Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

This game was awesome and i could play like 5 more of essentially the same thing in different settings. A late 60s early 70s cold war style setting with this gameplay and graphics would be kick rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

are there multiple entries possible for Zungi Sathi's death? I kind of feel bad for entering shot by bosun's mate, because that means that at the end he'll be considered a murderer, when he was kind of aiming for the giant crab rampaging through the ship

e: spiked by a beast doesn't take.

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 14, 2019

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

double nine posted:

are there multiple entries possible for Zungi Sathi's death? I kind of feel bad for entering shot by bosun's mate, because that means that at the end he'll be considered a murderer, when he was kind of aiming for the giant crab rampaging through the ship

e: spiked by a beast doesn't take.

I don't think so. The game is very literal on that end. There are other, similar events such as the execution

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yeah I figured. A shame, since you need to enter their fate correctly in order to 'properly' finish the game/mystery. I also tried some alternatives for the captain, since before he kicks the bucket he gets both speared and knifed, but he also only has one correct cause of death (well, I suppose there's 2 answers - suicide or captain shot captain with gun but that's a distinction without a difference).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Managed to finish it through extrapolation with the Life at Sea sketch, but had to look up Where the survivors were, even though I knew Evans was alive. I must have just glazed over where he asked the journal to be sent. One thing, tho - passengers can be charged with dereliction of duty?!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

HORMELCHILI posted:

This game was awesome and i could play like 5 more of essentially the same thing in different settings. A late 60s early 70s cold war style setting with this gameplay and graphics would be kick rear end

:emptyquote:

For actual content, regarding identification: I'm pretty sure Omid Gul is only unblurred once you see that his scimitar is hanging by his bunk and have seen him holding it, meaning you need to actually go through both Chapter 2 and Chapter 6 to get him ID'd at the game's pace. Also, I identified Diom by the fact he spoke broken English and most of the other non-English speaking seamen by that point had already died violent or virulent deaths.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

KataraniSword posted:

:emptyquote:

For actual content, regarding identification: I'm pretty sure Omid Gul is only unblurred once you see that his scimitar is hanging by his bunk and have seen him holding it, meaning you need to actually go through both Chapter 2 and Chapter 6 to get him ID'd at the game's pace. Also, I identified Diom by the fact he spoke broken English and most of the other non-English speaking seamen by that point had already died violent or virulent deaths.

i don't recall diom ever speaking? the broken english in diom's death scene was one of the chinese topmen, translating between the captain and the formosan guard. diom was just a big fellow there to hold the formosan to be interrogated. i figured him out late because there are only three black guys on the ship, one of them is the carpenter, and the other speaks in an english accent in the scene where the one seaman avenges his brother by murdering the danish seaman

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Reveilled posted:

I don't think "the game deliberately lies about whether you have enough information to identify someone" makes more sense than "the game has a small error leaving Gul blurred after it's possible to conclusively ID him".

i wouldn't call it deliberately lies, but rather a decision to smooth the pace of the game, like how validation comes in threes and observant players can use that to cheese the system a little by locking down two fates and then testing a third fate until the game confirms it. paying attention to when a face is unblurred is the game saying "ok, you really should know who this is by now, pay attention to the scene you're in" as a subtle cue

some of the identities you can sequence break are:

charles miner - hanging around with the bosun fighting the kraken, is wearing a mariniere

omid gul - is wearing a turban, and is seen falling from the rigging fighting the kraken - the only guys in the rigging in a storm are topmen, which narrows his role down

john davies - is the only Big Hat Man left after you identify the first, second, and third mates

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blasmeister posted:

Make someone else play it and experience it vicariously is the best you got right now.

This is basically what I and some other jerks did with our friends.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013

Xarbala posted:

This is basically what I and some other jerks did with our friends.

Same here, but the friends still bought the game for themselves :smug:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
That little rush of adrenaline I got after matching three victims was beautiful. Amazingly good game and surprisingly little frustration. I felt so clever when I noticed new means of deduction such as the room layout and voyage map.

My only complaint is that the characterization isn't a little deeper. Perhaps that's a limitation of the design, but mysterious figures like the assassin who drops onto the captain's balcony at the start turn out to be some random guy. That's not what this game is reaching for, but it bummed me out just a bit.

It took me absurdly long to notice that [spoiler]the captain's steward killed John the seaman. That and the Frenchman shooting the steward through the wall were my last two fates solved. I figured he was shot, but assumed the Frenchman was Nathan Peters since they look similar.

I was glad that that cowardly purser didn't survive. Hiding in his room while brave souls died fighting the crab people. Shame!

snoremac fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 17, 2019

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I really want to know what pushed the three remaining crewmembers to turn against the captain, all three of them seemed to serve with distinction up to that point.

It's been almost three months and yet this game is still on my mind.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't know, but I assume it's "screw this I'm getting out of this mess, I'll take the shiny treasure and live like a king on the caribbean/in morocco/..."

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Vichan posted:

I really want to know what pushed the three remaining crewmembers to turn against the captain, all three of them seemed to serve with distinction up to that point.

If nothing else, I figure that it’s also that by this point in the timeline, literally everyone else is dead, and it’s happened under thier captain’s watch. Seems like that could encourage a lot of thinking you know better and it’s time to take over.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Vichan posted:

My guess is that some time has passed — half a day perhaps, since the story ends in daytime — since he was last seen, which was during the boat kerfuffle in Escape. He was the only one who didn’t chase after the sound of a gunshot below deck, instead retreating to his room and locking himself in. So he’s ignored what turns out to be two murders in a clear attempt at mutiny, showing callous disregard for what remains of his crew. The First Mate, who we see is a compassionate guy in his treatment of the dying midshipman, determines as second-in-command that the captain is no longer fit for duty. They go armed to his quarters to subdue him (they are not armed with guns as I recall) and he, understandably terrified of further mutiny, blows the First Mate’s head off and it escalates from there.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Not sure if this has been posted already, but the dev log at https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40832.0 is a fascinating read for this game with lots of snapshots from mid-development.

There's a hell of a lot of work that's gone into the graphics style for this that I didn't really notice while playing.

xiw fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 17, 2019

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

doesn't quite fit with the demand to know where the shells are

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

double nine posted:

doesn't quite fit with the demand to know where the shells are
Yeah...

It fits if you interpret it as them not trusting that the captain isn’t hiding them for his own gain, endangering them all. None of them witnessed the events in Bargain so they’re unaware the shells are gone. This would also back why they’re going to him armed and urgently, since it’s a matter of life and death that the shells go overboard pronto.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My headcanon has developed into an elaborate backstory based entirely on almost baseless speculation.

William is an officer in the actual navy, until he gets discharged. He hits up his brother in law for a job and gets to be first mate. Brennan is William's shipmate and asks William to help him, and possibly the last topman, to find a new position. That explains why Brennan acts as William's sidekick and why he is unusually skilled at violence.
Nicolls gets annoyed at William being promoted over him, and uses his established contacts in the crew to recruit the team for the boats.
So in the End when William gets cursed by the shells and/or paranoid about the captain being cursed by the shells, all the surviving crewmen have longer connections with William then with the Captain.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I don’t think the shells curse the crew mentally in any fashion - the curse is that the ocean creatures will stop at nothing to reclaim them. The greed and fear they excite are of the crew’s own making, and things are more interesting that way.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

snoremac posted:

I don’t think the shells curse the crew mentally in any fashion - the curse is that the ocean creatures will stop at nothing to reclaim them. The greed and fear they excite are of the crew’s own making, and things are more interesting that way.

This. Also, when the captains steward dies of quicksilver poisoning in the bargain, I’m assuming that the Formosan’s figured out how to shield or conceal the Shells on the voyage by dumping them in a vat of mercury. All bets are off when Nichols opens the chest and hides the shell in the drawer, when he kills the guard.

Also, on the whole captain thing in the bargain, I don’t think he was privy to the arrangement, was he? I thought he killed two mermaids, and then left - then the doctor cuts a deal to release the last one and return the shells, if they call off the kraken.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That's not what happened.

Putting the shell in the mercury is how you activate its siren-seeking missiles. The Formosans used that bottom drawer for storage. Also it's not exactly mercury because it burns your flesh off.

Nichols didn't kill the guard, he killed a passenger who caught him and framed the guard for it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dalaram posted:

Also, on the whole captain thing in the bargain, I don’t think he was privy to the arrangement, was he? I thought he killed two mermaids, and then left - then the doctor cuts a deal to release the last one and return the shells, if they call off the kraken.

yeah, the captain has lost control of the situation and himself, which is why he murders his remaining crewmen when they try to break into his cabin where the only thing he has of any value is his wife's corpse

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

The impatient gamer in me who wants more and can’t appreciate how much time must have gone into intricately crafting this tale wants a new tale every six months tyvm.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Last time I'll post about this, but for anyone looking to vicariously enjoy a new player experiencing Obra Dinn for the first time, my LP with my friend now has its own thread (and a second episode).

Also, re: recent discussion: does the interaction of shell + weird liquid ("mercury") in The Calling line up precisely with the interaction in The Bargain? I know fire was involved both times, but I don't remember whether the proximate causes were that closely the same.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Occultatio posted:

Also, re: recent discussion: does the interaction of shell + weird liquid ("mercury") in The Calling line up precisely with the interaction in The Bargain? I know fire was involved both times, but I don't remember whether the proximate causes were that closely the same.
I actually got the impression from the timing that Dahl taking the shell out of the "quicksilver" is what makes everything go bad after the first wave of treachery-murders, mutiny, and death-by-mermaid.

Once It-Beng Sia doused it and stunned all the mermaids, things calm down a lot. Some still die in the next chapter because they're not careful enough about the mermaids, so they get spiked without knowing that's possible and then the cook gets himself and another guy killed. Dahl gets thrown in the lazarette at the end of Unholy Captives, and I assume that despite the order of The Bargain, he finds the shell almost immediately after and probably burns to death there, as a result. But by messing with the shell and taking it out of its magic-dampening quicksilver or whatever, he's done the equivalent of putting on The One Ring. Dahl has now more or less opened a beacon that lets all the sea's wrath know where the mermaids are, where the treasure is, and where the Obra Dinn has gone.

In my mind the timeline syncs up such that The Bargain overlaps several chapters: The Soldiers of the Sea emerge shortly after Dahl dies, and then the Kraken right after them, and the captain is murdering mermaids during The Doom which is why he's nowhere to be found in those scenes. Only on fully getting rid of the shell via Martin's bargain does the (supernatural) madness end. So, basically, Dahl's greedy curiosity (right after warning about a curse, mind you) is what truly sealed the already-ominous fate of the Obra Dinn.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 18, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Bargain takes place after Soldiers of the Sea and The Doom, though.

Chinese Topmen would be a decent band name imho

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Really Pants posted:

The Bargain takes place after Soldiers of the Sea and The Doom, though.
In the book, yes. But I really doubt that Dahl spent the entire crab attack and kraken storm twiddling his thumbs only to eventually open the box and go "oooh, what's this!" Hell, his memory even opens with what sounds like him being thrown into the hold and locked in, like it just happened.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

In the book, yes. But I really doubt that Dahl spent the entire crab attack and kraken storm twiddling his thumbs only to eventually open the box and go "oooh, what's this!" Hell, his memory even opens with what sounds like him being thrown into the hold and locked in, like it just happened.

I think the sound is him breaking his chains and trying to open the chest. It's very likely that this occurred well before the kraken attack.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Re: Mutiny:

As far as I know, the key to the thing is that the captain didn't solve the problem, Martin did. So he goes back up top, says he solved it, but what he did to solve it wasn't actually the solution. Worse yet, he says he dumped the shells, but I'm pretty sure that based on his knowledge, that's a lie. So the three remaining guys are stuck with a captain who didn't solve things and is lying.

Cyan Dag
Oct 21, 2010
Re: timeline

I think that what went down with Dahl and The Bargain was that since Dahl did seem to know about mermaids, he wanted to try to get the shell out to give to a mermaid to try to appease them at least a little bit so they'd maybe stop/wouldn't start sending horrible monsters and end up sinking the ship with him locked inside it. But then he fatally discovered that the shell was was in magic burny stuff, and died instead. Either getting the shell out did prompt the soliders/kraken to show up, or they were just the next step, or the mermaids got extra mad that there was a shell RIGHT THERE and they couldn't reach it and krakened it up.

Once the kraken did show up, the Captain went down to try to murder the mermaids into making it stop. While he was doing that, his wife comes out looking for him. My speculation is that she'd been bugging him for a while to just free the mermaids and generally pitch all this weird murderous sea poo poo overboard already, and once an entire drat kraken shows up she is like No for real, I want to find my husband and tell him he's an idiot and to just do the obvious and sensible thing to make this all stop, oh my god. Then the mermaids are killed and she's killed. I think that killing the mermaids did make the kraken withdraw since in Martin's scenes the ship is calm, not noisy or rocking. So the kraken withdraws and the Captain comes up saying he solved the problem (with murder) and everything, and then he finds out that his wife is dead. I think he was struck with remorse for not listening to her in the first place and thereby preventing her death, and as an act of belated penance/commonsense orders Martin to go ahead and just free the mermaid and pitch the weird murderous sea poo poo overboard like she'd wanted to, which leads to Martin's scene.

As far as the remaining sailors going on a munity, I'm also not sure how they got from point a to point b. They do sound awfully... greedy and focused on the shells, instead of sounding like they're pissed at a mismanaging captain. Like they're all stuck adrift on a ship that I imagine is too big for the remaining crew to manage, dealing with dwindling supplies and an impulse to take off their shirts, I don't know what good having some magic shells is going to do.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
I'm considering replaying it mostly to figure out what's the optimal way to reveal the story to those who probably wouldn't play it otherwise.

RE: Timeline

I always figured Bargain to overlap with the tail end of Doom and the verrrry beginning of Escape, and the chapters 7-10 happening over maybe a couple of days at the absolute most given how loads of bodies are still lying around below the main deck.
That said, that's a really good point made that Dahl pulling out the shell might have caused the Obra Dinn to radiate a beacon of 'here, attack this since its got all the things you care about aboard', so I should probably reassess that order.
I guess Bargain's more fragmented in how it happens concurrent to chapters 6 to 9 but it's hard to place other than the last part of Bargain is before the last lifeboat leaves.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

It'd be very ironic if Dahl turns out to be the one who dooms the ship.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Vichan posted:

It'd be very ironic if Dahl turns out to be the one who dooms the ship.

It wouldn’t seem that way. The mermaids have already been captured when he opens the box, and the box has already been opened before. I’d say the crab-men are coming to rescue the mermaids, and only their failure brings the kraken. I’d say it’s squarely on Nichols for prompting the murder, theft, and escape.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think I made a mistake starting this game right before having to go back to work. It's all I'm gonna think about.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Dalaram posted:

It wouldn’t seem that way. The mermaids have already been captured when he opens the box, and the box has already been opened before. I’d say the crab-men are coming to rescue the mermaids, and only their failure brings the kraken. I’d say it’s squarely on Nichols for prompting the murder, theft, and escape.

I agree. Nichols seems to be the initial cause of things going wrong. Although I'm uncertain about the story surrounding the Chinese royals in the first place. Like apparently, some people on board were aware of their mission or what they've brought onboard.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Poque posted:

I think I made a mistake starting this game right before having to go back to work. It's all I'm gonna think about.

I didn’t have a lot of lingering questions or thoughts, but I can’t get the soundtrack out of my head.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dalaram posted:

I didn’t have a lot of lingering questions or thoughts, but I can’t get the soundtrack out of my head.

warriors of the c is addictive. Every once in a while I just feel an urge to listen to it for a small while.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

double nine posted:

warriors of the c is addictive. Every once in a while I just feel an urge to listen to it for a small while.
Warriors of the Sea is absolutely the best chapter theme song and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise, preferably using a large spear made of coral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Vib Rib posted:

Warriors of the Sea is absolutely the best chapter theme song and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise, preferably using a large spear made of coral.

*makes monstrous braying noise*