Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How experienced would they have been? The Mexican-American war had ended a little over a decade before the Civil War started so vets from that were probably starting to get long in the tooth assuming they'd even stayed in the army.

When you suddenly grow the organization tenfold overnight it's not even about useful combat experience, it's about having the barest understanding of how armies do army stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

P-Mack posted:

When you suddenly grow the organization tenfold overnight it's not even about useful combat experience, it's about having the barest understanding of how armies do army stuff.

And in the Mexican-American war there were no engagements larger than brigade vs brigade. Literally nobody in the US military had practical operational experience of divisional warfare, let alone at the corps or army level.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

After reading that great effortpost upthread about how the American military handles physical injuries and reading about the Hanoi Hilton, I'm curious about how the American military handles psychological issues, especially people who were captured and potentially tortured. Who goes and gets captives out? Delta Force? Upon rescue, what would be the next steps? Where would the person be taken (an airfield to fly to Landstuhl, maybe?) Do recovered hostages get debriefed immediately, or do they wait until they're on safer ground? How long are they kept from family? What does psychological treatment for torture/captivity look like? (I've done some research into the Bellevue Torture Treatment Center, but haven't found much specific information.)

Book recommendations about PTSD and its treatments are more than welcome! I've been reading Achilles in Vietnam and The Forgotten Lunatics of World War One, but sadly the latter book is more about sociology and how institutions were set up and run than about treatment protocols.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

If you did your 3 months early were you still eligible for a later enlistment? Cuz man, talk about ripping the band aid off.

Sure, and reenlistment was pushed hard by the army. You might be offered bonus pay for reenlistment, maybe get a long furlough, anything to keep experienced manpower in the field. A lot of the original 3 month volunteers went home right after First Bull Run because jesus, what a poo poo show, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if most signed up again within a few months. Nobody wants to be that guy who shoveled poo poo in Louisiana.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
From a few pages back:

Clarence posted:

Sounds like there is a niche for a youtube channel comparing different camouflage clothing types in different environments, conditions and seasons. Could easily have a dozen or more videos for each type.

This guy has some videos where he showcases different camouflage patterns: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3khfSiedNsg0jWLjaxxU0beGSCzZJbAa

Fake Edit: This god-drat forum software really does all it can to prevent me from just copy-and-pasting that link to the post...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Squalid posted:

funny, I also recently saw this clip from Africa Addio with "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" playing over it, guess its going around. This led me to watch the film, and boy is it something. Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apr6g_NK06Q

You can easily find the entire thing on youtube. On the one hand, much of the footage really is amazing. The most important and shocking images are probably director Gualtiero Jacopetti's images of the genocide of the Zanzibar Arabs during 1964 revolution. Captured by helicopter, Jacopetti records as revolutionaries round up Arabs in the street, take them to open fields, killed the Arabs, and then carted their bodies away in flatbed trucks. No other photo records of these mass killings exist. The film includes rare images of many other important events in African history.

On the other hand the film is at times obliviously racist, with an entire scene based around the idea African men were especially lustful towards white women. There were many other offensive ideas as well.

Equally problematic, I'm almost certain several scenes were actually staged. In particular during one scene meant to illustrate the spread of modern trends and fashions among South Africa's blacks, extras on a film set dressed in traditional zulu attire bust out a jazz quartet in between takes for an impromptu dance session. It's not stated but my instinct is the film whose set they were on was actually Africa Addio's. Just a hunch, but when they wheeled the upright piano out from a grass-hut the scenario started looking a bit contrived. It waasn't even the worst example either. Staging scenes was not that uncommon for documentaries of the time but it still calls into question the integrity of the entire work, especially as the filmmakers denied they did any such thing.

Still there's not much material willing to cover the same issues and events, so I would recommend it to anyone interested in African history. It's entertaining and stylish, and if nothing else a unique artifact of 1960s culture.

Massive take by one of the channels hosting the movie on YouTube:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I see Rhodes is haunting the internet now.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Hunt11 posted:

So it turns out there was a way for his outfit to be even more horrifying and racist.

The way I read the explanation, Allegemaine SS was pre-stealing valor of the Waffen SS and were told to cut it out during the actual war :v:

quote:

SS also wore fancy camouflage smocks and helmet covers over their uniforms that the army didn't get because the SS were such assholes that they patented it so the army couldn't use the SS's patterns.

How... how the gently caress does that happen? :psyduck: How the gently caress is that allowed to happen? "Sorry, Branch B, Branch A patented the camo pattern, so you have to find your own. Now burn all the uniforms or we'll have to get Branch C to enforce the patent right with tanks an artillery."

E:

Phanatic posted:

In addition to blending in almost perfectly with the water, which is great for man-overboard situations, they're made out of nylon. Which means you can't do certain things while wearing them, like fight fires. On ships.

They cost $225 million to develop.

Aren't uniforms in most navies blue, or am I missing something?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 29, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

How... how the gently caress does that happen? :psyduck: How the gently caress is that allowed to happen? "Sorry, Branch B, Branch A patented the camo pattern, so you have to find your own. Now burn all the uniforms or we'll have to get Branch C to enforce the patent right with tanks an artillery."
nazi germany's economics were neither fully right-wing nor fully left-wing but they WERE fully bad

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 29, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JcDent posted:

The way I read the explanation, Allegemaine SS was pre-stealing valor of the Waffen SS and were told to cut it out during the actual war :v:

My friend you should look up small arms procurement during the war. Half the reason that concentration camps got turned into factories is that the SS controlled the camps and it was a way to make their own guns because the Wehrmacht didn’t want to let them into their supply network.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I'm reading a new book about bad rear end Soviet traitor Oleg Gordievsky and I was pretty shocked at a long section making a lot of strong claims about Michael Foot as a paid KGB agent in the 1960s and 70s.

Google returns a bunch of modern Labour party folks positively infuriated by the claims along with a bunch of refutations, but at least on the surface it seems to be pretty well-sourced.

Is this...legit?

Here's a pretty good article about it

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 29, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

To give you an idea of how much back biting went on in that system the luftwaffe had a tank division because Goering wanted a army off his own like Himmler had.

Roll that around in your head a bit.

Luftwaffe Panzer Division.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Well they had infantry divisions, so why not.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Well they had infantry divisions, so why not.

That makes a little more sense, in theory. The RAF has a Regiment right now. It mostly does airbase security.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

To give you an idea of how much back biting went on in that system the luftwaffe had a tank division because Goering wanted a army off his own like Himmler had.

it's a man's life, in the air force's army's tanks

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

JcDent posted:

That would never happen in the US...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

So I'm reading a new book about bad rear end Soviet traitor Oleg Gordievsky and I was pretty shocked at a long section making a lot of strong claims about Michael Foot as a paid KGB agent in the 1960s and 70s.

Google returns a bunch of modern Labour party folks positively infuriated by the claims along with a bunch of refutations, but at least on the surface it seems to be pretty well-sourced.

Is this...legit?

Here's a pretty good article about it

Article seems reasonable, to be honest. Please note:

'According to The Times the late Michael Foot, the former leader of the Labour Party, was a Soviet “confidential contact” on the payroll of the KGB to the tune of £37,000 (in today’s money). '

'This latest fuss precedes the publication of a biography of the KGB defector, Oleg Gordievsky, by Times journalist and spy writer Ben Macintyre'

:thunk:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MrYenko posted:

That would never happen in the US...

'"We want to be instantly recognized as a force to be reckoned with. We want them to see us coming a mile away in our new uniforms'

:cawg:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
you think that's weird? the Marines have their own air force!!!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
By 'well sourced', the only sources seem to be hearsay via Gordievsky, and the suspicions of unnamed UK ex-intelligence officials.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JcDent posted:

Quick answer: Nazis.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
As a kid I thought the airborne were Air Force units.

Fortunately I learned the truth without ever saying this to anyone in the airborne.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Article seems reasonable, to be honest. Please note:

'According to The Times the late Michael Foot, the former leader of the Labour Party, was a Soviet “confidential contact” on the payroll of the KGB to the tune of £37,000 (in today’s money). '

'This latest fuss precedes the publication of a biography of the KGB defector, Oleg Gordievsky, by Times journalist and spy writer Ben Macintyre'

:thunk:

I guess what's interesting is the Times already got owned in court about this, so it seems unlikely they'd demand a rubber match unless they had something relatively air tight.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

you think that's weird? the Marines have their own air force!!!

I thought the navy already had an air force.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

As a kid I thought the airborne were Air Force units.

Fortunately I learned the truth without ever saying this to anyone in the airborne.
you were a child, i hotglued an airborne patch to my milsurp backpack as a child before someone told me i probably shouldn't :negative:

the hotglue was because i don't think i understood how sewing worked yet

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cyrano4747 posted:

Who, as an aside, were given a big pile of those fancy SS camouflage smocks during Sicily:

So, an Luftwaffe Panzer Division wearing patented SS camouflage over their blue Luftwaffe uniforms.

Again, the answer is "because Nazis."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

bewbies posted:

I guess what's interesting is the Times already got owned in court about this, so it seems unlikely they'd demand a rubber match unless they had something relatively air tight.

The difference between then and now is that Michael Foot is dead. Dead people cannot sue for libel under British law.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 29, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm always partial to the People's Liberation Army Naval Air Force

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

Who, as an aside, were given a big pile of those fancy SS camouflage smocks during Sicily:

So, an Luftwaffe Panzer Division wearing patented SS camouflage over their blue Luftwaffe uniforms.

are they meant to look like windbreakers, because lmao

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

The difference between then and now is that Michael Foot is dead.

Well, that and a bunch of former MI6 guys corroborating it.

I generally share Trump's reflexive distrust of anonymous sources but it doesn't seem likely they have anything to gain by sharing this stuff.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

bewbies posted:

Well, that and a bunch of former MI6 guys corroborating it.

I generally share Trump's reflexive distrust of anonymous sources but it doesn't seem likely they have anything to gain by sharing this stuff.

The point isn't that they have an ulterior motive. The point is that it likely all still comes back to the same source. Gordievsky made the claim, and his handlers believed him. But that's already been established, the contestation made in the original libel trial was that Gordievsky was wrong.

quote:

Now, 23 years later, anonymous intelligence officers have spoken to Macintyre, confirming that MI6 took the issue seriously

That's not *independent* corroboration of Gordievsky's claims. That's just a sign of the guy's influence within MI6.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 29, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

The point isn't that they have an ulterior motive. The point is that it likely all still comes back to the same source. Gordievsky made the claim, and his handlers believed him. But that's already been established, the contestation made in the original libel trial was that Gordievsky was wrong.

That's not *independent* corroboration of Gordievsky's claims. That's just a sign of the guy's influence within MI6.

So, let's assume that this new claim is also bunk...is not a huge deal in the UK? I'm imagining some author falsely claiming that Eugene McCarthy or someone like that was listed by the KGB as an agent...that would be one of the biggest stories of the year in the US.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cessna posted:

These guys must have to contend with not only a massive identity crisis but also being the baddies.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

bewbies posted:

So, let's assume that this new claim is also bunk...is not a huge deal in the UK? I'm imagining some author falsely claiming that Eugene McCarthy or someone like that was listed by the KGB as an agent...that would be one of the biggest stories of the year in the US.

You way overestimate how many people have heard of Michael Foot in the UK. I personally haven't heard of these allegations this September and this stuff has pretty much faded without trace at this point.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

You way overestimate how many people have heard of Michael Foot in the UK. I personally haven't heard of these allegations this September and this stuff has pretty much faded without trace at this point.

Oh...well, that makes sense. I guess I thought Foot was a much more prominent figure than he was/is?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well when he wasn't dead he hadn't been prominent since the early eighties? he's like old Labour party vanguard.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think rather than McCarthy, think of him as someone like Hubert Humphrey or Mondale, except somehow even lower profile since they got a VP position.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

I think rather than McCarthy, think of him as someone like Hubert Humphrey or Mondale, except somehow even lower profile since they got a VP position.
we did have a VP who was a communist, henry wallace. but after his third party run he sank into obscurity, changeed his mind, and reappeared as a republican lol

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

They've also tried accusing the current leader of the Labour party of being a Soviet agent. Note that the Times is a right of centre newspaper owned by Rupert Murdoch. That's just politics in this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

feedmegin posted:

They've also tried accusing the current leader of the Labour party of being a Soviet agent. Note that the Times is a right of centre newspaper owned by Rupert Murdoch. That's just politics in this country.

I can confirm this, personally I am more interested in what Private Eye's opinion on this. Should go get a copy now.