Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Asuron posted:

What we really need is a Davy Back type arc to give us more time with the crew. It was nice to get a short arc like that and have all those funny interactions.

Mr. Maltose posted:

What we need is another Davy Back arc. Bring back Foxy with a cool new post-timeskip design, that's what I say.

I will murder the both of you in your sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

AnonSpore posted:

I will murder the both of you in your sleep

A new Davy Back arc would be the best, why do you hate fun? :colbert:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Vivi isn't a hugely interesting character though; she had a lot to do during Baroque Works and Alabasta, but without those she's just a regular person with a duck.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Davy Back was so boring my eyes rolled back in my head.

Shirahoshi becoming a strawhat would be the best. She wouldn't have to do anything. She would just stand around being huge and making every panel more amusing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Captain Invictus posted:

Two people who have absolutely no clue whatsoever about anything One Piece(or anime really) do a quick look of a recent One Piece game. Their reactions to various characters is preeeeeetty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7i7Nfw-cIo

I just wish they had gotten to see Zoro fight so I could see their reactions :allears:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Pretty sure Jimbe is the 10th and anyone else that comes along is going to be part of the strawhat fleet and/or outside ally.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Mr. Fowl posted:

I just wish they had gotten to see Zoro fight so I could see their reactions :allears:

I'm torn between their reactions of Franky shooting lazers and showing his body is powered by cola, or Chopper transformations, ending with his titan shift.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sub Harrison posted:

I'm torn between their reactions of Franky shooting lazers and showing his body is powered by cola, or Chopper transformations, ending with his titan shift.

They at least got to see the name Franky Radical Beam which was almost as good.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

They probably watched the anime.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
In the Black/White morality of the shonen manga, it's nice to see a dude who is not evil or necessarily malevolent but really just an rear end in a top hat. Foxy is that dude.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I think the people who think DBF was bad are remembering the anime version, which was undoubtably worse. Roller Ring Bullshit with fuckin' Leopard Man and Sanji supporting Porche by kicking underwater during the Red Light Green Light thing was stupid as poo poo. The manga version, however, was amazing! Chopper freaking out because he only became a pirate to be with Luffy, Zoro shutting him up, Zoro and Sanji co-operating for the first time in the entire series (and EASILY defeating powerful enemies the second they did so) were some of the coolest moments in Paradise. Not to mention no matter how you want to divide it to suit your argument, Long Ring Long island and the Aokiji encounter are technically part of that arc as well. It was great, face it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Advice posted:

I think the people who think DBF was bad are remembering the anime version, which was undoubtably worse. Roller Ring Bullshit with fuckin' Leopard Man and Sanji supporting Porche by kicking underwater during the Red Light Green Light thing was stupid as poo poo. The manga version, however, was amazing! Chopper freaking out because he only became a pirate to be with Luffy, Zoro shutting him up, Zoro and Sanji co-operating for the first time in the entire series (and EASILY defeating powerful enemies the second they did so) were some of the coolest moments in Paradise. Not to mention no matter how you want to divide it to suit your argument, Long Ring Long island and the Aokiji encounter are technically part of that arc as well. It was great, face it.

Zoro and Sanji laying out those three dudes is still one of my favorite parts of the show.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Advice posted:

I think the people who think DBF was bad are remembering the anime version, which was undoubtably worse.

It's a shame too, because it really could've been awesome animated.

I think part of the problem though is that it's between Skypeia and Water 7. The DBF being awesome and laid back was needed, especially at that point in the story, but I can see people not liking it for sticking out at being too different to everything around it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Mr. Maltose posted:

In the Black/White morality of the shonen manga, it's nice to see a dude who is not evil or necessarily malevolent but really just an rear end in a top hat. Foxy is that dude.

You mean Blackbeard right?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Advice posted:

Nope, I never watched a single episode of the anime and it was still poo poo. :colbert:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Veskit posted:

You mean Blackbeard right?

Are you joking? Do you not remember Blackbeard brutally murdering Thatch in cold blood for his Devil Fruit?

Dude is pretty malevolent, if not evil by Shonen standards.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Blackbeard is pretty much a cowardly, immoral version of Luffy.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
That's Buggy, dude.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where was it established that Blackbeard is cowardly? I don't remember anything like that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Didn't Whitebeard straight up tell him the Will Of D wasn't in a man as cowardly as he was?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Where was it established that Blackbeard is cowardly? I don't remember anything like that.

When he thought Whitebeard was about to kill him he was scared shitless and was pleading for his life, compared to Luffy or Roger's smiling in the face of death.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

ladyboy pancake posted:

That's Buggy, dude.

That's Shichibukai Buggy D. Clown to you.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Are you joking? Do you not remember Blackbeard brutally murdering Thatch in cold blood for his Devil Fruit?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't in cold blood, the implication was that he completely lost his poo poo when he saw Thatch about to eat his life's goal. He would have just stolen the fruit away if he could have, after all.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

TheRamblingSoul posted:

When do we see that?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Last Celebration posted:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't in cold blood, the implication was that he completely lost his poo poo when he saw Thatch about to eat his life's goal. He would have just stolen the fruit away if he could have, after all.

No it was calculated. Thatch had a conversation with a group of people about getting a devil fruit and Blackbeard happened to be there. Blackbeard then waited until everyone went their way, killed Thatch, and took off. Blackbeard could have asked Thatch for the fruit or offered something in trade if Thatch had turned him down, which it seemed like Thatch would have been cool with. Instead Blackbeard just surprise murdered him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk48KMnkuSU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gyges posted:

No it was calculated. Thatch had a conversation with a group of people about getting a devil fruit and Blackbeard happened to be there. Blackbeard then waited until everyone went their way, killed Thatch, and took off. Blackbeard could have asked Thatch for the fruit or offered something in trade if Thatch had turned him down, which it seemed like Thatch would have been cool with. Instead Blackbeard just surprise murdered him.

Maybe I missed it in the manga, but that seems like anime filler. All we saw in the manga was literally one panel of Thatch holding the fruit and Blackbeard getting furious in the background.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Maybe I missed it in the manga, but that seems like anime filler. All we saw in the manga was literally one panel of Thatch holding the fruit and Blackbeard getting furious in the background.

Yeah that's anime filler.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

TheRamblingSoul posted:

No I don't remember it because that's not what happened in the manga. Please show your work. It's been a common running topic that Blackbeard isn't evil. You'd have to write a case for it because it isn't that simple. In fact, I still stand by my statement that Blackbeard isn't a black and white character. He's in a grey area along with the crew.

In fact I'd wager Zoro and or Robin has murdered way more people than Blackbeard.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 10, 2014

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
blackbeard mentions the fruit chose him, im not even sure if he killed thatch in cold blood.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Isn't the reason Ace even chased after Blackbeard is because he killed Thatch? Like I have no idea how he was killed, but Blackbeard had to kill him otherwise he wouldn't have fled with Ace chasing him.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

bobjr posted:

Isn't the reason Ace even chased after Blackbeard is because he killed Thatch? Like I have no idea how he was killed, but Blackbeard had to kill him otherwise he wouldn't have fled with Ace chasing him.

Na, no one's saying that Blackbeard never killed Thatch, he openly admits that. It's just that cold-blooded murder kind of makes a difference in how evil he is.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Dude killed his brother to get fruit powers, pretty unambiguously evil to me.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Dude killed his brother to get fruit powers, pretty unambiguously evil to me.

He had to or else he couldn't eat two fruits.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lpzie posted:

He had to or else he couldn't eat two fruits.

So he split his soul in half with a Horcrux?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Last Celebration posted:

Na, no one's saying that Blackbeard never killed Thatch, he openly admits that. It's just that cold-blooded murder kind of makes a difference in how evil he is.

How else can you describe what happened? It wasn't like Blackbeard asked him "Hey I've been searching for that DF my whole life, can I have it please?" and then Thatch just attacked him forcing him to defend himself. Blackbeard coveted the DF and knew he'd have to kill to get it. It was cold, calculated murder.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It still doesn't make him mavelonent or evil until you understand his motivations better regardless of how cold the murder was.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Yep. Murdering your brother in cold blood is pretty morally ambiguous.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Wittgen posted:

Yep. Murdering your brother in cold blood is pretty morally ambiguous.

In a world where one of the protagonist murdered an entire city for dubious reasons, yeah it can be ambiguous. There are a lot of shades of what good and evil is. It's easily arguable that Luffy is more evil than Blackbeard for harboring so many mass murdering fuckwads but nobody would look at him as evil. It's perspective and relativity.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 10, 2014

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Veskit posted:

In a world where one of the protagonist murdered an entire city for dubious reasons, yeah it can be ambiguous. There are a lot of shades of what good and evil is. It's easily arguable that Luffy is more evil than Blackbeard for harboring so many mass murdering fuckwads but nobody would look at him as evil. It's perspective and relativity.
I get what you're trying to say but in this case it is as black-and-white as it god drat gets. He wanted something for the benefit of himself only, and he took it and killed anyone who stood in the way. What else should he do to qualify as evil, run babies in the mixer?

Also, which of the protagonists murdered an entire city?
Oh, Zoro on whiskey peak. Well, those were all diagonal slashes across the chest, they'll be fine in the morning. (See: Bleach)

Bisse fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kenster
Jun 21, 2013

First of all, that Clocktown could really use a floating celestial object of doom... With a face!

Veskit posted:

Luffy is more evil than Blackbeard for harboring so many mass murdering fuckwads

An entire zero people who have taken a life, let alone multiple. I don't quite see why you are so bent making a case that Blackbeard is totes cool when the only time we have ever seen him not be an explicitly conniving badman is when he ate some pie and gave a speech about pirate dreams.

• Locked thread