Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I love the pathetic fools who see this as a :masterstroke: almost as much as watching the actual liberal tears of the mellenials in the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Fog Tripper posted:

I love the pathetic fools who see this as a :masterstroke: almost as much as watching the actual liberal tears of the mellenials in the video.

Not me, I don't love them at all.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OMGVBFLOL posted:

like there's hardly even any opinions there, that's modtly just a list of objectively bad poo poo we as a group demonstrably do, paired with requests to do it less often

like motherfucker if that hurt your feelings you might actually be a literal baby lol

Sorry you are a bad person who needs to be reminded on a daily basis not to do bad things.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

a retard posted:

imo mtv is overcompensating for creating a lot of the "toxic masculinity" out there (beavis and butthead, headbangers ball, jackass)
toxic masculinity isn't laughing because a guy snorted wasabi. that poo poo's hilarious and even if it wasn't it's not something anybody would be seriously interested in reducing.
toxic masculinity is more like just, any insecure bullshit about how you're not a "real" man if you're not suppressing your emotional vulnerability and eager to resort to violence, even when you have work in the morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSwikFMyx7M
Dave Grohl: masculine.
douchebag he's kicking out: toxic.

I get the sense people view that term as kind of an attack on masculinity, and that's... a weird way to frame it? because, that guy in the link, that was picking a fight at a concert? nobody loving likes that guy.
and that's all that toxic masculinity is, is a way to say gently caress that guy. a term for something we didn't have a term for. it's not meant to rule you, it's just a tool to draw a line around pointless destructive bullshit and say that's NOT what being a man is. that's some fuckface causing trouble because he thinks it makes him a man, and it doesn't- that's not what I am, that's not what my father and brothers are, and that's not what I want my sons to be.

watch beavis and butthead. work out. fish, and hunt. build poo poo. grow and maintain your facial hair. do your own household maintenance. be assertive. fulfill your civic responsibilities. make your paper. wash your hands with a nasty assed tub of borax. make a beer can pyramid. protect your loved ones. being masculine isn't the issue. the vast majority of masculine-coded behavior isn't toxic masculinity, because it isn't toxic. people will argue about that, because the particulars of sociological terminology are meant to be argued about and shift and change and fall in and out of use, because they're seeking long term academic consensus which only happens by arguing about it- but none of that really matters. the bottom line is just a tool that you can use, or, by all means, discard, however you see fit

... manspreading is some arbitrary bullshit though
like I get it sucks to sit next to somebody with no sense of personal space, and women are generally pressured to exhibit body language that emphasizes diminuitivity as part of a wider range of asymmetrical social expectations across gender lines and all that but this is just not a real battle
1) if it's an empty seat next to him, and nobody else is there to want to sit there, I can't imagine why that would be a problem. yet it's treated like it's the same as when they're practically leaning on you. why? t's not rude. it's not anything. they could be fully intending to move when somebody needs the space. why are you secretly photographing this?
2) why are you secretly photographing this? stop secretly photographing strangers on the train. I don't care if it's for your blog, I don't care that you blurred the faces, stop secretly photographing strangers. I would much rather be sitting in a train where somebody is taking up two seats while there is nobody there to sit in the other seat, than to be secretly photographed by a stranger. why would it be okay for you to do this?
but most of all
3) this is not a gendered phenomenon, just because somebody gendered it. when it came into social media prominence a few years ago, there was a response blog of women 'man'spreading on public transportation, because this is not a gendered phenomenon. thus even more people got to be secretly photographed by strangers.
doesn't the practice of tailoring a phenomenon to fit a predetermined narrative and dismissing contradictory evidence as exceptional or propagandistic seem familiar? in like a lovely way? almost as if it's the primary rhetorical method of most prejudices or something? we might as well be gendering liquor store robberies for all the good it does actually addressing the causes of the problem and moving toward fixing it.

it's like when we found out quinoa was destroying the food security of the equatorial south american countries it's grown in, and the people who already hated seeing a weird Q-word next to the rice-a-roni started going "see, these loving hipsters, with their fanny packs and ironic mustaches, they started eating this fad foodstuff because they want to pretend they know better than everybody else, but then the other foot drops! now everybody has to think I'm cool!"
and the hipsters went "why should I be ashamed to have moved to a healthier alternative to grain? I'm pumping money into their economy, for all you know this will improve their standard of living. at least I'm not some complacent, mcdonalds chugging-"
everybody forgetting that this was not an issue of first world dietary choices as reflective of lifestyle values.
nobody expects you to know everything about everything, but now we know this, and, if the problems seem genuine to you, and are worth more than you eating quinoa, then don't buy the loving quinoa! that was the only lesson, and nobody learned it. the people who were buying quinoa and the people snidely deriding the people buying quinoa both still think they won that battle. nobody wanted to talk about it as a real issue that needed to be addressed, it just became another reductive and utterly ineffectual round to fire in everybody's neverending war with their ideological opposites.

this loving seat thing came up like four goddamned years ago and people are still arguing the same stupid bullshit sniping passive-aggressive arguments that are entirely about how dumb and wrong the people they always don't agree with are, over a problem that everybody already hated. if we actually gave a poo poo I bet we could get a lot of metro companies to put in movable seat dividers, or at least signs reminding people to be mindful of other passengers. instead of nothing, which is what happened and what will always happen if we can't raise the loving discourse
nothing but stupid droning bullshit arguments and snide comments and dismissive jokes that don't do anything but reaffirm your own internal sense of superiority for not being whatever it is you already aren't, and those of us who can't milk a cowardly and pathetic dopamine rush out of that have to just sit here like a quadrapolegic mute parent watching their children fight their way into the inside of an active industrial cardboard bailer. smash smash

AutumnDDP posted:

Great post, but you don't have to conform to the GBS standard of not capitalizing sentences when saying something cool and intelligent.

Unless that's just the way you roll, in which case keep going your own way man
oh thank you 😘 sorry this one isn't as good

that is indeed how I roll- if you check my rap sheet you'll see I was probated for no caps posting when it was probatable and, like these posts, they actually did contain capital letters because I habitually capitalize I's, which I do because I'm the most important person in the world and I can do whatever I loving, loving, loving want

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

who is being a crybsby

:discourse:

Mega iceburn, how dare I make observations about a video posted to internet comedy forum something awful dot com. I guess we should all go to D&D and wait for the heat death of the universe

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

you're not wrong but I want to jump off this to say that terms like toxic masculinity shouldn't be in public discourse because social issues should be talked about in a language that everybody can understand

terms that need to be explained with several sentences before use don't communicate ideas effectively, they just become blank slates that people project their own meanings onto and then they turn into munitions
in the battle between two groups that both feel superior to the other that you talked about

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I've been driving my car unregistered and uninspected since august of 2015, being a white middle class male rules, stop trying to make me feel bad MTV

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

brakeless posted:

you're not wrong but I want to jump off this to say that terms like toxic masculinity shouldn't be in public discourse because social issues should be talked about in a language that everybody can understand

terms that need to be explained with several sentences before use don't communicate ideas effectively, they just become blank slates that people project their own meanings onto and then they turn into munitions
in the battle between two groups that both feel superior to the other that you talked about

I accept this

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Photex posted:

I've been driving my car unregistered and uninspected since august of 2015, being a white middle class male rules, stop trying to make me feel bad MTV

Just make yourself an inspection sticker. Do you live in NYS by chance? Eventually they'll catch up with you because they now link registration to the inspection regimen but you're doing pretty good at this point. Gone are the days when you can hork a roll of inspection stickers and sell them to your friends for $50 each

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

who is being a crybsby

:discourse:

nice meltdown

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

brakeless posted:

agree wholeheartedly, although at the very least "toxic masculinity" isn't an existing phrase. so many internet arguments about whether or not something is or even can be racist when one person thinks it means "racial prejudice" and the other has moved past such simple interpretations and realizes the TRUE definition refers exclusively to systematic big picture stuff and they just argue past each other for pages

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

garfield hentai posted:

agree wholeheartedly, although at the very least "toxic masculinity" isn't an existing phrase. so many internet arguments about whether or not something is or even can be racist when one person thinks it means "racial prejudice" and the other has moved past such simple interpretations and realizes the TRUE definition refers exclusively to systematic big picture stuff and they just argue past each other for pages

I really dislike this "let's redefine racism to mean a social construct rather than an actual belief system". it means you can scream RACISM! at people all day(which I'm sure feels good in in a rightous way), but you end up never convincing the person you criticize because they operate under a different definition of the word. it's not a biting criticism, it just makes you look stupid and incapable of empathy

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

does propping my leg up on my knee count as manspreading? I need an expert

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
yeah exactly, if you're actually trying to have a discussion or make a point then saying "american society is structured in such a way that a white person of a given economic/social/whatever status will as a rule have it easier than a minority in the same position" is a pretty reasonable statement. if someone disagrees then there's actual tangible points to go back and forth on. the downside is that you can't smugly start said discussion from a position of "heh, well i know this secret definition for educated people who actually READ, let me educate you" and you might have to talk about something on equal footing without resorting to intentionally obfuscating your meaning to gain the upper hand

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
quote edit etc oops

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

does propping my leg up on my knee count as manspreading? I need an expert

on the topic of academia i learned in third grade that this makes you gay

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
fat women take up more than one seat.

fat spreading.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All the nerds mad at the OP for mocking something on the Internet, lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"[BLANK] is a social construct" is a lot less compelling to people who are happy to conform to society's expectations. Somehow people still try to use it as a trump card.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

jynn posted:

All the nerds mad at the OP for mocking something on the Internet, lol

did you even read the thead

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

garfield hentai posted:

on the topic of academia i learned in third grade that this makes you gay

oh thank god

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kraps posted:

did you even read the thead

Yup

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ooh, ooh me next. I want a turn as the humorless rabbit hole of political angst. I'm pretty sure I'll win you all over with the cunning arguments I come up with after jerking off to other people who think exactly like me

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Pretty sure that Bane from Batman comics is toxically masculine.

Crezth
Nov 2, 2011

whatever floats your boat
(or sinks it)
Fun Shoe

Workin hard, ghost!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Dumping on white people is being turned into such an eye-rollingly overused, Kardashian-level pop culture trend that it's going to have zero meaning when people actually need to do it.

Christ, hipsters ruin everything.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
my new years resolutions as a heterosexual white male® are as follows:

smoke weed

praise jah rastafari

burn babylon

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Frosted Flake posted:

"[BLANK] is a social construct" is a lot less compelling to people who are happy to conform to society's expectations. Somehow people still try to use it as a trump card.

People choose not to realize that something that is "just a social construct" is still held up by the entire weight of the society and all the institutions that operate within it. It's the same logic libertarians use re. fiat money. Sure, your money isn't backed by a constant amount of gold, it is a glorified social construct, but that doesn't mean it is worthless or easily discredited.

People will always stick to what "works" for them unless you REALLY convince them, or there comes a crisis that makes the recognition of social inadequacies an existential necessity.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

I don't know why people say 2016 was a bad year, it just keeps getting better imo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I love it when corporations tell me how to look, act, and feel

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Workin' hard, ghost!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Dumping on white people is being turned into such an eye-rollingly overused, Kardashian-level pop culture trend that it's going to have zero meaning when people actually need to do it.

and what color are most hipsters? checkmate, bitch

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
MTV in 2019:

Dear yt men, stop telling women, ESPECIALLY women of color, to report to the nearest breeding camp for mandatory insemination.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Typical Pubbie posted:

MTV in 2019:

Dear yt men, stop telling women, ESPECIALLY women of color, to report to the nearest breeding camp for mandatory insemination.

No man that watches MTV is capable or interested in inseminating a woman, except perhaps OPs mom, whomever she is

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure this is exactly why Trump won.

Not the video, this thread.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

rotinaj posted:

I'm pretty sure this is exactly why Trump won.

Not the video, this thread.

this thread is the reason america won

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

-Blackadder- posted:

Extensive research has allowed the compilation of a list of reasons which would make dumping on an entire race actually needed:

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Cubone posted:

toxic masculinity isn't laughing because a guy snorted wasabi. that poo poo's hilarious and even if it wasn't it's not something anybody would be seriously interested in reducing.
toxic masculinity is more like just, any insecure bullshit about how you're not a "real" man if you're not suppressing your emotional vulnerability and eager to resort to violence, even when you have work in the morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSwikFMyx7M
Dave Grohl: masculine.
douchebag he's kicking out: toxic.

I get the sense people view that term as kind of an attack on masculinity, and that's... a weird way to frame it? because, that guy in the link, that was picking a fight at a concert? nobody loving likes that guy.
and that's all that toxic masculinity is, is a way to say gently caress that guy. a term for something we didn't have a term for. it's not meant to rule you, it's just a tool to draw a line around pointless destructive bullshit and say that's NOT what being a man is. that's some fuckface causing trouble because he thinks it makes him a man, and it doesn't- that's not what I am, that's not what my father and brothers are, and that's not what I want my sons to be.

watch beavis and butthead. work out. fish, and hunt. build poo poo. grow and maintain your facial hair. do your own household maintenance. be assertive. fulfill your civic responsibilities. make your paper. wash your hands with a nasty assed tub of borax. make a beer can pyramid. protect your loved ones. being masculine isn't the issue. the vast majority of masculine-coded behavior isn't toxic masculinity, because it isn't toxic. people will argue about that, because the particulars of sociological terminology are meant to be argued about and shift and change and fall in and out of use, because they're seeking long term academic consensus which only happens by arguing about it- but none of that really matters. the bottom line is just a tool that you can use, or, by all means, discard, however you see fit

... manspreading is some arbitrary bullshit though
like I get it sucks to sit next to somebody with no sense of personal space, and women are generally pressured to exhibit body language that emphasizes diminuitivity as part of a wider range of asymmetrical social expectations across gender lines and all that but this is just not a real battle
1) if it's an empty seat next to him, and nobody else is there to want to sit there, I can't imagine why that would be a problem. yet it's treated like it's the same as when they're practically leaning on you. why? t's not rude. it's not anything. they could be fully intending to move when somebody needs the space. why are you secretly photographing this?
2) why are you secretly photographing this? stop secretly photographing strangers on the train. I don't care if it's for your blog, I don't care that you blurred the faces, stop secretly photographing strangers. I would much rather be sitting in a train where somebody is taking up two seats while there is nobody there to sit in the other seat, than to be secretly photographed by a stranger. why would it be okay for you to do this?
but most of all
3) this is not a gendered phenomenon, just because somebody gendered it. when it came into social media prominence a few years ago, there was a response blog of women 'man'spreading on public transportation, because this is not a gendered phenomenon. thus even more people got to be secretly photographed by strangers.
doesn't the practice of tailoring a phenomenon to fit a predetermined narrative and dismissing contradictory evidence as exceptional or propagandistic seem familiar? in like a lovely way? almost as if it's the primary rhetorical method of most prejudices or something? we might as well be gendering liquor store robberies for all the good it does actually addressing the causes of the problem and moving toward fixing it.

it's like when we found out quinoa was destroying the food security of the equatorial south american countries it's grown in, and the people who already hated seeing a weird Q-word next to the rice-a-roni started going "see, these loving hipsters, with their fanny packs and ironic mustaches, they started eating this fad foodstuff because they want to pretend they know better than everybody else, but then the other foot drops! now everybody has to think I'm cool!"
and the hipsters went "why should I be ashamed to have moved to a healthier alternative to grain? I'm pumping money into their economy, for all you know this will improve their standard of living. at least I'm not some complacent, mcdonalds chugging-"
everybody forgetting that this was not an issue of first world dietary choices as reflective of lifestyle values.
nobody expects you to know everything about everything, but now we know this, and, if the problems seem genuine to you, and are worth more than you eating quinoa, then don't buy the loving quinoa! that was the only lesson, and nobody learned it. the people who were buying quinoa and the people snidely deriding the people buying quinoa both still think they won that battle. nobody wanted to talk about it as a real issue that needed to be addressed, it just became another reductive and utterly ineffectual round to fire in everybody's neverending war with their ideological opposites.

this loving seat thing came up like four goddamned years ago and people are still arguing the same stupid bullshit sniping passive-aggressive arguments that are entirely about how dumb and wrong the people they always don't agree with are, over a problem that everybody already hated. if we actually gave a poo poo I bet we could get a lot of metro companies to put in movable seat dividers, or at least signs reminding people to be mindful of other passengers. instead of nothing, which is what happened and what will always happen if we can't raise the loving discourse
nothing but stupid droning bullshit arguments and snide comments and dismissive jokes that don't do anything but reaffirm your own internal sense of superiority for not being whatever it is you already aren't, and those of us who can't milk a cowardly and pathetic dopamine rush out of that have to just sit here like a quadrapolegic mute parent watching their children fight their way into the inside of an active industrial cardboard bailer. smash smash
oh thank you 😘 sorry this one isn't as good

that is indeed how I roll- if you check my rap sheet you'll see I was probated for no caps posting when it was probatable and, like these posts, they actually did contain capital letters because I habitually capitalize I's, which I do because I'm the most important person in the world and I can do whatever I loving, loving, loving want

Seal everyone inside the thread.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

Extensive research has allowed the compilation of a list of reasons which would make dumping on an entire race actually needed:

Getting poo poo done throughout all of human history?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

emoji posted:

Getting poo poo done throughout all of human history?

Hi there, Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

that already happened. see: results of us 2016 general election

• Locked thread