Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

pentyne posted:

People who grow up and suffer from real/serious past traumas are probably less then 1% of the people freaking out online about safe spaces and demanding the removal of things they find offensive or triggering. Look at what happened at Yale when that one professor sent out an email stating "banning people from wearing racist costumes does nothing, if you see someone doing it make them aware of how it makes you feel blah blah blah" basically a little tone deaf but wholly emphasizing that people need to be engaging with things they disagree with don't understand rather then have institutions simply shield them from them entirely. Cue this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsgc0k594Js
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-new-intolerance-of-student-activism-at-yale/414810/

This is one of the greatest institutions of learning in the world, and hear is someone who's dedicate his life to education and students being screamed at for trying to discuss the matter with people in a calm way. The professor who sent the email end up resigning.

I had never heard of this and just finished this article.

:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

for really thorough readings i like the combo because i can write down more extensive stuff on my laptop, like whatever interpretation or relationship or whatever a passage makes me think about, and i can use the notebook for super quick reference to concepts/key ideas for discussions. that's really for excellent indepth stuff, or something i have to write about, or something thesis related, though, i've certainly been guilty of the two-hour 200 page book "grad student" hyperread

book reviews have probably been one of the most useful exercises for me also, since they demand brevity and a full evaluation of the book. i typically do better on 20-40 pg papers because it's easier for me to bloviate a little bit, cramming content into the tight space you're afforded in a review is a real skill-builder. the only B i've gotten in grad school was on a review of a Patton biography because i didn't properly address the mundane biographical elements and just jumped into criticism, which is a pretty big blunder that i won't make again and i'm glad to have learned about practically

i wish there was more money in history :(

history grad represent!

I always wondered who was writing all those boring book reviews on JStor in undergrad. then I realized it was me, I had to write them :negative:

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any examples of people unironically believing in this? I saw the Yale video, but that seemed more of an anger management and self control issue then a special snowflake. I know tumblr is suppose to be a big one, but that site just seems to be people posting pictures and gifs of their pets and favorite tv shows, not really a forum for discussion(at least that I could find). This SJW stereotype stuff just seems to be a myth to me.

edit: cool, I didn't know that had a word filter too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Frog Act posted:

i had a student last semester mix up the Ayatollah, Richard Nixon, and Fidel Castro into one aggregate dictator who somehow ruled from Mexico

This is the villain of my alt-history novel where Aztecs beat the conquistadors.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ausmund posted:

Is there any examples of people unironically believing in this? I saw the Yale video, but that seemed more of an anger management and self control issue then a special snowflake. I know tumblr is suppose to be a big one, but that site just seems to be people posting pictures and gifs of their pets and favorite tv shows, not really a forum for discussion(at least that I could find). This SJW stereotype stuff just seems to be a myth to me.

You've never been on a college campus or talked to a liberal arts major in the past 8 years then.

I am quite happy with the resolve of the administrators at the University of Chicago. Academic inquiry and debate is returning to where it belongs. Where it can innovate.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly I would be OK if the letter said "If you want a safe space, get hosed. If you want trigger warnings, here's your last one: 3.. 2.. 1.. go gently caress yourself. Good luck in the coming school year."

Both of these things need to loving die. It's like we've put up with so many years of right-motivated censors, the last thing we need is left-motivated ones, because censorship in general sucks. If people can't confront and overcome their differences, nothing is ever going to truly improve. It's a self-defeating bunch of bullshit to make anyone who disagrees with them the villain.

Absolutely

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

history grad represent!

I always wondered who was writing all those boring book reviews on JStor in undergrad. then I realized it was me, I had to write them :negative:

self confessed lolberal artsfag, shameful

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Helical Nightmares posted:

You've never been on a college campus or talked to a liberal arts major in the past 8 years then.

I am quite happy with the resolve of the administrators at the University of Chicago. Academic inquiry and debate is returning to where it belongs. Where it can innovate.
But where online? It's suppose to be such a huge problem but I don't see it anywhere like the alt-right bullshit which has taken over nearly any online comment section.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Every time I find myself agreeing 100% with something a goon says, I make sure it's not, like, WickedHate or Blazing Ownager or somebody. If so, I ask myself, "do you really want to agree with Blazing Ownager"? But here, I really don't have any choice, I agree 100% with Blazing Ownager and I'm not afraid to admit it. That was a really genuinely good post.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ausmund posted:

edit: cool, I didn't know that had a word filter too.
I don't know if it counts as "the real world" but if you stand outside a gender studies class in a modern university (don't go inside!) you can see many examples.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
if we made liberal arts majors illegal none of this would be a problem

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I don't know if it counts as "the real world" but if you stand outside a gender studies class in a modern university (don't go inside!) you can see many examples.

But he should go inside. Anyone who agrees or disagrees should go inside.

To experience a philosophy different then their own and/or to develop a more nuanced and specific understanding of the views they choose and why they decide to espouse them.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Horniest Manticore posted:

if we made liberal arts majors illegal none of this would be a problem

Science is a liberal art. :jerkbag:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

self confessed lolberal artsfag, shameful

going to a modern university transformed me from a communist into a believer in liberalism and capitalism. I think they hosed up

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i remain a commie

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

sieg heil!!!!!!

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Science is a liberal art. :jerkbag:

there is only one true path, my son, and it is the path of stem. come back to the fold

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

there is only one true path, my son, and it is the path of stem. come back to the fold

take a look, in a book

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The stem cause could really be brought further along if 90% of its adherents weren't unfuckable gnomes.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

The stem cause could really be brought further along if 90% of its adherents weren't unfuckable gnomes.

Get out of the Engineering campus and walk to the Biology one.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Sheep-Goats posted:

dawkins extends his noble hand, my child, but not forever. come home.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Botany is the most liberal art

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Helical Nightmares posted:

Get out of the Engineering campus and walk to the Biology one.

I can confirm this

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Frog Act posted:

i wish there was more money in history :(

For the most part, I only ever hear bad things about the prospects from the early modernists I know. Kinda sucks and that's a major reason why I left the field - albeit for one where I could actually use most of my historical training, especially the research experience. The other was that I finally came to accept that the field isn't so interested in what I have to say about my pet topics in early modern English history at this point in time.

As for book reviews, I wish undergrads did them more as they demand both concise writing and the ability to really think about what an author is saying. Many incoming students seem to need help in this department. I think doing them in high school may even be a good for a similar reason. The critical thinking tools they provide are not just useful for historians, but also applicable elsewhere in the world. Doing them in HS may also help freshmen avoid finding themselves unsure at how we can understand a source to be both biased while still be useful. (Which was another thing I ran across in a short time as a TA. Some students tended to even have this trouble with modern sources like news sites.)

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah, that Yale situation was pretty rough and the response from many incoming or current students was similarly disappointing. Kind of why discussions about this stuff are so taxing now. So many people just don't seem to be thinking things through, or clearly just want everything to be their way. In some cases, people interpret disagreement or dissent as a sign that you're actually attacking them as an individual adding another layer to the issue. Doesn't even have to be about politics at this point.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
UofC rocks. I was gonna go there cause it's fantastic but I got a bigger scholarship at a crappier school. Bad idea :smith:

However it is next do a park where there's a ton of drug deals and rapes :/

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

there is a designated safe space is inside my butthole

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
My butthole has taught me that safety is a delusion.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

MeatwadIsGod posted:

it's tempered a little by the fact that life at expensive prestige colleges is pretty well known to take polite racism to dizzying extremes

it doesn't make the reaction ok, but when you picture life where most people see themselves as "normal" and you as some sort of outlier and you just get politely excluded and talked down to all the time in ways that you can't really directly confront without making things worse for yourself.... I'll be honest, after the paragraph where she sounds like she's saying "isn't halloween a time to be obnoxious" or whatever, I'd probably have stopped listening and joined the mob too.

in fact, now that i think about it that way, the ability of blogging and twitter to strip a quote of context, or just completely put words in someone's mouth through paraphrasing, is probably a big part of why these kinds of mobs gain momentum.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm glad university administration is finally going "ENOUGH! You assholes pay enough every year that your little minds can deal with the fact the world is hosed-up. We're preparing you for that."

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

School rules in my administration: Be excellent and cool to each other or you are EXPELLED!!!!!!

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fire Barrel posted:

In some cases, people interpret disagreement or dissent as a sign that you're actually attacking them as an individual adding another layer to the issue. Doesn't even have to be about politics at this point.

humans have literally always done this. It's dumb and bad, but it's not a new phenomenon by any stretch

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So I skipped 5 pages while outside. Is Mordin keeping this thread alive? My guess

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fire Barrel posted:

For the most part, I only ever hear bad things about the prospects from the early modernists I know. Kinda sucks and that's a major reason why I left the field - albeit for one where I could actually use most of my historical training, especially the research experience. The other was that I finally came to accept that the field isn't so interested in what I have to say about my pet topics in early modern English history at this point in time.

As for book reviews, I wish undergrads did them more as they demand both concise writing and the ability to really think about what an author is saying. Many incoming students seem to need help in this department. I think doing them in high school may even be a good for a similar reason. The critical thinking tools they provide are not just useful for historians, but also applicable elsewhere in the world. Doing them in HS may also help freshmen avoid finding themselves unsure at how we can understand a source to be both biased while still be useful. (Which was another thing I ran across in a short time as a TA. Some students tended to even have this trouble with modern sources like news sites.)

Yeah, that Yale situation was pretty rough and the response from many incoming or current students was similarly disappointing. Kind of why discussions about this stuff are so taxing now. So many people just don't seem to be thinking things through, or clearly just want everything to be their way. In some cases, people interpret disagreement or dissent as a sign that you're actually attacking them as an individual adding another layer to the issue. Doesn't even have to be about politics at this point.

Holy poo poo

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Fact: Triggered is now a real life slang world used by real life college students as a substitute for 'casually upset'

Source: Overheard a group of real life college students

Context: "I was triggered by the professor giving us homework the first day of class."

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

OMGVBFLOL posted:

in fact, now that i think about it that way, the ability of blogging and twitter to strip a quote of context, or just completely put words in someone's mouth through paraphrasing, is probably a big part of why these kinds of mobs gain momentum.

this also ain't at all new

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bourgie swine think safe spaces will save them

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

proof of concept posted:

this also ain't at all new

now that you mention it, wasn't "sound-byte culture" a thing people said was wrong with gen-xers

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Triggered by this thread (masturbates furiously to orgasm).

Seriously, great news, and I hope all of PC academia follows suit.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

mcustic posted:

If they're looking for a Safe space, they should go to the South side

They probably are on the South side, though, most of UofC is in Hyde Park...

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

OMGVBFLOL posted:

now that you mention it, wasn't "sound-byte culture" a thing people said was wrong with gen-xers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism and that's just since mass print became a thing it's not like gossip and rumors give a poo poo about being super accurate about context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

jon joe posted:

Fact: Triggered is now a real life slang world used by real life college students as a substitute for 'casually upset'

Source: Overheard a group of real life college students

Context: "I was triggered by the professor giving us homework the first day of class."

Long-term this is a good thing because it waters down the phrase to the point where no one can tell who is being casual and who is being serious, meanwhile psych people can act like professionals and adopt some new term for legit PTSD sufferers.

• Locked thread