Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

So I got a top bar bee hive sans bees. I'll be repairing it, refinishing it, and maybe even improving on it this winter as baby's first woodworking project.

Pictured, lid open, frames and legs removed:

After all that work I say you never let the bees back. That's your hive now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

After all that work I say you never let the bees back. That's your hive now.

it's like a short coffin with show legs, so...

what I'm saying is I'm a vampire

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

it's like a short coffin with show legs, so...

what I'm saying is I'm a vampire

a portable sized vampire to boot!

Robot Made of Meat

Starshark posted:

I'm going to do a podcast about politics, the media, and occasionally dunking on the odd movie. It's going to be called, Has This Been Done Yet?

How about "Has This Been Done to Death Yet?"

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

sockingtonsworth

finished the rough draft for my ep today, can’t wait to start the script for the short film aspect https://soundcloud.com/infinitymeter/sets/how-we-got-to-tim-lake/s-TSHpn

DrowningInDreams

Dilettante lizard
I'm working on writing a series of video games that will never get made

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YxoMMIA81XLFDqgB-ZW1YnBcWBnAHEhNOTsl2sCCOL8/edit

“Torn between violence and disillusionment, I seem to myself a terrorist who, going out in the street to perpetrate some outrage, stops on the way to consult Ecclesiastes or Epictetus” - Emil Cioran

Fredflonston

sockingtonsworth posted:

finished the rough draft for my ep today, can’t wait to start the script for the short film aspect https://soundcloud.com/infinitymeter/sets/how-we-got-to-tim-lake/s-TSHpn

This is really cool my dude. Reminds me of Telefon Tel Aviv plus Step Dad. What DAW you using?

alnilam

alnilam posted:

I'm going to share my current project, which I am not even sharing with many people IRL. It is sort of unbyob. I am learning 2 hunt.

the twist is I'm a vegetarian :wth:

well it's not really a twist but a lot of people are like "wtf how does that make sense" but the truth is like many vegetarians i object more to meat farming practices than i do to the very idea of killing and eating an animal, and as far as meat goes I think hunted meat is the most ethical, in my personal philosophy.

Basically I plan to have (a) child(ren) some day, and i feel like i am going to have to feed them (and my pregnant wife) some meat. Not in every meal but definitely sometimes while they growin. I probably will have to buy at least a little meat (ideally from a cool good farm), but I'd like a healthy fraction of what i feed them to be hunted. As for the supplemental meat i might end up buying, even to feel right doing that, I feel like I have to get comfortable with hunting first. I have this philosophy where it doesn't sit right with me to enjoy something if I'm unwilling to do the hard part involved. So even if I buy some meat sometimes, if I absolutely refuse to ever be the killer and butcher myself, then I'm not being honest with myself about what I'm consuming, I'm just letting someone else do the hard part in my name behind closed doors. At least that's how my brain views the world.

I also do really love animals a lot a lot, so I think it's going to be very emotionally difficult for me, but this is something I feel like I have to do for the reasons mentioned above.

Progress so far:
I've been practicing shooting hunting rifles, took a hunter safety course, got a hunting license, been reading some introductory material about it but having an IRL teacher is a necessity. I recently found out that a very good friend and camping buddy of mine who like me is vegetarian actually grew up a hunter, quit years ago, and is looking to get back into it with a similar philosophy as i ahve, so I've found a teacher. I was worried I'd ahve to look around for a friendly stranger to teach me. That could havae been fun and I bet I would have found a cool one but I'm kind of an unusual hunter and I'm glad I found someone very like minded to teach me how to do it. Like having grown up around a lot of hunters (extremely common in PA) I would say there are a lot of hunters who are extremely respectful towards their game, and then (at least here in PA) there are maybe just as many who are irreverent like rootin and tootin about killin stuff. I'm very glad that I found a hunting teacher who falls into the former camp because it would be hard for me to deal with the rootin and tootin while I'm trying to deal with my personal emotional difficulty of killing something. Also he's my good friend who I already enjoy hanging out and camping with so yay.

That has been my project recently and hopefully I will see some success this fall. This is the first time I've told almost anyone other than my wife and 2 frinds about this.

:siren:Update!:siren:
I... I did it. I shot and killed a fairly large buck on the first day of PA rifle season.
I cried, a lot
But it's okay, that's what I expected

(sorta :nms: I mean I don't go into detail but if you don't wanna hear about it don't de-spoiler-tag this)
I won't go into the killing itself unless anyone is interested. After that, I did everything: gutted, skinned, and quartered it, took everything home, put it on ice, and then had a marathon day the next day in my basement cutting meat away from bones and packaging and freezing it. Then I buried the bones and head in my backyard, while bawling my eyes out (I guess it was kind of funeral-esque) so that they will decompose and become cool bones/skull to keep and then immediately after finishing that last bit, I had half an hour to run upstairs, shower, pack businessy clothes, and hop on a bus to the airport to go to a conference for work. That was a very weird transition.

I also wonder what the neighbors thought was up if they saw me back-filling a big hole in my backyard while crying profusely :thunk:

I'm still a little shook up and still occasionally tear up about it. It's pretty haunting. That odesn't mean I regret it though, in fact I plan to do it again eventually. It's just very hard to do.

ty manifisto

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

:glomp:

That's rough stuff, friend.

To add content...

I've scraped out all the excess wax from the top bar and begun sanding the components with 100 grit sandpaper. Ordinarily I might go outside with the electric sander, but it's cold out there, so I'm staying in and doing it by hand. Two of the legs are partly rotten, so replacements are in order. I'm going with cedar; I imagine much of the original pine will get replaced in the next couple years, judging by some of the buckling.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 30, 2017

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

deep dish peat moss

I started rapping again :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 2, 2017

deep dish peat moss

Holy poo poo I started looking through that old tindeck account and I need to do another thread where byob posts rap songs and I rap them:

And of course the classic boats torture:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 2, 2017

sockingtonsworth

Fredflonston posted:

This is really cool my dude. Reminds me of Telefon Tel Aviv plus Step Dad. What DAW you using?

logic pro x baby! love it

and thank you!

deep dish peat moss

deep dish peat moss posted:

I recently wrote this creative nonfiction piece about a trip I took a couple years ago

I haven't had the chance to revise it yet but my professor + the people in the workshop all loved it and applauded it as one of the better uses of 2nd person they've seen (even tho it breaks down a few times) + a fantastic deconstruction of the Kerouac/Salinger "coming of age" spiritual journey trope

Edit: Hold on, the formatting breaks down on the forums. Here's a pastebin link:
https://pastebin.com/YLtywtEe

If anyone knows a better place to host short stories let me know

An edited version of this is gettin' published! This is my first time being published and I'm real excited.

https://pastebin.com/Z8pYnh7c

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

An edited version of this is gettin' published! This is my first time being published and I'm real excited.

This is rad, fc, and so is the new lyric you posted above.

Also f'ing boats torture I forgot about that lol

cda

by Hand Knit

Good for you, dude. First publication is a big deal

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I'm still trying to work on my gps navigation app but it's hard!

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

kalel

I want to code something but I'm not sure what

Also I want to write a screenplay, I have a bunch of ideas

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
A computer program that writes screenplays

kalel

AverySpecialfriend posted:

A computer program that writes screenplays

........mother fucker I think you're on to something!!!

deep dish peat moss

Hugh Malone posted:

This is rad, fc, and so is the new lyric you posted above.

Also f'ing boats torture I forgot about that lol

cda posted:

Good for you, dude. First publication is a big deal

Thank you friends :tipshat: I'm hoping to leverage this to transition into writing for a living by the end of the year, either by getting more work published or getting a copywriting job or whatever!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Well, I successfully compiled a "hello world" android project. That took me, what, two months? Lol. I haven't even figured out how to make the emulator work yet. I'll get there.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

deep dish peat moss

I just finished this short story and I don't know what to call it yet so right now it's just called 1552 Weird Words About Hearts

https://pastebin.com/sZnjG6K0

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I've been making a shop stool to use at work. The :10bux: farm and fleet one I've been using this past year is down to two wheels and missing a leg, so if you don't balance just right, you take a tumble (which I have, mid weld. Good times. Go me). Im using the wheel from a 92' Buick Century that i found for cheap on Ebay as the base, two sizes of square tubing so the height can be adjusted, and the seat and back are maple with two small strips of mahogany. So its maple/mahogany/maple/mahogany/maple.

My BFF since high school is having a baby! and asked if I'd make a toy chest for the kid. I plan to start as soon as she gets back to me with what size, style and finish her and her husband want. I'd just make everything victorian/art nouveau but i guess not everyone has good taste like me. :shrug:

I'm also planning on a light box for drawing and some other stuff like led lightsabers for my nieces and nephews. The kind they can really swing and wail on each other with cuz I'm the Cool Aunt, dammit.

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

DavidAlltheTime

All David...all the TIME!
I made a song:

Papa Was A Video Toaster

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I made a song:

I liked the part with Bob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I made a song:

Dug it, nice sample and synth selections.

Here's a couple of my more recent track uploads I don't think I'd put on here yet, one ambient one more dancy.

https://soundcloud.com/eric-zak/cosmic-background

https://soundcloud.com/eric-zak/glow-8-11-17

I also recently had the album I posted here a few months ago professionally mastered, up on Bandcamp now: https://linelab.bandcamp.com/album/lucid-dreaming-for-pets

• Locked thread