Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit

barnold posted:

an ode to poem dome: the barnold trip report

o great poem dome
where rhymes are spitted and verses spat
born in 2019 and died mid-2020
what the hell is up with that

lots of nice poetry though
on a wide variety of different topics
to say that these are idle minds
would certainly be myopic

no one entered the most recent challenge
the host has pressed "abort"
that is the story of the poem dome
and thus, my trip report

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

take the moon posted:

later posts in the thread reveal that the author was ostracized from the Zelda community from having controversial views on 9/11

this has old BYOB mouseover text energy

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Fleta Mcgurn

Porpoise noise continues.
A trip report of 3D Printed Gun Stuff & Other DIY Projects from TFR:

I am the worst person to go through any gun-related thread for any reason. Insert "triggered" joke here!

The most interesting aspect of this thread for me was the legality of 3D-printing gun parts. I quote the OP:

OP posted:

If your eyes zoomed in on this part, you're not going to see 3D printed guns here. It can be perfectly legal to make your own guns (depending on location) but the reason you won't see any is because the worky bits of even a lovely 3D printed gun are still the same worky bits that actual guns use.

Okay, so, right off the bat: what the gently caress it's legal to make your own guns I will never, ever go back to the United States as long as I loving live.

They explain how 3D-printing works, which is cool, because in my experience, you have to find that 4th grader in charge of the elementary school's Tech Club and ask him how to use it. So now I don't need to ask you again if I ever see you again, Ayush!

They show off some cool things goons made, the only one of which I understand is this:

THE TACTI-SAC

tbh I just liked looking at the cool things goons designed and made. Ingenuity is wonderful.

This thread is great for anyone curious about 3D printing or CAD in general. I would say if you like guns, you will probably also like this thread, duh.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Entenzahn

erm... quack-ward

My TFR trip report
The thread is about a "submachine gun" (SMG) called MAC M11 that is very small. Personal protection is very important for children, especially when you have to fight an adult or your stupid older brother.

In the thread a lot of posters seems very excited about the small SMG, maybe because it is very hard to get because you need small factories to make it. There are a lot of accessories. You can use it normally like the gangsters in GTA or turn it into a rifle, and there is also a silencer. You can even turn it into a Tommy Gun. It seems very cool, because you can do so many things with just one gun, kind of like how you can play your Nintendo Switch on the TV or hold it like a gameboy.

There is a video of the OP firing the gun and it goes "BRRRT". In conclusion, the thread delivers on all of its promises. I very much enjoyed seeing the thread because everyone was very positive. It showed me that sometimes it is okay to enjoy the small things in life.

thank you Evan Jellicle for the honkin' rad holiday sig

copy rite by cda -> do not steal!

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
Plenty more threads going begging for those who want them! :hellyeah:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Will this make BYOB like me more?

sb hermit

Chewbecca posted:

Plenty more threads going begging for those who want them! :hellyeah:

ok if old friend is going in for another one then I think I can do another one too

although I may need some time before I can really finish it

sb hermit

Zurtilik posted:

you cannot grind faction rep in byob

everyone is always friendly and you do the quests for the storyline itself, not the reward at the turnin

although an epic trinket tag is always nice

Chewbecca

Zurtilik posted:

Subway Thread - debatably better than nothing, from The Cholesterol Clubhouse

Also we already like you friend!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Chewbecca

starbucks hermit posted:

ok if old friend is going in for another one then I think I can do another one too

although I may need some time before I can really finish it

This is my civic. There are many like it but this one is mine, from Automotive Insanity

sb hermit

This is a promising thread that just started about 3 days ago and already has a lot of progress!

What is it about? Restoring an inoperable car to a point where it can be taken to tracks and other events.

First pic:

After some cleaning:

Currently patching out rust:

I'll be monitoring this thread myself for quite awhile since this is fascinating to me.

What did I learn? To get rid of rust, you just need sheet metal, a welder (and the knowledge of how to use one), and a lot of elbow grease. Restoring a project car requires a lot of room, a lot of knowledge, and a lot of enthusiasm, and the AI subforum has all of that in spades! Except the room, and the equipment, which I assume you'll have to find on your own.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 26, 2020

Niric

Blackmore posted:

i’ve never posted in byob but this thread fascinated me endlessly. I would like to have a field trip. (no politix/rona please)

Me too, although I'm ok with politics & other dystopia topics

Jinh

I'll take another!

Chewbecca

Niric posted:

Me too, although I'm ok with politics & other dystopia topics

Procycling - The assassination of Philip Gilbert by the coward GVA, from Sports are Superspreading

Chewbecca

Jinh posted:

I'll take another!

Show us your bicycle: No, not like that, from The Great Outdoors

Zurtilik

Out of the corner of my eye I always thing Chewbacca's avatar is Mung Daal from Chowder.

Jinh

In this thread goons try to hide their bikes in the woods so other posters can find them, where's waldo style. nobody seems to be able to solve any of them. or maybe they're all posting outdoors and the glare on their phones makes it hard to see.

if your time is short to really peruse the bikefinding thread, heres a few good examples:

EASY

find it? good! theres actually a few bikes in this picture, a great way to get used to the general idea what a bike looks like. Coxswain Balls was even kind enough to post most of their bikes against a solid colored wall. Study well, and prepare for the trickier ones to come.

MEDIUM

There are a lot of things in this picture that will definitely distract you from your bikefinding, but believe it or not, the true neutral and neutral evil sections of this picture mostly contain a bike. it's especially hard to see it because it's perpendicular to the trail, while most bikes are parallel. VERY SNEAKY EvilJoven

HARD

if you pay attention to the various constellations DeesGrandpa has provided in this picture, the stars will actually point you to the bike. too bad for this poster who seemingly couldnt find it even after straining their eyes:
Nice Try, but you couldnt stump me this time.

INSANITy
the thread quickly devolved into trolling and some wise guys like Bottom Liner here are posting images without bikes in them, for jollies.

thanks so much cda <3

Niric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt0V0_1MS0Q

This year, I was a small but contributory factor in the global bike shortage. With all the enthusiatic zeal of a recent convert, I am now a cyclist and decidedly pro-cycling, with newly-tempered Opinions about bullshit street furniture, oblivious pedestrians and wanker motorists. This in no way prepared me for the procycling thread.

Procycling, as I best understand it, involves people on bikes competing to go long distances quickly, often up hills, often crashing, and often on drugs. Surprisingly however, the procyling thread has little to say about bikes or cycling or even racing as an activity.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's probably because the sport thread is an impossible-to-completely-follow mess of competing rights holders proper nouns, and also the residual effects of doping, and that it's a weird, notoriously beginner-unfriendly sport thread

There is the occassional philosophical riff in a more generalist vein - laments for the death of the sport as a spectator event, the etymology of "planimetry," "what is a prologue?" - but the first 7 pages or so is a cycle of name and place name, place name and name, capitalised words puncturing sentences grammatically sound yet incomprehensible:

serious gaylord posted:

the Vuelta is going up the Tourmalet and the Angliru is back.

Heliosicle posted:

What if this would've been a wet Roubaix year

paddyboat posted:

boonen getting pushed up the kreusberg

The Procycling thread is not about a sport, I realised, but a high fantasy novel. Suddenly it all made sense. The maps. The mountains. The monsters

Then, as is the way in high fantasy, a world-ending threat appeared. Covid-19 has, on balance, been less than ideal, but on the positive side it made the pro cylcing thread a lot more readable. With races cancelled discussion gear shifted from a tiring tread of named people and places to basic things an idiot like me could understand, questions like

Vando posted:

what the gently caress is this bollocks now?

or simple statements about the world that can be understood without reference to an appended character list, world map, or glossary of terms

moctopus posted:

Red and black is probably my favorite color combination ... but lots of people hate red and black together.

Sadly, all good things must end. With lockdown easing and races returning, the thread reverts to posts that, while surely meaningful and comprehensible to those who are pro-pro-cycling, are to the general reader mere glimpses into a bizarre, confusing and fantastical world. Bones are broken, ordeals are endured, drug tests are failed, all in submission to and reverence for The Tour, The Tour, The Tour...

take the moon

by sebmojo
haha i work in a bike store. the global bike shortage is all we talk about. i should really post in that thread

----------------

take the moon

by sebmojo
or i guess some bike thread

----------------

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Jinh posted:

In this thread goons try to hide their bikes in the woods so other posters can find them, where's waldo style. nobody seems to be able to solve any of them. or maybe they're all posting outdoors and the glare on their phones makes it hard to see.

if your time is short to really peruse the bikefinding thread, heres a few good examples:

EASY

find it? good! theres actually a few bikes in this picture, a great way to get used to the general idea what a bike looks like. Coxswain Balls was even kind enough to post most of their bikes against a solid colored wall. Study well, and prepare for the trickier ones to come.

MEDIUM

There are a lot of things in this picture that will definitely distract you from your bikefinding, but believe it or not, the true neutral and neutral evil sections of this picture mostly contain a bike. it's especially hard to see it because it's perpendicular to the trail, while most bikes are parallel. VERY SNEAKY EvilJoven

HARD

if you pay attention to the various constellations DeesGrandpa has provided in this picture, the stars will actually point you to the bike. too bad for this poster who seemingly couldnt find it even after straining their eyes:

INSANITy
the thread quickly devolved into trolling and some wise guys like Bottom Liner here are posting images without bikes in them, for jollies.

lmao

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN

Jinh posted:

EASY

MEDIUM

HARD

INSANITy

:five:

I think your report wins.

cda

by Hand Knit
lol @ this thread (look but dont touch please) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938264

e: its in fyad and the banners can be nsfw so be warned

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

cda posted:

lol @ this thread (look but dont touch please) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938264

e: its in fyad and the banners can be nsfw so be warned

Oops this was supposed to be in the chat thread

Chewbecca

cda posted:

Oops this was supposed to be in the chat thread

Trip report please! :eng101:

vanisher

Chewbecca posted:

Trip report please! :eng101:

Got em

Jinh

lmaoo

thanks so much cda <3

sb hermit

:same:

:same:

Thank You Card

I'm your only friend.
assign.me.something cool

dogs own

Chewbecca

Thank You Card posted:

assign.me.something cool

Insert coin to start: it's the arcade thread, from Retro Games

Thank You Card

I'm your only friend.

my first big thought was that this is oddly interesting and i wish i realized this sooner when i lived near a friend that built acrade cabinets. it seems interesting and i had no idea so many are easy to swap games. that seems like it'd be fun.

everyone really likes to show off their cabinets and im more jealous than I thought I'd be. if i had the money for this, this would be actual interesting to give building cabinets a shot. seems like a fun hobby. except for the fact that they post circuit boards that are very big and intimidating. between that and the people talking smart like they know things, i feel like this would be a hard one. im in the dark still somewhat with hardware and so im not sure this would be a great place to start. they also seem like hell if you ever plan on moving them or moving somewhere else in general. i do not envy that.

they like to talk in this absolutely absurd language where it's impossible to understand any of it unless you can speak MAME. at least they seem genuinely helpful with it.

they mention rhythm games which is unfortunate because i love rhythm games. i say unfortunate because im absurdly into rhythm games and so.it makes me crave to play them. but also im way too opinionated about rhythm games for that. i feel like im drowning in a strong desire to play ddr, sound voltex, and pop'n music. i want in on this

overall it's one interesting enough that it's the kind of thing id talk to people over as an interest. it's good. it's impossible to understand without knowing how to parse a lot of technical.

dogs own

Zurtilik

I have my Subway report half written and I just need to finish and submit and I guess I'm reserving this space for it now.

Chewbecca

Chewbecca is on the line, and ready to assign a thread to you :phoneb::phoneline::phone:

Fleta Mcgurn

Porpoise noise continues.
imma chew a new thread like you chew a becca HAVE AT ME

----------------

sb hermit

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Chewbecca

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

GameFAQs, from the Imp Zone

Chewbecca

Chinese Buffet Megathread: crabs legs are for dinner ONLY, from The Cholesterol Clubhouse

Niric

Chewbecca posted:

Chewbecca is on the line, and ready to assign a thread to you :phoneb::phoneline::phone:

Spin me a new thread, I'm ready to go forum explorin'

Chewbecca

Niric posted:

Spin me a new thread, I'm ready to go forum explorin'

Not all gold glitters: numismatics, paper money, bullion, and exonumia, from DIY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca

Trip report anyone? Got some still outstanding too :toughguy: