Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

forgetting about having edge usb has to be some kind of crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Edge USB with a dive is literally 17 hits on a double cast. or is it 18 i forget, either way its uh. its good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

McDragon posted:

Ugh I need more keystones gotta beat up more magicites c'mon.

Good news! Keystones are going away in two weeks!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
How bad are Torments in comparison to other things? Should I make an attempt at the first tier before they go away?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Torments have been power creeped to hell and back. They're extremely easy, and you've got nothing to lose but time for trying them.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

MarquiseMindfang posted:

How bad are Torments in comparison to other things? Should I make an attempt at the first tier before they go away?

They've been pretty thoroughly power creeped. If you made pulls on the last fest you should be able to beat them, even if those pulls gave you nothing but BSBs.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
If you're not going for the D200 Cid Mission, they're really easy, and even then they're not too bad. Just load up on lots of AoE abilities for the trash waves like Meteor, Ruinga, Summons, ect. I actually like Bursts for these since a lot of them have AoE commands and you can save your ability slots for the boss.

The hardest difficulty is 90 5* Motes (+ 30 for the CM) so try to do as many as you can before they disappear. Sometimes, these are actually a lot easier then the D200/250 difficulty because they're Jump Starts where you start with full SB bars, they have no trash waves, and some of them actually have worse stats then the D250 for no apparent reason.

RW Godwall is amazing for all of them, especially if you're going for the CMs. Cloud USB1 can also work well for the D300 combined with the full SB bars for a speed clear.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Attestant posted:

Eh. Gogo is a bit of a dud, but that banner also has Strago's magical water chain, his water radiant shield USB, and Umaro's strong USB that does great ice chases. If anything, it's a really great banner with one dud character. And even then Gogo USB is a +ATK/+MAG/+RES buff and Hastega.

It's instant cast, too. The brave mode might suck and Gogo can't wrath/entrust so it's not helpful for magicites (I guess you could have him bring a black magic spell along to boost chain count if nothing else?) but it's a good Crystal Tower tool at the bare minimum. It's definitely a banner I'm going to keep my eye on depending on what my gear situation looks like in 5-6 months. Water magic is still a pretty rare niche.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Fister Roboto posted:

Good news! Keystones are going away in two weeks!

wait what

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Along with the crystals you get from farming them. Use up your keys before they go away!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if you can sub30 a 4* for some crystal you care about you could use up your rocks on that

otherwise don't go out of your way for it, life's just getting more convenient

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Going away with the maintenance on the 17th then, I assume?

Time to farm Marilith some more!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Grozz Nuy posted:

It's instant cast, too. The brave mode might suck and Gogo can't wrath/entrust so it's not helpful for magicites (I guess you could have him bring a black magic spell along to boost chain count if nothing else?) but it's a good Crystal Tower tool at the bare minimum. It's definitely a banner I'm going to keep my eye on depending on what my gear situation looks like in 5-6 months. Water magic is still a pretty rare niche.

The brave ability is fine. Compare it to Alphinaud's; Alph is 12 hits of 247 potency (2964 total potency, 4446 total potency if you have attach wind from something else), while a triplecasted chain -ja is 15 hits of 305 potency (4575 total potency).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, basically magicite fights will only cost stamina now, but will no longer drop major orbs or crystals. To compensate, the repeatable completion reward for orb/crystal dungeons will be increased to two orbs and one crystal respectively, and the amount of arcana you get from magicite battles will be significantly increased, to the point that a sub-30 clear will be about 5 times as stamina efficient as Sunday XP dungeon for leveling magicite.

All in all it's a huge QOL improvement.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Fister Roboto posted:

the amount of arcana you get from magicite battles will be significantly increased, to the point that a sub-30 clear will be about 5 times as stamina efficient as Sunday XP dungeon for leveling magicite.
As someone that spends basically all my stamina in the exp dungeon leveling magicite, I wanted to see just how crazy it is. God drat.

5* - 20 stamina
1 major 250,000 (clear)
3 major 750,000 (sub30)
12 large 600,000 (sub60)
45 middle 450,000 (sub90)
20 small 50,000 (sub120)
Total (sub30): 2.1M xp, 105k xp/stam
Total (sub60): 1.35M xp, 67.5k xp/stam

4* - 20 stamina
3 large 150,000 (clear)
2 major 500,000 (sub30)
10 large 500,000 (sub60)
10 middle 100,000 (sub90)
20 small 50,000 (sub120)
Total (sub30): 1.3M xp, 65k xp/stam
Total (sub60): 800k xp, 40k xp/stam

3* - 20 stamina
1 large 50,000 (clear)
1 major 250,000 (sub30)
5 large 250,000 (sub60)
15 middle 150,000 (sub90)
Total (sub30): 700k, 35k xp/stam
Total (sub60): 450k, 22.5k xp/stam

XP daily:
Sunday: 588k xp, 40 stamina, 14.7k xp/stam
Other: ~500k xp, 40 stamina, ~12.5k xp/stam

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

:stare: Good lord. Who knew Arcana were so useable after all?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It takes 18.4 million XP to level a 4* or 5* magicite from 1 to 99, so that's 14 4* sub-30 clears and change. If you hate grinding magicite it will still suck, but it will be really nice that you're not effectively spending orbs to level them anymore.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
This is why I've stopped running exp dungeons on any day that isn't Sunday and haven't run them at all this fest.

HOWEVER, one thing to keep in mind though the limiting factor will be your sanity: You can spend a days worth of stamina on the exp daily in a few minutes of auto-battling, but, even if you've got a 4* on autopilot, it still takes time and attention and a full day of stamina is 24 magicite battles. So odds are you're still going to run the exp daily on Sunday a couple times to burn stamina (or maybe save events for Sunday?), unless they're doing something to make the orb meadows more attractive.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Armitage posted:

with the worst 5* piece of equipment in his LMR.

Oh how quickly we forget.

Like, I will not argue that Gogo 6 LMR is The Worst LMR In The Game. It is, bar none; it takes his already awful no-good gimmick and makes it unreliable/unusable, and it's not even stats on a character that has utility elsewhere.

But it's not the worst 5* equipment in the game.

Genji Shield IV exists.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Alxprit posted:

:stare: Good lord. Who knew Arcana were so useable after all?

Arcana were always good. It's just that we've been on a drip feed, and major arcana had no repeatable farming source.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Oh? 5* Magicites take the same amount of EXP that 4* Magicites do?

good to know.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

This is great news! Now I just have to dump all of my keystones :negative:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
FFIII relics are now known - Luneth gets chase tech, Arc swings BACK to healing, and Refia gets... an LMR/Glint/Arcane Overstrike. The Physical Wind remains a mystery. Banner 2's all old tech, though it's got both of Onion Knight's buff USBs.

Banner 1 posted:

Refia's Godhand [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Fire Overflow physical attacks
Luneth's Masamune [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 20 single-target Wind ranged physical attacks & single-target Wind Overflow ranged physical attack

Luneth's Blood Lance [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Wind/NE physical attacks, En-Wind & Bustling Gale to user
Bustling Gale: When using Wind abilities, 10% HP Drain & chases with 6 single-target Wind/NE physical attacks
Arc's Holy Rod [USB, +10 MND] - h85 heal & RES +100% to party, Instant Cast, Brave Mode to user
Condition: Use White Magic abilities
Level 0: Single-target h25 heal, Instant Cast
Level 1: h25 heal to party, Instant Cast
Level 2: h55 heal to party, Instant Cast
Level 3: h55 heal & Guts to party, Instant Cast

Ingus's Giant's Axe [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Earth/NE physical attacks, En-Earth, ATK & DEF +30% and Titan Strike to user
Titan Strike: After using Knight abilities, chases with 4~6 single-target Earth/NE physical attacks, number of hits is dependent on user's DEF

Refia's Model [Glint, +10 ATK] - High Quick Cast 2 & +1 Flame Burst to user, Instant Cast
Flame Burst Mode: Under 1/2/3 Flame Burst, chases Fire abilities with 4/5/6 single-target Fire/NE physical attacks
Luneth's Mighty Hammer [Glint, +10 ATK] - 6 single-target Wind/NE physical attacks, Instant Cast, En-Wind & En-Wind Stack to user

Refia's Cat-Ear Hood [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Fire for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Luneth's Dragoon's Armor [LMR, +10 ATK] - When using Wind abilities, 35% chance to grant user Quick Cast 1
Luneth's Blessed Hammer [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Wind for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Arc's Lordly Robes [LMR, +10 MND] - MND +1% for each White Magic hit, up to 25%
Ingus's Genji Armor [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Earth for 25 seconds at the start of battle

Banner 2:

quote:

Onion Knight mUSB
Onion Knight pUSB
Aria USB
Arc USB1
Refia USB

Aria BSB
Cloud of Darkness BSB2
Desch BSB

Onion Knight LMR1
Aria LMR2
Aria LMR1
Refia LMR

Next month's lineup isn't fully known yet, but it will involve Type-0 for certain, and possibly XI as datamining turned up a character ID for Lilisette.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Glint chase is new, good to see they are doing different things with these instead of the first couple being all the same.

Andante
Jul 3, 2008
Are ninjas worth a dive without any relics at all?

For reference, characters with five-star ninja access are:
Tyro (Core) and Onion Knight (FF3), technically
Edge (FF4)
Kelger (FF5)
Shadow (FF6)
Yuffie (FF7)
Fujin (FF8)
Kiros (FF8)
Lion (FF11)
Thancred (FF14)
Hilariously, not Ninja (core)

Of those, the ones with dualcast Legend Materia are:
Edge (FF4)
Shadow (FF6)
Yuffie (FF7)

If it's worth it to dive a ninja without any relics, is there one of those three that the thread would recommend? If so, why?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ninja tech is really potent even without a relic for a character with access, they are massively orb hungry but can very effectively hit three elements (water/earth/dark). If I recall rightly I think Shadow has the slight advantage over the other two on his dives because he gets a chunky bit of Ninja Damage both record and legend dive. Yuffie favors water in her dive and will potentially win in that particular element but I haven't done or seen the math over how the three compare when relic-less.

tl;dr: Yes Shadow/Edge/Yuffie in particular are dive worth for Ninja tech without owning any relics. Someone else may want to come in with some hard numbers on who of those three is the best option though.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if you dive a ninja you are 100% guaranteed to pull a relic for some different ninja soon after

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Okay yeah you guys were right, even the D300 torment went down in one Holy chain. I should spend my time doing these this week. Delicious 5 star motes.

Relatedly: who best to dive? Candidates are Tyro (lol), D.Cecil, Gilgamesh, Celes, Terra, Relm, Locke, Sabin, Cloud, Vincent, Garnet, Vivi, Beatrix, Tidus, Seymour, Raines, Alphinaud, Y'shtola, Prompto.

I'm guessing the answer is "Trance users", but tell me for sure.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Depends on what relics you have for them. But in general - trances & dual casts make the best dives.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Everyone listed has at least a BSB or above. I'm basically just levelling people I get decent pulls for. I don't have the stam or the lodestones to level people otherwise.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I don't think you can regret diving Cloud, and Ysh'tola would give you a dual cast healer which is great to have especially early on. Raines and Alpinaud are also quite versatile and good with just their bsb's. For the others you'd probably want usb or better before you invest.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i wouldn't legend dive someone you don't have a solid USB or better for unless you have a very specific goal in mind

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Andante posted:

Edge (FF4)
Kelger (FF5)
Shadow (FF6)
Yuffie (FF7)
Fujin (FF8)
Kiros (FF8)
Lion (FF11)
Thancred (FF14)

Edge (FF4)
Shadow (FF6)
Yuffie (FF7)

If it's worth it to dive a ninja without any relics, is there one of those three that the thread would recommend? If so, why?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

tl;dr: Yes Shadow/Edge/Yuffie in particular are dive worth for Ninja tech without owning any relics. Someone else may want to come in with some hard numbers on who of those three is the best option though.

Of the three, Shadow is the best without relics; his dive is all +ninja damage, so it's omni-elemental, while Edge is all +water and Yuffie is split between +ninja and +water. And yes, one of these three characters is probably worth diving even without relics -- they're among the top DPS characters for 5 star abilities even without their relics, competing against characters who have USBs.

Prav posted:

if you dive a ninja you are 100% guaranteed to pull a relic for some different ninja soon after

This is likely true, however. Murphy is always watching.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gently caress Murphy, dive all 3 of them

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Then you’ll never draw relics for any of them and get Steiner USB instead

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

First 4* star down. :black101: Was a close call, had Ingus chain go off just after he hammered the rest of the party, luckily he still had a stack of last stand left to finish the fight.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Then you’ll never draw relics for any of them and get Steiner USB instead
but you'll have 3 dived doublecast ninjas

- signed, person with relics for all 3

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Andante posted:

Edge (FF4)
Kelger (FF5)
Shadow (FF6)
Yuffie (FF7)
Fujin (FF8)
Kiros (FF8)
Lion (FF11)
Thancred (FF14)

Edge (FF4)
Shadow (FF6)
Yuffie (FF7)

BUFF

THAT

YUFF

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have edge fully dived with his USB and BSB but also i have yuffie glint and i have shadow LMR that gives him en-dark and i am genuinely considering diving them both. yuffie is probably overkill with my edge relics and already dove but double cast ninja is so good that i am willing to bet en-dark is good enough to dive shadow over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I have a fully dived edge (usb bsb lmr) and yuffie (usb lmr), and I feel like shadow should be next (USB and lmr).

I love ninja tech.