Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I just realized the traps only do 2 damage at our level. If you want I can just walk in to one to eat it and heal to full afterwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, 2 damage is fully doable. I can step on the other one and heal myself and the Brute.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Sounds good.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Alrighty

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Are we planning to open the door on turn 7?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
That was my understanding, finish looting and killing in round 6 while our Brute long rests and breach the final room in round 7.

namad
Nov 7, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

The idea is to keep track of current hand, discarded, lost and active cards with the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet under the Players Overview section.
The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green in turns following the one they are played in. Available items are also shown there.

That way there is a fully itemized list and not just a numerical count. I originally thought about tracking this in the thread, but it would be too long - half of every update would just be a tally of cards.

The spreadsheet is only useful to people who are caught up with the thread. I agree, it would clutter the thread needlessly to track all of that information in the thread. However 9 numbers per update... wouldn't really clog the thread, and it would allow for new fan's of the let's play to read old mission reports and have some sense of which missions were more difficult than others. In my mind I love gloomhaven, so I'm planning for this let's play to go on for years and have 100s of new fans join any moment now :)

The spreadsheet is fine for me, and for the players, but for picking up new fans, I feel like some numerical track in the updates would be good. If 9 numbers is too many, maybe just track lost cards (or maybe just cards in hand, whichever seems most important)? That's 3 numbers per update. Imo it makes for a good summary for anyone trying to catch up. I'll let it drop after this though. I feel like I might be badgering you too much.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Fair enough, I can see how it could be difficult for someone reading at a different time to follow through the action without that kind of information :) I'll add them from now on.

Orders are in, working on the update!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Black Barrow, Update 7

Last Round pending actions posted:

None!

PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green in turns following the one they are played in. Available items are also shown there.

Master Splinter (Hand8, Discarded0, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 11 with Into the Night and Empathetic Assault. INTENT: loot, then move into the trap and self heal the damage. Use Minor Stamina Potion to recover both cards.
code:
"INTO THE NIGHT (14) [Lvl1]
TOP: LOOT1 - Generate DARK
BOT: INVISIBLE self"

"EMPATHETIC ASSAULT (11) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK4, Range4 - DISARM - Generate ICE - XP2 - LOSS
BOT: MOVE2 - HEAL2 self"
Rocky (Hand9, Discarded0, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 35 with Opposing Strike and Crushing Grasp. INTENT: Attack the archer with Opposing Strike, then loot.
code:
"OPPOSING STRIKE (46) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, PBAOE (check image) - XP1
BOT: Permanent Bonus - On the next six melee attacks targeting you, gain RETALIATE2 - Gain XP1 on 1st, 3rd and 5th trigger - LOSS"

"CRUSHING GRASP (35) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3 - IMMOBILIZE - Generate EARTH
BOT: LOOT1"
Bullwinkle (Hand1, Discarded7, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 99 and taking a Long Rest discarding Grab and Go.

MONSTERS OVERWIEV

The Archer is going before Rocky, so he could potentially cause some issues to our heroes, especially if Master Splinter ends up somehow becoming his focus!

Black Barrow, Round 6 posted:

11. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief
Master Splinter uses Into the Night (top)! LOOT1 and gains 1 coin token. Generates DARK.
Master Splinter uses Empathetic Assault (bot)! Moves 2 to I1(2) Trap triggered! Suffers 2 damage. Heals 2!
Master Splinter uses Minor Stamina Potion to recover Into the Night and Empathetic Assault.
The actions on the card are executed in the order provided; traps deal their effects when they're sprung, and they are sprung when anyone enters their tile with a normal or forced movement that lacks the Jump or Flight quality. Afterwards, the trap tile is removed.

32. Bandit Archer 1
Bandit Archer 1 focuses Rocky!
Moves 1 to E1(2) to avoid disadvantage!
Attacks Rocky for 4 (3base, +1mod, SHIELD1) damage.
Rockyis at 6 HP
The Bandit Archer is focusing Rocky, since it has the lowest initiative among the heroes closest to him. Then, following the ranged attacker AI, he moves up to his movement until he no longer has disadvantage against the focused target. Both E1(2) and E3(2) were potential valid locations; in this case, it's up to the players to decide where the enemy will move. I've moved the Archer to E1(2) as it's a better spot to Push him into the spikes, in the improbable event of his survival. This kind of decision is something the players will be able to rectify in between updates, if needed be.

35. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart
Plan A can't be executed (enemy out of range)! No Plan B provided! Generic "best outcome" intent: kill the last enemy this round over looting 1 token.
Rocky uses Crushing Grasp (bot as a basic MOVE2)! Moves 1 to F2(2).
Rocky uses Opposing Strike (top)! Attacks Bandit Archer 2 for 2 (3base, -1mod) damage! Gains 1XP.
Bandit Archer 2 is killed!
Here's the weakness of the intent system. Were the players able to see the enemy action card, Some Numbers would have known that this was going to happen. Having to abstract everything can be a bit daunting, even for experienced players, especially when a simple outcome is expected. There are also other reasons for this, but we'll discuss them at the end of the scenario :)

99. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute
Bullwinkle executes a Long Rest! Recovers all discarded card, Loses Grab and Go. Recovers Boots of Striding! Heals 2!
Bullwinkle is at 9 HP

END OF ROUND ACTIONS
DARK is waning.

That lonesome, 1HP non-elite Archer has been able to deal more damage to our heroes than anything else in the dungeon so far. We can only expect his pupils and/or children to hunt our heroes down at the end of story...the rules of badass deaths demand it. :black101:

Reik, Some Numbers and SalTheBard, please submit your orders for round 7!
- Specify two plans, using the two possible combinations of top/bottom. PLAN A is your preferred one.
- Select one or more preferred target(s) for your attacks. (IE: "n.3"; or "n.4 if it's still alive, otherwise n.5")
- Select one or more preferred final location for your movements.
- Specify the maximum enemy focus threshold you will tolerate: if your selected orders move you in a place that puts you into N+ enemy focus, I'll try to accomodate that into your orders. This is to avoid potential suicide rushes, since you will operate without full knowledge of potential enemy positions.
- (OPTIONAL) add your intention for the round. This will allow me to better understand and execute your idea (IE: I want to grab focus from the enemies trying to kill PlayerX).

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: 3AM EST:getin:
Also Some Numbers let me know if you want to sacrifice one card to prevent the 3 damage!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 29, 2018

namad
Nov 7, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

The Bandit Archer is focusing Rocky, since it has the lowest initiative among the heroes closest to him. Then, following the ranged attacker AI, he moves up to his movement until he no longer has disadvantage against the focused target. Both E1(2) and E3(2) were potential valid locations; in this case, it's up to the players to decide where the enemy will move. I've moved the Archer to E1(2) as it's a better spot to Push him into the spikes, in the improbable event of his survival. This kind of decision is something the players will be able to rectify in between updates, if needed be.

In my RL party we decided that players would not decide cases of ambiguity and I'd roll a d10 and make odds/evens the choice (we were using d10s for monster hp). This meant there was less to think about. It also rarely matters. It might make the thread go faster to use my house rule on this one too. Then again with 24hours to think it over, it'd be pretty easy to decide where to put the archer, unless the players disagree. As you might be able to tell my RL party disagreed a lot. We actually just rolled a dice and let that decide everything whenever we couldn't agree on something the party was supposed to decide. That makes me wonder. Did you go with a 3 man party instead of a 4 man party because 3 men always have a deciding vote?

namad fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 29, 2018

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Is that a treasure chest behind me or just generic obstacle?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

Is that a treasure chest behind me or just generic obstacle?

Neither: it's part of the map tile. If you look closely, you can see it is a treasure chest someone broke into and looted already.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Am I misreading the damage on Rocky? It says he took 4 but the base was 3, modifier +1, and he had 1 shield. Doesn't the shield cancel the +1?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I don't have a Shield, so I should take four damage. I won't lose a card.

This is fine. Brute, since you have more HP than me now, are you willing to facetank the other trap? I'll queue up a heal for both of us.

Am I able to short rest again? I really want my Loot card back.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is there a reason we can't just walk around the other trap?

I'll go in to the final room early and go invisible.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

I don't have a Shield, so I should take four damage. I won't lose a card.

This is fine. Brute, since you have more HP than me now, are you willing to facetank the other trap? I'll queue up a heal for both of us.

Am I able to short rest again? I really want my Loot card back.

You can short rest again, but it'll take me a little bit to communicate the results! I'll update the thread asap.

Edit: let me now if you want to reroll any card!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I want my Loot card back.

Reik posted:

Is there a reason we can't just walk around the other trap?

I'll go in to the final room early and go invisible.

It takes extra movement, but that’s a fair point.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I want my Loot card back..

You have lost Unstable Upheaval! I'll update this in the "pending action from last round" section of the next update :)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure I know what each player's battle goal is at this point :)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

You have lost Unstable Upheaval! I'll update this in the "pending action from last round" section of the next update :)

Cool

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm pretty sure I know what each player's battle goal is at this point :)

I don't think mine is going to be achieved :(

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
My plan is to go kind of fast, I'm going to open the door and then charge straight in. If there are any sort of ranged mobs I'm going to attack the ranged mobs. Unless something goes crazy (like drawing a null) I will probably one shot whatever I attack.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Are you stopping in the door or are you moving further in?

If you're moving further, I would recommend going later so I can heal you first?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Some Numbers posted:

Are you stopping in the door or are you moving further in?

If you're moving further, I would recommend going later so I can heal you first?

If there are mobs that I can engage, I plan on engaging. If you would like me to go slower I can.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If you both go late there's a chance the monsters go and waste their turn moving towards you two after I open the door and go invisible.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Reik posted:

If you both go late there's a chance the monsters go and waste their turn moving towards you two after I open the door and go invisible.

I like this man.

(Side story)

I played yesterday with my actual group, I can't remember which mission it was but we opened the door, I popped invisibility, then long rested, which caused all the mobs to bottle neck in a gigantic cluster gently caress. On my next turn I went super fast, used 2 attack cards (1 top , 1 bottom attack), and then with smoke screen dished out something like 12 points of damage and killed 2 mobs. It was pretty legit!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reik posted:

You're going to stop in the door, right?

If so, that's awesome. Brute, go as late as you can.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Some Numbers posted:

Alrighty. I will probably be going dead loving last :-D

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

If I just stop in the door none of the monsters will move. Is that what you guys would prefer? Unless there are ranged monsters that can reach you guys from the first tile in.

Reik fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 30, 2018

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Reik posted:

If I just stop in the door none of the monsters will move. Is that what you guys want? Unless there are ranged monsters that can reach you guys from the first tile in.

I think Invis Blocking the door is great. I'm going to have a lot of movement this round so unless this room is stupid big I should be able to reach the back of it and murder whatever I hit.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

I think Invis Blocking the door is great. I'm going to have a lot of movement this round so unless this room is stupid big I should be able to reach the back of it and murder whatever I hit.

Sounds good, I've updated the intent for my turn, I'll prioritize jamming up monster movement and only attack if I can do so while also jamming up the door/room.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Going one spot past the door means there'll be a pathway for monsters to pour out, but maybe that's worth it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Orders are in working on the update!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Black Barrow, Update 8

Last Round pending actions posted:

Rocky executes a Short Rest at the end of its turn! Recovers all discarded cards, loses Unstable Upheaval!

PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green in turns following the one they are played in. Available items are also shown there.

Master Splinter (Hand8, Discarded0, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 14 with Scurry and Into the Night. INTENT: Open the door, and position self to block enemy path, attack if possible from that position, turn invisible.
code:
"SCURRY (20) [Lvl1]
TOP: MOVE3 - ATK1
BOT: LOOT2 - XP1"

"INTO THE NIGHT (14) [Lvl1]
TOP: LOOT1 - Generate DARK
BOT: INVISIBLE self"
Rocky (Hand8, Discarded0, Active1, Lost2) is acting at initiative 35 with Nature's Lift and Crushing Grasp. INTENT: Loot the coin tokens around, then heal self and Brute.
code:
"NATURE'S LIFT (64) [Lvlx]
TOP: HEAL2, Range3, Target2
BOT: Persistent Bonus On your next six ranged Attack actions when AIR is Strong or Waning, Consume AIR to add +2Range - Gain XP1 on 1st, 3rd and 5th trigger - LOSS"

"CRUSHING GRASP (35) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3 - IMMOBILIZE - Generate EARTH
BOT: LOOT1"
Bullwinkle (Hand6, Discarded0, Active1, Lost3) is acting at initiative 77 with Balanced Measures and Skewer. INTENT: go last, run as far as possible with Boots of Striding and impale whatever enemy is at the farther, prioritizing elites.
code:
"BALANCED MEASURES (77) [Lvlx]
TOP: ATK* where * is the number of hexes you have moved so far this turn - XP1
BOT: MOVE* where * is the amount of damage you have inflicted so far this turn"

"SKEWER (35) [Lvlx]
TOP: ATK 3, PBAOE (check image), Consume AIR: +1ATK, PIERCE1 - XP1
BOT: MOVE6 - XP1 - LOSS"
MONSTERS OVERWIEV
There is currently no active monster!

Black Barrow, Round 7 posted:

14. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Reik)
Master Splinter uses Scurry (top)! Moves 1 to the door tile. Door opened!

Living Bones 8(E), 6 revealed!
Bandi Archer 4(E), 3 revealed!
Treasure Tile 07 revealed!

When opening the door posted:

Kicking through the door, you find yourself face-to-face with the reason these bandits chose this particular hole to nest in: animate bones—unholy abominations of necromantic power.
Nothing more to do but lay them to rest along with the remainder of this troublesome rabble.

Black Barrow, Round 7, continued posted:

Master Splinter Moves 2 to F4(3). Attacks Living Bones 8(E) for 2 (1base, -1mod +2bonus) damage!
Living Bones 8(E) is at 4 HP

NOTE: I had originally played out the round this way, but I have reconsidered since it would have caused Bullwinkle to completely whiff their high powered turn. Master Splinter can still block the Living Bones AI from the door tile without blocking her ally from impaling an enemy with no fear of retaliation this round. This should allow both players to achieve their intent for the round. Plan Invisible Hodor is a go!
Master Splinter uses Into the Night (bot)! Gains INVISIBLE

Invisible heroes cannot be focused on or targeted by enemies attacks but they are still...there. Every enemy is treated as an obstacle when moving, and invisible heroes are treated as such. It is normally forbidden to wall off a section of the map by creating a permanent obstacle, but "bodyblocking" a chockepoint is allowed. This does some interesting things to melee monsters's AI: since there is no valid path to any hero on the other side of the blockage, they simply cannot focus anyone, as to focus they should be able to:
A) see the hero and
B) be able to move to an hex where an attack would be possible, given an unlimited MOVE action
The Archers, being ranged, can reach an hex from where to attack, given an unlimited move action, so they focus normally...But those 2 Living Bones are unable to focus anyone this round...so they'll just stay there, unable to act.
On top of that INVISIBILITY is not broken by attacking and lasts until the end of the hero's next turn!

16. Bandit Archer 4(E), 3
Bandit Archer 4(E) focuses Rocky! Moves 3 to F4(3).
Bandit Archer 3 focuses Rocky! Moves 2 to I3(3).
To be able to attack an enemy with ranged attacks, you need Line of Sight. Gloomhaven uses a simple system: you trace a straight line from a corner of the hex the attacker is in to a corner of the hex the target is in. If this line doesn't cross a wall, there is LOS; nothing else blocks it.

35. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Some Numbers)
Rocky uses Crushing Grasp (bot)! LOOT1 and gains 2 coin tokens
Rocky uses Nature's Lift (top)! Heals self and Bullwinkle for 2 HP!
Rocky is at 8 HP.
Bullwinkle is at 10 HP

From this screenshot you can see that I'm actually playing the game with 3D tokens (there is a slight slope on the door tile, so Master Splinter's token is a bit tilted). They are...hexagonal blocks, though, and the map would look way more confusing without the top-down view, so I'm using that one instead. Here's what the game looks like with the 3rd person camera:

Yuck.

45. Living Bones 8(E)
Living Bones 8(E) tries to focus someone, but no valid focus target is avaible!
Living Bones 6 tries to focus someone, but no valid focus target is avaible!
Since they can't reach an hex from which to attack Rocky or Bullwinkle - even given unlimited MOVE - the Living Bones are just going to stand around, looking spooky and scary.
:skeltal:

77. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (SalTheBard)
Bullwinkle usesSkewer (bot)! Activates Boots of Striding! Moves 8 (by taking the panoramic route) to G5(3). Gains 1XP!
Bullwinkle uses Balanced Measures (top)! Attacks Bandit Archer 6(E) for 8 (8base, +0mod) damage! Gains 1XP!
Bandit Archer 4(E) is killed!
:black101:
As per SalTheBard order, I have activated the Boots of Striding to maximize damage, as a 6 damage attack "only" would have left the Archer alive if any negative modifier had been pulled from the deck.

The Elite Living Bones currently has 6HP instead of 4!

The other board status looked way worse, with Master Splinter in F4(3) and both Archers hiding behind the Living Bones, so I believe this outcome is what the players would have picked, given their cumulative declared intent. If this is not what you would have done, though, please let me know! The "intent" system may come back in the future - if the 2 step system is not an improvement - and I'd like to work out all the kinks from it.

Reik, Some Numbers and SalTheBard, please submit your orders for round 8!
- Specify two plans, using the two possible combinations of top/bottom. PLAN A is your preferred one.
- Select one or more preferred target(s) for your attacks. (IE: "n.3"; or "n.4 if it's still alive, otherwise n.5")
- Select one or more preferred final location for your movements.
- Specify the maximum enemy focus threshold you will tolerate: if your selected orders move you in a place that puts you into N+ enemy focus, I'll try to accomodate that into your orders. This is to avoid potential suicide rushes, since you will operate without full knowledge of potential enemy positions.
- (OPTIONAL) add your intention for the round. This will allow me to better understand and execute your idea (IE: I want to grab focus from the enemies trying to kill PlayerX).

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: 3AM EST:getin:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 30, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I for certain wouldn't have blocked the Brute's loss attack 8 in order to get my attack 3 off, thank you for playing it out this way.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
LMAO Balanced Measure is so ridiculous.

Reik posted:

I for certain wouldn't have blocked the Brute's loss attack 8 in order to get my attack 3 off, thank you for playing it out this way.

Balanced Measure isn't a loss card. :getin:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

LMAO Balanced Measure is so ridiculous.

Balanced Measure isn't a loss card. :getin:

Attack 6-8 with 1xp at no loss? Seems legit.

The Skewer move 6 was, though.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reik posted:

The Skewer move 6 was, though.

Yeah, SalTheBard has used Skewer (bot) to MOVE6 (which is indeed a Loss card) but the result was very :black101:

Reik posted:

I'll always try to keep in line with the player's intent - both individual and as a group - and the group's intent was clearly for you to invisiblock potential melee enemies and for the Brute to kill something at the end of a charge. As the other play is something that would have almost never happened in regular play (unless BG/PQ shenanigans were involved) and since this course of action was still in line with everyone's intent, I took that judgment call.

As a rule of thumb, I won't go against the players intent, even if it leads to sub optimal results, but I will try to apply their desired actions in a way that would be logical in regular play, while staying inside the intent provided; especially if the "problematic" situation is caused by the lack of info that would not be present in a non-asynchronous play. In this case, the players would have seen what was beyond the door and adjusted their plans accordingly.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 30, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Oh right Skewer is a loss. Proper use of it in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh right Skewer is a loss. Proper use of it in this case.

I thought so. It worked out far better than I had anticipated.