Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

chaleski posted:

I'll believe it when Nick is locked in the cage

Same tbh. Looking forward to the media poo poo. New anxious nick content??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Southpaugh posted:

Can't believe nick Robbie 2 is happening.

for real. as far as i'm aware that's the only fight in cage or on streets wearing cycling shoes that he's specifically said he'd never do again.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

nordichammer posted:

I will throw Barboza name in the ring.

also, yeah, and i still believe he could beat anyone on his best day. poo poo when he fought khabib he even hit him with a kick that would have killed a bull stone dead but yeah, khabib.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lucasar posted:

I think Chad Mendes and Yoel Romero and Joe Benavidez all kinda loom in my mind as guys who fairly decisively beat their entire divisions but could not get it done against Aldo, Whittaker, and Mighty Mouse respectively.

If we allow interim champs, then we gotta acknowledge Poirier and Ferguson as well.

And while he's certainly not the best UFC fighter to never be champion, I think Demian Maia deserves honorable mention for a ridiculously long and consistent career. He's one of the few guys to have title challenges in separate weight classes as a result of his sustained success in each, rather than name value in one translating to favorable booking in the other. Granted, both of his title challenges were a bit pathetic.

Also Overeem is a guy who I think of as a better heavyweight than most of the UFC's actual heavyweight champions.
The Mendes Aldo 2 fight is still one of the best fights of all time. They took years off each others lives in that one.

John Fitch is probably up there too. He was on a 22 fight run over 7 years where the only guy he couldn't beat was George St Pierre. Rory McDonald too probably deserves a mention. He was a shattered face and about 2 mins away from beating Robbie Lawler in their 2nd fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gus maybe deserves a nod. Rumble and Chael too. The Thiago Alves who fought GSP was amazing, even if he fell off after that. Chris Lytle?

Matt Brown is one of the coolest, if not the best, never to get a title shot.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Jon Fitch and Kenny Florian

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's best for a past era, but Pedro Rizzo deserves a nod. Humiliated multiple champions, beat the poo poo out of Josh Barnett when he was young and unstoppable and came absolutely razor-close to taking the belt off Randy before he fell off/the sport caught up.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Troy Queef posted:

i said this last night in the FN thread, but holy poo poo 266 is an absurd card. i mean, this is just the prelims:

Manon Fiorot vs Mayra Bueno Silva
Roxy Modafferi vs Tatiana Santos
Shamil Abdurakhimov vs Actual Cop Chris Daukaus
Dan Hooker vs Nasrat Haqparast
Marlon Moraes vs Merab Dvalishvili

the main card, by the way:
Jessica Andrade vs Cynthia Calvillo
Curtis Blaydes vs Jairzinho Rozenstruik (because if you can't beat Lewis or Gane, just fight each other)
Nick Diaz vs Robbie Lawler (5 round special attraction)
Valentina Shevchenko vs Lauren Murphy for WFlyW gold
Alex Volkanovski vs Brian Ortega for MFeaW gold

lol i have a 4pm wedding that day (ufc starts at 10am for me).

thinking i'll do my usual brunch watch at the pub and still have enough time to get ready for the wedding

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Nick Diaz fighting in 2021 may be my first PPV buy in over a year, never mind that his opponent is Robbie.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I am very excited to see some old favorites fighting, but I'm ready for heartbreak.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I thought not taking robbie lawler punches was one of nick's priorities in life. they're not good for your head

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

making money after not doing his job for 5 years is probs his other priority

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

making money after not doing his job for 5 years is probs his other priority

i very much doubt he needs the money, he has his own academy he's been running for like a decade now

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

one thing i learned about capitalism is that people who dont need more money want more money the most

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

i think he just wants people to cheer his name again

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

crepeface posted:

lol i have a 4pm wedding that day (ufc starts at 10am for me).

thinking i'll do my usual brunch watch at the pub and still have enough time to get ready for the wedding

Sweet man keep us posted

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I mean, the money isn't going to hurt and it's not like the guy has ever been out of martial arts or gets unfit between fights.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pfizer fda approved now. Surely this will change the minds of skeptical Americans who were gravely concerned over the safety risks, patiently waiting so that our regulatory bodies c-
https://twitter.com/mmamania/status/1429933918069870596?s=20

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm not surprised. Recent history has shown that Michael Chandler can't take a shot.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Ruthless

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is what they mean when they say it's the rounds of sparring that take your chin.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS3wl3tD2zy/?utm_medium=copy_link

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm not surprised. Recent history has shown that Michael Chandler can't take a shot.

That's a good one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/jonjones/status/1430213497619587074

Schaub clearly hires people for his production company who are exactly the same caliber of intellect as him.

edit: top banter

https://twitter.com/jonjones/status/1430238534254821378

Memento fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 25, 2021

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Shoulda booked it and shown up imho

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

blue check jon jones posts about ramen and stuff all the time. he'd have made a better guest than fighter jon jones, unless you gave him a lot of coke and had him drive the food truck i guess

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Real Jon Jones is a pro twitter follow and much better than mma Jon Jones.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I’m not sure that I’ll be able to watch this but I’ll do a breakdown anyway

All of this is on ESPN/ESPN+

:frogsiren: Featherweight Edson Barboza vs Giga Chikadze
Barboza is the grand ol kickfighter of the Lightweight division. He has had some career resurgence after moving down to featherweight. He’s on a two-fight streak now, most recently KOing the always extremely tough Shane Burgos late in the fight. Giga is a more recent addition to the kickfighting roster, a Georgian running 6-0 since his promotional debut. He has been getting progressively better – two split decisions, then two unanimous decisions, and then two TKOs. He put Cub Swanson away in a round with a liver shot.

Barboza is the more violent of the two, with a really good low and middle kicking game (he has more non headkick kick KOs/TKOs than anyone else in UFC history), and he just seems to hit harder. Giga is probably the better in a pure kickboxing context. This fight is a banger.

Middleweight Bryan Battle vs Gilbert Urbina
This is a Tuf final! I don’t know either fighter: I followed this through LobsterMobster’s recap posts. Urbina, however, is a late replacement who lost in the semifinals. From what I saw in the breakdowns, Bryan Battle should be the favourite and he had more finishes than most. I welcome any kind of breakdown from someone who knows these fighters.

Bantamweight Ricky Turcios vs Brady Hiestand
See above – also a TUF final. I don’t have any useful info about either. I could look up their Tapology pages but that’s often not a good indicator after they’ve gone through a TUF tournament, since in young fighters that typically causes a lot of growth.

LobsterMobster posted:

Based on TUF:

Andre Petroski is a wrestler with decent submission skills as well. His standup isn't great, but isn't putrid, either.

Michael Gillmore is the guy they brought on to replace an injured Miles Hunsinger, and he got submitted nearly instantly. I expect Petroski to do the same to Gillmore in this one.

Brady Hiestand's well-rounded. His striking is good, his grappling is good. His sem-final match against Vincent benefited from Murdock blowing out his knee early, but against Rettinghouse, Brady showed some solid skills.

Ricky Turcios has decent striking, and he does well behind his jab. His defense is solid, he's got nice kicks. On the grappling side, he's shown to be very active on bottom, looking for submissions, or just throwing elbows. His wrestling is fine, and his submission game isn't bad, either. He also likes to do hadoukens when he wins, and sometimes will feint at his opponent and yell "ablooga blooga" to get a reaction (This has not worked in either of his TUF bouts)

Bryan Battle has shown some really good takedown defense and an ability to get back up if he does get taken down. He throws a lot of knees from the clinch and has decent kicks.

Gilbert Urbina's run on TUF was hard to judge. His first fight was against Gillmore up there, who didn't put up much resistance. Gilbert did show good grappling in getting the submission so quickly, though. Against Gore, Urbina's striking was ok, but nothing too great, and Gore's power was too much.
edit: THANKS! :peanut:

:shrug: Welterweight Kevin Lee vs Daniel Rodriguez
Lee is in a position where he’s on the precipice of being reclassified as a “journeyman” instead of a “contender.” He needs this win. He’s a powerful wrestler and puncher whose peak so far was losing a lightweight interim title fight to Tony Ferguson. Since then he has gone 2-3, with some big KOs, some defeats to the scale, and some submission losses. This is his second attempt at welterweight after getting choked out by RDA (also a lightweight). Rodriguez is a big puncher with neck tattoos. He has KOs of Dwight Grant and Preston Parsons, but also a (fun) decision loss to Nicolas Dalby. This fight might be really good, but it also might be really bad, and it might be really sad. I see very little chance of this being merely OK.

Middleweight Andre Petroski vs Michael Gillmore
Is this a TUF alternate fight? Petroski is an LFA guy coming off of a loss. Gillmore is also making his debut.

:siren:Middleweight Makhmud Muradov vs Gerald Meerschaert:sax:
Muradov is an Uzbek prospect who is 3-0 in the UFC with wins over strong opposition. (He’s not the central Asian prospect who has me really excited – that’s Rakhmonov, just in case you get confused like I did). His most recent win was Andrew Sanchez. Meerschart, a nearly pure grappler, is our sax playing hero, but he’s probably a step down from Sanchez for Muradov. Meerschart’s last win was a submission of Bartsz Fabinski (since released) to bounce back after his one-sided KO drubbing vs Khamzat.

Prelims
:siren:Middleweight Alessio Di Chirico vs Abdul Razak Alhassan
Di Chirico is an Italian kickboxer and an under-performer in the UFC. He snapped a 3-fight streak (including losses to Holland and Muradov, above) with a spectacular KO of Joaquin Buckley. Alhassan is a big striker who is on a 3-fight skid. He also misses weight and assaults women.

:freep: Middleweight Sam Alvey vs Wellington Turman
Sam Alvey once had good fights and won them. Now he has bad fights and loses them. He is winless in his last six. Why is he still around, you may ask? Well because he poo poo talks unions. His last fight was a technical submission loss to Julian Marquez. The UFC matching him up with Turman might be a gimmie, though: Turman is 1-3 in the UFC and has been KOed twice straight, including in June, when he got smashed by Bruno Silva in the guard. He probably shouldn’t be fighting, but it’s not as if Alvey will actually throw any punches.

Light Heavyweight Dustin Jacoby vs Darren Stewart
Jacoby is a comeback trail guy: he had a bad UFC run, went to the hinterlands, and became a quite good kickboxer. He is 2-0-1 since fighting his way back in through DWCS. His last fight was a draw against Ion Cutelaba, who is tough. Darren Stewart is a British punchman who has drifted up from Middleweight. He’s winless in his last 3.

Flyweight JJ Aldrich vs Vanessa Demopoulos
Aldritch is an Invicta alum who has had mixed results in the UFC since making her debut as a young 4-1 prospect. Her last fight was a split decision vs Cortney Casey. Demopoulos is a debuting former LFA Strawweight champ who uses an unfortunate amount of “Spartan” imagery in her whole thing. Her claim to fame is a come-from-behind Toby Imada-esque inverted triangle vs Sam Hughes. Unfortunately, Sam Hughes had beaten the poo poo out of her for four rounds, and Sam Hughes is now 0-2 in the UFC.

Featherweight Jamall Emmers vs Pat Sabatini
Sabatini is an LFA alum who is a quite strong wrestler/grappler. In his debut, he took a lopsided decision over Canadian journeyman Tristan Connelly. Sabatini is one to watch. Emmers is also an LFA alum, but he’s 1-1 in the UFC with a split decision loss to headliner Giga and a bounce-back UD win which I don’t remember. Do you remember, though when Chas Skelly was already in the cage when his fight was cancelled? Emmers was his opponent who had a back spasm in the tunnel.

Bantamweight Mana Martinez vs Guido Cannetti
Martinez is a dude who got finished on DWCS in September 2020. He’s making his debut. Cannetti is an Argentinian non-winner TUF Latin America 2014 who is 2-4 in the UFC since then. This is one of those poo poo fights that probably should be happening in a B-league promotion, but in this case the fact that it’s on the card means that maybe these fights will still be going when I get home so I can see the main event.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 25, 2021

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Based on TUF:

Andre Petroski is a wrestler with decent submission skills as well. His standup isn't great, but isn't putrid, either.

Michael Gillmore is the guy they brought on to replace an injured Miles Hunsinger, and he got submitted nearly instantly. I expect Petroski to do the same to Gillmore in this one.

Brady Hiestand's well-rounded. His striking is good, his grappling is good. His sem-final match against Vincent benefited from Murdock blowing out his knee early, but against Rettinghouse, Brady showed some solid skills.

Ricky Turcios has decent striking, and he does well behind his jab. His defense is solid, he's got nice kicks. On the grappling side, he's shown to be very active on bottom, looking for submissions, or just throwing elbows. His wrestling is fine, and his submission game isn't bad, either. He also likes to do hadoukens when he wins, and sometimes will feint at his opponent and yell "ablooga blooga" to get a reaction (This has not worked in either of his TUF bouts)

Bryan Battle has shown some really good takedown defense and an ability to get back up if he does get taken down. He throws a lot of knees from the clinch and has decent kicks.

Gilbert Urbina's run on TUF was hard to judge. His first fight was against Gillmore up there, who didn't put up much resistance. Gilbert did show good grappling in getting the submission so quickly, though. Against Gore, Urbina's striking was ok, but nothing too great, and Gore's power was too much.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

CommonShore posted:

:shrug: Welterweight Kevin Lee vs Daniel Rodriguez
Lee is in a position where he’s on the precipice of being reclassified as a “journeyman” instead of a “contender.” He needs this win. He’s a powerful wrestler and puncher whose peak so far was losing a lightweight interim title fight to Tony Ferguson. Since then he has gone 2-3, with some big KOs, some defeats to the scale, and some submission losses. This is his second attempt at welterweight after getting choked out by RDA (also a lightweight). Rodriguez is a big puncher with neck tattoos. He has KOs of Dwight Grant and Preston Parsons, but also a (fun) decision loss to Nicolas Dalby. This fight might be really good, but it also might be really bad, and it might be really sad. I see very little chance of this being merely OK.

This reminds me of this Kevin Lee quote that I don't think anyone talked about here.
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/8/...ht-ufc-mma-news

quote:

“The only fight I will come back for is the Oliveira rematch. I feel like I deserve that fight. That would’ve been a good one to have so if he racks up a couple more and we’ll see how that plays out. If they offer me that fight, I’ll go back down to fight Oliveira, but nobody else, though.”

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Shoulda booked it and shown up imho

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Schaub had heard Chandler vieing for his crown as dumbest gently caress so he had to make something happen to keep him in contention

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

Who is the best UFC fighter to never be champion? I'm still pinning it on Korean Zombie, Hendo and Rory Mac

it's Chad Mendes. That dude was a loving freak and I'm sad we never get to see him beat the poo poo out of Conor on a full camp, which he absolutely would have done. Him vs. Holloway would have been a loving rad fight too.

On the plus side, he's mostly just enjoying retirement and doing camping and fishing, which is nice. I think he might be doing bare knuckle too.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm sad we never get to see him beat the poo poo out of Conor on a full camp

I put $100 on Chad for that fight because I thought it was a sure thing. I never had any desire to see a rematch.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i had 500 on a lawler / chad parlay and i was feeling pretty good about it for 7ish rounds of a possible 10. chad did really well for a short notice no-camp fight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mewse posted:

I put $100 on Chad for that fight because I thought it was a sure thing. I never had any desire to see a rematch.

You have no desire to see a rematch between the guy with the infinite gas tank who, on short notice, collapsed against the fence from exhaustion in the second round against the guy who looks like poo poo after the first half of the second round? weird.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

You have no desire to see a rematch between the guy with the infinite gas tank who, on short notice, collapsed against the fence from exhaustion in the second round against the guy who looks like poo poo after the first half of the second round? weird.

Didn't Chad piss hot after that though? Having to lay off the PEDs might have reduced his gas tank.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Chad$ popped for hgh and blamed it on a prescription foot cream, but the levels in his system were more consistent with him swimming in a pool filled with it instead.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yeah it was clearly him trying to heal up some stuff and take one last shot at MMA before he retired.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr. Nice! posted:

Chad$ popped for hgh and blamed it on a prescription foot cream, but the levels in his system were more consistent with him swimming in a pool filled with it instead.

I mean, those pictograms lurking in the Olympic pool can really sneak up on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Chads short camp for the conor fight is just one more beautiful detail in mcgregors sleazy rise to the top.