, and for as long as they keep up the chase I'm kinda screwed. Sooner or later I'm gonna have to turn, and in that case they can either get inside my turn or force a head-on. The other option would be to just keep going until they get bored and veer off, but at that point I'd spend 80% of a given match just running away.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I don't know how people see poo poo from the air in simulator battles. The only planes I have a hope in hell of spotting in are the ones without cockpits.

They do not see.

Enemy is attacked out in the open during clear weather.

This is also why the eastern front saw much more air-to-ground close air support than the western front.

More tanks and open steppes.

When in small towns, asking for support and directing instructions of "house, northern side, on the hill" was an option since clear landmarks were available.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
I knew leaving tanks was a bad idea

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Perestroika posted:

Properly exploiting an energy advantage is actually something I tend to have a problem with. Pretty often I find myself above an enemy fighter, do a shallow dive on them and give off a burst (often with limited success if they maneuver at all). Afterwards I pull into a gentle climb to retain as much energy as possible, but often my target can simply turn and come after me. Sure, I'll outdistance them, but unless I came in screaming at 600 km/h (further lowering my ability to hit anything) I'll do so pretty slowly, and for as long as they keep up the chase I'm kinda screwed. Sooner or later I'm gonna have to turn, and in that case they can either get inside my turn or force a head-on. The other option would be to just keep going until they get bored and veer off, but at that point I'd spend 80% of a given match just running away.

If they're staying on you, then just keep on running away until they get bored and turn around, or the distance between you is sufficient* that if you turn to engage there'll be at least 1km left between you by the time you've got him in your sights.

Yes this will result in a head-on, but those are generally easier to survive in RB since a) the average pub can't aim and b) once you're past each other he'll have to do a 180 to continue the chase, which will burn all of his energy and leave you at an advantage even if you don't climb. So long as you don't get greedy, and disengage early enough, you'll be fine.

* usually 2-3km, but it depends on his speed and your turn time

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Going into a head-on is bad advice. Do not do it.

Onl if you have to, like no other options.
Besides that, you don't want to do head-ons since they are a left to chance.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

They do not see.

Just watched a Pe-2 rack up 4 player ground kills on Ash River with one payload. It was pretty impressive. Some people are pretty good at this or they're hacking their asses off.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
So if I want to start my Skygod career doing CASB when my joystick gets here, what tiers/nations do you SB guys fly/drive?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Just watched a Pe-2 rack up 4 player ground kills on Ash River with one payload. It was pretty impressive. Some people are pretty good at this or they're hacking their asses off.

The Peshka had a glass bottom nose, which makes it easier.
It can also divebomb fairly well.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Target Practice posted:

So if I want to start my Skygod career doing CASB when my joystick gets here, what tiers/nations do you SB guys fly/drive?

If only planes, American planes have great visibility. This does matter a lot and the later 109s with the Erla Haube canopy also makes a big difference.

Besides that, just test flight and see how they feel. And fly with friends, it makes it a lot less frustration.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Just got my first air to air kill in simulator... With the tailgun on the Peshka. :shobon: Mouse aim supremacy.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Perestroika posted:

Well first off, yeah, you should be coming at them at 600kph unless you're in something like a Spitfire or a Yak 3. If you're not coming in fast, then trying to zoom away is a bad choice. If you're going to come in at <600kph you should be converting that energy into more aggressive maneuver like a high yo-yo, which gets you back on your target instead of running away.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
According to a dev on the Russian forums,

the Wilberwind

(4x the 20mm cannons Flakpanzer has)

and
Kugelblitz

(2x 30mm MK103)

will be coming in the next big content update

the 30mm APCR has up to 90mm penetration at 300 meters :getin:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Y'all should fly the Doomerang. Don't be fooled by its 4.0 rating. It is a spreader of death, justice, fear, righteous fury and elation. In that order. In the hands of a skilled pilot, the Doomerang is the bringer of justice and deliverer of freedom. It is the harbinger of death and vicar of fury. It will bring you riches and glory and push you to the brink. It is agiler than a spitfire and deathier than every other non-cannon plane in the british lineup. It's also pretty good in RB due to 4.000 rounds of 30 cal ammo. Yes, you read that right. Four loving thousand of peashooting excellence. It also has two friends it would like you to meet. They are twins infact. Both are strangely called Hispano and are the craziest hombres you will ever loving meet in your career. They will help you administer righteous fury upon your enemies.

Do you want to win?
Do you want to shoot planes?
Do you want to be the most dangerous motherfucking in the sky?
Are you literally Maverick from Top Gun?

FLY A DOOMERANG

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

DJ Dizzy posted:

Y'all should fly the Doomerang. Don't be fooled by its 4.0 rating. It is a spreader of death, justice, fear, righteous fury and elation. In that order. In the hands of a skilled pilot, the Doomerang is the bringer of justice and deliverer of freedom. It is the harbinger of death and vicar of fury. It will bring you riches and glory and push you to the brink. It is agiler than a spitfire and deathier than every other non-cannon plane in the british lineup. It's also pretty good in RB due to 4.000 rounds of 30 cal ammo. Yes, you read that right. Four loving thousand of peashooting excellence. It also has two friends it would like you to meet. They are twins infact. Both are strangely called Hispano and are the craziest hombres you will ever loving meet in your career. They will help you administer righteous fury upon your enemies.

Do you want to win?
Do you want to shoot planes?
Do you want to be the most dangerous motherfucking in the sky?
Are you literally Maverick from Top Gun?

FLY A DOOMERANG

I used to love it to bits when it was 3.3 BR but with the 4.0 you just always go against either Thunderbolts and Hitlerbolts and honestly that's just not fun.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Teal posted:

According to a dev on the Russian forums,

Will they also include the ZSU?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Yeah, but its a Boomerang so you should fly it :australia:

Vahakyla posted:

If only planes, American planes have great visibility. This does matter a lot and the later 109s with the Erla Haube canopy also makes a big difference.

Besides that, just test flight and see how they feel. And fly with friends, it makes it a lot less frustration.

He's talking about combined arms, I think.

Germany:
Bf 109 F-2 - The most agile 109. Has rockets. Guns can set tanks on fire.
P-47 Thunderbolt - 3,400 .50 cal bullets. Durable BnZ godmode.

Russia:
Yak-9t - Pop tanks. Harass German planes with 1-hit kills.
B-25 Mitchell - Nice bombload, tons of .50s shooting in all loving directions.
Il-2 - Pretty much the perfect anti-tank plane. Tons of guns, rockets and bombs. Except it's a AAA magnet.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Just got my first air to air kill in simulator... With the tailgun on the Peshka. :shobon: Mouse aim supremacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaWHrIlyc7c

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wales Grey posted:

Will they also include the ZSU?

ZSU-37. No word on ZSU-57-2 yet :smith:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

:golfclap:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So the PS4 is getting this game on Tuesday. Is this one of those games that is better played with a KB/M or will a controller be just as good and let me dogfight with the best of them?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

So the PS4 is getting this game on Tuesday. Is this one of those games that is better played with a KB/M or will a controller be just as good and let me dogfight with the best of them?

Some people have reported success in using a controller. I guess it works, if you make it work?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Teal posted:

I hope they include the fact that the turret traverse was too slow to keep up with the jet aircraft it was meant to shoot down. :v:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

Aim for the turret when fighting t-34s. Don't on the t-44
Please follow this advice. Many Wehraboos seem to, even when they have hull shots, and deflect fruitlessly off my lovely T-34-85 with their Panther/Tiger enough for me to kill them. After all, why shoot angled 45mm of armor when you can shoot (usually more angled) 90mm.

Vendictus Prime posted:

I just started playing a couple of weeks ago, and tried the tanks last night for a couple of hours. what the hell is the deal with the Rus tanks? I am guessing the devs , like in WoT have decided that all rus tanks are suppose to be OP. I lost count of how many times I shot a rus tank and did no damage 90% of the time and then was 1 shot, even in an S tank.
:laugh:

Russian bias isn't a problem in this or WoT. That said, there are many :qq: threads on the official WT forums by Wehraboos (that have not so much as touched Russian tanks) calling them OP so I'm sure you can find good company if you want to cry about Russian bias. Just know that while you cry, you're objectively wrong.

Minor concession: if you're playing SB, until you unlock HEAT on the short 75mms you'll probably feel pretty poo poo because there aren't usually (only Russian primetime) enough players playing SB to prevent you from getting uptiered against T-50s/T-34 1940's that you can barely pen without HEAT.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Well, I bought the Dora pack and the premium German P-47.

I now very much regret those decisions. I regret giving Gaijin *any* money for this game.

I will strongly advise others against giving Gaijin any money, going forward.

I know from talking with others that I am far from alone.

I will be sticking to flying lower tiers until Gaijin sorts out these issues that have been pointed out earlier in this thread. All my high-T3 and T4 German planes will remain in the hangar. Even though many of them still have all or most of their free repairs still unused.
:roflolmao:

The prop/jet divide is much better than it used to be (before they stretched out the jet BRs). Is there still progress to be made? Yes. Is it worth standing upon a pedestal and crying about how wronged you were? Hell no.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

I've been playing badly for the evening and getting fed up being onehit from hail mary shots from across the map over and over, so I tried turning draw distance for grass and tree popup to 0. Multiple kills in all subsequent games, I'm seeing people from hundreds of meters everywhere except jungle and I don't have to squint at the map. Gaijin need to either force grass on or off for everyone because the advantage this confers is loving retarded.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

yaay posted:

I've been playing badly for the evening and getting fed up being onehit from hail mary shots from across the map over and over, so I tried turning draw distance for grass and tree popup to 0. Multiple kills in all subsequent games, I'm seeing people from hundreds of meters everywhere except jungle and I don't have to squint at the map. Gaijin need to either force grass on or off for everyone because the advantage this confers is loving retarded.

Well if its of any comfort http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/144450-translation-of-the-german-qa-on-ground-forces/

Gaijin posted:

The simulator mode for tanks has many problems right now, like scouting with the minimap and turning off grass. The artillery also adds an unfair advantage and Kursk is the only map suited for simulator battles.

As mentioned before, the problems of the sightsystem and the turning off of grass will be resolved and we will add new maps in the future. The situation of the minimap is a subject of heavy discussion internally right now and we work on a solution, but we have no definitive answer on it for now.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Am I an idiot for not liking kursk?
It also seems like it's pretty easy to win, just head to A and kill everything nearby.

I want more close combat dangit.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

organburner posted:

just head to [the place you're trying to control] and kill everything nearby.

Just like real war :v:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Welp, I hope there is a way to turn all that poo poo off because I kind of like Sim but there is no way my PC is going to handle a ton of grass and trees very well.

I'm enjoying flying around in Sim, but I've yet to find a single tank to bomb and some of the maps are just annoying as poo poo with all the AAA and steep hills about. gently caress Ash River. :(

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
So I have 1855 spare eagles after I bought a months premium and don't know what to do with it.

Current options are:

1) BTD
2) Hitlerbolt
3) Talisman for the B-17G

I'm not sure which to get. I play the B-17 a lot and usually get wicked RP with it, but I'm not sure whether the other planes are fun enough to warrant getting over that. Any thoughts?

Also: I just came back to this game after the tanks going in and holy poo poo this poo poo is off the chain. They really did an awesome job with the tank portion of the game and it blows WoT out of the water, and having planes in the mode too makes for some amazing action.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
As fun of a novelty the BTD is I wouldn't recommend getting it.

Hiterbolt is an awesome plane, just cos the P-47 rocks.

Never bought a Talisman so I dunno if its worth it, but if you were leaning for that one I'd just say wait for some planes to go on sale and get those. I guess double RP bonus (I think that's what they give?) is nice but then you'd just be flying a B-17 all day, which isn't all that fun :shrug:.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Heliosicle posted:

I guess double RP bonus (I think that's what they give?) is nice but then you'd just be flying a B-17 all day, which isn't all that fun :shrug:.

For you. :colbert:

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

alright, that's pretty good to see that they're aware of it. Thinking about it though, grass 'off' for everyone is probably better, because you could probably get rid of minimap icons to make up for the ease of spotting that would result. Anyone playing tanks should be used to constantly looking at the minimap, but currently in war thunder I've found it goes to ridiculous extremes of needing it to pinpoint tanks literally right in front of me because of the three foot high grass and shrubbery plus undersaturated lighting making it hard to spot anything sitting still.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's also just dumb to have the entire world covered in 2-3 foot tall grass.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The game can already be pretty pixel-hunty on Sim during certain maps, so making the screens even more cluttered is going to make battles take for loving ever. It would suck a lot.

Finally got my first air to ground kill in sim. All my Peshka rockets into a single P38t bot. Then I stalled out and slammed into the ground. :buddy:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The T-34-57 is really good :toot:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

organburner posted:

Am I an idiot for not liking kursk?
It also seems like it's pretty easy to win, just head to A and kill everything nearby.

I want more close combat dangit.

A city map with destructible buildings would be the greatest thing of all time. Especially if it was supper buggy and you could Dukes of Hazzard T-50s off of stairwells and onto other tanks.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
How to I stop sucking with AA trucks. I am having a hell of a time aiming with the sight since it gets obscured after 2 shots. I can get one or two kills a match when they come straight at me.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

But the conversation was about tier 1 and both flak trucks are in tier 2??

FlaK 38 is the gun that the Flakpanzer 1 uses.

Teal posted:

The ZSU 57-2 might be stretching it a bit. If they do put it in, it's no doubt going to be tier 5, and well, SPAAGs are not very good against jets.

Of course, perforating KTs with a vehicle that's barely bulletproof would be great.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Talismans are a waste of money unless you really, really like the plane and plan on flying it forever.

The Hitlerbolt, :911: Ki-61/A6M2 and :britain: Hellcat are the closest you can get to "Pay-2-Win" planes... but they can be unlocked for free on their proper nations. :retrogames:

I recommend buying the unique and/or prototype planes for GE:

:911: XP-55 - a literal UFO
:france: D.520 - flies like a slower but more agile 109
:britain: Mustang Mk IA - it has cannons instead of .50s!
:australia: Boomerang - this plane is still good, l2play
:911: BTD-1 - cool airbreaks but otherwise an easy target
:911: XP-50 - one trick pony
:australia: Wirray - cheap seal clubber

• Locked thread