Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

George posted:

I thought it was a quotation mark.
Yeah, I think that's the case. The subtitles for this game were pretty clearly a rushed job; there's a lot of typos as well as subtitling completely different things from what is said.

edit: Quoting for the next page:

anilEhilated posted:

In Chapter 14: I'm Content To Kill Right Here, we get to enjoy a bit of song and dance. Revelations occur, Wangs are dropped and henchmen set on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

As you demonstrate the Berserkers more and more in normal mode, it really does feel like that was more what the game was meant to be played, and certainly shows them off as less of a dick enemy to deal with. It's really more of a showcase of just how much health enemies get on harder difficulties then their actual design for how frustrated I got with them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not all enemies, really. Most of them get fairly reasonable upgrades, it's just the flyers and berserkers that turn completely absurd.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Chapter 15: I Wish I Knew How To Quit You features only emotional violence. That's not to say nothing happens in there.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Is it me, or does that whisperer look different to the others we've seen? I'd Honstly say it looked a little like Lo-wang.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
That little conversation between Xing and Lo Wang right at the start is beautiful. "Sorry, reflex. I used to be an rear end in a top hat."

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

This level is amazing and is what solidified the greatness of this game for me. This and the last level, but we'll get there when we get there.

edit: Clarification.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 31, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
After rewatching that video and quickly going back to skim a few earlier ones I think the most impressive part is how Lo Wang's character has changed quite significantly from the start of the game but there is no part you can just point to and say 'and here he redeemed himself and stopped being an rear end in a top hat' it's just a natural character arc as Lo Wang slowly realizes exactly how deep the poo poo he has gotten into is.

A character arc that flows as well as this is very rare even in literature and movies; in video games it's almost unheard of. Whoever the writer(s?) were for this game they knew their stuff.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Here's the thing: I don't believe Lo Wang actually stops being an rear end in a top hat. What's the argument he uses to turn Hoji? It's pure, childish, spite. "You can't let Enra win! It doesn't matter what he's planning, he's a dick!" - and remember, he's doing this all in order to fulfill his hero fantasy and murder Zilla; hell, he's effectively preventing Hoji from paying for his crimes (and here's another interesting analogy - Hoji and Xing, both traitors, both punished, both turned completely different; that we get to meet them in this sequence is hardly a coincidence. I honestly had a very hard time empathising with Hoji at this point when I played first). It's all about doing the right thing for the worst loving reasons imanigable.
That's not say Wang doesn't have his moment, but in my opinion it's a lot more low-key and will come next chapter. And I honestly can't wait to see some folks' reactions on the finale. But that's getting two levels ahead...

Now that I think of it, this is the kind of poo poo I normally stick into the commentary so I fully blame the level being so talkative.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 31, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh yeah Lo Wang is still an rear end in a top hat but there's more to him than just that now; at the start of the game 'rear end in a top hat with a Sword' pretty much summed up the entirety of Lo Wang's character, now he is still an rear end in a top hat but in some ways he is trying not to be, or at least trying not to be a complete rear end in a top hat.

As for the argument against Hoji; on the one hand yeah it seems like kind of a shallow argument but on the other hand Enra has demonstrated that he is a complete and utter piece of poo poo who rules the Shadow Realm through fear and power, forcing those who disagree with him to give up their literal memories until they obey him. Xing really hammers that point home; the poor bastard has lost so much of himself that there's almost nothing left. There is one very good reason why nobody should side with Enra and that is because Enra has proven himself to be an untrustworthy power-hungry tyrant of truly epic proportions.

I mean christ just look at Xing, Enra did that do him. I cannot think of any good reason why anyone would ever want to serve a being that does that to his subordinates.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well... If you remember Xing's flashback, he says something along the lines of "now they offer me a way to undo my wrongs". It's similar with the other two - they don't state it outright but both at least imply the whisperer business was voluntary, the notion is "if this is what it takes, I'll do it". They know their realm is dying, they know they need the sword and they know one of them has to die permanently anyway.
I know I'm playing Devil's advocate here (pretty much literally), but consider this: Xing's crime was treason, Hoji condemned an entire world. One can assume Enra is keeping them around for when he finally manages to get the sword.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

anilEhilated posted:

Well... If you remember Xing's flashback, he says something along the lines of "now they offer me a way to undo my wrongs". It's similar with the other two - they don't state it outright but both at least imply the whisperer business was voluntary, the notion is "if this is what it takes, I'll do it". They know their realm is dying, they know they need the sword and they know one of them has to die permanently anyway.
I know I'm playing Devil's advocate here (pretty much literally), but consider this: Xing's crime was treason, Hoji condemned an entire world. One can assume Enra is keeping them around for when he finally manages to get the sword.

Hah, they might think it was voluntary but I sincerely doubt that is actually true. Enra strikes me as the kind of being who twists the truth until it is almost unrecognizable and deliberately seeks out beings at their most vulnerable so as to enact a deal with the devil.

The other reality is we don't actually know what happened and more importantly we don't know the reasons why. Hoji appears to have attempted to destroy the entire Shadow Realm but that makes no loving sense at all in and of itself and if that is actually what Hoji did then why, you have to be mightily upset to attempt to destroy an entire world. What the hell did Enra do to piss Hoji off that much?

I'm not trying to say Hoji and Xing are blameless, they very clearly did some very bad things. But Enra has been so very careful and so very thorough about removing everyone's memories related to what happened that I cannot help but assume he is hiding something; nobody who wasn't hiding something would go to that much effort to erase that knowledge.

That said I haven't played the game so I could be entirely wrong! We shall have to wait and see. Personally my guess is that we'll find that all of this was directly Enra's fault, possibly he made an attempt at omnipotence or physical godhood and ruined everything.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 31, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Neruz posted:

Hah, they might think it was voluntary but I sincerely doubt that is actually true. Enra strikes me as the kind of being who twists the truth until it is almost unrecognizable and deliberately seeks out beings at their most vulnerable so as to enact a deal with the devil.

The other reality is we don't actually know what happened and more importantly we don't know the reasons why. Hoji appears to have attempted to destroy the entire Shadow Realm but that makes no loving sense at all in and of itself and if that is actually what Hoji did then why, you have to be mightily upset to attempt to destroy an entire world. What the hell did Enra do to piss Hoji off that much?

I'm not trying to say Hoji and Xing are blameless, they very clearly did some very bad things. But Enra has been so very careful and so very thorough about removing everyone's memories related to what happened that I cannot help but assume he is hiding something; nobody who wasn't hiding something would go to that much effort to erase that knowledge.

That said I haven't played the game so I could be entirely wrong! We shall have to wait and see. Personally my guess is that we'll find that all of this was directly Enra's fault, possibly he made an attempt at omnipotence or physical godhood and ruined everything.

we still need to have one or two exposition cutscenes that will complete the puzzle. Just wait a bit until we get to the next whisperer.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

double nine posted:

we still need to have one or two exposition cutscenes that will complete the puzzle. Just wait a bit until we get to the next whisperer.

Yeah things are definitely coming to a head. I expect the next two videos will put the last few pieces into place and then we can properly judge who is the biggest rear end in a top hat in this story.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. There's actually only two levels left in the game.
And I do admit I've been talking up Enra as a fairly good guy throughout the thread on purpose. A sinister one, obviously.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Just caught up, so two comments - the commentary is great, keep on trucking.

Iretep posted:

People who willingly use flamethrowers are usually also insane in some way. It takes a sick man to be able to watch another human burn alive.

The US army did a ton of studies of the effectiveness of flamethrowers and concluded that they basically never kill anyone, but people are so afraid of the burning alive thing that they are unwilling to stick around and generally surrender immediately. Thus they are immensely useful for attacking fortified positions and similar, though the range limitations make it tough. However, they are finicky, unreliable and potentially dangerous to the operator, for example: http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/chemsincmbt/ch14.htm

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Flamethrowers are a gigantic pain in the rear end but when it comes to clearing out enclosed spaces they are amazing; the real damage is actually the horrifically noxious gases that the flames emit which basically force anyone in a fortified position to abandon it or choke to death.

That said, modern arms provide a number of alternatives for dealing with fortified enemy positions that while not quite as effective are much less of a pain in the rear end to use and thus are preferable in most situations which is why you don't see flamethrowers very often. The Nazis also briefly experimented with chemical throwers that basically shot unbelievably toxic chemicals for similar effect but discontinued the effort due to the health hazards for users and friendly troops in the vicinity. Probably the most well known of these was the very brief attempt at using Chlorine Trifluoride. For those of you without any knowledge of chemistry Chlorine Trifluoride is quite possibly the most terrifying chemical known to man; it is capable of burning wet sand and is a stronger oxidizing agent than oxygen itself. It is straight up the most vigorous fluorinating agent known and any chemists reading this just had a little moment of pure undiluted horror at the prospect of coming within an actual mile of this stuff.

There are records of a one ton spill of the Chlorine Trifluoride that promptly ate through (aka burned through) a foot of concrete and then another meter of sand and gravel beneath that before it was brought under control. Oh and it releases great clouds of hydrofluoric acid as it burns. Because of course it does. There were some attempts at using the stuff as rocket fuel before it was concluded that it was just too volatile. :stonk:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
It was also(Very briefly) tried as a rocket fuel, with predictable results that this quote from John Clark's book Ignition! explains:

quote:

”It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals-steel, copper, aluminium, etc.-because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminium keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.”

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
And if the line 'so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured' doesn't absolutely terrify you then you need to go look up what hypergolic means. As far as I am aware the only worse materials we know of are ones that are so volatile that storing them is completely impossible (aka they ignite on contact with literally anything, rather than almost anything :stonk:)

Neruz fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 2, 2014

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I still love the "It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers" line myself.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Liquid oxygen is also terrifying not that in it melts you into goo but rather that it makes literally anything you coat/soak it with violently explosive.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Neruz posted:

Probably the most well known of these was the very brief attempt at using Chlorine Trifluoride. For those of you without any knowledge of chemistry Chlorine Trifluoride is quite possibly the most terrifying chemical known to man; it is capable of burning wet sand and is a stronger oxidizing agent than oxygen itself.

It would, however, be quite well known to anyone who's ever played Space Station 13 where it is almost as terrifying.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Fabricated posted:

Liquid oxygen is also terrifying not that in it melts you into goo but rather that it makes literally anything you coat/soak it with violently explosive.

Chlorine Trifluoride oxidizes things (makes them catch fire or explode) better than liquid oxygen.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Neruz posted:

Chlorine Trifluoride oxidizes things (makes them catch fire or explode) better than liquid oxygen.

Yeah, but the latter is far easier to get. :v:

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Is it not possible to mix it fire extinguisher style as needed? Harmless A + harmless B = horribly explosive C?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Seems the way Wang would do it.
Just dropping by to say that I find the flamethrower talk rather fascinating and the next update will be late.
edit: I need to copy that test engineer line, remember it and quote it whenever applicable.
Hell, I might even get to use that once.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 3, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cryohazard posted:

Is it not possible to mix it fire extinguisher style as needed? Harmless A + harmless B = horribly explosive C?

Not really, it involves mixing Fluorine gas with Chlorine gas, neither of which is even close to 'harmless' though they are less dangerous than the result of their combination. The exact process by which you make it doesn't seem to be publicly available but I imagine it involves high pressure and temperatures and is not the sort of thing that just happens when you mix the component parts.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

As I recall, the US Army has discontinued fielding Flamethrowers, having better tools to clear bunkers etc. that are slightly less likely to cause the operator to be reduced to a horrified quivvering wreck.

Having him talking with the soldier head man was pretty interesting too, just watching as he told MOSTLY the truth, but left out some teensy little details.
Though wasn't where Wang and Hoji made their entrance right in front of him?
Though I guess since he doesn't remember Hoji, he didn't have that much to say.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

Having him talking with the soldier head man was pretty interesting too, just watching as he told MOSTLY the truth, but left out some teensy little details.
Though wasn't where Wang and Hoji made their entrance right in front of him?
Though I guess since he doesn't remember Hoji, he didn't have that much to say.
If you mean Xing, then they didn't - Hoji got sent who knows where, Wang ended up before the owner of the whisperer he chopped up. We actually go through a portal of sorts in chapter 15, implying Hoji's lab was far away.
Should be noted that Xing is by far the most honest of the three Ancients we chatted with - he's the only one that doesn't hate Hoji's guts and/or isn't too stupid to be told anything of the background, so he spills with impunity, while the other two both try to resist or mislead our dynamic duo.
And he does remember Hoji - just nothing of what transpired around the revolution and poisoning. The cut scenes of their memories are literally our, er, cutscenes. The fact Wang didn't mention he's working for the other side could be viewed as guile - or simply mercy because this way Xing doesn't realize he's at least party to dooming the entire realm while being unable to do anything about it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 3, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Judging by the way Xing is portrayed and what we know about Whisperers I sincerely do not think he knew. Being beheaded has left him a little detached and uncaring about the affairs of others.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Neruz posted:

Judging by the way Xing is portrayed and what we know about Whisperers I sincerely do not think he knew. Being beheaded has left him a little detached and uncaring about the affairs of others.

I see what you did there

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not to toot my own Wang, but Shadow Warrior 2013 is currently on sale on Steam; don't know about the US price but here it's 6,2 euros. Which seems pretty nice to me.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I still feel you should give sanctum 2 another chance though, even if the weakspots are poo poo, has the best feeling rocket launcher in recent gaming history :v:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Just FYI - Shadow Warrior is 75% off on Steam for the next 31 hours!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, Chapter 16: Make It Right should be finished uploading in about an hour and a half, so I'm leaving it on. I'm not very happy about the video, had to record commentary in somewhat emergency conditions so it features a bit of stutter and another guest appearance by Hawkeye who just can't leave my laptop alone. Sadly, I accidentally saved that audio and I'd have to redo the entire thing from scratch, which would probably take a couple weeks given my schedule nowadays.
It should be watchable, I'm leaving the judgment up to you: if the consensus is the video/commentary is terrible, I'll redo it at some later point. That being said, it's not like the audio quality of this LP was very high to begin with and I'm still learning my ropes.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

anilEhilated posted:

Okay, Chapter 16: Make It Right should be finished uploading in about an hour and a half, so I'm leaving it on. I'm not very happy about the video, had to record commentary in somewhat emergency conditions so it features a bit of stutter and another guest appearance by Hawkeye who just can't leave my laptop alone. Sadly, I accidentally saved that audio and I'd have to redo the entire thing from scratch, which would probably take a couple weeks given my schedule nowadays.
It should be watchable, I'm leaving the judgment up to you: if the consensus is the video/commentary is terrible, I'll redo it at some later point. That being said, it's not like the audio quality of this LP was very high to begin with and I'm still learning my ropes.

Could be worse. You could be potentially facing re-doing level 13 (or whichever was the super horrible one)

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

anilEhilated posted:

well it's not loading for me so I'm going with "not watcheable".

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

When I got to this point, I really loved how Lo Wang just doesn't give a poo poo and shows his combat superiority off over Zilla by just cutting his drat arm off, and even has his priorities straight for the sword. And oh man you guys are in for a treat for the last level. Seeing that beautiful blade complete has got me so excited right now! :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Let me tell you, that fight is no loving joke on Hard. You get to make maybe one wrong move with that Berserker in the final wave and if you don't immediately heal up to the maximum limit while avoiding subsequent charges or ground pounds you're dead. I'm just glad they didn't throw in the flying demons because that probably would have made it impossible.

Also note that it checkpoints between every wave. Try to learn from that nearly every single other loving developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

TCat posted:

well it's not loading for me so I'm going with "not watcheable".

It's working now. Took a while.

• Locked thread