Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
##vote Home Ec 3rd Period

I want you to know that I thought incredibly hard about this one (you can see my confessionals later), and it is a bummer that I don't think either of you two are scum when all's said and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
##vote Marinade2Win

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I will #transfer my Fresh Bread to Podima.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

... and #transfer my tomato to Wiener.

I hope you've all learned something with Home Ec today: if you've got supplies and tricks up your sleeve, use them before it's too late! :v: Sorry I couldn't avenge you, FL.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
That's deadline!

Close voting round but with three votes on Marinade and three votes on Home Ec.

In cases of ties the chef with the lower Mastery gets Chopped.

Home Ec 3rd Period - Team Chef Omega - Town Chef - Has Left Kitchen Stadium.

We will attempt to put the next round up tonight so that we can return to the regularly scheduled program. So, stay tuned.

KhediveRex fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 2, 2018

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

The Lord of Hats posted:

"Mari, I must admit that I am DUBIOUS of your ETYMOLOGY KNOWLEDGE, With THAT being SAID, however, I must, unfortunately, ##VOTE HOME EC. Home Ec, I want you to KNOW: you would NOT be my FIRST PICK for VOTING." Eat gives a pointed look at the space that Spicer had occupied only moments beforehand. "But with the way things are... I have NO OTHER CHOICE. The fact is, of the two of you, Mari had the SUPERIOR DISH. I hope I get to WORK WITH YOU in the FUTURE.

Thank you so much for your vote! :glomp:

...what is “etymology”? I’ve never heard that word before

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Home Ec 3rd Period is dismissed from Kitchen Stadium in a cloud of golden light. The spectral orchestra of last round dissipates in a blue mist that shimmers in the dim light of Kitchen Stadium. The Hosts smile and bow to their fellow ghosts before turning to one another, trading a genuine smile. In perfect unison they take to the air, once again returning to their place in front of the Judges Table.

"Chefs, You Have Done Us Both A Great Honor. We Cannot Fully Express Our Gratitude. You Have Done Yourselves A Great Honor As Well. You Have Survived To The Second Half Of The Tournament. Congratulations Chefs, We Have Narrowed The Contestants To Only The Strongest. You Remain."

"And You Will Be Rewarded."

The pair stands ominously for a moment, in perfect silence. There is something electric growing in the air behind them, from the judges table.

"This Round Will Be Somewhat Special. It May Change You. We Hope It Will Change You For The Better. However, Before We Explain, Allow Us To Introduce The Challenge."

"A Great Chef Must Be Able To Adapt To The Times, Even When Those Adaptations Are Difficult. We Live In A World Of Rapidly Changing Culinary Expectations. We Live In A World ... With A Lot Of Vegetarians."

Wolfgang Puck and Mario Batali both scoff from the Judges Table. Guy Fieri practically fumes.

"Chefs, For This Round Of The Tournament, We Ask You To Prepare A Vegetarian Meal, Just As Delicious And Filling As A Traditional Main Course Would Be. You Will Have Access To The Grocery Between Worlds And 25 Gold To Spend. However, You Will Not Be Able To Purchase Or Cook With Any Meat. Good Luck Chefs."

The Spectors take flight as something bursts from the ground beneath them. A great circle of lights of many colors spins and swirls, strange occult symbols take life as you watch, a net of living arcane imagery that dances before your very eyes. From the center of it you see a silhouette emerge. It is black, blacker than night. It limps like a very very aged man, and yet is light. Light enough to leave no footfalls, no sound at all actually. Until such time as it speaks.

"Contestants. Chefs. Friends. Acolytes. WELCOME! ... I am. The First Spector. Keeper. Of the Circle."

The Judges seem to ready themselves, many rolling up their sleeves. A tension builds electric.

"You. Progress. Honorably. Now is the time. The time. Of. Blessing. Come Chefs. Come. You will. Select. Your Patrons. And I. Will. Bind You. Together."

"Your Magics. As One."

The spectral hosts land on either side of the Circle, straightening their ties. [b]"As Is Tradition, You Will All Select A Patron From The Council. Your Patron Will Reward You With Great Power, New Power, Strange Power. Each Of The Councilors May Only Bless One Chef. If You Accept A Councilors Blessing ... You Will Not Be Able To Challenge Them For Their Seat On The Council. To Do So Would Be Disrespectful. And Unwise."

"So... Choose Carefully Chefs. On This Round You Compete Not Only To Stay, But For The Favor Of Your Chosen Councilor. They Will Be Watching. Carefully."

_*_*_*_*_*_

tldr (I realize I didn't get all the details into this flavor post but, there's a lot to explain.)

Judges: Cat Cora. Mario Batali. Martha Stewart.

Interference: Masaharu Morimoto and Rachel Ray.

The Challenge is to cook a Vegetarian Meal. You have access to the Grocery and 25 gold, but cannot buy meat or cook with meat.

Additionally, please select three judges from the Council in your post. You will receive the Blessing of one of them, and become their champion. The blessings are different for every Judge, and we won't tell you what to expect from their individual Blessings.

List your three judges in the order of preference. If there are two or more chefs who want the Blessing of the same judge, who ever scores highest this round will get their first preference. If you first preference has been selected by a higher scoring Chef, you will get your second preference. Or your third.

Everyone will receive a blessing. Whoever's Blessing you receive, you won't be able to challenge that Councilor in the final round of this tournament.

Remember when we said in the OP that if you survived long enough you might develop incredible powers? Or bat wings? We're at that moment now.

Deadline is Friday at 11:00 PM Mountain Time. Roughly 72 hours.

Good luck Chefs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Liquid nods, considering the judges carefully before setting to work. "I always find that the most difficult vegetarian dishes to find are good savory, hearty ones. Indian cuisine is a good go-to for these, but I think we'll stick to my roots and go with something French once more."

A quick trip to the Grocery later and a selection of produce covers the counter, freshly washed and ready to be cooked. "This is dish perfect for cool autumn evenings, and only a slight twist on the traditional recipe. Normally, one would find ham or duck in a cassoulet, but here we'll be getting the flavor from root vegetables alone."

Some small amount of knifework later, bite sized pieces of carrot, celery, and leeks are being tossed in olive oil in a large dutch oven with several cloves of crushed garlic. Several sprigs of fresh thyme and parsley are added, as well as a bay leaf and a hearty pinch of ground cloves. The mixture is left to saute softly until the carrots begin to caramelize, then a pound of pre-soaked white kidney beans and a quart of good vegetable stock are added. As the mixture is left to simmer, Liquid fires up the oven to 350 and selects a few deep ramikins before turning to the bread crumbs.

"The home method for this dish generally relies on just topping it with dried breadcrumb and hoping for the best, but I find that a bit of prep makes for a much better texture and flavor."

Several cups of fresh breadcrumbs are tossed with a couple tablespoons of olive oil, a tablespoon of finely minced garlic before being spread on a parchment-covered baking pan and popped into the oven to toast. Once they are crisp and golden, they come out of the oven and are let cool while the beans finish cooking. Once cool, a good handful of finely chopped parsley is tossed in with them for color.

"Now all that remains is a bit of assembly, and this dish is almost ready to plate."

The herb sprigs and bay leaf are fished out of the beans, and a quick round with a potato masher breaks up a few of the tender beans, their starch serving to thicken the whole pot quite well. The thickened mixture is spooned into the ramikins and topped with the garlic breadcrumbs to make an attractive dish. These go into the oven for a short while to finish setting the thickness of the filling. Just before serving, it goes briefly under the salamander to put a final toast on the crisp layer of breadcrumbs, then is delivered to the judges piping hot.

"Humble, but hearty, and not just vegetarian but vegan so long as the bread is chosen well."

code:
Dish Stats:
Beans - Star Ingredient - Boiled
Herbs - From Staples - Boiled
Leek - Bake
Carrot - Bake
Celery - Bake
Garlic - Bake
Panko - Salamander!

Accounting: 
From the Grocery:
Kidney beans (cannellini beans) - 4 
Leek - 4
Carrot - 4
Celery - 4
Garlic - 4
Panko - 8

28g spent, 4g was in the bank, [b]1g [/b] remains.

In The Pantry:
Okra 
Pumpkin
Bell Pepper
Onion
Celery
Hot Pepper (per Jalapeno)
Council Preferences:

1 - Alton Brown
2 - Wolfgang Puck
3 - Masaharu Morimoto

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Mari enters the kitchen, looking slightly shaken after seeing the results of yesterday's vote. She closes her eyes for a few seconds, and when she opens them, they are extremely bloodshot. Mari smiles, looking visibly relaxed.

Hello again, everyone! I'm extremely thankful to still be here, and hope that no one thinks there are any hard feelings aimed at anyone who voted for me to leave yesterday.

Oooh, vegetarian dishes, hmmm. :palmon:

Ooh, I know! This is a dish that I created once at a friend's Pot/Luck (:350::rolldice:) Party, where everyone brought individual side dishes. For some reason, I felt inclined to make one big sandwich out of it all, and it ended up being a huge hit - I'm going to make it for you all today.

Before I do, though..

Marinade walks over to the time manipulation chamber and fiddles with a few settings. She then skips to the store and purchases the following:

code:
This challenge
---
Sandwich Loaf: 4
Ziti: (from storage)
Goat Cheese: 6  (Star Ingredient)
Tomatoes: 4
Garlic: 4
Asparagus: 6

Leftover coins:  1

In storage:
---
Whole Rabbit
She then prepares her dish:

1. She creates her typical fire, hanging a pan with water over it. Once the water starts to boil, she adds the ziti to the pan, allowing it to cook.

2. She takes her garlic and tomatoes and dices them into fine bits, tossing them into a bowl, setting a little bit of each aside for future steps. She adds basil, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper [staples] and tosses the contents of the bowl until they're finely mixed. [bruschetta]

3. She removes the ziti from the flame and drains the water, dumping the pasta into another bowl. She sprinkles the goat cheese into the ziti and adds in olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper [staples], as well as a few spoonfuls of the bruschetta mixture. She mixes it all up together in a pan and holds it high over the flame, tossing the ingredients to distribute the flavors. She then puts it back into the bowl to allow it to cool. [goat cheese macaroni salad]

4. She takes some olive oil, garlic, and rosemary and mixes it up into a small bowl. She takes a paintbrush and heartily coats the bread with the garlic mixture. She places the bread into the fire to toast it, keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't burn. Once it's properly toasted, she removes it from the fire. [garlic bread]

5. She adds the rest of the oil mixture to a pan and adds the asparagus to it, heating it over the fire. She pours a healthy amount of salt and pepper over the asparagus, finishing it off with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese [staple]. She hangs the pan over the fire, keeping an eye on everything to make sure nothing burns.

6. She plates them, stacking her ingredients from bottom to top:

- garlic bread (step #5)
- bruschetta mixture (step #2)
- macaroni salad with goat cheese (step #3)
- aspargus (step #4)
- garlic bread

This sandwich is deceptively filling and packed with flavor. It's like taking all of the best parts of a summer cookout and combining them into one awesome thing that doesn't require utensils or other side dishes. The goat cheese is the main thing that gives it kick of unique flavor that mixes with both the macaroni salad and the asparagus, which is why I chose to feature it.

I hope you all like it! :peanut:

Pot/Luck Sandwich
- bread (open flame) [garlic bread]
- ziti (pan fried) [mac salad]
- goat cheese (pan fried) [mac salad]
- tomato (raw) [bruschetta]
- support (guy fieri) [first and foremost]
- asparagus (pan fried)
- garlic (pan fried) [asparagus]
- olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, herbs (staples)

That said..

Mari looks down, blushing.

I feel like the last round put a little bit of fear in me, and I feel like it would be a shame for me to go out having not done everything I can to stay. I am going to Summon Robert Irvine.

Also, for judging preferences, I like:

1. Wolfgang Puck
2. Bobby Flay
3. Cat Cora

Murmur Twin fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 6, 2018

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
"Whenever I tell people about the MANY MERITS of STRONG CUISINE, I am FREQUENTLY ASKED what I think of vegetarians. You see, it is a COMMON MISCONCEPTION that just because I have the PROPER RESPECT for the POWER OF MEAT, that I must clearly look DOWN on them! This could not be FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH! In FACT, if you look at my PREVIOUS DISHES, you will see that FULLY HALF of them CONTAIN NO MEAT! Now, two of those were DESSERTS, I will ADMIT, but the POINT STANDS: Vegetarian dishes can be JUST AS STRONG as meat dishes, although it DOES take some CREATIVITY to FULLY REALIZE THAT POTENTIAL!

Today, I will be working with PUMPKIN! It is not only DELICIOUS, but it is also SEASONALLY APPROPRIATE! I should NOTE, however, that the pumpkins you would use for a jack-o-lantern DON'T MAKE QUITE AS GOOD A MEAL as ones that have been grown with CONSUMPTION in mind. Pumpkins for cooking tend to be SIGNIFICANTLY SMALLER, with a LESS STRINGY TEXTURE and SUPERIOR FLAVOR DENSITY. First, we will SLICE the pumpkin..." At this, Eat lifted the pumpkin in his two mighty hands, and simply snapped it into two equal halves, "Then, we GUT it, and finally REDUCE IT TO A FINE PUREE." This, too, was done barehanded.

"NOW, we'll add VEGETABLE STOCK and CREAM to reach the proper VOLUME and CONSISTENCY, and also diced GARLIC and ONION, to help ACCENTUATE the pumpkin's flavor. We'll let this SIMMER for a while, and then PUREE IT AGAIN. When you're serving a SQUASH-BASED SOUP--and pumpkin IS a type of squash--it is absolutely CRITICAL that you get that SMOOTH, CREAMY TEXTURE. Once we've pureed it a second time, we'll let it SIMMER TO COMPLETION."

"Now, this is a very WARM and somewhat SWEET dish--for a proper MEAL, we need CONTRAST. To add a little BITE, I'll be serving a SIMPLE side salad of BITTER GREENS, tossed with a MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE. This will help the meal keep from feeling TOO HEAVY, and the contrast will make the RICH FLAVORS of the soup MORE READILY APPARENT. THANK YOU, JUDGES! I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS!"

As Eat presented his dish and stepped away, he stopped and moved over to Rachel Ray, handing his Dark Chocolate over to her. "A SMALL GIFT! I hope it is TO YOUR LIKING!"

code:
Pumpkin Soup with Salad of Bitter Greens

25 Gold Obtained! Total Gold: 56

Shopping:
Pumpkin - Pantry
Onion - 4
Garlic - 4
Kale - 6
Dark Chocolate - 8

Cooking - 
Pumpkin - Stew
Onion - Stew
Garlic - Stew

Kale - Raw
Mustard Vinaigrette--Kitchen Staples
Dark Chocolate - Give to Rachel Ray

Pantry -
Milk Chocolate
34 Gold
Council Preferences:
1) Cat Cora
2) Martha Stewart
3) Wolfgang Puck

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Purchased (9G used from storage)
Paneer (6G)
Kale (6G)
Habanero Pepper (6G)
Onion (4G)
Garlic (4G)
Tomato (4G)
Shallot (4G)

Stocked
Shallot

Pulled from Stock
Potato

Boyardima performs his usual cooler swap-out, and then takes up position at the cooking station. Mopping his brow, he flashes a smile towards the judges as he starts prepping.

I'll be honest with you, my exposure to different food types was pretty stunted for a good long while. I grew up out West - in Southern California to be specific - and mostly ate the regional food typical to that area. Mexican, Asian (lots of sushi), and the usual mishmash otherwise. You get the idea! But it wasn't till I moved out to the East coast that I really grew to love a different style of food - one unlike anything I'd ever tasted before.

Boyardima tosses some Kale on the cutting board, followed by Onion, Potato, Habanero, and Tomato - dicing them all up in turn, to varying degrees of fineness. His Garlic simply has the tip of the heads chopped off, ready for its future. The Paneer is cubed and put back in the fridge for later.

As you may have realized, it's Indian food I'm talking about. Not much else would use paneer, right? I have to admit, at first I was skeptical... of just about everything to do with it! But the flavors won me over, in a big way.

First and foremost, the garlic went in a smoker to steep - so to speak. While it seethed away, Boyardima moved on to the rest of the recipe. Tossing the kale in a pot to simmer, Boyardima added his other ingredients - paneer and onion, seared in a hot pan! The resulting dish - enhanced by some smoked garlic - simmered for a good long time. letting the flavors spread throughout. Meanwhile, in another pot, the potatoes and more of the onions were married with some roasted pepper and tomato - their charred flavors enhancing the resultant curry.

Much like my first inspiring work-team lunch at an Indian restaurant, I hope this dish opens new horizons for you. Please enjoy!

Half-and-Half Indian Lunch
Creamy Saag Paneer
Kale - Stew
Paneer - Pan Fry
Onion - Pan Fry (shared with other sub-dish)
Garlic - Smoke
Spicy Potato Curry
Potato - Bake
Onion - Pan Fry (shared with other sub-dish)
Habanero Pepper - Bake - *Star Ingredient*
Tomato - Bake

Judge Blessing Preferences
1. Bobby Flay
2. Alton Brown
3. Wolfgang Puck

Podima fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 12, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Bitter Melon with Black Bean Confit over Rice

Rice - steamed 4

Bitter melon - x - star - stir fry
Garlic - 4 - stir fry
Tomato - 4 - stir fry
Red Onions - 4 - stir fry
Bean Sprouts - × - stirfry
Lemon juice - x - stir fry
Egg - 4 - stirfry

Black Beans - x - boil
Garlic - 4 - boil
Ginger - x - boil

Confit

In saucepot, combine beans, canola oil, garlic, and ginger. Bring to boil, simmer for 30, and allow to sit for an hour. Set aside.

Bitter Melon

Slice melon, coat with salt and set aside to drain out the bitterness. Wash to remove salt. Add canola oil to saucepan, saute garlic. Add onions, saute. Add melon and tomatos, saute.

Add lemon juice, then mix in reserved confit. Crack eggs, toss until mixture is properly coated. Plate with side of rice, serve, enjoy.

Judge Prefs
Alton Brown
Morimoto
Mario Batali

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

As the crowd waits in anticipation for Weener Batter to finish their dish, the doors open to reveal a new face entering Kitchen Stadium. It wasn’t a new Chef, but Bobby Flay! The judges were worried that he was going to be competing again, but instead he went right at The Essence’s table.

As it turned out, there was a planned show with those two. Not for the competition; this was more in spirit of fun and camraderie; two respected masters coming together. Mario Batali got involved in this, he thought there couldn’t be enough time to fit in a full show with so little time remained. But The Essence just pointed out that there was still over 2 hours away from the challenge and that it would be over in less than one. The Essence even got every other competitor involved for a cameo… well, everyone except for Weener Batter, but the cameraman remembered to pan over to him, feverishly at work.

Both Bobby Flay and the Essence had a marvelous “South of the Border” Cioppino, a fine spinach salad with a cranberry vinaigrette, and a brief venture in pralines. While that was going on, a bet was made between everyone involved. They’d all make wet caramel, but the one who had the clumpiest had to do the dishes. Mario had lost that bet by a wide margin, but Bobby was willing to take his place as judge while he cleaned up. It was gonna take a while.

With a fond farewell and a number from Doc Gibbs, the show had ended and everyone returned to their tables, with a fine meal in hand.

tldr; The Essence switched out Mario Batali for Bobby Flay. Also everyone got an internet meal. :)

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010
A strange hush falls over the arena as a menacing shadow stalks across the walls. With gasps of dismay, the Judges, contestants and Specters shrink away in horror!

A Last minute entrance! Another costume change! Can He be any more of a Drama Queen?!? Yes, Weiner is definitely channeling his favorite movie…and the dish to match!

Weiner starts by slicing eggplant, tomatoes, and zucchini into rounds, then sets them aside.

He then heats olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. He sautés onion, garlic, and bell peppers until soft.. He seasons with salt and pepper, then adds crushed tomatoes, stirring until the ingredients are fully incorporated. He adds basil. Stirring once more, he then smooths the surface of the sauce with a spatula.

Now the art!!!!! Weiner arranges the sliced veggies in alternating patterns, on top of the sauce from the outer edge to the middle of the pan. He seasons with salt and pepper, then covers the pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes. He lets it cook uncovered, for another 20 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. He adds herb seasoning over the cooked ratatouille and presents his dish to the judges.

With a rather inappropriate chittering noise and a twitch of his whiskers he proclaims,
“Judges I give you Ratatouille! Hearty vegetarian fare with bountiful flavor!”

Eggplant –Star Ingredient 6 bake
Zucchini 4 bake
Tomato 4 bake

Onion 4 saute
Bell Pepper 4 saute
Garlic 4 saute

Buy Tomato 4

Tomato to Rachel Ray

Judge choices
Guy Fieri
Rachel Ray
Martha Stewart

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

That's deadline everyone!

Critiques in 24 hours.

Final dish scores 24 hours after that.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Chef Boyardima

Cat Cora posted:

Looks like a lot of your pepper flavor got watered down somewhere, but the heat is still there.

Bobby Flay posted:

You got the parts of a great meal in place, and we can taste them. The paneer’s salty flavor, the kale brought subtle bitter flavor. But there could be more salty tastes to really elevate the dish. And it’s the garlic that’s letting you down. Smoking the garlic got some of the flavor lost and it didn’t really do a lot.

Martha Stewart posted:

I think the garlic needed to be sautee, or perhaps adding some galangal root.

EAT PUNCHBEEF

Martha Stewart posted:

It’s hard to believe someone as strong as you can make something as fresh and savory with what you were given, especially with the pumpkin. Really brought all that flavor out.

Cat Cora posted:

Same here. But the kale was what really carried your dish.

Bobby Flay posted:

You got fresh and savory on lockdown, but every other flavor you got tasted a little muted. I’m looking at this and I gotta ask, is this is the dish of a winning chef. Not for this challenge, but for the entire competition.

Liquid Carmelization

Martha Stewart posted:

These beans aren’t cooked all the way.

Bobby Flay posted:

Same with mine, it’s getting hard to chew this. It’s a shame since you had the carrots and salamandered panko.

Cat Cora posted:

All I’m getting is herby flavors. I like herby flavors, but herbs alone do not make a great dish.

Marinade2Win

Cat Cora posted:

I like the herby taste you put into this, but I find it to be one-note.

Martha Stewart posted:

The smartest thing you did for this dish is plate the garlic bread; that brought everything together.

Bobby Flay posted:

Also love the mac salad. Pan frying those noodles really did a wonder.

Spicer 425*

Bobby Flay posted:

So… you burned your melon… Its juice got all over the other ingredients you stirfried.

Martha Stewart posted:

What went right for you was your rice. The lemon juice was inspired to bring out the flavor of the rice, but those things together do not make a dish.

Cat Cora posted:

Your biggest problem with your dish is that you picked ingredients that had delicate herby flavors and stir-fried them. That doesn’t highlight those flavors in your dish. And like Bobby said, your melon made everything taste bitter and acerbic.

Weener Batter

Bobby Flay posted:

On one hand I gotta give you props for meshing sweet flavor with the herbs in this dish. On the other hand, your choices in councilors have me worried.

Cat Cora posted:

I love the sweet herby flavors you got going on. It’s you know your way around the kitchen.

Martha Stewart posted:

From your choice of cooking methods to your ingredients you really shown us what you can do.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
The path ahead seems clear, and barring a magnificent surprise I shall be the first to vote for myself. Godspeed, fellow townchefs, overcome that last miscreant and the future may yet be saved.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:patriot:

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Final Dish Scores :

Marinade2Win - 190 (145 pre summon)
Boyardima - 141
Weener Batter - 135
Eat Punchbeef - 122
Liquid Carmelization - 101
Spicer - 88

Councilor Blessing are as follows :

Marinade2Win - Guy Fieri

Murmur Twin posted:

Pot/Luck Sandwich
- bread (open flame) [garlic bread]
- ziti (pan fried) [mac salad]
- goat cheese (pan fried) [mac salad]
- tomato (raw) [bruschetta]
- support (guy fieri) [first and foremost]
- asparagus (pan fried)
- garlic (pan fried) [asparagus]
- olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, herbs

Boyardima - Bobby Flay

Weener Batter - Rachel Ray

Eat Punchbeef - Cat Cora

Liquid Carmelization - Alton Brown

Spicer - Morimoto

Marinade2Win has won the round and may choose between Mastery or immunity for the next round.

Spicer, Liquid Carmelization and Eat Punchbeef are in the bottom three. Eat Punchbeef has immunity. Weener Batter replaces them on the Chopping Block.

This round you will vote between:

Weener Batter
Liquid Carmelization
Spicer

The results of your blessing will be revealed to you after the voting round.

You will have 24 hours to place votes. Deadline will be 10:00 o'clock PM Mountain Time on Monday.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
##vote weener

End the scum threat once and for all

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 8, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Jk looks like theres one final scum after this but itll be a good start

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
##vote weener batter

get out scum

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
As the results were announced, disappointment crossed Eat's face. He'd hoped for better, particularly after the feedback he'd received, but it was inconsequential in the end. He had immunity, after all.

But when the judges announced their champions, his expression became one of pure rage. He gripped the granite surface of the countertop with such a force that his fingers left imprints.

"I TRUSTED you, Mari! And BECAUSE of that trust, a GOOD CHEF was ELIMINATED. And you REPAY that trust by spreading CORRUPTION!" Eat takes a few deep breaths, and when he resumes speaking he is more composed, though clearly no less angry. "No longer. I will put an end to the weakness you choose to represent. My debts are repaid, and you have no goodwill remaining. I would vote you in a heartbeat were that allowed. Since it is not, your compatriot will fall instead."

##vote Weener

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

"I have not voted in this competition to date, leaving it in the hands of the judges and my fellow cooks, but I have a responsibility to the sacred culinary calling to do so now." Liquid sighs. "Weener, I hope you come to your senses some day, as you have the skills to be a true cook if you can find the heart for it."

##vote Weener

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

The Lord of Hats posted:

But when the judges announced their champions, his expression became one of pure rage. He gripped the granite surface of the countertop with such a force that his fingers left imprints.

"I TRUSTED you, Mari! And BECAUSE of that trust, a GOOD CHEF was ELIMINATED. And you REPAY that trust by spreading CORRUPTION!" Eat takes a few deep breaths, and when he resumes speaking he is more composed, though clearly no less angry. "No longer. I will put an end to the weakness you choose to represent. My debts are repaid, and you have no goodwill remaining. I would vote you in a heartbeat were that allowed. Since it is not, your compatriot will fall instead."

Mari looks crestfallen, like she knew this was coming but had been clinging to the hope that things wouldn’t be this way.

I understand. I’m so sorry for all of this :sadpeanut:

I will choose immunity for the next round.

Murmur Twin fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 13, 2018

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010
I vote Liquid Carmelization,the biggest threat based on stockpile

I bequeath my 6 gold, noodles, and tomato to Marinade to Win for a vote for LC as well

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I will ##vote LC to fulfill my end of the bargain.

I'm so sorry.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm so sorry.

You know, you can only offer empty apologies so many times before they cease to have any meaning left. It's like boiling away the last drips of water in a saucepan - all you're left with is that nasty scorched smell that takes days to get out of your kitchen.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Weener Beater posted:

I vote Liquid Carmelization,the biggest threat based on stockpile

I bequeath my 6 gold, noodles, and tomato to Marinade to Win for a vote for LC as well

Also for Marinade's bookkeeping, you don't actually have a tomato to give - Rachel Ray keeps what you give her.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Podima posted:

You know, you can only offer empty apologies so many times before they cease to have any meaning left. It's like boiling away the last drips of water in a saucepan - all you're left with is that nasty scorched smell that takes days to get out of your kitchen.

Mari hangs her head and turns to leave. A small grey cloud forms over her head, drizzling rain on her as she walks away from the others.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Podima posted:

_______/

(posted with permission :v:)

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

That's deadline!

With 2 votes on LC and 4 votes on Weener, Weener Batter has been Chopped.

Weener Batter - The Gastronomer - Scum Chef - is eliminated from the game.

His transfer of ingredients and gold stands. Regarding discussion in discord, Weener is not able to transfer a use of his power now that he has been eliminated.

Councilor blessings will appear in your confessionals tonight.

The next round will begin tomorrow in roughly 24 hours.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Everyone's Blessing has been delivered.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

You are all in turn bestowed your blessing. One by one the Councilors step down from the judges table to join their Champion. One by one you are all imbued with powers the likes of which you have never felt before. Kind words and warm glances are exchanged. Some of you leave the circle physically changed - but even those without startling transformations feel wholly new, vibrantly alive. You are all stronger now then you ever suspected possible. And yet, it is merely a taste of the strength will acquire when you take your rightful place on the Council.

"You Have Be Given A Taste Of What Lies In Store." The spectors intoned in unison. "Only A Taste. Use Your New Found Powers Wisely Chefs. For Only One Of You Will Reach The Final Round, The Highest Plains Of Culinary Mastery. And The Time Is Rapidly Approaching"

The spectors twirl through the air and land again in the center of Kitchen Stadium, straightening their ties as you have come to expect. "Only Three Round Remain Until A Challenge Must Be Issued. You Will Have Three Rounds To Prove Your Worth."

"In This, The First, We Invite You To Reflect Upon The Councilor Who Has Bestowed You With Their Blessing. It Was Not A Ritual Entered Lightly. All The Councilors Have Preformed A Great Honor Upon You. It Is Now Your Turn To Honor Them."

"Please Cook A Dish In The Signature Style Of The Councilor Who Blessed You. You Are Their Champion And Will Carry Their Flame. Make Them Proud of Their Champion."

Mario Batali scratches his beard awkwardly and looks over to Martha Stewart. His throw his glance over to the floor of kitchen stadium and then again to Martha, who shrugs. "I suppose ..." she says demurely. The two stand and March toward the kitchen floor. Mario offer a hooked arm gentlemanly, Martha grimaces and takes a step further away.

"The Grocery Between World's Is Open. But Its Power Quickly Fades. All Chefs Are Given 50 Gold. And The Advice To Be Not Sparing With The Void."

"And Now Noble Chefs. To Your Craft. To Your Artes. We Salute Your Cuisine and Say With The Greatest Admiration...

"LET THE ROUND BEGIN!"

_*_*_*_*_

tldr -

Challenge - Cook a dish in the signature style of the Councilor who gave you their blessing.

Grocery is open and you have 50 gold.

Interference -

Mario Batali is inspecting ingredient.

Martha Stewart is accepting ingredients.

Judges - Morimoto, Rachel Ray and Wolfgang Puck.

Good luck Chefs!

Deadline in roughly 72 hours. Eleven o'clock PM Mountain Time on Saturday.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Mari enters the arena, looking noticeably disheveled - her cloak is bunched up and wrinkled and her possum hat half-falling off her head. Her eyes are still bloodshot, but it's not the mellow and relaxed type of bloodshot - it's the look of someone who hasn't gotten any sleep because she's been up all night crying. She puts a pair of sunglasses on so as not to raise questions, and then subtly glances over at the other chefs. To her dismay, they all refuse to even look at her.

Hello, judges - it's time to come with me on a journey to Flavortown! :sadpeanut:

She pauses, unsure of what to say or to do next. She closes her eyes, obviously trying to relax - but she's unable to stop the tears from coming back out. She stands crying for several minutes, trying to regain her composure.

I can't do this anymore. May I please have everyone's attention?

She takes a deep breath, obviously extremely nervous about what she is about to say. She pulls a piece of paper out of her purse, reads over it quickly

I would like to formally announce my intent to drop out of the competition.

You all have no idea how much I regret the choices that I've made to get to this point. I swear, I just came here to make friends - I didn't know what a "scum" is until weeks into the competition! :eng99: Everything that you got to know about me was genuine, and I hope that I can restore your faith in me as a person, as a friend, and (She looks at Boyardima.) as someone who believes in fairies.

You all need to understand who Guy Fieri is. He represents a far greater threat than simply ruining cheese! He's known amongst the fairies as... the...

Mari trails off, seemingly going catatonic. Several seconds pass. She then puts her hand to her chest, obviously in pain. She struggles to stay standing upright, but doesn't last long as she drops to a kneeling position. Her breathing becomes labored.

Please... stop him...

Mari falls unconscious, her hat and sunglasses spilling off her face as she collapses in a heap. As she falls, the piece of paper in her hand falls to the floor.

quote:

YOU WILL SUPPORT GUY FIERI, OR FAIRYFIELD WILL BE DESTROYED. TELL NO ONE OF THIS LETTER OR YOUR FAMILY WILL SUFFER.

CHOOSE CAREFULLY. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Several more seconds pass before Mari stands up again, dusting herself off.

She looks noticeably different without her hat and glasses. Specifically, she now has devil horns growing out of her forehead, and her pupils now match the redness of her bloodshot eyes. As she talks, the other chefs can see that her tongue is now forked. She removes her large cloak to reveal that her normally butterfly-like wings now resemble those of a bat. Finally, she snaps her fingers, and a pitchfork (that looks a lot like a regular fork) appears in her hand.

She cackles maniacally before addressing the other chefs.

:devil:: I thought she'd never shut up.
:devil:: Obviously, I'm not going to quit this competition. I'm going to win this competition. I'd like to thank you all for destroying Mari's will enough for me to take control of her body/soul. I figured we could just continue blackmailing her, but this will work too. You all can call me Scari.

She looks directly at Eat.

:devil:: Hah, she was going to give you her immunity before she left. :allears: Can you believe that poo poo? Looks like I got here right in the nick of time.
:devil:: You're right, she was a weakling who didn't deserve to be here. Thankfully, no one will ever hear from her again.

She points her palms to the sky. Two small jets of fire shoot out of them.

:devil:: Are you all ready to go to Flavortown?!?

Scari goes to the grocery store and purchases the following:

code:
(1G from stash, +6G coins from WB, +50G for challenge = 57G total)
---

(for this challenge)
Prime Rib - 20
Creme Fraiche - 8
Potatoes - 4
Kale - 6
Blue Cheese - 6
Blueberries - 4
- 48 total

(for later)
---
Tomato - 4
Garlic - 4
- 8 total

(56 spent, 1 remaining in stock)

In stock
---
Whole Rabbit
Noodles
1. Scari fills a large pan with water. She holds her pitchfork up in one hand and snaps her fingers with the other - as she does so, it shrinks to a fraction of its original size. She then places it in the pan, handle-side down.

:devil:: 132 degrees.

She snaps her fingers again and the pitchfork turns a bright orange-y red.

2. She liberally sprinkles the prime rib with kosher salt. She snaps her fingers, and a plastic bag appears, tightly enclosing around the prime rib. She then points to the pan, causing the prime rib to float into the air and place itself into the pan.

3. While it cooks, she peels and dices her potatoes. She similarly seals them in an airtight bag.

4. She takes a rock and throws it at the time manipulation device. Sparks fly from it.

:devil:: 6 hours.

5. A large bowl floats to her workstation, filled with ground peppercorns, celery seeds, garlic powder, and rosemary [staples]. She then points to the bowl. The bag with the prime rib, now perfectly cooked, floats over to the bowl and settles itself down gently. Scari claps her hand another time, and the bag transforms itself into egg whites, coating the meat. Finally, she snaps her finger, causing the meat to roll around and coat itself in the spice mix.

6. She points to the pan. The bag with potatoes floats over to it.

:devil:: 194 degrees, 3 hours.

She throws another rock at the time manipulation device, once again causing sparks to fly from it.

7. The bag rips open, and the potatoes float into a small glass bowl. Scari adds the creme fraiche and some milk, salt, and pepper [staples] to it. She points to the potatoes, and her pitchfork floats out of the pan and hovers over the bowl. She snaps her finger, and the pitchfork starts mashing the potatoes.

8. She adds some blueberries to a jar along with small amounts of balsmic vinegar, olive oil, djion mustard, and honey [staples] to make a salad dressing. She adds the kale, blue cheese, dressing, and a handful of pecans [staple] to a large saucepan, snapping her finger again to make the pan heat up while the salad tosses itself. She makes sure the kale is toasted without getting burnt, and then finally adds the blueberries to it after saucepan cools.

9. She holds her palms towards the mashed potatoes and prime rib. Fire shoots from her hands for a few seconds, searing the outside of the meat and the top of the potatoes. She then adds some prime rib, mashed potatoes, and kale salad to plates for the judges.

:devil:: Is it true that this simpleton fairy was cooking with stuff like possum and pigeon? Come now, those foods are for peasants. Does she not have any aspirations in life?
:devil: It doesn't matter. Once I take my rightful spot on the council, I'll be able to ensure that our cause comes to fruition. Soon, we're going to force the human population to eat Cheeze Wiz and Spam and frozen TV dinners while we dine in luxury!
:devil:: Those in power deserve quality food, which is what I present to you today. With it I will secure immunity, and eliminate another one of these miserable "Town" chefs. :tfrxmas:

She cackles again, before realizing that maybe now isn't the right time to blow up the whole plan.

Devil's Food
---
Prime Rib (sous vide) - Star Ingredient
Potatoes (sous vide)
Creme Fraiche (open fire)
Kale (pan fry)
Blue Cheese (pan fry)
Blueberries (raw)

:devil:: Also, I'm going to present Martha with my noodles, garlic, and tomato.

Murmur Twin fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 13, 2018

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010

Murmur Twin posted:

:devil:: Is it true that this simpleton fairy was cooking with stuff like possum and pigeon? Come now, those foods are for peasants. Does she not have any aspirations in life?
:devil: It doesn't matter. Once I take my rightful spot on the council, I'll be able to ensure that our cause comes to fruition. Soon, we're going to force the human population to eat Cheeze Wiz and Spam and frozen TV dinners while we dine in luxury!
:devil:: Those in power deserve quality food, which is what I present to you today. With it I will secure immunity, and eliminate another one of these miserable "Town" chefs. :tfrxmas:

She cackles again, before realizing that maybe now isn't the right time to blow up the whole plan.

"Bravo!!! I only wish I had scienced my main ingredient. I will forever regret not using my full powers in the last round, to put Boyardima into the bottom 3, and force Liquid to hand over his ingredients or face elimination. Win Scari, and have these mewling Townies tearing each other to pieces!!"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

All Weener's taunt gets is a slight smirk. "You should know by now that a real cook doesn't negotiate with food terrorists."

"A dish in the style of the inimitable Alton Brown?" Liquid grins, almost skipping towards the Grocery. "Time to have a little fun."

The silvery cook returns shortly with an armful of ingredients, stopping briefly for a pleasant chat and handing over some Prawns and Sausage to Martha Stewart, and dusts its hands off. "There we go. I've been studying Alton's body of work, which is always a joy, so now for the materials, next the tools, and then.... the science."

"Now then, we need the base for a good dessert. I'm going to go with something that's a little less traditional than Mom's apple pie, but has a nice tart bite all its own. The classic strawberry-rhubarb pie." A food processor is grabbed from the tools shelf and moved to the working counter accordingly. "Now you could cut in fat by hand for this, but we're on a time crunch so I'm going to use a bit of modern ingenuity. Good shortcrust pastry is a simple creature, but like anything simple in the kitchen it has subtleties that aren't readily apparent."

Twelve ounces of all purpose flour goes into the processor, followed by a tablespoon of sugar, and a teaspoon of table salt. "The trick with pastry is to keep the fats cold until we're ready for the oven. So I'll be starting with six ounces of good unsalted butter and two of lard, both of which are cubed and in the cooler just now." The food processor whirs for a moment, mixing the dry goods well, then the butter goes in. The fats are added, with the mixture being pulsed after each addition until they are incorporated.

"There we go. Now we have a little bit of science to go to. The traditional method of hydrating this nice dough would be to add a bit of water at a time until it all comes together. However we'll be doing that a bit differently today. One of the enemies of good pie crust texture is too much water in the mix, so I've substituted half the five ounces of water we'd use here with a good bourbon." The liquid is added and the processor pulsed again, the dough coming together into a soft, crumbly, almost biscuit like texture. "Alcohol, you see, doesn't contribute to gluten formation. So we get a dough that is moist enough to be worked, but which remains flaky instead of leathery after baking."

The dough mixture is turned out onto the worktop, divided in half by weight, and shaped into discs by hand. "Now this needs to spend an hour in the cooler to solidify the fats before we work it any further. Once that's done, we'll roll it out, line a tart pan, and fill it with our next step." The food processor is replaced with a bowl, and Liquid smiles to the camera. "This part's quite a bit less exacting. Just ten and a half ounces of cane sugar, that's about a cup and a half, along with three cups of fresh chopped rhubarb and a further cup and a half of sliced strawberries. All that gets mixed in this bowl with a beaten egg and a couple tablespoons each of unsalted butter and all-purpose flour as thickeners. A bit of allspice, clove, and cinnamon as well, nice earthy flavors."

"Once that's mixed up and creamy, we'll fill the lined tart pan, lay a lattice crust atop that's then brushed with egg wash for nice browning, and bake at 350 degrees for an hour and fifteen minutes."

"So, we have a pie. Smells great, but it could be more perfect. We've got sweet, sour, and spice covered with it, but it needs a real richness to shine against." Glancing up to the judges, it chuckles. "This backfired before, but I think this time we'll just have to do it -better-."

Reaching below the counter, Liquid produces a dewar showing multiple caution labels and cracks the top for a moment, chuckling as frost briefly fogs across metallic skin. "Time for the science."

"First, the mixture. I think there's very little that goes as well with a good tart pie as classic vanilla ice cream. So we're going to start with a quart of heavy cream, a pint of milk, and the yolks of a dozen eggs. To that, we'll add the seeds from three medium vanilla beans, and about eight ounces of sugar. This all gets mixed well, vacuum sealed into a bag, and tossed in the immersion circulator to sous vide for an hour at 185 degrees, agitating it a couple times to make sure it doesn't clump and cooks evenly."

"Once that's done, it goes into the cooler to chill out. Right before serving, we make the magic happen." Pulling out a cooled vacuum pouch, Liquid fills the waiting stand mixer with cold ice cream base and attaches a paddle beater. "Now we need about three times the volume of the base in this lovely stuff right here. Liquid Nitrogen."

"Don't try this at home without proper safety gear, kids. Your skin's likely not made of metal, so this stuff would be -really bad- for your hands, and you're likely to freeze to the mixer bowl if you touch it wrong." Slowly, the silvery cook drizzles the smoking nitrogen into the running mixer, stopping every so often to hit the metal mixer bowl with a blowtorch and scrape the developing ice cream down to ensure even freezing.

"There we have it. The whole point of churning ice cream while freezing it is to prevent the formation of crunchy ice crystals. Using nitrogen like this makes it even creamier, as the fast agitation from the mixer keeps the ice crystals tiny, and the resulting product smooth and delicious."

"Now to plate this up. Side comes off the tart pan, leaving us a glowing golden-brown standing crust pie, which we slice with a serrated knife so as to keep intact. Add a generous scoop of rich vanilla ice cream, and viola."

Liquid wipes carefully at the edge of the plate, and turns it to face the camera with a cheeky smile.

"Now that's what I'd call Good Eats."

code:
[b]Accounting:[/b]
Strawberry - 4 - Baked
Rhubarb - 4 - Candied
Heavy Cream (per creme fraiche) - 8 - Ice Cream'd - [b]Star Ingredient[/b]
Egg - 4 - Sous Vide
Sugar (per sugar cane) - 6 - SCIENCE

To the Pantry:
Shrimp (per Prawns) - 10 - With Martha
Andouille Sausage (per Ground Pork) - 6 - With Martha
Rice - 4
Egg - 4

In The Pantry:
Okra 
Pumpkin
Bell Pepper
Onion
Celery
Hot Pepper (per Jalapeno)

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 13, 2018

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

“You should know by now that a real cook doesn't negotiate with food terrorists."

((Hahaha I burst out laughing at this))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Weener Beater posted:

"Bravo!!! I only wish I had scienced my main ingredient. I will forever regret not using my full powers in the last round, to put Boyardima into the bottom 3, and force Liquid to hand over his ingredients or face elimination. Win Scari, and have these mewling Townies tearing each other to pieces!!"

:ghost::respek::devil:

Murmur Twin fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 15, 2018