Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

I'll never understand why people are so attached to a number.

There was just a guy wondering where he needs to jump into Hellblazer because of the number of new series.

It does become difficult when there are numerous "volumes" from relaunch. DC was doing very well by letting the numbers continue while putting big banners at the top saying when it was a new arc. I think that should be expanded and have a banner for when a new creative team is starting a run.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 21, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I used to be opposed to it but it's probably time for comics to move to a season based system with the year attached.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

I used to be opposed to it but it's probably time for comics to move to a season based system with the year attached.

Sure as long as i dont have to read a loving #1 origin story two to three times year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Sure as long as i dont have to read a loving #1 origin story two to three times year.

Ugh, none of that. Just let a good creative team tell one story for however many issues they want without a need to release 12 issues in a year just to have an issue out each month.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Idea: A comic book series where all issues are number #1

Friend, have you heard of a comic called Milk & Cheese?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Samuringa posted:

Idea: A comic book series where all issues are number #1

Multiversity was pretty great, yeah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nobody who dislikes constant renumberings is "attached to a number". That's an idiotic premise. I don't give a poo poo if spider-man says 26879 or 1 on it. It's just annoying because it makes catching up on comics confusing when there's 12 number 1s in a couple years and it's a blatant marketing gimmick that doesn't work. And then you factor in dumb poo poo like "issue 12.now" and it's just asinine.

Madkal posted:

Hey! There were some kick-rear end toys that came out of the Spawn line.

And numbers are probably more of a deterrent to new fans than anything else [citation needed]. In a perfect world story arcs would be there own thing and numbers would just indicate what part of the arc the current issue fits in.

You're describing the 90s Venom comic. Which, due to this marketing-driven gimmick, was impossible to subscribe to despite being an ongoing in all but numbering.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 21, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Endless Mike posted:

Friend, have you heard of a comic called Milk & Cheese?

Jesus, people aren't kidding when they say comics have done literally everything

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody who dislikes constant renumberings is "attached to a number". That's an idiotic premise. I don't give a poo poo if spider-man says 26879 or 1 on it. It's just annoying because it makes catching up on comics confusing when there's 12 number 1s in a couple years and it's a blatant marketing gimmick that doesn't work. And then you factor in dumb poo poo like "issue 12.now" and it's just asinine.
Personally, I am quite excited to buy Avengers #1 for like the 4th time in 6 years.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My admittedly vague post was in response to somebody caring that Mad Magazine was being renumbered because, uh, it used to be a big number and now it's at number 1? I just do not get why anybody is supposed to care about that, or when Marvel decided to go with Legacy numbering. The Legacy numbering especially just felt like an excuse to charge extra for a bunch of books because they got to a big milestone number that they all just conveniently landed on or was close to one.

Admittedly, I also don't quite understand why Mad had to renumber in the first place?

I also do not like the constant renumbering back to 1 that Marvel does every year to half its line, sometimes multiple times a year. The only good thing about the relaunches is that they at least usually come with new series too.

I hope that clears things up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So which number 1s are worth money and which are worthless?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

So which number 1s are worth money and which are worthless?

Both.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Guy Goodbody posted:

Remember when DC did a bunch of random 12 issue series not connected to the universe? Like Camelot 3000, and Outcasts, and Amethyst: Princess of Gym World?

Those owned, I wish they still did that.

Amethyst is part of the DC Universe. Also not a fitness royal.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

Amethyst is part of the DC Universe. Also not a fitness royal.

She is now. I mean that both ways, the first Amethyst series was not part of the DC universe, and also I have decided the next Amethyst reboot should be about an ordinary girl entering a world of magical fitness

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

My admittedly vague post was in response to somebody caring that Mad Magazine was being renumbered because, uh, it used to be a big number and now it's at number 1? I just do not get why anybody is supposed to care about that, or when Marvel decided to go with Legacy numbering. The Legacy numbering especially just felt like an excuse to charge extra for a bunch of books because they got to a big milestone number that they all just conveniently landed on or was close to one.

Admittedly, I also don't quite understand why Mad had to renumber in the first place?

I also do not like the constant renumbering back to 1 that Marvel does every year to half its line, sometimes multiple times a year. The only good thing about the relaunches is that they at least usually come with new series too.

I hope that clears things up.

Sorry, I assumed when I made a comment about losing decades of Mad continuity that it was obvious I was being facetious.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

Sorry, I assumed when I made a comment about losing decades of Mad continuity that it was obvious I was being facetious.

Oh, I understood that. I was just wondering in general really.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I really didn't like going back through all my Hellboy/BPRD comics and everything is a renumbered miniseries but then you have to look on the credits page and it actually says what number in order it is. Why couldn't that have just been the number? Or if there are no single-issue stories and everything is part of a mutli-issue story just keep the numbers rolling and put (1 of 5) underneath.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The goofiest number thing I've ever encountered is the old Punisher mini Circle of Blood. Where every couple of issues it changes how long the miniseries is supposed to run.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I remember an old video of Dr.Doom as an insult comic and damned if I can't find it anywhere now, anybody know the one?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

The goofiest number thing I've ever encountered is the old Punisher mini Circle of Blood. Where every couple of issues it changes how long the miniseries is supposed to run.

Because they changed it at editorial three times.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Retro Futurist posted:

I remember an old video of Dr.Doom as an insult comic and damned if I can't find it anywhere now, anybody know the one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RokEgUTI2vI

I remember two follow-up videos. One that has Reed angrily responding as if he was taking the claims at face value with no understanding that they were jokes. The other was Doom wielding Mjolnir and doing a Gallagher bit.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Because they changed it at editorial three times.

There sounds like there should be a crazy story to this. Is there a crazy story to this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

There sounds like there should be a crazy story to this. Is there a crazy story to this?

That's all I know about it but I'm sure someone has the details.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gavok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RokEgUTI2vI

I remember two follow-up videos. One that has Reed angrily responding as if he was taking the claims at face value with no understanding that they were jokes. The other was Doom wielding Mjolnir and doing a Gallagher bit.

Grazi

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't they fold in Amethyst, Skartaris/Warlord, and Arion/Atlantis all on at the same time during the first Crisis?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's pretty depressing that Batman and Suicide Squad both kind of confirmed that Trump is the president of the USA in the DC Universe. I like to think that in a world where Superman exists the States, and the world itself, would be in a better place.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Madkal posted:

It's pretty depressing that Batman and Suicide Squad both kind of confirmed that Trump is the president of the USA in the DC Universe. I like to think that in a world where Superman exists the States, and the world itself, would be in a better place.

That's the terrible depressing movie universe. In the DCCW universe the president is Wonder Woman

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Madkal posted:

They elected Lex Luthor too. Or a version of the current DCU did, which everyone forgot or something. I'm not sure how the whole thing works right now.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

muscles like this! posted:

It happens sometimes. Gaiman's Eternals did the same thing, along with Secret Wars 2015. And, uh, Kevin Smith's Spider-Man/Black Cat mini also.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Black Panther history question: where/when did the idea that Wakanda has always been the most technologically advanced nation on earth originate? I was reading Don McGregor's 70s run the other day, and it makes fairly clear at multiple points that the advanced technology is a new development under T'Challa's reign, which obviously isn't the case in the film or current comic continuity.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Black Panther personally had access to state of the art (for the time) tech and amenities in his first appearance in Fantastic Four. Don't know if that's where Wakanda as a world-leader in technology originated, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I don't think they were "state of the art" so much as just cutting edge in a world of helicarriers and flying robots. Their uncolonized and hidden aspect were bigger focuses in the 60s.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Astro City is generally considered "Good to Great", right? I read a smattering of it in high school and just picked up the first trade from Half-Price Books, and really enjoyed it. Is it all worth seeking out?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

A Strange Aeon posted:

Astro City is generally considered "Good to Great", right? I read a smattering of it in high school and just picked up the first trade from Half-Price Books, and really enjoyed it. Is it all worth seeking out?

Abso-loving-lutely.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's my favorite of all comics.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Black Panther personally had access to state of the art (for the time) tech and amenities in his first appearance in Fantastic Four. Don't know if that's where Wakanda as a world-leader in technology originated, though.

In his first appearance Black Panther states that the super high tech stuff happened under his reign. So it is definitely a later thing that they've always been high tech.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Diamond has announced their own pull box system that will allow users to create their pull lists at home and synch it to a participating comic shop, which will then allow the shops to automatically add them to their Diamond purchase lists. Seems like a pretty smart thing to do and should hopefully simplify things for both shops and customers.

https://previewsworld.com/Article/207735-Diamond-Set-to-Release-New-Online-Pull--Hold-Service-PREVIEWSworld-PULLBOX

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I wasn’t sure if my small shop was going to use the new diamond app but it looks like they will if pricing makes sense. Owner is excited about it at least.

I switched shops about a month ago and the new one, despite being much less friendly looking, is just so much better. The guy who owns / runs it is super nice and really cares about the customer service. What a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
How accurate is this?

• Locked thread