Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pucklynn posted:

Links don't work. :(

aaaagh hold on

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/videos/news/local/first-coast-living/2015/09/11/72069506/

and

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/videos/news/local/first-coast-living/2015/09/11/fcl-friday-september-11th-celestial-farms/72069878/

The camera adds 20lbs. Entirely in my neck it seems. The first bit is funny because freaking Bobcat Goldthwait kept cracking jokes about the goat. They loved her. Espescially when Dolly pissed on the couch, Curtis was doubled over laughing behind the camera guy.

Hug A Farm Animal Day went great! It was overcast and a bit of rain in the morning before the event, but it ended up working out in our favor, because the 9 yards of gravel that we ordered for the swampy parts of the parking area NEVER SHOWED UP. So we lost a good half of our parking. The volunteers we had in the parking area that day did great, only one van got stuck, and it was a lady that was a regular and reeealy should have known better then to try and park where she did.

We ended up getting more in donations then we ever had in one day, and the CrowdRise is finally getting some donations! We also got a bunch of new likes on our facebook, which is quite valuable.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

aaaagh hold on

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/videos/news/local/first-coast-living/2015/09/11/72069506/

and

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/videos/news/local/first-coast-living/2015/09/11/fcl-friday-september-11th-celestial-farms/72069878/

The camera adds 20lbs. Entirely in my neck it seems. The first bit is funny because freaking Bobcat Goldthwait kept cracking jokes about the goat. They loved her. Espescially when Dolly pissed on the couch, Curtis was doubled over laughing behind the camera guy.

Hug A Farm Animal Day went great! It was overcast and a bit of rain in the morning before the event, but it ended up working out in our favor, because the 9 yards of gravel that we ordered for the swampy parts of the parking area NEVER SHOWED UP. So we lost a good half of our parking. The volunteers we had in the parking area that day did great, only one van got stuck, and it was a lady that was a regular and reeealy should have known better then to try and park where she did.

We ended up getting more in donations then we ever had in one day, and the CrowdRise is finally getting some donations! We also got a bunch of new likes on our facebook, which is quite valuable.

You did great! To be fair to Dolly, I would probably pee on the couch if I was on TV too.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Suspect Bucket posted:

aaaagh hold on

and

You're in my hometown! That's awesome, and I may have to drop by and poke your goats next time I'm visiting family.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pucklynn posted:

You're in my hometown! That's awesome, and I may have to drop by and poke your goats next time I'm visiting family.

Whaaaaaaat. Definitely drop by. We're up on the northside by the airport. We do tours on Saturdays mostly, shoot us an e-mail volunteer@celestialfarms.org when you're in town next.

(I guess my Jagsvatar is too vauge)

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Suspect Bucket posted:

Whaaaaaaat. Definitely drop by. We're up on the northside by the airport. We do tours on Saturdays mostly, shoot us an e-mail volunteer@celestialfarms.org when you're in town next.

(I guess my Jagsvatar is too vauge)

I will! I usually fly into Jax, so I end up right around there anyways. I definitely didn't get your av, but it's been years since I even thought about the Jaguars anyways.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pucklynn posted:

I will! I usually fly into Jax, so I end up right around there anyways. I definitely didn't get your av, but it's been years since I even thought about the Jaguars anyways.

I don't blame you.

In non-goat news, the ditches are working GREAT. The barn is DRY and it is amazing.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What's been happening at the farm(s)?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Yes, give us an update on the ships and goots!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
No goat videos, but have a happy rescue donkey who HATES goats. He's a sweetheart though. Here he is going for a roll in a new batch of shavings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQopZy2_TPQ

We are STILL having an issue with worms. Our two youngest goats, Linda and Mal, are not recovering well at all from summer. It's been so hot and wet this summer, the worms had been going insane. It's finally cooling down and everyone's putting on weight again for winter, except those two.

ADVENTURES IN RESCUES OF lovely DISEASED GOATS.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 9, 2015

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Awww, DonDon! :kimchi:

Sorry to hear about the worm troubles, though. That sounds like a hell of a fight.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fall is a busy time on the farm. I sold 10 sheep and have another 4 just waiting to be picked up. It was super dry through September and my pasture was looking shittier and shittier so I decided to cut back as much as I could.

This year's remaining lambs are the Mooseling with horns, Valkyrie the cvm, and all three of Jazz's triplets.

I also traded Thistle's ewe lamb for a ewe lamb sired by a ram a sold a few years back. They wanted an unrelated girl so they wouldn't have to buy a new ram because they love Roman so much :3: I'll probably hang on to her for a while.

The cormo boys were the saddest to sell but they all went to really nice homes that will appreciate their lovely wool. They even got to stay in pairs so they'll have a friend they know.

After selling all those lambs to make room I actually ended up buying one. I was planning on picking up a new cvm ram next year but this guy was too good to pass up. He's a moorit badgerface which means that he's the same marking as Goliath but where ever a normal badgerface is black, this guy is chocolate brown. His name is Appomattox and he came all the way from Wisconsin.

I bought a livestock scale too so now I can tell you that this guy is exactly 82 lbs at 6 months old and is going to be freaking huge. It's a good thing he's really sweet. In typical romeldale fashion he doesn't care where he is or what is going on as long as he has food.

Breeding groups part 1 get put together next week and we should have lambs mid March next year! Except one early bird who is due February 23rd because she was a big fat hussy. I'm also having a new pasture fenced in this year so hopefully I'll get pictures of happy sheep out in the woods soon!

Edit:
Oh I also just finished shearing goats. They are unimpressed.

I have 2 small shearing jobs to do tomorrow and then I'll be done for the year.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 9, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I bought a livestock scale too so now I can tell you that this guy is exactly 82 lbs at 6 months old and is going to be freaking huge. It's a good thing he's really sweet. In typical romeldale fashion he doesn't care where he is or what is going on as long as he has food.

That is a solid-looking sheep :stare:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Thanks so much for the new photos! I always get a huge grin when you have photos of the critters in the back of your vehicle hee hee heeee! Your new fella is very handsome!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Man, locks are amazing to look at. And, I hear, to touch.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

piscesbobbie posted:

Thanks so much for the new photos! I always get a huge grin when you have photos of the critters in the back of your vehicle hee hee heeee! Your new fella is very handsome!
I do too, it looks like the kind of car my family's always had so you know, I'd expect the hatchback to pop open and there's groceries. But nope, sheep :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Tendai posted:

I do too, it looks like the kind of car my family's always had so you know, I'd expect the hatchback to pop open and there's groceries. But nope, sheep :3:

I always get people tailgating me when I have ships in the back and I start to get pissy then realize they just want to see the sheep. Today a little girl was cracking up about him behind me :3:

I really need to get a car magnet or something with the farm website and "yes that's a sheep" on it for how often I drive them around in the hatchback. It works out really well and is way easier/cheaper than taking the pickup.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I always get people tailgating me when I have ships in the back and I start to get pissy then realize they just want to see the sheep. Today a little girl was cracking up about him behind me :3:
I was going to say "when I was a kid that would have made me happy too" but you know screw that, I'm 32 and it would still delight me a ridiculous amount if I ended up behind someone with a sheep in their Subaru or something.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I once had a backseat full of guinea fowl and chickens. I was stuck on I-5 in Seattle at the time too. One of the chickens laid an egg while I was in terrible rush hour traffic. 4 guinea fowl, 2 chickens and 1 rooster. The rooster was the one sitting on the egg when I finally got home and released them from their carriers into their new coup.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The farm car is one of these babies. I got it when I first learned to drive and it took me back and forth to college and then moved me to my first adult apartment and now is a trusty sheepmobile. It looks kind of silly but it gets the job done and it's 13 years old so who cares if it gets a little dirty. I'm pretty sure it's entirely held together by dirt at this point.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I really need to get a car magnet or something with the farm website and "yes that's a sheep" on it for how often I drive them around in the hatchback. It works out really well and is way easier/cheaper than taking the pickup.

I would probably be one of those people if I lived close enough. I would even skip a few exits just to look and smile at the sight of sheep in the back of a vehicle :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How do the sheep generally cope with riding in the back of the car?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Somewhere out there, you know there's a YouTube video of your car driving down the road.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
We just had a litter of kunekunes born last Monday. :3:

This is their mom's first litter and she did very well; I fed everyone dinner that night, and she was acting completely normal, and I went back out to check on her two hours later and she had 6 clean, happy, nursing babies with her like it was no biggie. She's being a great mom. There are 3 gilts and 3 boars. :3:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Superconsndar posted:

This is their mom's first litter and she did very well; I fed everyone dinner that night, and she was acting completely normal, and I went back out to check on her two hours later and she had 6 clean, happy, nursing babies with her like it was no biggie. She's being a great mom. There are 3 gilts and 3 boars. :3:

congratulations! They sure are cutie pies :) little spotted one, gilt or boar?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

piscesbobbie posted:

congratulations! They sure are cutie pies :) little spotted one, gilt or boar?

A boar, of COURSE. It seems like the prettiest ones always turn out to be boars.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Superconsndar posted:

A boar, of COURSE. It seems like the prettiest ones always turn out to be boars.

He's destined to become bacon, I assume.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Superconsndar posted:

Such a purdy bacon seed :3: :chef:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

He's destined to become bacon, I assume.

He is. Honestly this litter is out of an unregistered sow so the whole litter is for bacon in this case. :chef:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Superconsndar posted:

Lookit that spotty little pig :3:

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

He is. Honestly this litter is out of an unregistered sow so the whole litter is for bacon in this case. :chef:

You could always start an experiment. A golden spotted hog, a breed named for goons.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The cutest little bacon! How often do they come out all speckled like that?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Bonster posted:

Somewhere out there, you know there's a YouTube video of your car driving down the road.

I've seen at least one person frantically taking pictures. It's almost always people with out of state plates so I guess Ohioans are used to seeing livestock in cars.

This is perfect! :allears:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

The cutest little bacon! How often do they come out all speckled like that?

Never. That pig is one in a million and she's going to heartlessly murder it. I think that's just something awful right there :ohdear: I hope she changes her mind :(

all the loving time, man. he's got a few more spots than normal but that just makes his bacon tastier.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Never. That pig is one in a million and she's going to heartlessly murder it. I think that's just something awful right there :ohdear: I hope she changes her mind :(

all the loving time, man. he's got a few more spots than normal but that just makes his bacon tastier.

Lmao yeah, most kunes are super spotty; if anything solid black is way less common than spots. This is a great grandpa of this litter:

The father of one of my boars:

Theres so much black in the litter because the mother isn't purebred; she has a small percentage of Guinea Hog in her background (guinea hogs are black) and it's masking all the pretty kune colors. Her being unregistered is why this litter is all for meat; I won't be having any registered litters until next year, and I am gradually shifting to all registered stock. Here are my actual purebred Kunes:

The gilt in the very last pic I actually just picked up on Thursday. She was out of a VERY spotty litter:

They're typically very spotty lil bacons :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Those are ridiculous pigs and even the adults are ridiculous :3: Do they stay relatively small like that (in comparison to the giant pink ones that I remember from relatives' farms) always?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Tendai posted:

Those are ridiculous pigs and even the adults are ridiculous :3: Do they stay relatively small like that (in comparison to the giant pink ones that I remember from relatives' farms) always?

Yup! The oldest of mine are just yearlings (I got some cheap potbellies to practice with when I was getting into pigs, and now that I Know How To Pig I am switching to registered kunes, so I've only just finished putting my starter herd together) and so mine aren't at their full size but they top out at 200-400 lbs, as opposed to 800+ lbs for full size pigs. Average size is prob between 200-300lbs at full maturity. I spent a lot of time settling on a breed to get into and almost went with full size pigs, but kunes are so ridiculously docile and easy to handle and easy on fences I ended up just liking them a ton. They're puppy dog friendly, don't gently caress with my fences, don't root up my pasture (much), actually graze and will fatten on grass, and produce really nice red, well marbled meat with little input feed-wise. The only drawback is that they grow slowly (they reach slaughter weight at about a year, as opposed to 5ish months for full size pigs) but it's a worthwhile trade off to me given their meat quality and how easy they are to manage. They're really being promoted as excellent charcuterie pigs right now due to the quality of their fat, and are considered a smaller equivalent to Mangalitsas in the type of meat and marbling they produce. They're really fun little pigs with great little personalities and them being cute as poo poo doesn't hurt either.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't eat pork but now I want kunekunes to just keep around and be spotty :3: Especially now that you've told me how friendly they are. My cat hates cats, maybe she'd be fine with an outside pig :v:

(I am not seriously considering this please do not jump on me anyone)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I like them lots! Thank you for all the detailed info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I had no idea pigs were fluffy. :stare:

• Locked thread