Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Congratulations on getting first place

Hope you like coins

i do, cuz they unlock parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

elf help book posted:

i do, cuz they unlock parts

Yeah but you don't keep collecting them after you have 10

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Yea, but you'll need more after 2nd place gets triple red shells 3 times in a row.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

they max out at 10 as far as how many you can hold for a speed boost but they keep being added to unlock parts.

a large chance of getting bonus coins at 1st place is fitting but when it happens in 3rd it's bullshit, especially when the person behind you has a high chance of rolling red shells

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 6, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

My only wish for this game is for people to get items besides single mushrooms when they are below 5th place, because that's all I ever get

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

they max out at 10 as far as how many you can hold for a speed boost but they keep being added to unlock parts.

I'm almost positive that's not true because I would have had multiple cups where I unlocked at least 2 parts at once by now since parts are every 50 coins.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm almost positive that's not true because I would have had multiple cups where I unlocked at least 2 parts at once by now since parts are every 50 coins.

lmao no you have a total amount of coins collected regardless of how many you finished the race with. it'd be extraordinarily lovely if you could only get 10 towards unlocks per race, or if you actually lost unlock progression for being hit

e: if the max was 10 youd only be able to get a max of 40 per cup assuming you finish maxed out on each race. youd never unlock poo poo

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 6, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

lmao no you have a total amount of coins collected regardless of how many you finished the race with. it'd be extraordinarily lovely if you could only get 10 towards unlocks per race, or if you actually lost unlock progression for being hit

I can guarantee that I've collected more than 50 coins in a set of 4 races and only ever gotten one unlock.

I'm pretty sure that it's based on your ending coin count for each race.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

bef posted:

Is there really bad rubber banding like the wii version

it is WAAAAY better, the rubber banding in wii was the reason it's my least favorite mk game

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Actually my coin theory is easy enough to test by getting at least 10 coins in each race then losing them before finishing. I'll try that when I get home because I'm curious about that now.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Actually my coin theory is easy enough to test by getting at least 10 coins in each race then losing them before finishing. I'll try that when I get home because I'm curious about that now.

The test is concluded.

I did 3 cups, and got to 10 coins on each race then got down to 0-1 before finishing. So that's a total of at least 120 coins collected over the course of the races.

I got no unlocks.

Also it's really hard to do good when you have 0 coins.

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context
Just do what I did: Play Grand Prix with a bro.

EZ Money

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

owned

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

The test is concluded.

I did 3 cups, and got to 10 coins on each race then got down to 0-1 before finishing. So that's a total of at least 120 coins collected over the course of the races.

I got no unlocks.

Also it's really hard to do good when you have 0 coins.

every single time i do a cup i get enough coins to unlock another part. if there were a limit that would be impossible. so yeah this is horseshit

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

every single time i do a cup i get enough coins to unlock another part. if there were a limit that would be impossible. so yeah this is horseshit

loving try what I did then, because that's what happened

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

loving try what I did then, because that's what happened

how about we just fight irl

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

1v1 me bro

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
roy is definitley the best character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqbOGanV7Sg

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

e: if the max was 10 youd only be able to get a max of 40 per cup assuming you finish maxed out on each race. youd never unlock poo poo

sorry but you're wrong, you only get however many you finish the race with towards unlock progression

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

whats probably happened is that you played online or multiplayer a lot and got a ton of coins. you only get 1 unlock at a time unless you constantly go in and out of the menu so you might have had a bunch of unlocks queued up. you only get as many coins towards unlocks as you finish the race with

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Is it possible to enjoy this game if you have no friends? I'm asking for a friend.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Is it possible to enjoy this game if you have no friends? I'm asking for a friend.

yes. obvs its at its best with others in local co-op but the online is good.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Just played this for the first time
quite nice

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
now that i have the button wheels, i'll be exclusively racing waluigi in the beArTV.

i need to make a throwaway youtube account to grab some highlights because they are fantastic.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
WAIT THE HORN CAN BLOCK BLUE SHELLS? HOLY poo poo

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer
I love these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ43gTz7SnU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVCoCtQkLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhVn7E4aw8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPbQPrdXM7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm3usxOu-yk

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

WAIT THE HORN CAN BLOCK BLUE SHELLS? HOLY poo poo

yeah it can block any projectile. the item balance in this game is really good as items usually have offensive and defensive properties.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is Horn an item from the puzzle box or the literal honking of the cart blocks a blue shell?

Cuz that poo poo cray

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is Horn an item from the puzzle box or the literal honking of the cart blocks a blue shell?

Cuz that poo poo cray

no theres a giant horn item from the item boxes, it hits people near you and can also block items

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

good luck getting a horn though. it's very rare in any position and pretty much never rolls in 1st

bonzibuddy64 posted:

sorry but you're wrong, you only get however many you finish the race with towards unlock progression

wow that is loving lame. incredible, nintendo

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

it is WAAAAY better, the rubber banding in wii was the reason it's my least favorite mk game

people always complain about the rubber banding in mario kart but its always bullshit lol. its pretty easy to stay out in front, especially against the AI.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

good luck getting a horn though. it's very rare in any position and pretty much never rolls in 1st

yeah it does. I've gotten it a bunch of times when in first or second. It's not like its an OP item.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Borsche69 posted:

people always complain about the rubber banding in mario kart but its always bullshit lol. its pretty easy to stay out in front, especially against the AI.

yeah it's more with the AI doing bullshit stacking items on you but whatever that's the game

also the horn seems to have a better drop chance in first than the red shell does

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

yeah it's more with the AI doing bullshit stacking items on you but whatever that's the game

also the horn seems to have a better drop chance in first than the red shell does

yeah but I've also been hosed over a lot in multiplayer. its just bad timing when you get hit by someone behind you, and everyone that passes you also happens to hit you even though they're probably gunning for someone else

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Borsche69 posted:

yeah but I've also been hosed over a lot in multiplayer. its just bad timing when you get hit by someone behind you, and everyone that passes you also happens to hit you even though they're probably gunning for someone else

yeah, I didn't mean to say it was unique.

the computer does seem to lightning->blue shell combo way more often when I'm holding on to a horn though :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

• Locked thread