Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

Doesn't seem anything like the draft profiles which seemed VERY insistent that he did not have the experience or the skills and would be a project. I really wonder why that might be...

I think the worry about his passing game was real and not a terrible thing to worry about.

A large part of this is because he was a Petrino quarterback and those haven't translated well to the league at all because they aren't asked to make a lot of reads in college. Just one of those things you don't know whether it will work out until you actually get to work with the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I remember Watson being very inaccurate in College. Like every Clemson game I saw with him starting had his wideouts bailing him out all game. Then he got to Houston and those problems were basically just gone, poof. Watson was the main reason I was so optimistic about Lamar being able to eventually fix his accuracy issues.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think Mitch is basically the new Tim couch - coaches didn't realize how the prospects playstyle/system inflated his stats

For couch it was early spread offense making his numbers obscene. For Mitch it was never , ever making tough throws or going through progressions, so he had very few ints and also that 38 yard passing game against Virginia tech that actually presaged his pro abilities. When guys aren't wide open, like the tb game last year or Taylor gabriel this week, he won't throw to them out of fear

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I remember Watson being very inaccurate in College. Like every Clemson game I saw with him starting had his wideouts bailing him out all game. Then he got to Houston and those problems were basically just gone, poof. Watson was the main reason I was so optimistic about Lamar being able to eventually fix his accuracy issues.

Yeah Mike Williams rules

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Poor Tim Couch being slandered in 2019.

I don't know if he'd have ever been good, but man he had a better chance to be good somewhere else.

This, uh, does not seem to be the case for Mitch to me. Sorry Mitchell. Insisting on the Mitchell thing might be the biggest red flag.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Bullshit. Tim Couch actually showed some talent and was deeply let down by a weak roster on the new look Browns. Trubisky is the new Kyle Boller and I'll hear no argument to the contrary. In passing drills he'll look like a god, in 7 on 7 he looks passable, and in a game he'll look like Mitch Trubisky. His pea brain can't handle the strain of the real game.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I legitimately wanted Watson in that draft because he's a baller but I was also shook off the notion that no QB throwing under 55mph at the combine has ever ever ever been good in the NFL. Watson only threw 50mph.

In retrospect it seems dumb.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Fumbles aren't "bad and should be punished" any more than a tipped pass: both are opportunities for the defense to force a turnover, but neither are awarded to the defense by default. If it goes out of bounds, the defense didn't earn poo poo, and gently caress 'em for failing to recover the ball in-bounds.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hopkins bailed Watson out a lot his rookie year. He's developed amazingly

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Diva Cupcake posted:

I legitimately wanted Watson in that draft because he's a baller but I was also shook off the notion that no QB throwing under 55mph at the combine has ever ever ever been good in the NFL. Watson only threw 50mph.

My wife is a bama alum so watching their defenses dominate all season then get abused twice in a row told me all I needed to know about Watson

loving Mitch god drat him

Bring back lovie

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

mastershakeman posted:

I think Mitch is basically the new Tim couch - coaches didn't realize how the prospects playstyle/system inflated his stats

For couch it was early spread offense making his numbers obscene. For Mitch it was never , ever making tough throws or going through progressions, so he had very few ints and also that 38 yard passing game against Virginia tech that actually presaged his pro abilities. When guys aren't wide open, like the tb game last year or Taylor gabriel this week, he won't throw to them out of fear

And it's justified fear, because he's not capable of fitting balls into tight windows. Sometimes I wonder if those squinty eyes even allow him to see properly

Metapod posted:

Hopkins bailed Watson out a lot his rookie year. He's developed amazingly

That's true, he's improved dramatically. But even the day he first took a snap he was already better than a lot of guys. Remember that crazy duel between him and Russell Wilson in 2017? What a game that was

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Strobe posted:

Fumbles aren't "bad and should be punished" any more than a tipped pass: both are opportunities for the defense to force a turnover, but neither are awarded to the defense by default. If it goes out of bounds, the defense didn't earn poo poo, and gently caress 'em for failing to recover the ball in-bounds.

What world do you live in where a guy dropping a ball or having a ball punched out that he’s trying his hardest to hold on to is the same the ball being tipped in the air?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Watson Mahomes thing is going to be around for a while. Watson is a hell of an athlete but can't sling it anywhere near as well as Mahomes off balance. They both appear to be really football smart. Mahomes has about every advantage I can think of over Watson minus Hopkins but Deshaun is more than holding his own.

This is going to be a fun football thing to watch over the next few years and we should move either the Chiefs or Texans so they're in the same division.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I never watch college football but for some reason I saw the 2017 National Championship live and in the end I thought "there's no way Watson isn't going to be amazing, he has to be drafted as early as possible" which is the dumbest reason to think a player will pan out but here we are

this is my Deshaun Watson story hope y'all liked it

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Phobeste posted:

What world do you live in where a guy dropping a ball or having a ball punched out that he’s trying his hardest to hold on to is the same the ball being tipped in the air?

The part where the defense should(n't) get it automatically just because the ball is loose. Regardless of where it happens on the field.

I figured that was pretty obvious from my post.

EDIT: in case that still isn't clear: every single other kind of turnover is the result of the defense recovering a live ball, or successfully stopping a drive by turnover on downs.

The ball squirting out the end zone is neither of those things, and shouldn't change possession.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 5, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Fumbles should go to the other team when fumbled out the back of the end zone as that is the funniest outcome

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

CharlestheHammer posted:

Fumbles should go to the other team when fumbled out the back of the end zone as that is the funniest outcome

The only time it was funny was when John Fox challenged for a TD and ended up 'winning' the challenge because it was a turnover instead.

Every other time is just :smith: in the form of a football play.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
subversion of expectations is the basis of all comedy

Play fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 5, 2019

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
If the ball goes out the back of the end zone the punter gets to kick someone he doesn’t like in the nuts

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The rule should be what would best benefit my team, and yes I'd like to upsize my combo to a large.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

If the ball goes out the back of the end zone the punter gets to kick someone he doesn’t like in the nuts

Does it have to be a member of the opposing team?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCSPhilly/status/1191452452643581954?s=19

Wonderful. Hasn't played since week 2 due to this issue, played 1 series yesterday and now this. Just a home run by the medical staff

DJax probably gets blame too but I'm honestly not 100% on how this works

edit: well this sounds horrible

https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1191453538334978048?s=19

I was so please to have DJax back, shame one glorious 154-yard, 2-TD game is all the Eagles will be getting out of him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
gently caress that sounds painful

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
is off the bone like off the hook?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Play posted:

Sometimes repetition makes something funny too.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Play posted:

Sometimes repetition makes something funny too.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

nope

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This would make Koch even more dominant and, hell, I'm on board for that.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

T-Square posted:

Yeah, that too. I was getting annoyed with the whole Boogeymen "we played the Jets twice" Patriots Defense thing and saw "Boogeyman" roll across the screen and started talking poo poo, until I realized the network was referring to Lamar as the boogeyman :getin:

The Patriots most definitely are calling their D the Boogeymen in their own Stadium and on the Jumbo Tron

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Godlovingdammit, Giants. You had one job. ONE. JOB. You were supposed to beat Dallas so that Philly could take the lead in the NFC East by half a game.

Then again, the officiating of this game was god awful. I swear, the refs were TRYING to keep the Cowboys in the hunt for the playoffs.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

"Cowboys: 9-1 vs NFC East since 2018 (6-8 vs other teams)"

lol this is what they say is the best division in football? paging Ghost Dog as we speak

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mystic Stylez posted:

"Cowboys: 9-1 vs NFC East since 2018 (6-8 vs other teams)"

lol this is what they say is the best division in football? paging Ghost Dog as we speak

The NFCE has not been the best division in football in a while, and no one has said they are this year. The NFCE has three crappy teams and Washington just trying their hardest to be a real football team.

The cowboys are just the current king clown.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I think both the Eagles and Cowboys are good. Eagles are inconsistent and Cowboys obviously have that extremely embarrassing loss to the Jets. But I think either of those teams could make a decent playoff run.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I think there's a good chance that the eventual NFCE playoff team is going to be the division winner that finishes worst than a team missing the playoffs this year.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

.500 division winner for lyfe

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I still remember how glorious it was for the 7-9 seahawks to host and beat the wildcard saints so yeah lets do if.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

is off the bone like off the hook?
Off......... the hook.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thebiglead/status/1191563494413328384

I know this is way too much to ask of the universe, but has this actually bitten Dean Spanos in the rear end? Did he actually lose a shitload of money by moving the Chargers?

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 5, 2019

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
https://twitter.com/mattlombardonfl/status/1191593220205154304?s=21

It’s time to bench Baker and Jenkins at this point. They drafted Julian Love and wasted a supplemental pick on Sam Beal, it’s time to see if they actually have anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Excuse the double post the forums seem to be wonky right now.

Also give Chad Slade a shot at LT, gently caress Nate Solder