Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Runaktla posted:

I suppose I am basically saying relocate the federal government, or parts of it. I don't know your industry but it is a case by case situation The options in that scenario are:

(1) High density housing that is affordable. This would cause local congestion.

(2) These businesses/entities paying employees better to better compete for the local housing available. This will keep driving up prices however.

(3) De-centralize the local industry. This is of course case by case depending on industry. As an attorney, the Courts could modify to allow videoconferencing for court hearings. Actually one of my court rooms I appear in regularly is doing a test run of that. The courts already have a court call system for attending via telephone which has been used regularly for at least a decade.

This is already happening, but it's not enough. It becomes very difficult to do your job if half your department is in another building, much less a different state.

It also would make my job/industry a nightmare since we could be at any one of the federal agencies any day. Right now it's just a matter of taking a different train or car ride. The logistics and cost become much, much higher if we need to hop on a plane and fly out to North Dakota to meet with Interior, grab another plane to Phoenix to talk with Energy, another plane to Texas to talk to the DEA, etc.

Telecommuting is great, but it can't replace physical presence until we can accurately replicate an office virtually. And that's just not possible yet.

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Yep it's lovely to be forced to live in the boonies but ideally if businesses and people relocate to the boonies it eventually no longer becomes the boonies. This is just a natural effect of overpopulation. In this scenario you get to pick your poison, which is either overcrowding locally, increased labor costs to match cost of housing, or businesses and entities learning to be flexible, change it's manner of doing business if necessary and decentralize. I imagine the latter is difficult at times but not impossible. In theory the bigger a business gets the greater it's resources and technology is becoming rather amazing.

axeil posted:

This is already happening, but it's not enough. It becomes very difficult to do your job if half your department is in another building, much less a different state.

It also would make my job/industry a nightmare since we could be at any one of the federal agencies any day. Right now it's just a matter of taking a different train or car ride. The logistics and cost become much, much higher if we need to hop on a plane and fly out to North Dakota to meet with Interior, grab another plane to Phoenix to talk with Energy, another plane to Texas to talk to the DEA, etc.

Telecommuting is great, but it can't replace physical presence until we can accurately replicate an office virtually. And that's just not possible yet.
I just don't know enough about your industry to comment effectively but I would be surprised if a solution was unavailable.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

axeil posted:

So your proposal to fix the housing problem in DC is to relocate the federal government?

Most private business aren't set up in DC because of all the aforementioned problems. Most of them tend to be in Rosslyn and Crystal/Pentagon City in Arlington, down in Alexandria or over in McLean/Tysons/Reston. Silver Spring, MD also has a lot of businesses (the Discovery Channel being the most well-known) but I don't live/work there so I can't speak to it as well. The only things in DC itself are the government things, which sort of have to be in DC by definition.

If the US had an actual functioning public transit system that might work but building more single family homes in the middle of nowhere that require a 90 minute drive to work isn't gonna fix anything. Businesses tend to cluster together for business reasons, not so much due to zoning reasons. And new homebuyers don't want to buy houses in the suburbs, they want to buy houses in the close suburbs/city because this generation doesn't see as much value in having giant McMansions.

edit: This is essentially a supply and demand problem. There's intense demand for urban/close suburban housing right now. However, the supply has been choked off due to zoning restrictions, NIMBYism, etc. There's a huge glut of houses in places with very little demand, thus how people can buy houses for 70k.

Except buying a house in Northern Indiana means you'll either a) need to work in Northern Indiana or b) commute to Chicago. There's not really any major industrial or commercial centers in Northern Indiana so commuting it is. But then you have to factor the value of 3 hours a day you spend in your car, the price of owning the car, gas, etc.

It's not as simple as "this would all be solved if everyone moved to places no one is currently living, like Wyoming." Wyoming doesn't have the sort of infrastructure needed to support a mass movement of people. Neither do the ex-urbs of any major city center. This plan is completely unworkable. It's far, far easier to just build the drat high rises than convince people to live in the boonies who don't want to live in the boonies.

edit 2: All of this probably ties into the urban/rural divide that's been running in the US for basically its entire history. Except the urban side has pretty clearly won out but the laws and policies of the country haven't caught up yet.

The urban side always wins. Man is a social creature. Any attempt to suppress that impulse will fail.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mike- posted:

San Francisco is a place you expect housing to work differently though. There are land constraints so land pricing is going to work differently than a place where you can just build outwards. I'm sure the house the hoarder lived in was basically worthless while the land accounted for most of the price. Modifying the restrictions on building height would help, but who knows how much.

There are also geological concerns with SF that might limit how tall buildings can be (or require extra costs to EQ-proof them).

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

First off, thanks for that OP. I've kept up a little with the state of housing and rentals around the country, and while I knew that it was bad, I didn't have the specifics and the OP did a great job of filling in some blanks.

Second, not that I don't love some doom and gloom, it's been pretty well established ITT that the housing market is hosed (especially for millennials) and probably will be hosed for some time. So my question is, what avenues are available to make things better? Obviously voting and pushing for better policy are the best options, but I'm curious as to what people can do besides those two things to improve their own lot and the lot of others in the same situation.

More specifically, I'm interested in learning about co-operative housing and how viable it might be on a larger scale. To give some background: I moved to Austin four years ago, and managed to find a 1 BR studio apartment two blocks from UT Austin for $600, plus utilities (~$100 per month), which is a pretty good deal. Each year my rent would go up about $50, until it got to $750 per month and I bailed out. After spending a summer out of the country, I moved into a student run co-operative housing (http://collegehouses.org/), where I have my own fully furnished room and bathroom in a shared suite with a fully furnished kitchen for about ~$550 per month (which includes all utilities, parking, internet, etc.) Contrary to what I believed or knew about co-ops before this, the organization runs well, the leadership is quite good, all the houses are well maintained and generally improve as time goes on.

I guess I'm just curious if something like a housing co-operative for low-income young professionals or low-income families would be a viable option for addressing some of the problems facing the rental market in places like Austin or SF. A bunch of high density, multi-family buildings that reduced costs by using a co-operative model could open up housing options for people, especially millenials who are crunched between low paying jobs and high debt burdens. Of course, it doesn't sync with the American ideal of owning your own home, or at least having a home to call your own, but that ideal is probably due to be put out to pasture any day now anyway. Does HUD give out grants for non-profit housing that isn't specifically geared towards students?

Co-op houses sound nice (basically multi-roommate places, which are somewhat common already) but aren't nearly prevalent enough that I've seen, at least not by design. It'd be nice to have a whole district dedicated to them, to centralize the management, networking to find roommates, etc.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 18, 2014

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

effectual posted:

There are also geological concerns with SF that might limit how tall buildings can be (or require extra costs to EQ-proof them).

This hasn't been a problem in Japan, though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Seriously. We KNOW how to build earthquake proof buildings these days.

In fact the height restrictions make the city more vulnerable to earthquakes because a 100 year old 2-story building is far more vulnerable than a modern skyscraper.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

ShadowHawk posted:

Seriously. We KNOW how to build earthquake proof buildings these days.

In fact the height restrictions make the city more vulnerable to earthquakes because a 100 year old 2-story building is far more vulnerable than a modern skyscraper.

But my quaint neighborhood!

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
If Houston's urban area -- not metro so excluding all the lovely suburbs and exurbs -- were as dense as New York, it would hold more than 17 million people. If Houston was as dense as Manhattan, over 44 million people would live there, which, incidentally, is greater than the population of California. Granted there is almost no pressure to build up instead out but holy poo poo.

(figures regarding area and population density taken from Wikipedia, all math errors are to be blamed on Windows Calculator)

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mike- posted:

San Francisco is a place you expect housing to work differently though. There are land constraints so land pricing is going to work differently than a place where you can just build outwards. I'm sure the house the hoarder lived in was basically worthless while the land accounted for most of the price. Modifying the restrictions on building height would help, but who knows how much.

There are similar constraints in New York and in plenty of other cities, but San Francisco has got the highest rents in the country and it's just getting worse. In large part that's because San Francisco resolutely refuses to consider the sort of solutions that other cities have tried. What's truly infuriating is that the activist left in San Francisco, which seems like it should be a very strong voice for change, is more interested in chasing fantasies about evil landlords and speculators.

I hold no love for rentier parasites, but the absolutely central reason for the exploding cost of living in San Francisco seems so obviously to be that lots of people want to live there.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Is Japan built on piles of trash too?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

effectual posted:

A lot of pacific rim countries have a lovely foundation that is basically wet sand.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Runaktla posted:

(3) De-centralize the local industry. This is of course case by case depending on industry. As an attorney, the Courts could modify to allow videoconferencing for court hearings. Actually one of my court rooms I appear in regularly is doing a test run of that. The courts already have a court call system for attending via telephone which has been used regularly for at least a decade.

Local businesses are moving from the downtown core to suburban areas with disasterous effects on traffic here in st. louis. While 10 years ago the majority of the peak traffic was headed from west to east, today nearly all the highways are chronically clogged everywhere from companies that have taken root in the suburbs. It's far easier to target transit to a CBD than it is to target transit to 100 corporate parks in the suburbs.

Additionally moving the company out of downtown doesn't mean that its now being moved closer to where people live. As soon as my company went from downtown to the western edge of the county people started selling their suburban houses and buying them across the missouri river in st. charles. No matter what, a certain segment of the population has to live at least 20-30 miles drive from where they work in America. Hell, I know people who work on weekends to pay for their gas so they can work in st. louis county from the more rural areas of the state. At least one person commutes over 100 miles a day at my company from downstate illinois too.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Peven Stan posted:

Local businesses are moving from the downtown core to suburban areas with disasterous effects on traffic here in st. louis. While 10 years ago the majority of the peak traffic was headed from west to east, today nearly all the highways are chronically clogged everywhere from companies that have taken root in the suburbs. It's far easier to target transit to a CBD than it is to target transit to 100 corporate parks in the suburbs.

It also makes it impossible to build public transit. Its hard enough getting working bus lines/light rail/subways into major downtown areas, it'll never happen if business are scattered all over the place.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

effectual posted:

Co-op houses sound nice (basically multi-roommate places, which are somewhat common already) but aren't nearly prevalent enough that I've seen, at least not by design. It'd be nice to have a whole district dedicated to them, to centralize the management, networking to find roommates, etc.

Sort of related to coop housing, in Boston there is a really interesting community organization called the Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative. It is basically a very poor area of Boston that decided it had to take radical action to try and control and foster it's own development. They have done a lot of very impressive work to improve their community.

Among other things they have tried to keep their neighborhood affordable through a trust system - basically, if you buy a property through the organization, you agree to conditions on its resale that restrict who you can sell it to and how much, in order to keep the property owned by residents and available at a reasonable price. It's prevents people buying up their homes to rent, and it stops people profiting from neighborhood works by selling up their house and driving residents out of the community.

They do face a lot of challenges, though. For one thing, very few banks are interested in providing mortgages for property that is so tightly controlled. It's a pretty good sample of what people can accomplish, though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Runaktla posted:

I suppose I am basically saying relocate the federal government, or parts of it. I don't know your industry but it is a case by case situation The options in that scenario are:

(1) High density housing that is affordable. This would cause local congestion.

(2) These businesses/entities paying employees better to better compete for the local housing available. This will keep driving up prices however.

1) Economic activity causes congestion. An uncongested road is a cost/benefit analysis that someone hosed up. This is why we have multple modes and also higher efficiency modes than automobiles.

3) This already happened decades ago. American industry is already decentralized, with the exception of industries that have some serious geographic reason to be in cities. Teleconferencing has been pitched as a solution for decades if not more. The technology has existed for decades as well, but it's not very popular. As it gets cheaper it gets more popular but there are still sound economic reasons for hot white collar creative industries to be based in cities, mainly because that's where their workers want to live. Very few people want to live in rural Missouri staying in their tract home teleworking and recreating with a device for 12 hours a day.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 18, 2014

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Regardless, I do think we will see more and more attempts at actually making remote work a thing. I'm at a point in my life where I can happily live in either a very cheap suburb or a relatively nearby expensive city. This means a remote job could pay me significantly less but I'd still prefer it. Businesses, then, have a strong profit motive to figure out how to remotify what work they can.

I know I'm not everyone, but there are surely some people like me. And there are surely some people who even prefer cheap suburbs to urban living regardless of the money.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

I know I'm not everyone, but there are surely some people like me. And there are surely some people who even prefer cheap suburbs to urban living regardless of the money.
No one prefers Applebee's and "Westland Heights, A Family Community [HOA NOTICE: RECORDING IN PROGRESS]"

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Everblight posted:

"[HOA NOTICE: RECORDING IN PROGRESS]"

This is actually a thing?!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've seen/visited several 'communities' which have sternly-worded signs upon entry to their lovely, confusing, non-grid-layout corner of 'Locust Ave and Cherry Ln' to the effect of "NOTICE: ALL CAR LICENSE PLATES ARE RECORDED." You can't imagine until you actually see some of these busybodies out there with a ruler held up measuring someone's grass how much suburbanites make living around them so insufferable.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

effectual posted:

Yes. Or at least, Tokyo is. About 20% of it is build on "reclaimed land". And there are plenty of large modern cities with larger percentages. Replacing old short buildings in San Francisco with tall modern buildings is going to make it more resistant to earthquake damage, not less.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Everblight posted:

No one prefers Applebee's and "Westland Heights, A Family Community [HOA NOTICE: RECORDING IN PROGRESS]"

No, but plenty of people feel like things are too crowded living in a low-density suburb, let alone an inner-city high rise. Like Peven Stan brought up, moving office jobs out to the suburbs just makes some people move out 20-30 miles into the country. Long commutes are not just caused by poor service workers who are unable to afford living in an expensive city like SF or NYC. Some people really do prefer living out in the boonies, they're just forced to endure long rear end commutes to get to their jobs. The people who post in this forum are disproportionately young and educated. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that not everyone in America wants to live in a hip urban area full of creatives. There's just enough to push up rents.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

It also makes it impossible to build public transit. Its hard enough getting working bus lines/light rail/subways into major downtown areas, it'll never happen if business are scattered all over the place.

Not only that, but tax dollars that could've gone to funding transit are now being diverted to rebuild our western edged north south belt I-270 (I-170 was supposed to be the inner north south belt but NIMBYs shut down the southern half so its just one half of a belt) because its chronically congested with people transiting from one part of suburban st. louis county to the next. During peak hours it will take you literally an hour and a half to drive from the western edge of the city to the concentrated suburbs in western st. louis county. This is an area of missouri that contains 1.3 million people and yet I've experienced traffic that's far more manageable at rush hour in much larger european cities due to density and access to transit.

gently caress, forget Europe, I remember taking the orange line from midway to a downtown chicago hotel and that taking far less time than making the same trip in a taxi during rush hour.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

ChipNDip posted:

No, but plenty of people feel like things are too crowded living in a low-density suburb, let alone an inner-city high rise. Like Peven Stan brought up, moving office jobs out to the suburbs just makes some people move out 20-30 miles into the country. Long commutes are not just caused by poor service workers who are unable to afford living in an expensive city like SF or NYC. Some people really do prefer living out in the boonies, they're just forced to endure long rear end commutes to get to their jobs. The people who post in this forum are disproportionately young and educated. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that not everyone in America wants to live in a hip urban area full of creatives. There's just enough to push up rents.

I don't have a major dog in this fight, but youth is by no means the only indicator of an urban preference. Retirees dig it too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Everblight posted:

Nice generalization :rolleyes:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Nice generalization :rolleyes:
For real though monoculture is loving toxic and probably a major reason racism still exists. Completely ignoring food quality (which is awful), if all you know is Applebee's, and their corporate 'experience managers' make sure you have the blandest, most milquetoast middle-America experience possible, you don't grow to understand or appreciate the company of anyone different than you.

I'm sure redlining is still a major issue, but I would wager urban dwellers are, on the whole, less racist than suburban rear end in a top hat white-flighters.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You know minorities live in suburbs too, right? And there are ethnic businesses too?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FCKGW posted:

You know minorities live in suburbs too, right? And there are ethnic businesses too?

You know about what the phrase "on the whole" means as a qualifier, right? And what "statistically significant" means?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I'm kind of curious, what are you getting at with statistically significant?

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Bread Dragon posted:

I don't have a major dog in this fight, but youth is by no means the only indicator of an urban preference. Retirees dig it too.
Not really. And just like previous generations, milennials are leaving the city as soon as they have kids.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

wow a deliberately contrarian piece from forbes with studies from academic group Better Homes and Gardens

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

ChipNDip posted:

Not really. And just like previous generations, milennials are leaving the city as soon as they have kids.
I read that entire joke of an article and no where in it could I find evidence that "millenials are leaving the city as soon as they have kids". I hope this helps.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Similarly millennials have not, as some hope, given up on home ownership, something closely associated with suburbia.

Wow, this article is poo poo.

I don't think you actually read it, either. Your argument makes more sense if I assume you just read the title.

Haha it's the first google hit for "millenials move to suburbs"

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 19, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mike- posted:

I'm kind of curious, what are you getting at with statistically significant?

I asserted that lovely bland white people fled the cities for the suburbs in droves.

FCKGW countered with "minorities moved to the suburbs too," which I guess is sort of a reverse #notallwhites

I re-asserted that the number (and percentage) of minorities living in communities that were built specifically to avoid minorities is probably less than that in an urban center.

Put another way, there's a lot more Chinese-Americans in San Francisco than in Sausalito. I don't see what's controversial about that statement.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

To be completely fair every time we have this discussion in the forums there's at least a few goons who spring out of the woodwork to comment that they like the suburbs. I don't understand it, but respect it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Everblight posted:

I asserted that lovely bland white people fled the cities for the suburbs in droves.

FCKGW countered with "minorities moved to the suburbs too," which I guess is sort of a reverse #notallwhites

I re-asserted that the number (and percentage) of minorities living in communities that were built specifically to avoid minorities is probably less than that in an urban center.

Put another way, there's a lot more Chinese-Americans in San Francisco than in Sausalito. I don't see what's controversial about that statement.

No, ShadowHawk commented that he, like perhaps some other posters here, might enjoy some aspects of suburb life over urban life to which you replied.

Everblight posted:

Asserting that 1) no one really wants to live in the suburbs and that 2) every suburb is a bland HOA/Applebees wasteland.

I'm just saying that not all suburbs are your narrow view of what you think a suburb is.

ShadowHawk posted:

To be completely fair every time we have this discussion in the forums there's at least a few goons who spring out of the woodwork to comment that they like the suburbs. I don't understand it, but respect it.

And there's always the goons who say i should be strung from a tree because I have the audacity to want to live somewhere with a yard.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Everblight posted:

This doesn't have anything to do with statistical significance.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
One of the Iron Rules of Something Awful is that every thread about cities inevitably devolves into bickering about how cities/not cities are awful places to live and the residents should be ashamed.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

One of the Iron Rules of Something Awful is that every thread about cities inevitably devolves into bickering about how cities/not cities are awful places to live and the residents should be ashamed.

And another thing, how do you pronounce .gif anyways?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Everblight posted:

Speaking of white flight and San Francisco:

total population, 1950: 775,357
non-hispanic white population: 693,888 (89.5%)

total population, 2010: 805,235
non-hispanic white population: 337,451 (41.9%)

And for Oakland:

total population, 1950: 384,575
non-hispanic white population: 328,797 (85.0%)

total population, 2010: 390,724
non-hispanic white population: 101,308 (25.9%)

edit: for the entire Bay Area:

total population, 1950: 2,681,322
non-hispanic white population: 2,457,727 (91.5%)

total population, 2010: 7,150,739
non-hispanic white population: 3,032,903 (42.4%)

Step up your birth rate game and/or stop moving to the Central Valley/Nevada/Oregon/Texas, whities :smug:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Everblight posted:

You know about what the phrase "on the whole" means as a qualifier, right? And what "statistically significant" means?

It depends on where you live. St. Louis county is around 20% black and that number has increased over time. The hilarious thing is that as black people have moved out to the burbs white people around here are taking off and moving even further west past the Missouri river. Of course, while st charles county is 90% white today I totally expect that figure to shrink considerably as the area becomes more and more populated, forcing a white exodus again further west along I-70.

• Locked thread