Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rhymenoserous posted:

I think I'm holding off. All the reports of "Empty world" bug me. I can live with Bethesda levels of jank if the world feels like it has it's own secrets to tell. Oh well.

FWIW it's not like Mad Max empty. You can't go 100 feet without something to fight, collect or explore. Given that it has a lot of underground sections, it seems pretty close to BOTW.
It's also a lot of fun to just run around looking at stuff.

Took my sweeeeeeet time going to the tree and did not expect a goddamn space ship

Edit:
I took the shortcut with doing conquests. Can you get the rest of the tribe weapons? I have the boomerang, staff and the pretty useless grapple gun.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

I think I'm holding off. All the reports of "Empty world" bug me. I can live with Bethesda levels of jank if the world feels like it has it's own secrets to tell. Oh well.

I wouldn't call the world empty, there are lots of ruins and they all have a name and a checklist of things to find or a boss to fight or whatever. Problem is, there's no variety. It's always the same loot, the same puzzles, the same enemies, etc. The most exciting thing in the game is the occasional boss fight with enemies who have swallowed keys to unlock very powerful weapons.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

everyone is talking about stuff the game does wrong but something it does right that kind of blows me away

once you get past the tutorial and side with one of the two first tribes you got a quest to capture 4 local outposts. ok so I walk towards an outpost and when I get there and get a fast travel point (so I feel no downside to loving off on a distraction) I keep walking off towards some interesting looking random poo poo which breadcrumbs me to a ramshackle house with some randoms living in it. they tell me about this guy who lives in a house that moves who knows the meaning of life or something. that gives me a sidequest to find this mysterious guy with wisdom. so I keep going way the gently caress out to this guy. I find his house and he tells me to go get some mutant carrot. the carrot is in a radioactive zone and when I get there the game adds a sidequest to find a detector for finding a rad suit. so I go way the gently caress off, again, where ive never been and find this radar dish ping thing. when I finally get there I find a door I can't open without upgrading my krowbar but it gives me a sidequest telling me where I can do that. so I go there and get another quest which is a collectathon deal - climb these places for me. I go do those so I can upgrade my krowbar, so I can appease my need to loot this door, so I can do the detector to find the rad suit. After doing all that and going back to get the carrot I can finally complete the moving house guys request and the game gives a really loving cool in game reward that isn't loot but actually made all that feel worth it.

anyway - im now 12hrs into the game and I still haven't done any of the outposts I was meant to have done and I keep finding things which send me around but none of it follows a set path. none of it was one village with a million ! marks that lead to exhaustion while collecting bear asses... and all this time the scenery changes dramatically and im getting XP and getting fat loot and leveling up and unlocking toys and none of it feels arduous or annoying.

I really feel like that is an achievement for an RPG.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
That sounds promising, I'd heard that sidequests could be bear asses equivalent for rare crafting loot you get loads of but I've only just started on one.

World wise it feels better than say, Rage 2 where the open world was pretty but filled with minimal generic content but it's no Bethesda game.

The main issue is that they overpriced the game by like $25. This is more of a $35.99 game, $60 is taking the piss.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 27, 2021

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Qmass posted:

everyone is talking about stuff the game does wrong but something it does right that kind of blows me away

once you get past the tutorial and side with one of the two first tribes you got a quest to capture 4 local outposts. ok so I walk towards an outpost and when I get there and get a fast travel point (so I feel no downside to loving off on a distraction) I keep walking off towards some interesting looking random poo poo which breadcrumbs me to a ramshackle house with some randoms living in it. they tell me about this guy who lives in a house that moves who knows the meaning of life or something. that gives me a sidequest to find this mysterious guy with wisdom. so I keep going way the gently caress out to this guy. I find his house and he tells me to go get some mutant carrot. the carrot is in a radioactive zone and when I get there the game adds a sidequest to find a detector for finding a rad suit. so I go way the gently caress off, again, where ive never been and find this radar dish ping thing. when I finally get there I find a door I can't open without upgrading my krowbar but it gives me a sidequest telling me where I can do that. so I go there and get another quest which is a collectathon deal - climb these places for me. I go do those so I can upgrade my krowbar, so I can appease my need to loot this door, so I can do the detector to find the rad suit. After doing all that and going back to get the carrot I can finally complete the moving house guys request and the game gives a really loving cool in game reward that isn't loot but actually made all that feel worth it.

anyway - im now 12hrs into the game and I still haven't done any of the outposts I was meant to have done and I keep finding things which send me around but none of it follows a set path. none of it was one village with a million ! marks that lead to exhaustion while collecting bear asses... and all this time the scenery changes dramatically and im getting XP and getting fat loot and leveling up and unlocking toys and none of it feels arduous or annoying.

THIS. The game is real good at just letting you do whatever, and still drawing you around the place organically without really forcing anything on you. It's got Skyrim's quality of non-main-quest stuff which is compelling enough to distract you for hours.

I saw an article on RPS I think which was trying to tell you the 7 ways to best enjoy this game, and one of the chief things was "there's a bunch of sidequests to find 5 gizmos, but don't mainline them, just do them whenever you run across them if you want, or ignore them totally, there's plenty of other loot", and i think that's good advice. Your sidequest list might be full of "Find 5 twing twangs" and "find 5 microwaves" and "Find 15 noticeboards", but I think the only fix needs to be that those should be on a separate list next to the sidequests list, some kind of "Old-World relics" list for checkbox exercises. Then suddenly the actually compelling side quest stuff shines through and the game looks 50% less dull without actually changing any of the content.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Carecat posted:

That sounds promising, I'd heard that sidequests could be bear asses equivalent for rare crafting loot you get loads of but I've only just started on one.

World wise it feels better than say, Rage 2 where the open world was pretty but filled with minimal generic content but it's no Bethesda game.

The main issue is that they overpriced the game by like $25. This is more of a $35.99 game, $60 is taking the piss.
Yeah, I agree. I´d like to support my fellow swedes but the game is grossly overpriced and I´ll hold off getting it until it drops down to the 30 euro range.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AirRaid posted:

THIS. The game is real good at just letting you do whatever, and still drawing you around the place organically without really forcing anything on you. It's got Skyrim's quality of non-main-quest stuff which is compelling enough to distract you for hours.

I saw an article on RPS I think which was trying to tell you the 7 ways to best enjoy this game, and one of the chief things was "there's a bunch of sidequests to find 5 gizmos, but don't mainline them, just do them whenever you run across them if you want, or ignore them totally, there's plenty of other loot", and i think that's good advice. Your sidequest list might be full of "Find 5 twing twangs" and "find 5 microwaves" and "Find 15 noticeboards", but I think the only fix needs to be that those should be on a separate list next to the sidequests list, some kind of "Old-World relics" list for checkbox exercises. Then suddenly the actually compelling side quest stuff shines through and the game looks 50% less dull without actually changing any of the content.

Exactly.

The game wants your to move from zone to zone exploring and doing whatever crops up, not teleporting around doing one list at a time.
The toxic carrot quest reward was AMAZING. I texted my friend when it happened because I couldn't believe what was going on.

I got this little thing that turn the Automaton in to a fancy gentleman.

Went in to a toxic zone with middling resistance and found that if you stand IN the pools of sludge, the meter goes down. Very stupid!

Also, PSI-Freaks become invincible so long as they have something to fight.
Their final perk heals them any time they dish out magic damage. Well, the wisp mutation counts and so long as I can hit stuff, I can't die.

Edit:
I do want to mention that PSI is a tad underwhelming. Granted, I don't have lightening, telekinesis or the sky laser yet but the skill offerings are kinda blah.
You get two dashes that are fine, an electricity ball that doesn't do much, a freeze field that only works sometimes and levitation that is neat but I don't get how it's useful. It's not flying, it's hovering a couple feet above the ground. You can't go over high-up gaps with it because you immediately plummet to that baseline height.

Still fun to put that on while firing wisps. Looks dope.

But none of the skills even come close to the damage I can lay out with a random gun I found kinda early on. What's more, I make a shotgun using all my best parts, it has a base damage of 500 and it is next to useless. Each pellet only does about 80 and hitting more than one is impossible unless the target is huge.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 27, 2021

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah the balance is... Bad. Guns are already the best way to attack and they ALSO have a class which DOUBLES their damage. I also started as a psi-guy and I have to say the single most useful Power ability is probably Mothmouth or whatever its called, the very first one that temporarily mind controls a small enemy. It helps take pressure off you in bigger fights which is incredibly welcome, even if the mind controlled enemy does absolute poo poo for damage. I honestly don't know why the balance in this game is so abysmal, surely they played their own game and could SEE that Psi needed bigger numbers, right?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah the balance is... Bad. Guns are already the best way to attack and they ALSO have a class which DOUBLES their damage. I also started as a psi-guy and I have to say the single most useful Power ability is probably Mothmouth or whatever its called, the very first one that temporarily mind controls a small enemy. It helps take pressure off you in bigger fights which is incredibly welcome, even if the mind controlled enemy does absolute poo poo for damage. I honestly don't know why the balance in this game is so abysmal, surely they played their own game and could SEE that Psi needed bigger numbers, right?

The common story is that some high-up shithead kept forcing development toward their vision at the cost of a fully rounded game. Maybe they'll patch it or maybe a mod community will pop up.

While I'm having a great time with this, I don't think a second playthrough will happen for a good while.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah, I'm also playing a Psi guy and most of the powers just completely fell off a cliff right at the start of the game. The lighting zap power was useful until I got my tribal boomerang, which does several times more damage than the zap. Or the wall of flame.

The most useful power I have is the one that shoots purple wisps at enemies, but even that suffers because it doesn't target stuff if you're not facing your enemy, so kiting is kinda ... difficult.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think the thought process was probably something like "Ranged weapons have no stat scaling like powers and melee, better give them big fat base numbers to compensate!" and so you need to dump like a couple hundred points into strength before they can theoretically compete.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Inzombiac posted:

The automaton turret, even with the upgrade, is awful.

It seems alright so far but I've only used it at the beginning against enemies around level 12-15. If it never scales at all I can imagine it'll be just about useless by the end

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This is like a perfect game to play while baked

Agreed it's just wacky, not overly complex, and pretty to look at. Some games get me too stressed out if I'm really high, don't see myself having that problem here.

Rhygezenguro posted:

I wouldn't call the world empty, there are lots of ruins and they all have a name and a checklist of things to find or a boss to fight or whatever. Problem is, there's no variety. It's always the same loot, the same puzzles, the same enemies, etc. The most exciting thing in the game is the occasional boss fight with enemies who have swallowed keys to unlock very powerful weapons.

I will say that the "puzzles" are an incredibly joke on the player. Whoever came up with that bullshit needs to be fired, they are all pathetically easy regardless of Intellect level (of your character, not you lol. you get more moves if your intellect is higher)

Qmass posted:

*words*

Agreed I often go haring off in random directions and end up with several sequential quests to do. Yeah the quests are mainly the same: go to place, fight thing, collect thing, do easy puzzle, rinse and repeat but whatever, I enjoy doing them. There was work put into crafting them, and moreover they help me discover new areas to do stuff in.

I've also heard that in some ways it is better to hold off on the outposts, so I haven't done the second one and I'm trying to do a bunch of other stuff first. Can't remember why but I'm gonna go with it and focus on side quests in the lower part of the map for a while.

Caidin posted:

I think the thought process was probably something like "Ranged weapons have no stat scaling like powers and melee, better give them big fat base numbers to compensate!" and so you need to dump like a couple hundred points into strength before they can theoretically compete.

A tip for you guys: DON'T select the Deadeye class if you want any challenge at all. I went with Saboteur, and I'm still making a mostly gun and psi based build, but if my gun did double damage it wouldn't be fun at all. Even on hard.

I just made a radioactive assault rifle that freaking owns though. First time I've really crafted a super successful gun and it instantly replaced my old one plus the tribal didgeridoo (I forgot the name for the thing you throw and it comes back).

I do agree with people saying that it's too expensive for them now. This game will probably be cheaper in a few months, or at the worst half a year. Just wait, it couldn't hurt. For me, I feel like I've already got my money's worth about 20% into the game but I like it unreasonably much despite its flaws.

Quick question for those a bit further than me: did you fully upgrade the various machines (Mektron, Googlide) before attacking the relevant worldeater or just go in with the janky versions? I think I could beat a worldeater or two at this point, but I'm curious what y'all did.

Play fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 27, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Also I think I'm gonna have to start killing captives or something because the next sci ability I really want is that dark one that strikes from the sky and requires tons of dark points, that thing looks awesome

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Play posted:

Also I think I'm gonna have to start killing captives or something because the next sci ability I really want is that dark one that strikes from the sky and requires tons of dark points, that thing looks awesome

Are you killing them? My honest impression is you free them but can choose to just punch them in the face on the way out because why not.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Caidin posted:

Are you killing them? My honest impression is you free them but can choose to just punch them in the face on the way out because why not.

Yeah, you're just decking them for being a bother. If you hang around, they chill out in the area for a bit.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Caidin posted:

I wasn't sure because I haven't done it yet lol. Good to know that you're just punching them in the face, they can take a few punches for the privilege of getting rescued and for me to get the powers I need to save the world. Take one for the team fella and DON'T whine about it

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Is anyone else running into an issue where your quick bar for healing items keeps changing? I can't tell if there's a specific logic to it, but I'll set like a small health pack to my favourites and when I bring up the consumables in battle, there'll be something completely different there.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 27, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yep, the only thing that stays in place are the health and DMG injectors.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

fancy stats posted:

Is anyone else running into an issue where your quick bar for healing items keeps changing? I can't tell if there's a specific logic to it, but I'll set like a small health pack to my favourites and when I bring up the consumables in battle, there'll be something complete different there.

Yeah when you use up a certain item in a slot I think they just stick the next things you pick up into the wheel. You can replace them by going into your inventory > consumables > press the left stick to favorite (I think that's how it goes anyways).

Luckily if you realize you don't have it you can just pause and fix it before continuing the fight.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Has anyone taken Turtle Form?
I don't see what the point of it is. Maybe you get so many bio points that it's just a fun gimmick?

I want to have more goof-around fun but having only one weapon worth a drat is stressful.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Reading what people are writing about the game in here is giving me strong Kingdoms of Amalur vibes. Right vibrant world, cool lore, piss easy combat. Which is sort of a shame because it sounds like what's there is fun, it's just a lot of things trivialize it pretty easily.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Saxophone posted:

Reading what people are writing about the game in here is giving me strong Kingdoms of Amalur vibes. Right vibrant world, cool lore, piss easy combat. Which is sort of a shame because it sounds like what's there is fun, it's just a lot of things trivialize it pretty easily.

I think the combat is piss easy for very specific builds and kind of a pain for everyone else. It hasn't hit a good balance of power and challenge.

A recent dev interview said that they know it's an issue and will put out a patch addressing it along with a higher difficulty option and maybe even a hardcore mode.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think the combat system is terrible, it just takes some getting used to. There's no lock-in, so some of your shots are going to miss BUT I like that.
It's not interesting in a shooter where you can lock on and every gun becomes a laser. It's all very fast-paced and sometimes frantic and imperfect, which I like.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think the combat system is terrible, it just takes some getting used to. There's no lock-in, so some of your shots are going to miss BUT I like that.
It's not interesting in a shooter where you can lock on and every gun becomes a laser. It's all very fast-paced and sometimes frantic and imperfect, which I like.

Same, I like it. With the caveat that it is unfortunate how disincentivized melee is. I still use it, because it's fun and I want to (also because I need its special move to get super wung fu mode) but it would be more effective to just strafe while shooting guns and using powers. Nailing counters/blocks is also a little wonky although rewarding, because when you get one you can blast your enemy into the sky and unload on them while they're up there.

With a squishy character on hard mode, it's not "easy" at all because you take a lot of damage and the enemies often have ranged or charge attacks. However, if you take the deadeye character and get the ranged +50% or whatever it is (and just sit back plugging enemies endlessly) it's probably too easy even on hard I would imagine. Basically there are some conscious choices you can make to get the combat to be more fun and rewarding, although of course that wouldn't be necessary if the balance was a bit better.

Comparing it to Kingdoms of Alamur is super lol. The combat is so much more dynamic than that absolutely laughable system even if it could benefit from some tweaks

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Also, can we appreciate the STAGGERING amount of enemy designs?

Of course they all boil down in to broad types but I'm 20 hours in and every fight has something new, it's incredible.

I was messing around in a cave when I was ambushed by a giant moss lizard and his band of stone carrot people. Just bonkers poo poo that keeps me smiling.

Edit: BOTW is an all-time, of course, but there's like 6 enemy types and once you've seen them that's it. They don't really change except getting a new color and more health.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 27, 2021

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
well my 4 year old daughter is over the moon about this game so we'll definitely play it but it was more janky and less well designed than I'd have hoped for, for my own sake hah

the real big hits for us so far have been horizon zero dawn or for her "the brave girl who fights robot dinosaurs" (which I thought was fantastic, gameplay and story wise) and final fantasy XV or for her "the super hero boys who are on an adventure in their car" (which I thought was fine) so this is the low point for "games to play 30-45 minutes at a time every other evening or so" and I won't keep playing it after putting her to bed like the other two - but hey if she's happy so am I!

edit: dadgaming lifestyle represent

Martout fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 28, 2021

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Play posted:

Yeah when you use up a certain item in a slot I think they just stick the next things you pick up into the wheel. You can replace them by going into your inventory > consumables > press the left stick to favorite (I think that's how it goes anyways).

Luckily if you realize you don't have it you can just pause and fix it before continuing the fight.

That is... a wild design choice.

I'm enjoying this game so far and I absolutely love the world they've built, but man it feels like I am fighting the UI at times.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

fancy stats posted:

That is... a wild design choice.

I'm enjoying this game so far and I absolutely love the world they've built, but man it feels like I am fighting the UI at times.

For the longest time I could not for the life of me figure out how to equip/craft ranged weapons because I was looking for a separate element on the character for ranged. When actually you just select either hand then press RB to move over to ranged, lol.

It can also be hard to keep straight when you are supposed to press your stick to the side, or press LB/RB, or press right trigger/left trigger, in order to move around the menu.

Definitely some unintuitive choices there, at least for me

boz
Oct 16, 2005
If the Platinum / Last Achievement for this game isn't called "To Wong-Fu, Thanks for Everything" I'm gonna be upset.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I crafted a melee weapon that, when you kill an enemy with it, gives you the damage done back as health which finally seems to make melee totally viable even on hard diff

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Play posted:

I crafted a melee weapon that, when you kill an enemy with it, gives you the damage done back as health which finally seems to make melee totally viable even on hard diff

tell me more of this excalipurr

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Are there any locations that require one of the platforming jump skills

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Are there any locations that require one of the platforming jump skills

Like, that mushroom thing?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Play posted:

Like, that mushroom thing?

Um, yeah. Isn't there one more, thats a psi skill? I can't check right now. I vaguely remember being in a cave and I couldn't jump up to some ledge but I dunno if I was supposed to be able to or not.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Um, yeah. Isn't there one more, thats a psi skill? I can't check right now. I vaguely remember being in a cave and I couldn't jump up to some ledge but I dunno if I was supposed to be able to or not.

There's a PSI levitate but you hover just a bit off the ground, lower than a double jump.

I think I saw that cave earlier. There's a small section on the right you can stand on to get up there but it's just a Superb chest. No biggie.
It doesn't look like you should be able to get up at all and what I did was absolutely cheese.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I don't think I've had my feelings on a game swing more wildly than this one has. Was incredibly hyped coming in, played the first hour and thought "Well, this is pretty mediocre and that's really disappointing." Went to work, came back that night, got another 5-6 hours in and thought "Okay, this is salvageable - world feels a little empty and combat a little floaty but I can get my money's worth out of this" to, after another 6 hours last night thinking "This is flawed, but has a lot of little surprises and is MUCH better than most reviewers are giving it credit for and will probably be a bit of a cult classic down the line."

The black and white system sucks, the world could use a LITTLE more life, the combat tuning can feel all over the place, the narrator is pretty lame (in English), etc., etc. but there's also just a certain crazy-good appeal to how the game takes you down a rabbit hole on some of its sidequests and surprises you with how good it makes you feel in those sequences. Just stumbling into a deserted town and finding a secret door in a basement can pretty much turn into half an evening's play in terms of running through one or two sidequests that will eventually get you to unlock it and maybe open up another quest besides.

I don't know if Experiment 101 will get a chance to significantly patch this game or support it with DLC. I definitely hope so. I can *totally* understand how reviewers I respect would turn this off after two hours. It starts off, as folks have already pointed out, on absolutely the wrong foot and sure doesn't seem to promise much. It definitely has some design roots in stuff that's 10 years outdated at least. But man, give this game's alchemy a bit of a chance to bubble and it starts to be really satisfying in ways that objectively "better" games just haven't been for me so far this year.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My general feelings are that I hope this sold well enough for them to make a sequel, spiritual or otherwise.

If they were run by a competent director, I think the game would be beloved.

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
I'm only two or so hours into this game but this is probably the first real Eurojank game in a while. Karma system, open world, supremely ambitious, weirdly obtuse and complicated subsystems, factions, a silly amount of guns/weaponry (though I guess the majority you find are randomly generated). I wouldn't be surprised if one of the tribes you meet later on is just a communist faction, then we'll really be in business :v:

I'm wondering if the game is going to pull the ol' "well, you did the good thing, but it actually made a bad thing happen!" karma system trick that games like this tend to try. I joined the Myriad because, well, I figured restoring the Tree of Life was going to be my goal in the first place, and the other guys seemed like the opposite of what I wanted to do, so why would I join them? But then the game tried to sow doubt that they'd be the right choice, so I won't be surprised if I accidentally end up creating an ethnostate or something by joining the good guys. Though, even though this game Extremely has a karma system, I guess it doesn't really mean much? On my way to the Myriad fort there was a tussle between them and the Bad Guy Faction, and I killed the Myriads thinking they were a bad guy. Then I got to the fort and felt really stupid, but it didn't affect my standing with them or my Dark/Light in the slightest.

Like I said I'm not super far in but this feels...fine. I didn't follow this game's development at all and I figured it'd be one of those thing's that'd get quietly canceled or the development studio would shutter, so it's cool seeing it get released! I'm guessing it's fairly Okay from the reviews I've seen, but I haven't seen anything that's turned off yet.

SetSliRol fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 28, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SetSliRol posted:

I'm only two or so hours into this game but this is probably the first real Eurojank game in a while. Karma system, open world, supremely ambitious, weirdly obtuse and complicated subsystems, factions, a silly amount of guns/weaponry (though I guess the majority you find are randomly generated). I wouldn't be surprised if one of the tribes you meet later on is just a communist faction, then we'll really be in business :v:

I'm wondering if the game is going to pull the ol' "well, you did the good thing, but it actually made a bad thing happen!" karma system trick that games like this tend to try. I joined the Myriad because, well, I figured restoring the Tree of Life was going to be my goal in the first place, and the other guys seemed like the opposite of what I wanted to do, so why would I join them? But then the game tried to sow doubt that they'd be the right choice, so I won't be surprised if I accidentally end up creating an ethnostate or something by joining the good guys. Though, even though this game Extremely has a karma system, I guess it doesn't really mean much? On my way to the Myriad fort there was a tussle between them and the Bad Guy Faction, and I killed the Myriads thinking they were a bad guy. Then I got to the fort and felt really stupid, but it didn't affect my standing with them or my Dark/Light in the slightest.

Like I said I'm not super far in but this feels...fine. I didn't follow this game's development at all and I figured it'd be one of those thing's that'd get quietly canceled or the development studio would shutter, so it's cool seeing it get released! I'm guessing it's fairly Okay from the reviews I've seen, but I haven't seen anything that's turned off yet.

Dark/Light only changes in very specific and scripted circumstances, like rescuing people without bitchslapping them and other pretty obvious moments that will happen in dialogue where you are given the option to say a normal thing or be Raccoon Hitler. And as far as I can tell the only real purpose is to get dark or light points for the psi powers you need, which are gated depending on the points you have (although each adds up independently, getting a dark point won't take away your light points).

It probably does effect some dialogue as well, or maybe not, but I am wondering whether if I go dark (because I want that skyspark dammit) I can still save everyone and the world tree and everything? Still get the good ending?

And yeah, I think if you didn't have unreasonable expectations it's been pretty successful. I will gladly admit that it should be 35-40 bucks, not 60 at all, but that happens all the time and doesn't upset me too much. The game gives me a sense of wonder and a bit of excitement which is what I want. And it could've easily been a massive failure full of jank, I mean these people brought us Just Cause 4 didn't they?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Memnaelar posted:

I don't know if Experiment 101 will get a chance to significantly patch this game or support it with DLC.

I keep seeing "BIG PATCH INCOMING" youtube recommendations so I'm waiting for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Play posted:

Dark/Light only changes in very specific and scripted circumstances, like rescuing people without bitchslapping them and other pretty obvious moments that will happen in dialogue where you are given the option to say a normal thing or be Raccoon Hitler. And as far as I can tell the only real purpose is to get dark or light points for the psi powers you need, which are gated depending on the points you have (although each adds up independently, getting a dark point won't take away your light points).

It probably does effect some dialogue as well, or maybe not, but I am wondering whether if I go dark (because I want that skyspark dammit) I can still save everyone and the world tree and everything? Still get the good ending?

That's what I'm doing and it definitely seems possible and does affect dialogue. After joining the Myriad there was some dialogue about my negative outlook being a good balance for their positive one. But the dialogue has also broken a few times so far with people commenting that I'm trying to speed up the worlds collapse when I very much am not.

I'm wondering where the Myriad plot goes right now since you can point out that they're hypocrites who are pretty much forcing their viewpoint through conquest and subjugation and they're just like 'Fair' which is an interesting choice.