Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 14, 1950)

Barnaby (May 21, 1942)

Nancy (January 28, 1943)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

It's been most of a year since I was caught up with the comic-strip thread, and I'd sort of hoped in that intervening period that someone would tell the "Rex Morgan M.D." guys about how to draw a little girl who isn't obviously possessed by devils.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

In my head Patrick Warburton as David Puddy does his voice.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

They identified him by his dental records.

His eye twitches, involuntarily.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

catlord posted:

I've been thinking about Mike Du Jour and Bizarro doing puns. They make me long for Pastis' tortured long form puns.

I thought puns were pretty much foolproof because even a bad pun is funny in its own dumb way, but Lester's proven me wrong.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Metro in Sweden has been running some comic with almost kindergarten art and I hadn't read one for months until today and they were bragging about adding a whole lot more comics of what they claimed was high quality art but it still looked like something a child would throw together. Even worse than Intelligent Life but at least it wasn't something looking like a rough sketch of a comic. I just can't stand it.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

:love:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Captain_Maclaine posted:

:golfclap: One of the great understatements in comic history.

I actually hope that Crankshaft ends here with this final fiasco in his life.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 7, 2016

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (January 28, 1943)

In the purest beauty that was mid-century America, you could totally order a monkey by mail out of a comic book, cause why the gently caress not?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

All comics are bad, and this thread is nothing more than a treatment plant for Raw Sewage Comix.

Pooch Café

gently caress that literal poo poo.

Ballard Street

Oh nice job, colourist. You made it look like a lovely cardboard box when it's actually lovingly handcrafted out of dowels and sound-dampening fabric.

Lost Side of Suburbia

"Okay, show of hands, who thought she was dead already? Just me? Really, nobody else thought that the kid's sister was definitely dead this whole time? Well okay then, guess there's egg on my face. ...Really though, everybody thought she was alive? Everybody? Margo??"

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

"Lesbian."

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

While I come bearing puns, they are sadly not Pastis at the top of his game. Hopefully we'll get a good one on Sunday.

Mark Trail grins in the face of death

Pearls Before Swine

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RandomFerret posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

"Okay, show of hands, who thought she was dead already? Just me? Really, nobody else thought that the kid's sister was definitely dead this whole time? Well okay then, guess there's egg on my face. ...Really though, everybody thought she was alive? Everybody? Margo??"

I still think she's dead.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 01/18/15

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

It could be worse. Her kids might end up with chicken feet for hands.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Alterian posted:

In my head Patrick Warburton as David Puddy does his voice.
Same. For me he also is the voice of Rip Haywire and the cop from Pros and Cons. Probably others too. I think I just love Patrick Warburton.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail grins in the face of death

"It's really more of a 'hollow.'"

F Minus

Space: The Boring Frontier

Mary Worth

Probably wrong prediction: Olive's father will get him a job in the cafeteria of his hospital.

Rex Morgan MD

"Not Michael either. But Fredo--I don't give a gently caress what you do with him."

Secret Agent X-9

"NEXT...WHAT"

Apartment 3-G

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

drat that's a fine reasonable mediocre Delta IV Heavy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Walker posted:

"NEXT...WHAT"

Apartment 3-G

This guy is gonna be some sex murderer isn't he? A beautiful lady in my apartment. Makes. Me. So. Angry. .:argh:

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Broom Hilda is competing for this year’s BrookeMaw award.

Gasoline Alley -
“Honey, our boy’s playing with a wild bear! He’ll be killed!”
“Such an innocent, stupid child. No worries though. His replacement will be here in a few months!”
*Smooches*

Heavenly Nostrils

Big Nate

Working Daze

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Same. For me he also is the voice of Rip Haywire and the cop from Pros and Cons. Probably others too. I think I just love Patrick Warburton.In the

In the case of Rip's voice, I understand there's a serious schism between the Warburtonians and the Campbellians.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

H. Jon Benjamin for Rip or nothing!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Selachian posted:

In the case of Rip's voice, I understand there's a serious schism between the Warburtonians and the Campbellians.

There's a slight schism however due to the presence of the Benjaminians.

efb

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Probably wrong prediction: Olive's father will get him a job in the cafeteria of his hospital.

Sigh. I suppose that that is one of Olive's Mystic Visions, and the guy will not only get that job tomorrow, but he will KNOW in his heart that it was Olive's power that did it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hoogy, and Boog.

That's what you're going with, huh.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

I never thought of it that way before, but this is the most right anyone has ever been. In relation to comic strip character voices.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I unabashedly love how miserable that guy looks, just standing there waiting to pass out bowls of nondescript glop with his little hat on. "I had a good job, but the company laid me off," he's thinking. "Now I get minimum wage for standing over a steam table. Thanks, God. You dick."

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
A big, big big Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big) day. It's hard at times to see the breaks between scans, so i've added a ------ between them.
And it worked! The End.

------

------

------

------

------

------

------

------

------

------

------

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

Patrick Warburton

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

pretty hosed up that they'd run a kidnapping and ransom storyline

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

The man takes shelter at a soup kitchen, doling out crappy canned food to other homeless people in exchange for a place to sleep. Months creep by. His job applications are ignored when they realize his address is a vacant lot near the kitchen. He can't afford therapy or medicine, so his mental and physical health quickly spiral. In his grief he turns to drugs, and soon what little savings he has goes to the next high. He's kicked out of the shelter when they discover him stealing and he spends the rest of his days on the streets, in dark alleyways, doing unspeakable things just to get by, until one day a garbage man finds his body next to a dumpster.

But ok, whatever Olive, that scene you imagined where the dude happens to be standing near some food means everything's gonna be a-ok.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Gasoline alley is just...so lovely. The only reason Nancy might be worse is because it was good and Gilchrist made it bad but I'm pretty sure GA has always just been irredeemably awful.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanderer posted:

It's been most of a year since I was caught up with the comic-strip thread, and I'd sort of hoped in that intervening period that someone would tell the "Rex Morgan M.D." guys about how to draw a little girl who isn't obviously possessed by devils.
IIRC she's based on the artist's niece or something.

LordPants posted:

This guy is gonna be some sex murderer isn't he? A beautiful lady in my apartment. Makes. Me. So. Angry. .:argh:
He's angry because she's a drunk who keeps hassling him and showing up at his house and won't accept that he wants nothing to do with her.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Today I will post to prove that I have more to say than that Working Daze is trash that should burn and leave the newspaper comics thread as it is just a lovely webcomic as far as I can tell. Though I also say that.

In the positive news I will say Snorkmaiden being catty with Ms. Fillyjonks is hilarious, Moominpappa owns, Moomin is a treasure, and basically everything published before 1970 is great, particular callouts today for King Aroo and Pogo.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

dismas posted:

Gasoline alley is just...so lovely. The only reason Nancy might be worse is because it was good and Gilchrist made it bad but I'm pretty sure GA has always just been irredeemably awful.

GA was good when Frank King was still doing it. Especially on Sundays.

Also, thanks SuperKlaus. It's been a long time since the last Pogo shoutout. (January 8-9, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 4-6, 1954)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 8, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set misses the point.

Working Daze thinks this is still a thing.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix pitches an Adult Swim series.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

FactsAreUseless posted:

Patrick Warburton

Patrick Warburton is Detective DeFoe, Jon Benjamin is Rip Haywire, George Lowe is The Phantom and Keith David is Flimm.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

R Ubbish fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 8, 2016

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

It could be worse. Her kids might end up with chicken feet for hands.

But they'll never know the joy of having gums or an actual rear end.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

I never realized how good classic Peanuts is. Also loving Pros and Cons, glad it's back.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Workin' some rough chuckles tonight, Ubb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

quote:

H. Jon Benjamin for Rip Marigold or nothing!

• Locked thread