Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I think I'm on my 4th. I started in Ambush league.

Sotar fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Tulip posted:

So I'm trying to get some new players into this with 3,0; what are some common newbie pitfalls to be ready for, from a teaching standpoint?

The game is really complicated and it's easy to get overwhelmed. So generally I'd advise that a new player read a build guide before playing but not worry too much about following every detail. Then after they've gotten to white maps (which any build can do) they can go back and follow a guide in detail.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Does anyone know if Dark Pact actually scales off your life if you don't have any active skeletons, or does the life scaling only work if you target skeletons with it?

I have no idea how to min/max this skill or if it's even league starter viable but I'm determined to make it work.

e: I'm basically looking at some dumb self-cast Dark Pact Guardian right now, although I'm pretty sure totems are going to be way better for self-casting it.

We don't know for sure right now since GGG hasn't shown the skill gem yet and no one's gotten to use it, but there is a datamined one from the beta and it matches what GGG has said they want the skill to do. So based on the datamine and what developers have described it works like this:

-If cast on a skeleton, it will bounce on up to 3 skeletons, removing 6% of their max life and adding damage equal to the life removed.
-If cast with no nearby skeletons, if will remove 6% of your max life, and get +4 base radius as well as up to +152% more damage. If less than 6% of your life is removed (it will never leave you with less than 1 hp), it will get a more multiplier that scales with that number (152%*%life lost/6).

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
How do you remove skin transfers in the new mtx system?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think they said it was like shift click or control click or something like that

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Awesome! posted:

i think they said it was like shift click or control click or something like that

it was shift, thanks

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Ugh, removing the jewel vendor is very very slightly annoying. It'll still be pretty easy to get all the jewels most likely, so I can still do my frostbolt totems, but it would have been nice to not be reliant on trading for it.

I'm also mad because I'm going to miss approximately 75% of the first five days :argh:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

theshim posted:

Ugh, removing the jewel vendor is very very slightly annoying. It'll still be pretty easy to get all the jewels most likely, so I can still do my frostbolt totems, but it would have been nice to not be reliant on trading for it.

I'm also mad because I'm going to miss approximately 75% of the first five days :argh:

Its just a quest now, unless you need multiple of them per character it shouldn't matter.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

Its just a quest now, unless you need multiple of them per character it shouldn't matter.
Yeah, Frostbolt wants 2 of them. Again, it's still gonna be a ton easier getting them, and I really like that from GGG, as they are build enablers for a lot of the older skill gems.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The jewels are good because you can band-aid a mediocre skill into being pretty good without making things OP. Having to give up 1-2 jewel sockets is a good tradeoff IMO.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

the bitcoin of weed posted:

what a pity, guess I'll have to be a boring human god of lightning

Hell yeah team Raiden let's go. Time to make some Arc totems or something.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx
I'm at 5 years and 2 months, according to my pathofexile.com profile, but I don't think I even played up to brutus before open beta started.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
September 5, 2011

This was before maps were even in the game :stonk:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/892538270776672256
https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/892538369812471808

Those two + Whispering Ice = profit?

vvv Ha! Beaten

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The Pale Council is getting a rework.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1930237

quote:

The previous Pale Council uniques can now be obtained from each Pale Council Prophecy chain.

- efb

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So for Wild Strike, does the secondary effect also hit the original melee target? AKA does it essentially double the damage?

Planning on running a Wild Strike Inquisider (Scion Inquisitor + Raider).
(Path of Building import)

It trades evenly on damage with a pure Raider version (PoB) (Onslaught + Inquistor crit making up for damage and frenzy bonuses), and trades a bit more life in place of elemental status invulnerability/phasing.

Attack is 4L Hysteria Gloves with WS + EDWA + Immolate + Ice Bite (gem colors don't work for this, but Multistrike in place of Ice Bite against bosses).
Weapons are attack speed/crit foils, with both physical and elemental ones working. Hyoans Fury or Scaeva at level 60/62 as a starter, though they're not optimal due to low AS. Lycosidae for easy hits, Kaom's as chestpiece. The new Taming seems to be really good for this, providing 120% ele damage, though no life. Jewels are really flexible since WS is a melee, attack, fire, cold, and lightning skill too.

I think it should scale OK, won't breach the million DPS mark though.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Oh hey there's a reason to ever do the Pale Council proph chains, cool.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

So I guess we found a competitor for Skyforth for the title of "most overpowered boots in the game"

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
It's increased not more, so not OP I think.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

not 30 ms, trash boots

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Ability to get breath/grip of the council just by doing prophecy chains is pretty cool.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

lurksion posted:

It's increased not more, so not OP I think.

Thats not really the op part of the boots. They're batshit insane for Cospri's Discharge.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

TheRat posted:

Thats not really the op part of the boots. They're batshit insane for Cospri's Discharge.
Ah, makes sense. Not against trash since you're already probably discharging max (?). Single target 25% chance of max discharge instead of 1 discharge, so with 7 charges that works to average 1.375 charges, so 37.5% more from boots.

Never played Cospri Discharge so this is me throwing random numbers at poo poo.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Life based jugg discharge with them boots, might not be good, but it would be funny.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
The worst part about them removing eternals is the death of middle ground rare weapons on standard. You have 1 handed crit weapons that go up to around 300-350 dps, then boom strait up to 550 mirrored items with no gradual climb anymore. I miss that.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Okay, Berserker question:

If you cast Dark Pact with no minions, it costs 6% of maximum life. Does the 10% more damage taken node boost that to 16%, causing a Savage Hit and allowing for the 100% damage leech?

If so, I think I smell a meme build of a bunch of CWDT + Dark Pact set ups.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Ultima66 posted:

We don't know for sure right now since GGG hasn't shown the skill gem yet and no one's gotten to use it, but there is a datamined one from the beta and it matches what GGG has said they want the skill to do. So based on the datamine and what developers have described it works like this:

-If cast on a skeleton, it will bounce on up to 3 skeletons, removing 6% of their max life and adding damage equal to the life removed.
-If cast with no nearby skeletons, if will remove 6% of your max life, and get +4 base radius as well as up to +152% more damage. If less than 6% of your life is removed (it will never leave you with less than 1 hp), it will get a more multiplier that scales with that number (152%*%life lost/6).

Ah okay, thanks. If that's the case then massive life stacking isn't a huge deal for scaling selfcast's damage (outside of just general survivability).

I'm kind of having trouble finding synergies with it in ascendancies. :( Guardian has some kind of okay general stuff for it and Abyssal Cry seems like it could be a decent supplement for it, and I think Occultist could work if I went hybrid life/ES since it has kind of bad curse support (only enfeeble/temp chains really work for it and those are both purely defense options).

Occultist/Berserker Ascendant seems like it'd be great for damage though, I might try that.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

redneck nazgul posted:

If you cast Dark Pact with no minions, it costs 6% of maximum life. Does the 10% more damage taken node boost that to 16%, causing a Savage Hit and allowing for the 100% damage leech?

The skill doesn't do damage to you or your skeletons, it instead instantly removes life, so the skill does not work with Cast when Damage Taken and other self-damage setups and cannot be mitigated. Instead, the caster must use leech or other forms of life recovery to sustain their own life when used on themselves, or resummon their skeletons if they die.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So what if you had Null's with 5 summon skeletons linked to a minion life?

That sounds like it might be cool.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

redneck nazgul posted:

10% more damage taken would make it do 6.6% damage.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
When would you cast dark pact?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kild posted:

10% more damage taken would make it do 6.6% damage.

10% more damage taken would make it do 6%. It's hp removal, not damage.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheRat posted:

10% more damage taken would make it do 6%. It's hp removal, not damage.

listne here.. I was just just trying to correct his assumption it was just +10%.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kild posted:

listne here.. I was just just trying to correct his assumption it was just +10%.

And I was correcting yours :-)

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
You're all wrong.

Source: I'm right

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wheres the fuckin patch notes

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009