Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Grandmother of Five posted:

it is hard to believe that some people aren't willing to give their government a mandate to kill and torture its own citizens, simply because there is not a single good reason to do so as far as crime deterrence goes.

Consider also that the Department of Justice (or the rest of the government) may not necessarily always have competent adults in charge. Like now, for example. Certain options simply should not be available to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Surely there's some kind of middle ground between summary executions and giving mass murderers PS3s.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Surely there's some kind of middle ground between summary executions and giving mass murderers PS3s.

he gets a ps3 but the state buys everyone else ps4s. there, now it's not torture and yet a fate worse than death.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If it was up to me I'd let Breifart into genpop.

Even if everyone behaves he'd still have to sit in a corner while everyone else talks poo poo about him.
There's no Arian Brotherhood in Norwegian prisons, just a bunch of guys who hate him.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Lodin posted:

If it was up to me I'd let Breifart into genpop.

Even if everyone behaves he'd still have to sit in a corner while everyone else talks poo poo about him.
There's no Arian Brotherhood in Norwegian prisons, just a bunch of guys who hate him.

Wasn't there just an article in some newspaper where a spokesman for the other prisoners basically said "we're sick of this guy already, nobody's going to want to talk to him, nobody's going to think it's worth killing him either".

It is my impression that prisoners committing serious violence against each other is not a very common thing in Norwegian prisons anyway, although I am sure it happens from time to time.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
norway shouldnt execute prisoners yall seem like a very gentle and socially responsible society and thats a wonderful thing :3:

we have to do it here in texas tho because we got like 5 norways worth of people and some are evil and others are just double dogdick crazy and the guy who was executed a few weeks ago for killing dismembering and drinking the blood of a teenage boy prolly had a foot in both camps

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Groke posted:

Wasn't there just an article in some newspaper where a spokesman for the other prisoners basically said "we're sick of this guy already, nobody's going to want to talk to him, nobody's going to think it's worth killing him either".

It is my impression that prisoners committing serious violence against each other is not a very common thing in Norwegian prisons anyway, although I am sure it happens from time to time.
Normally inmates would just ignore a guy who's in for bullshit.

There was recently a rather famous case of an utter poo poo who raped 13 women and his girlfriend multiple times.
That guy got let into genpop and has been shitkicked four times. Two of them sent him to the ER.
That guy is going to solitary.

E: Here he is. How the gently caress did that little weasel manage to rape 13 women?

Lodin fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 22, 2016

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dr Cheeto posted:

Give prisoners a cheap PC, a Twitch account, and Rocket League IMO.

same but league of legends

would improve player attitude and competency immensely

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

whoflungpoop posted:

norway shouldnt execute prisoners yall seem like a very gentle and socially responsible society and thats a wonderful thing :3:

we have to do it here in texas tho because we got like 5 norways worth of people and some are evil and others are just double dogdick crazy and the guy who was executed a few weeks ago for killing dismembering and drinking the blood of a teenage boy prolly had a foot in both camps

Don't kid yourself, Norway and Texas has the exact same type of population (human beings), whatever's wrong with society, blame it on yourselves.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Maybe not having the government killing its own people is a good start. All other civilized nations seems to have thought so.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Lodin posted:

Normally inmates would just ignore a guy who's in for bullshit.

There was recently a rather famous case of an utter poo poo who raped 13 women and his girlfriend multiple times.
That guy got let into genpop and has been shitkicked four times. Two of them sent him to the ER.
That guy is going to solitary.

E: Here he is. How the gently caress did that little weasel manage to rape 13 women?

By being an unrepentant psychopath. I feel bad for the inmates who no doubt got prosecuted of that violence (zero tolerance policy). In the end they just hurt themselves and should have just left him alone.

Also yeah, I guess there's a gbs thread on this.

People have got to understand that a violation of ECHR (European Convention on Human Rights) can be a lot of things, including a lot of technical violations. The ECHR is as much a material safeguard as it is a procedural one, and the norwegian state has been found guilty of violation of article 3 mostly on the grounds that the treatment of Breivik failed to satisfy requirements of necessity and in pursuit of a legitimate aim.

Which is to say, the government failed to prove that strip searches, visitations isolated behind glass, nightly checkups and such were evaluated continually and that it was decided by a competent authority that due to *reasons* such safeguards had to continue. In and of itself, the treatment of Breivik was not in violation, but the reasons for the treatment were unsubstantiatied by witness testimony or documentation, leaving the court little choice but to effectively assume a violation to assure that the prison be kept in its toes in regards to the necessity of these security measures.

I'll wait to see if the Attourney General appeals this decision (this was a lower court decision and carries no precedential value of significance), but in my opinion it should be, and the government should bring a stronger case if they can based on this specific ruling.

As for the second part of the suit, it's important to note that the court did not rule for a violation of article 8, in regards of the control and censorship of his private correspondence. Which means, he doesn't get to coordinate with nazi groups, publish his crap ideology or incite people to violence etc. In effect, he's largely forgotten and ignored.

This came as a bit of a surprise to me, as I could definitely see the case for a violation of article 8, cf. article 13 or a right to an effective remedy. The European Court of Human Rights has ruled a number of times that a lack of an effective remedy under article 8 might well be a violation of both article 13 and 8, due to the nature of the interest protected. Specifically, inmates in prison have a right to an effective remedy against censorship of their correspondence: In Breivik's case that would be the justice department... which he bombed. This means there is a danger of their lack of impartiality, which takes away at least in part Breiviks right to a remedy.

Like I said, technical violations are still violations. But I guess we won't see any side of that, as Breivik's attourney has announced that they will not appeal the verdict under article 8.

Also serves Breivik right having to be a console peasant.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 22, 2016

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In conclusion IDGAF.
Feed the guy to genpop. He'll be a martyr for his fans!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Lodin posted:

Well that's a fist-magnet face if I've ever seen one.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
He'll likely be paroled in the future. That's how crazy this poo poo is

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Lodin posted:

In conclusion IDGAF.
Feed the guy to genpop. He'll be a martyr for his fans!

So what did you get convicted for? Two counts of § 229? That's a pretty significant fight there. If at least somewhat severe (broken jaw, nose) that's about 120 days minimum.

whip posted:

He'll likely be paroled in the future. That's how crazy this poo poo is

Nah. Would you like to be the judge that released Breivik? Also, even twenty years from now it would be impossible to hide him: He would likely be killed. A lot of hunters in Norway, it's easy to get your hands on a high-powered rifle with a scope.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
so norwegians dont have the balls to kill this guy, but they'd for sure take down the judge who may theoretically let him out one day? uhh

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Nobody said anything about killin no judge he'd just be given the coldest shoulder at all the urine shark eating festivals that have constantly which is as rough as mob justice gets in boreway

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
my bad he meant the child murderer would be killed, which is still pretty lol considering right now he's probably taking a peaceful dump on his private toilet while loading up call of duty

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

It's not that I disagree with your premise that in certain niche cases there's not really a whole lot of a reason not to just execute them and be done with it, it's just that humans are humans and you need to make that kind of response completely unacceptable and extreme otherwise you're going to shift how the public views the justice system in general.

unfortunately :agreed:

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Boner Zone posted:

which is still pretty lol considering right now he's probably taking a peaceful dump on his private toilet while loading up call of duty

who the gently caress cares, stop worrying about what some murderer is doing and just live your lovely life

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if hes norwegian he's payin for that murderers way of life tho

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

i paid 5 cents towards buying ps3s for prisoners, and one of those 10,000 ps3s went to a murderer? i'm VERY bothered by this

sketch_nimrod
Apr 1, 2010

Lodin posted:

very carefuly =p

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Justice system is never really about justice in any country. Lol if you actully expect that.
If it was up to me i would spring him from jail, record a bunch of videos of him giving speeches and taunting his victims. Then i would kill him and burn his body. I then digitally alter the videos so Breivik appears to slowly be getting older and start releasing them on the web. He gets what he actually deserves while a bunch parents bitterly gnashes their teeth because they think the man who killed ther children is living a life luxury and fun.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

it's pretty lol that people talk about brevik becoming a martyr if he's executed when he is a far more effective propaganda tool for every moment he remains alive and especially every time he's allowed to pull the legal bullshit he's pulling and especially every time this bullshit reaches the media.

it's just like trump. most people see every media stunt he pulls as pathetic but his message gets perpetuated because it turns out that any attention is good for motivating your base, no matter what. it's kind of hard to pull poo poo like this when you're dead. either enforce a total and complete lifetime blackout on stories about his post-massacre life or admit that maybe you hosed this up royal

bottybot
Feb 28, 2013

papa_november posted:

it's just like trump. most people see every media stunt he pulls as pathetic but his message gets perpetuated because it turns out that any attention is good for motivating your base, no matter what. it's kind of hard to pull poo poo like this when you're dead. either enforce a total and complete lifetime blackout on stories about his post-massacre life or admit that maybe you hosed this up royal

Trump didn't kill 77 people, you have no idea how a legal system is meant to work if you start chucking exceptions in there. Good luck with your lovely, messed-up country, we're doing just fine and dealing with Breivik just fine, no gently caress ups here apart from you, pilgrim

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

yeah, it's not like anti-migrant parties aren't growing in strength exponentially every god drat day or anything

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

papa_november posted:

it's pretty lol that people talk about brevik becoming a martyr if he's executed when he is a far more effective propaganda tool for every moment he remains alive and especially every time he's allowed to pull the legal bullshit he's pulling and especially every time this bullshit reaches the media.

I mean, not to go all snooty and statistical, but there's some real merit to our system of justice.

Or so sayeth the numbers: http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12?r=US&IR=T

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think if they had some muslims cut his penis off on live tv and shove it in his mouth and then they ululate that wouldn't cause a problem.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Nice piece of fish posted:

I mean, not to go all snooty and statistical, but there's some real merit to our system of justice.

Or so sayeth the numbers: http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12?r=US&IR=T

I think the main issue is people like papa can't understand that "just in this narrow instance' isn't a valid premise to base an argument on. Society simply does not function in way that permits one off rule changes like that. In order to reap all the benefits of your justice system when it comes to more normal crime, the range of what's politically and morally acceptable in the culture needs to be far away from killing a dude you don't need to kill simply because he 'deserves' it. Your options are treat prisoners humanely and that includes monsters like this or treat prisoners inhumanely and that includes much more petty crime, it's simply wishful thinking to believe it's possible to have a justice system that's extreme in edge cases and appropriately lenient in more normal ones, that's never going to happen and you only need to look at prisons and crime stats around the world to verify that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if you kill over 3 people you get the axe and ur organs be donated to those in need

so sayeth we all. It is known

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Zzulu posted:

if you kill over 3 people you get the axe and ur organs be donated to those in need

so sayeth we all. It is known

No dice... I know how this ends: the killer, now a ghost, will still force me to do horrible poo poo by shutting down the kidney they transplanted into me if I don't cooperate.

edit: god help us all if I got the hand transplant.

• Locked thread