Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I suspect Putin over estimated the morale of his forces while greatly underestimating the resolve and bravery of the Ukrainians. I would love to be a fly on the wall for the meetings of either country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

orange juche posted:

Something definitely got hit or disturbed big time by the reactors, didn't they say that there were explosives or something used in the vicinity of ChNPP?

As several people have pointed out, 65535 is the max value of a 16 bit int, so it's a bit of a

moment

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

Things are bad in Kyiv, but the military and the populace's morale is high according to social media, which bodes ill for anyone expecting to subjugate Ukraine any time soon. They're going to make Russia pay for every inch, and insurgencies can be very, very effective, just ask the Taliban.

It's also a pretty large city, geographically speaking. So far it looks like they're moving in from one of the northernmost neighborhoods but they're far from occupying the whole city.

Based upon some sources quoted by the BBC and Guardian, the bridge demo was a delaying action to let them get troops in place to hit the Russian armor as it gets channeled into the city, forcing them to fight on foot and sacrifice their mechanized advantage. Russia is reporting that they've seized Hostomel, though, which isn't good (if true).

Speaking of - apparently they launched a large airborne insertion on the airfield this morning to retake it. I'm wondering if the plane shot down was a troop transport? Would make sense given how low and slow it was going.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Xakura posted:

As several people have pointed out, 65535 is the max value of a 16 bit int, so it's a bit of a

moment

Yeah I thought about that, thinking "that seems a little low for the intensity of fighting that was described as happening there" Absolutely huge 3.6 Roentgen energy.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

an air wing of mercenary fighter pilots

given our clean history with PMCs I can't see the problem with that at all!

The irony is that Russia/Warpac countries did exactly that with hilarious regularity during the Cold War, but I'm not familiar with any examples of the US doing the reverse during the same.

All kinds of accounts of East Germans or Poles flying during the Arab-Israeli conflicts.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 25, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I'm uncertain how much, if at all, I trust the info coming from cspam, so I won't share anything. I do hope that what is being posted regarding the situation is propaganda and things aren't as bad in Kiev, but I guess time will tell.

Reminder that this was the tankie thought process:

When the USA came out months ago and said “Russia is staging troops to invade Ukraine” they said that the US and NATO was trying to force Russia into a war by saying stuff like that.

In the past few weeks when everyone outside of Russia was saying russian invasion was imminent, they again said adamantly there would be no invasion and that this was NATO trying to force Russia into an attack plus Ukraine is ran by nazis installed after a NATO backed coup.

When Russia actually invaded they were shocked and again blamed NATO for forcing Russia’s hand. At no point could anything be blamed on Russia. Then Tenement Funster poo poo all over them for a couple hours for being idiots and mods banned making fun of tankies for all their pre-invasion horseshit.

You have to remember that within c-spam there are ironic tankies and actual tankies that believe whatever RT puts out. The place is a good news aggregator, but holy poo poo some of the takes in there are nuts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://youtu.be/jWGwRW5tbqA

Someone is about to experience Javelin bukkake.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Art/comments/t0mib4/putin_me_photography_2022/ Pro click.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mr. Nice! posted:

When the USA came out months ago and said “Russia is staging troops to invade Ukraine” they said that the US and NATO was trying to force Russia into a war by saying stuff like that.

In the past few weeks when everyone outside of Russia was saying russian invasion was imminent, they again said adamantly there would be no invasion and that this was NATO trying to force Russia into an attack plus Ukraine is ran by nazis installed after a NATO backed coup.

When Russia actually invaded they were shocked and again blamed NATO for forcing Russia’s hand. At no point could anything be blamed on Russia. Then Tenement Funster poo poo all over them for a couple hours for being idiots and mods banned making fun of tankies for all their pre-invasion horseshit.

You have to remember that within c-spam there are ironic tankies and actual tankies that believe whatever RT puts out. The place is a good news aggregator, but holy poo poo some of the takes in there are nuts.

What. I'm trying to understand the logic here.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shooting Blanks posted:

That’s your problem, there is none.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shooting Blanks posted:

The US is bad, therefore our enemies are always good?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Cspam is the radical left wing equivalent of TruthMedia or whatever right wing social media utopia Trump wants and tbh cspam existing is a liability to peoples’ mental health and shouldnt exist anymore.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think to an extent this is true, almost nobody outside NATO hawk circles thought Putin was dumb enough to take the bait. In the last couple weeks it seemed like there was a huge shift in tone with Zilensky when he started to be like "okay calm down" when like the Atlantic council kept predicting the attack several times per week and it started to impact the economy, and even Biden and UK/German officials seemed to change the tone to one that was more even until the last minute when Putin suddenly started those bizarre press conferences.

Of course that's pretty much entirely on Putin, I don't think there's really much anyone besides him could have reasonably done in the last couple months besides totally roll over that would have prevented an invasion. Putin's actions plus his unwillingness to compromise put him in this situation.

Though it seems really poorly planned, like Putin has some sort of chessmaster plan dreamed up in his head that ran into reality and prompted him to order the invasion instead.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 25, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Like what is Russia's endgame here? I can't imagine them holding areas outside the breakaway republics long but then what is the point of invading if they don't?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Like what is Russia's endgame here? I can't imagine them holding areas outside the breakaway republics long but then what is the point of invading if they don't?

Force a peace treaty that includes creating a puppet government.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Smash Ukraine's military so they're at your mercy for a decade, make an example by humiliating them, grab some territory to fill that sad postimperial void inside sad old Putin

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

boop the snoot posted:

Cspam is the radical left wing equivalent of TruthMedia or whatever right wing social media utopia Trump wants and tbh cspam existing is a liability to peoples’ mental health and shouldnt exist anymore.

Yeah I categorize it with fyad, dunno what’s going on there but at the surface level appears to be bizarre and I don’t think deciphering 10 layers of irony is worth it. Also not thrilled whenever one of their posters does something terrible in the real world and reports say “the something awful forums, of which CSPAM represents everyone…”

The D&D thread seems to have stepped up moderation so it has some value and it is funny to see good faith questions about why we have not sailed a carrier air group into the Black Sea to attack Russia, or believing Russian oligarchs had 100% of their assets committed to the ruble and domestic stock market.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I think to an extent this is true, almost nobody outside NATO hawk circles thought Putin was dumb enough to take the bait. In the last couple weeks it seemed like there was a huge shift in tone with Zilensky when he started to be like "okay calm down" when like the Atlantic council kept predicting the attack several times per week and it started to impact the economy, and even Biden and UK/German officials seemed to change the tone to one that was more even until the last minute when Putin suddenly started those bizarre press conferences.

Of course that's pretty much entirely on Putin, I don't think there's really much anyone besides him could have reasonably done in the last couple months besides totally roll over that would have prevented an invasion. Putin's actions plus his unwillingness to compromise put him in this situation.

Though it seems really poorly planned, like Putin has some sort of chessmaster plan dreamed up in his head that ran into reality and prompted him to order the invasion instead.

NATO did not in any way force Putin's hand here. There are literal NATO countries on the border with Russia and none have ever attempted to do anything to Russia because outside of defending against their bullshit, no one really cares.

Ukraine has been under assault by Russia since they took Crimea and started propping up their "rebels" in the breakaway regions. Putin very clearly started amassing his troops months ago and prepped for the invasion. All intelligence indicated they were prepping to invade. I'm sure that we had actual messages either from Russia or their allies that communicated with us that they were planning on invading. One of their foreign ministers even said that they were invading on Feb 22 and 4 am (they did 2 days later). Putin's video announcing the start of the invasion was recorded three days before the invasion itself.

This was a long planned operation. Now, if you want to say that part of Putin's motivation is to create a buffer between himself and NATO, that argument might hold water if it weren't for fact that there are already NATO nations outside of Russia and this action is going to drive more countries to join NATO.

This is 100% Putin's war. No one forced his hand. He very clearly has stated he thinks that Ukraine should not exist as an independent polity and is working toward that end.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

NATO did not in any way force Putin's hand here. There are literal NATO countries on the border with Russia and none have ever attempted to do anything to Russia because outside of defending against their bullshit, no one really cares.

Ukraine has been under assault by Russia since they took Crimea and started propping up their "rebels" in the breakaway regions. Putin very clearly started amassing his troops months ago and prepped for the invasion. All intelligence indicated they were prepping to invade. I'm sure that we had actual messages either from Russia or their allies that communicated with us that they were planning on invading. One of their foreign ministers even said that they were invading on Feb 22 and 4 am (they did 2 days later). Putin's video announcing the start of the invasion was recorded three days before the invasion itself.

This was a long planned operation. Now, if you want to say that part of Putin's motivation is to create a buffer between himself and NATO, that argument might hold water if it weren't for fact that there are already NATO nations outside of Russia and this action is going to drive more countries to join NATO.

This is 100% Putin's war. No one forced his hand. He very clearly has stated he thinks that Ukraine should not exist as an independent polity and is working toward that end.

Also, and this is important, Russia has the world's largest nuclear arsenal. MAD is still a thing. Whether NATO has countries bordering Russia or not, nobody is going to threaten the territorial integrity of a major nuclear power.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Anytime someone brings up NATO did this and are entirely to blame, just say "It's a defensive alliance" and then walk away, because there are better things to do with your day then argue with dipshits who want to throw out talking points they heard from Jimmy Dore or whatever.

Mr. Nice! posted:

This guy gets it.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 25, 2022

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Turns out it Irelands fault

https://twitter.com/jonmarcstanley/status/1496626558437576704?s=21

-Some Tory who fucks children, probably.

https://arethebritsatitagain.org

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

And well, the whole last president blocking aide to Ukraine and lying about it and getting impeached thing. I am pretty sure that was also part of the long game setup for this.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Zhirinovski isn't a foreign minister but that makes the apparent fact that he seems to have known the invasion date that far back all the more baffling. That is def a tantalizing little detail that I can't wrap my head around.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

aphid_licker posted:

Zhirinovski isn't a foreign minister but that makes the apparent fact that he seems to have known the invasion date that far back all the more baffling. That is def a tantalizing little detail that I can't wrap my head around.

I misunderstood who he was, and that's on me. Thank you for the correction.

It's not baffling at all when you remember that Russia did all of this very much in the open. There's a reason everyone has been screaming "russia is about to invade ukraine"

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yes, that's what I said?

It's still surprising because it's an incredibly stupid move on Putin's part.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I'm very angry and disappointed about all this and frankly I can't really do anything but bitch about it on the internet and try and distract myself. The sanctions response sucks, letting Ukraine getting hosed sucks. I know it's dumb to go on about my stupid conspiracy theory poo poo about how it's all just to let some folks continue to make as much money as possible regardless of human suffering. It just sucks.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Split Ukraine like Germany after WW2, except instead of the FRG and GDR you get The Ukraine and Novorossiya. Novorossiya will democratically vote for Anschluss a couple of months or years down the line. The Ukraine will be deindustrialized and become a refugee camp for every Ukrainian who doesn't want to become a good Russian Russian-language-only citizen. Also, both countries will have puppet governments, and The Ukraine gets permanent military bases of Kadyrov Chechen peacekeepers, and no military of their own.

Something like that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yes, that's what I said?

It's still surprising because it's an incredibly stupid move on Putin's part.

Implying that there was "bait" for Putin to take removes his agency for this action. It means that he would not have invaded Ukraine but for "taking the bait."

There was no trap set up by NATO here. That's what I was responding to primarily in your post.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also the Kremlin has agreed to talk to Kyiv. No question whether that will be productive, but it's the first conversation since before invasion.

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/status/1497213233798647819

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I'm very angry and disappointed about all this and frankly I can't really do anything but bitch about it on the internet and try and distract myself. The sanctions response sucks, letting Ukraine getting hosed sucks. I know it's dumb to go on about my stupid conspiracy theory poo poo about how it's all just to let some folks continue to make as much money as possible regardless of human suffering. It just sucks.

I am baffled how now that Russia crossed every line suddenly now we have to consider the gas prices or whatever. It's a thousand times more justified than any other foreign policy move the US has done in years. If there's anytime to remove them from SWIFT and lock them out of most of the gas market the time was yesterday.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

Implying that there was "bait" for Putin to take removes his agency for this action. It means that he would not have invaded Ukraine but for "taking the bait."

There was no trap set up by NATO here. That's what I was responding to primarily in your post.

I mean in the sense that if was a war hawk with no regard for actual human life or Ukraine but putting Russia in a bad position Putin did exactly what I would want him to do. I explicitly said that given Putin's actions there's nothing anyone else could have done that was remotely reasonable that would have prevented war.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
om nom nom, me like war crimes

https://twitter.com/golub/status/1497211332571107332?t=hAgb98zSm-6aB-byMllc5w&s=19

I'm linking that because it seems to sync up with this, with an epic "Jesus loving Christ" face:

https://twitter.com/whossiry/status/1497209201638232071?t=2UB4yNOCXQtYsAp1jTeFcA&s=19

So turns out, when James Bond crushed cop cars in Goldeneye and everyone survived - it wasn't actually movie magic!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/golub/status/1497211332571107332?t=hAgb98zSm-6aB-byMllc5w&s=19

I'm linking that because it seems to sync up with this, with an epic "Jesus loving Christ" face:

https://twitter.com/whossiry/status/1497209201638232071?t=2UB4yNOCXQtYsAp1jTeFcA&s=19

So turns out, when James Bond crushed cop cars in Goldeneye and everyone survived - it wasn't actually movie magic!

This is going to get even more dark once the insurgency kicks off if they're doing poo poo like this already :(

All for some stupid Russian nationalist bullshit that most Russians don't even care much about.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Adding: there were NATO nations bordering SU 1949 - 1991 and that didn't start a war. Quite the opposite.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

Between this and "rogue Russian threatens to weaponize satellites meant for another purpose", this really IS Goldeneye.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

This is going to get even more dark once the insurgency kicks off if they're doing poo poo like this already :(

All for some stupid Russian nationalist bullshit that most Russians don't even care much about.

I've seen a lot of footage of that STRELA launcher running about alone, with quite a few comments indicating they'd lost their unit and were running around in a panic trying to find them, no doubt expecting a rocket from a rooftop any second, and so always on the move.
So probably not intentional that they ran over that car.

It looks like they skidded out of that left turn at the beginning, probably lost control?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That collision had been captured from another angle that had been filming a different incident. It looks like that was an accident, especially in the context of the video below (which may turn out to be a friendly fire incident). As always, take everything with a grain of sand.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1497217923106189313

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Mentioned this the other day. We are going to get to "babushkas hacking russian soldiers to death with kitchen knives" REAL quick in the social media age. Like, 48 hours, not 48 months.

Or, to paraphrase Archer: "Do you want people throwing molotov cocktails down your hatch? Because that's how you get people throwing molotov cocktails down your hatch."

Naked Bear posted:

That collision had been captured from another angle that had been filming a different incident. It looks like that was an accident, especially in the context of the video below (which may turn out to be a friendly fire incident). As always, take everything with a grain of sand.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1497217923106189313
Edit: It still doesn't seem all that accidential. Is moving along just fine and then happens to skid its way over a car. But also I know poo poo about poo poo.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I only saw the original tweet earlier and figured the driver was killed for sure, glad to see they were rescued.